daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 26th, 2009, 02:56 AM   #241
DennisRodman97
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

leave it the way it is ...if it aint broke dont try to fix it.....do u see the english premier league try to come to usa to make the MLS same as their league...leave it the way it is.
DennisRodman97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #242
SpicyMcHaggis

Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisRodman97 View Post
leave it the way it is ..
Couldn't agree more. No need to butcher both leagues for something that is certain to fail.
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #243
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
leave it the way it is ...if it aint broke dont try to fix it.....do u see the english premier league try to come to usa to make the MLS same as their league...leave it the way it is.
No not specifically, but you do see the Premier league trying to do this...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/7232378.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/7232390.stm
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #244
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9686

Quote:
Originally Posted by makimax View Post
dont exist minimal chance to succeed,no way .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizmo1337 View Post
I don't know if they will succeed......I guess quite a lot of (new) people would get interest in the sport.
Of course it will succeed in France (if the expansion happens).. It already did for the NBA Europe tour in Paris (2006 & 2008).

Despite we don't have the greatest euroleague teams here, Basketball is popular in France and in Paris, our assotiation is one of the oldest (founded in the 1920's), and this sport began in France in 1893 !!!

NBA in Paris :

French Basketball League in Paris :
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #245
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 557

Quote:
and this sport began in France in 1893 !!!
I've always heard differently, James Naismith (a Canadian) invented it in the USA.

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:58 AM   #246
SpicyMcHaggis

NBA with club called "Paris" would fail miserably simple because 99% of France would rather kill them self than support anything with "Paris" in clubs name. Same would happen in any other country except for UK. In UK there is no rivalry at this field so there wouldn't be problem
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:20 AM   #247
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlelife View Post
I've always heard differently, James Naismith (a Canadian) invented it in the USA.
I think he was saying that the sport came to France in 1893, which it did.
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:50 AM   #248
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Indeed !!! (sorry for the misunderstanding)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
NBA with club called "Paris" would fail miserably simple because 99% of France would rather kill them self than support anything with "Paris" in clubs name. Same would happen in any other country except for UK. In UK there is no rivalry at this field so there wouldn't be problem
You know, we don't care here in Paris, if the rest of France likes us or not, nothing new .... BTW it wont be 99 % because Paris is almost 20 % of France.

I think the 11,2 millions of inhabitants of Paris will be enough for support this team.... AND anyway it could take a similar name than the oldest multisport clubs of France (including Basketball since 1893): "Stade Français" and "Racing-Club de France".

In NBA there are teams who have the name of their state instead of the city !

Last edited by parcdesprinces; May 27th, 2009 at 03:19 AM.
Old May 27th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #249
DennisRodman97
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
why is that?
DennisRodman97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 03:18 AM   #250
SpicyMcHaggis

Quote:
why is that?
Because European basketball fans are the same people as the Euro football fans and i don't think that i need to explain you how things work there and all the hatred and riots that happen on weekly basis all over Europe. In England there is absolutely no basketball culture and fan support on local level so it might work there. Anywhere else, no way. Especially not in Italy, Germany or Greece.
Old May 27th, 2009, 03:30 AM   #251
tritown

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
AND anyway it could take a similar name than the oldest multisport clubs of France (including Basketball since 1893): "Stade Français" and "Racing-Club de France".
No way. More likely:

"Paris Bastilles"
"Paris Berets"

These dumb names are much more likely.
tritown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 03:44 AM   #252
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

I think eventually a trans-Atlantic or/and a trans-Pacific division league will be come to fruition or at least attempted, perhaps in a variety of sports. In both American and European sports leagues more then ever the big mega-clubs (often big metro's) are more richer, have more resources, and advantage. These days to make domestic leagues more competitive federations are forced to impose on larger clubs by things like revenue sharing or salary caps which the larget markets feel restricted by.

Perhaps my sentiment is sacrilegious to some but I think it would be exciting to have a league with say 10 teams from Asia, 10 from NA/SA, 10 from Europe. I would speculate in a hypothethical international soccer legaue for instance that if New York, D.C. or Chicago was put in a league overnight with the likes of Madrid, London, Munich, etc. with the talent to compete it would dwarf the modest crowds and appreciation the Chicago Fire gets now.

I think many who are so protective of keeping domestic leagues sacrosanct underestimate to the degree most fans of any potential sports are attracted to high level competition with top notch talent as the primary attraction.

Last edited by nomarandlee; October 31st, 2010 at 02:42 PM.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #253
Fizmo1337

Likes (Received): 61

@ nomarandlee

It could work in basket but not in soccer however. Soccer is based on rivalries and history between teams. Manchester United wants to play their rivals Liverpool or Arsenal or their city rivals Manchester City, not Chicago because they don't share any history or tradition whatsoever. Ok, with a lot of superstars you will certainly create more interest but still supporters of teams want to see the teams which they share a lot of tradition & rivalry with.

In basket it's possible because in the NBA they use franchises and you can change a team from a small city to a big city without any problems, no one will complain. On the other hand in european basket it's also the same system like in soccer. Tradition, history, rivalries. I'm sure european clubs want to play NBA teams but still the biggest match for panathinaikos will be saloniki (or whoever the rival is )

Based on the american system of franchises I understand you and I agree that it could be possible but based on the european system it will never happen.

Last edited by Fizmo1337; May 27th, 2009 at 06:33 PM.
Fizmo1337 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #254
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

Speaking of NBA and Paris. It was rather amusing that bit in Rush Hour 3 with the cabbie dissing the NBA(and Americans)

Now they have Susan Boyle.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #255
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Clichés......
Old June 10th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #256
kerouac1848

Likes (Received): 1536

Quote:
Ha ha, no regional rivalry in the UK? Well, for a start there is the whole 'English, Scottish, etc' business, then North vs. South in England (or better yet London vs. everyone else), not to mention inter-regional stuff (e.g. Newcastle & Sunderland; Liverpool & Manchester) . Seriously, I doubt anyone outside the South East (of England) would support a London team on the basis of it representing the UK; many have a chip on their shoulder about media bias and the London centric nature of the country (very similar to France and Paris in that respect).

Anyway, I am personally not a fan of this European division being spouted by the NBA. A much better concept would be a true European league of 32 teams to rival the NBA itself. There is already a strong support base stretching along the Med and into parts of Eastern Europe. I see no reason why there cannot be developments in certain locations of Northern, Western and Central parts of the continent.

The current problem in the UK (and France I believe, not sure about Germany or other places) is how to transfer the huge level of grassroot support (i.e. people playing) into a spectator audience. Basketball is probably the second most played sport after football, for U-18's at least. More schools have basketball courts than cricket or rugby pitches, especially in our cities/large towns where most of the nation live. There are also plenty (in London where I live at least) of street courts, which due to their size and material are much easier to build/maintain than grass fields. I think part of the problem is political (the cricket and rugby associations have a much larger influence over the media than the British basketball version and there isn't really room for a 4th major sport) and the other cultural, whereby it is seen as too American. Putting it within a European context and seeing the football-like atmosphere in Athens, Zagreb is much more appealing to a British/English audience than the plastic crap at NBA arenas (see the debate about football grounds).
kerouac1848 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #257
Mordaunt-S

Likes (Received): 3755

This is an idiotic idea that is determined to fail in my mind. Everything should just stay as it is in theory but with a looot of improvements in real life of course.
Mordaunt-S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 03:23 AM   #258
Topher51

Likes (Received): 88

Expanding the NBA or any American league across the Atlantic is a dumb idea. Instead, they should form some sort of alliance with the European leagues and play games that will count in each leagues standing against teams from the opposite continent. You could have the top 5 American teams playing the top 5 Euro teams, then the 6-10 teams, 11-15 teams, etc.

They should be real games though, exhibition games aren't a good idea b/c neither team will take it seriously, wont play defense and we'll end up with an all star game-ish 145-141 final every time. Besides, I am tired of the top notch Euro soccer teams coming to America and not trying. You Euro fans wouldnt want to see the basketball equivalent of that.

Hopefully one day it will evolve to the point where the champion of the USA could play the champion of Europe for the World Championship, similar to what the AFL and NFL did in the first few Super Bowls before the two leagues merged.
Topher51 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 01:43 AM   #259
sali_haci
High in the sky

Likes (Received): 2633

Three Balkan cities deserve such an event: Istanbul, Athens, Belgrade(maybe Zagreb)...
Big cities with big arenas, and a lot of basketball fans...

Other European cities that deserve such an event are Barcelona, Madrid, Moskow, Berlin, Rome or Bologna, some french city..
sali_haci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 01:49 AM   #260
Big Cat

Likes (Received): 4

Lithuania, Kaunas too - with it's newly 15,000 arena
Big Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote