daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 31st, 2009, 04:58 AM   #261
Sylver
Szef

Likes (Received): 1

Warsaw is planning to build a new 15k - 20k arena. Krakow proposed a 15k arena. Gliwice is going to build a 15k arena. In my opinion, Warsaw, should also be chosen as a city if it builds that proposed arena.

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2009, 09:54 PM   #262
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
Warsaw is planning to build a new 15k - 20k arena. Krakow proposed a 15k arena. Gliwice is going to build a 15k arena. In my opinion, Warsaw, should also be chosen as a city if it builds that proposed arena.
There are arenas in Europe that meet size requirements, but in addition to being 17k minimum and probably 18 or 19k, the arenas need the club seats, luxury suites and all of that other huge moneymaking things that NBA arenas have. That's what really separates NBA arenas from the rest.
ryebreadraz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:42 AM   #263
gradski
Registrirani korisnik

Likes (Received): 3266

NBA Europe for some 10-20 years
Without North

Western Conference: Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, London and Berlin
Eastern Conference: Moscow, Vilnius, Warsaw, Belgrade and Zagreb
Southern Conference: Tel Aviv, Istanbul, Athenas, Rome and Milano
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:48 AM   #264
SpicyMcHaggis

Likes (Received): 1795

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradski View Post
Without North

Why would we destroy perfectly good (and improving) Euroleague with some bastard child of NBA?
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 02:36 AM   #265
gradski
Registrirani korisnik

Likes (Received): 3266

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
Why would we destroy perfectly good (and improving) Euroleague with some bastard child of NBA?
I agree that the NBA waters bastards, as well as the Champions League in Europe
But our best players will always run in the NBA and Euroleague will never improve enough to get out of their shadows...
I think it's the only way to watching top basketball home
Old October 31st, 2010, 02:11 PM   #266
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2771

Quote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5742301

30, 2010, 8:08 AM ET
David Stern has plan for NBA in Europe

Associated Press

MIAMI -- The travel plans for NBA teams could be a bit more extensive a decade from now.

NBA commissioner David Stern told a luncheon audience in Miami on Friday that he envisions a five-team European division within the league sometime in the next 10 years.

It's not a new notion, but Stern's words nonetheless represented a strong stance that the NBA is more committed than ever to expansion and further globalizing the game.

"It's a wonderful topic, because 10 years ago, I said, 'Oh, it's inevitable, it'll happen in 10 years,' " Stern said, speaking to business leaders. "And now what I'm saying is, 'It's inevitable, it'll happen in 10 years.' But in terms of globalization, we're going to see a desire for franchises in Europe -- and in about 10 years, you'll send me a postcard."

As for now, the Nets and Raptors will play two regular-season games in London in March.

Stern also recently said the NBA plans a regular-season game in London sometime before the city hosts the 2012 Olympics. He was in town to attend the Miami Heat home opener against the Orlando Magic, the first real game in South Florida for LeBron James and Chris Bosh as Dwyane Wade's teammates.

The talk of European growth comes at a somewhat awkward time, with some in the league fearing that contracting current clubs could be an option as the NBA and players' association continues trying to bridge a wide gap in collective bargaining talks. Just last week, Stern suggested on a conference call with reporters that contraction may be on the table, but said he won't spend "a lot of time on it."

"I think we'll have a division and I think the Heat will play in Boston one night and then they'll go to Paris and spend a couple days on the Champs-Elysses shopping and relaxing," Stern said. "And then they'll go and play five teams. And when they finish that, they'll play them again. Then they'll come home, having had a nice trip to Europe and they'll be finished with their European obligations."

Orlando backup center Marcin Gortat, a native of Poland, didn't seem overjoyed about the idea.

Gortat said players wouldn't want to deal with the travel, that Stern wants to "control the whole world" and that expanding to Europe could hurt the NBA's standing as "the best league on earth."

"That's impossible. In my opinion, that's impossible," Gortat said of the notion. "That's just too much travel. I would just want it just to stay the way it is right now. And if we have to, just maybe expand from Canada."...............
Old October 31st, 2010, 02:47 PM   #267
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2771

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac1848 View Post
I think part of the problem is political (the cricket and rugby associations have a much larger influence over the media than the British basketball version and there isn't really room for a 4th major sport) and the other cultural, whereby it is seen as too American. Putting it within a European context and seeing the football-like atmosphere in Athens, Zagreb is much more appealing to a British/English audience than the plastic crap at NBA arenas (see the debate about football grounds).
I think if there was any such basketball union between the two continents that there would be some cultural exchange in the way the game is played. As an American I freely admit I prefer the European basketball (or college basketball culture) to the NBA. Back when I saw Jordan in the late 80's the stadims seem to be rocking but now often times the crowds seem to be relatively docile and lame. Perhaps wathcing games on TV with European supporters could inject a bit of the spirt and passion back in NBA fans.
Old October 31st, 2010, 03:43 PM   #268
SpicyMcHaggis

Likes (Received): 1795

Stern won't be in charge anymore in ~10 years, so those dumb plans will be abandoned.

Just do the "world title match" between the two champs and that will be it. Like i already said, there's really no point in butchering what are already 2 perfectly functional leagues.
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 03:46 PM   #269
JYDA

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I think if there was any such basketball union between the two continents that there would be some cultural exchange in the way the game is played. As an American I freely admit I prefer the European basketball (or college basketball culture) to the NBA. Back when I saw Jordan in the late 80's the stadims seem to be rocking but now often times the crowds seem to be relatively docile and lame. Perhaps wathcing games on TV with European supporters could inject a bit of the spirt and passion back in NBA fans.
The problem with NBA atmosphere is the clientele. The tickets are sooo expensive that only the pampered and the corporate can afford to attend games without requiring the use of binoculars. It's an unsolvable problem unless they want to give up ticket revenue which is never going to happen. The NBA is more like a night out at the theatre as opposed to going to support your team.

I agree with you on culture. I much prefer college basketball to the pros. It`s so much more pure and organic than the NBA. The players are passionate, the fans are passionate, every single game matters. The European game is so much more in line with this. I hope the NBA stays out of Europe and lets the Euroleague grow.
JYDA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 06:17 PM   #270
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
The problem with NBA atmosphere is the clientele. The tickets are sooo expensive that only the pampered and the corporate can afford to attend games without requiring the use of binoculars. It's an unsolvable problem unless they want to give up ticket revenue which is never going to happen. The NBA is more like a night out at the theatre as opposed to going to support your team.

I agree with you on culture. I much prefer college basketball to the pros. It`s so much more pure and organic than the NBA. The players are passionate, the fans are passionate, every single game matters. The European game is so much more in line with this. I hope the NBA stays out of Europe and lets the Euroleague grow.
spot-on

plus you'll never see this at an NBA game:

don't know if that's entirely a bad thing though
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 08:21 PM   #271
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
Stern won't be in charge anymore in ~10 years, so those dumb plans will be abandoned.

Just do the "world title match" between the two champs and that will be it. Like i already said, there's really no point in butchering what are already 2 perfectly functional leagues.
But you can bet that Stern handpicks his successor so yeah, those plans will still be in place and why wouldn't they? You may not want the NBA in Europe, but the NBA makes no money off of the Euro League. Expanding to Europe just gives the league millions and millions of more people to sell to.
Old October 31st, 2010, 08:52 PM   #272
koolio

Likes (Received): 1558

I hope the NBA doesn't expand into Europe. They have a good thing going on with their Euroleague ... NBA will just ruin the entire thing. It will be like the English Premier League expanding into North America just when MLS is beginning to come on its own. It won't be beneficial to anyone.
koolio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 09:14 PM   #273
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
I hope the NBA doesn't expand into Europe. They have a good thing going on with their Euroleague ... NBA will just ruin the entire thing. It will be like the English Premier League expanding into North America just when MLS is beginning to come on its own. It won't be beneficial to anyone.
Except the NBA. Like it or not, I think we need to accept the reality that there's too much money for the NBA to make and at some point the NBA will be in Europe. The question isn't how we can stop it, but how to make it best work.
Old October 31st, 2010, 09:48 PM   #274
Aiwa

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradski View Post
Without North

Am.. Do you really believe that Vilnius is and will ever be better team than Kaunas Zalgiris?
Besides Siemens arena is way smaller than Zalgiris Arena in Kaunas which will be able to hold up to 17800 spectators during basketball games.
Old October 31st, 2010, 09:54 PM   #275
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 6001

I think the NBA should be more focused on rebuilding it's reputation in the U.S and many of it's existing franchises before creating more in Europe. Not to mention further diluting the talent pool. There is still room for expansion still in North America still with cities like St. Louis/K.C., Montreal, Seattle, etc.

If they were to put teams in Europe, it should be in markets that don't really have popular basketball teams. London would seem like the best fit. Maybe some other city in the UK (Manchester/Birmingham?), Amsterdam, Germany, etc. Seems like a dick move to try to compete with existing, popular Euroleague teams in Spain, Italy, Turkey, Greece, Croatia, etc.

Overall, college games have much more atmosphere. Unlike college or soccer, there isn't much fan organization in the NBA. You have the rich, corporate types with season tickets in the lower bowl and the unorganized masses who probally just bought a ticket in the nosebleeds/upper level. Cheering sections aren't going to happen for those reasons and the best atmosphere you will get is pure noise. It's the same with the NFL. Some cheering sections are starting to pop up like here in Milwaukee, which was funded by a player who wanted a more livlier atmosphere. NBA arenas are often quiet during the regular season, but the atmosphere can still be electric during the postseason or close games.

El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 10:11 PM   #276
koolio

Likes (Received): 1558

No. There is no guarantee that this will be beneficial to the NBA either. First of all, we are assuming that even within the limited basketball market in Europe, the NBA has enough prestige that it can come in and wrangle all support away from the Euroleague fans right away. That is hardly a guarantee. I suspect that Euroleague and the NBA will end up fighting for the same, very small segment of market that cares about basketball and this won't benefit either league.

Either way, I don't think anyone is debating about what we can do to stop it. It is quite obvious that there are enough challenges as it is that no one needs to do anything to make it stop. If the NBA wants European money, it better do what every other sport does. Be engaged in a multi-league tournament ala Champions League.
koolio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 11:41 PM   #277
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 145

I bet the NBA would like Barcelona, London, Athens, Berlin, and Paris, but I bet European expansion doesn't happen ever anyways.
Archbishop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 06:09 AM   #278
MS20

Likes (Received): 2

London could work, maybe Paris. Simply because basketball is irrelevant in England and theres no established team in basketball. Barcelona, Athens and Berlin already have established European basketball teams, it would never work.
MS20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 06:23 AM   #279
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

Maybe if the were all-star teams, with the biggest names of the top 2-3 clubs of each country. Actually I still don't know what exactly NBA style league is and how it works, to be honest.
ReiAyanami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #280
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10970

England's a really bizarre first choice unless one's purely looking at the potential revenue generating ability of a market. England is not a basketball country.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote