daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #281
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10784

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
spot-on
x2

I'd only go to NBA if it were free. I'd pay quite a bit of money for college basketball though. Even high school basketball has far better atmosphere and entertainment value than the NBA. That league's managed to make a great game, tedious and soul less.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #282
SpicyMcHaggis

Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
England's a really bizarre first choice unless one's purely looking at the potential revenue generating ability of a market. England is not a basketball country.
Because London doesn't have established team like other big European cities where fans wouldn't give up on their Euroleague team because of some franchise in league with clubs they have absolutely no rivalry with.
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #283
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10784

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
Because London doesn't have established team like other big European cities where fans wouldn't give up on their Euroleague team because of some franchise in league with clubs they have absolutely no rivalry with.
The answer to the NBA in Europe is in your response. Europeans who like basketball already have leagues and teams of their own. Europeans should concentrate on building their own leagues and teams up rather than bringing in a competing league. All the NBA will do is wreck what's taken many people lots of time and money to build.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #284
footballff
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Europe should have their own NBA/NFL/MLB. Great sports with great potential.
footballff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #285
SpicyMcHaggis

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballff View Post
Europe should have their own NBA/NFL/MLB. Great sports with great potential.
Europe has its own NBA and its called Euroleague.

NFL and MLB don't have required fan base.
Old November 5th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #286
AMUCK

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
spot-on

plus you'll never see this at an NBA game:

don't know if that's entirely a bad thing though
Really any NBA team has fans like that, the thing is the NBA is a professional league. If someone did that in the NBA it would be seen as a little much, people would look at him/her as a crazy drunk person, the person would probably be taken out of the arena but because that was college and you're dealing with students it's fun and creative.

That said the NBA does not lack passion, it may be displayed differently but if you look closely you'll find there is plenty of it. To me the NBA's quality of play is far superior to college which is why I'm not much of a fan of college basketball. As the game grows globally and fan-bases like those in europe become much more visible I'm sure they'll be a little shift in the way people cheer their team here in the states.
AMUCK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #287
Andre_idol
Fluorescent Adolescent

Likes (Received): 417

I think the best option is play a couple of games in some European cities like they will do this season. Include European teams in a NBA championship would be an awful logistic problem...after all 30 teams would have to come to Europe.
Old November 6th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #288
URSUS

Likes (Received): 10

Being a lifelong NBA and basketball fan as well as being a supporter of a Euroleague team (Fenerbahce); I deffinitely do not want a European NBA conference. We should concentrate on making the Euroleague better instead.

I mean I can't see myself giving a damn about some team called the Istanbul Ottomans and whether they beat Portland. I'd much rather play against other Turkish teams and the usual rivals i.e. Greek, Serbian, Spanish, Italian teams.

As the Euroleague gets better they could possibly establish an official "World Championship game" or final four series between the two leagues' finalists as in football.
URSUS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #289
Andre_idol
Fluorescent Adolescent

Likes (Received): 417

Yup...kinda like a special cup or something would be interesting.
Old November 6th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #290
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by URSUS View Post
Being a lifelong NBA and basketball fan as well as being a supporter of a Euroleague team (Fenerbahce); I deffinitely do not want a European NBA conference. We should concentrate on making the Euroleague better instead.

I mean I can't see myself giving a damn about some team called the Istanbul Ottomans and whether they beat Portland. I'd much rather play against other Turkish teams and the usual rivals i.e. Greek, Serbian, Spanish, Italian teams.

As the Euroleague gets better they could possibly establish an official "World Championship game" or final four series between the two leagues' finalists as in football.
This is precisely what David Stern does not understand. He should go to Europe and hear from more fans like yourself.
JYDA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #291
Martuh
×××

Likes (Received): 23

And no-one is mentioning the failure of NFL Europe?

||| X |||
|||
X |||
|||
X |||
Martuh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #292
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martuh View Post
And no-one is mentioning the failure of NFL Europe?
different situation. The sport wasn't as popular and it was essentially a developmental minor league. An NBA division in Europe would bring in basketball stars on a weekly basis, have international flair (something the NFL doesnt) and exhibit the best basketball competition in the world. LeBron James, Pau Gasol, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwayne Wade, Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, Kevin Durant, etc. would sell tickets.
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #293
Capital78

Likes (Received): 3

Europe has it's own league and it has to stay as it is!
Capital78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 03:31 AM   #294
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 145

I'd rather see Euroleague improve and become a competitor than for the NBA to put expansion teams in Europe.
Archbishop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #295
SpicyMcHaggis

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Mariachi View Post
different situation. The sport wasn't as popular and it was essentially a developmental minor league. An NBA division in Europe would bring in basketball stars on a weekly basis, have international flair (something the NFL doesnt) and exhibit the best basketball competition in the world. LeBron James, Pau Gasol, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwayne Wade, Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, Kevin Durant, etc. would sell tickets.
Maybe for 2, 3 games, but sure as hell no in long term. You guys don't seem to be realizing exactly how European sports work and how average fan here thinks. No one would give a damn about 90% of NBA teams.. hell i'm pretty sure that only Lakers and Heat could fill the Arenas.. while on other hand PAO, Oly, CSKA etc can fill them anywhere and anytime in Europe. It's different league, different fans and different rivals. Leave it be.
Old November 8th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #296
_doc_

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Maybe for 2, 3 games, but sure as hell no in long term. You guys don't seem to be realizing exactly how European sports work and how average fan here thinks. No one would give a damn about 90% of NBA teams.. hell i'm pretty sure that only Lakers and Heat could fill the Arenas.. while on other hand PAO, Oly, CSKA etc can fill them anywhere and anytime in Europe. It's different league, different fans and different rivals. Leave it be.
Totally agree with you....No matter how much talent there is in a NBA team...they cannot fill a European areana for more than a week...It will be something new for 2 or 3 games, some of us will go and watch it like a new film, but then what...? Plus we are not talking about moving an existing NBA team to Athens for example....We are talking about ESTABLISHING a NEW team....Do you understand how UN-European this is??

Team owners in Europe CANNOT move their team from one city to another for example, in case the owner does receive what he would regard as a proper income...Just to give the Americans of the forum an idea of what would something like that, mean to the US standards....Imagine the scenario of a corporation buying the statue of Liberty and moving it to Denver because the number of visitors in New York is reducing...It is pretty much the same thing in Europe...Just ask some of Spanish, Russian, Greek, Turkish and Italian basketball fans...Ask a Barcelona basketball fan what he would think about his team moving from Barcelona....
Most teams/multisports clubs in Europe have a tradition, a history and in some cases even a political "substance" in their spirit....TAU in Spain for example comes from the Basque country....Panathinaikos in Athens for more than 100 years was the traditional Athens club (not just basketball team)...Madrid was always the King's club in Spain....CSKA in Moscow was related with the Soviet army back in the times Soviet Union....I am pretty sure relevant roots are existing in Turkish clubs as well...
Anyway....all I am trying to say is that in Europe sport are more than an attractive style of playing the game and I hope that the Americans will soon realize that for the sake of their investment...
_doc_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #297
Capital78

Likes (Received): 3

Stern will probably invite huge cities as London, Paris, Berlin, Moscow, Madrid. Anyway, I'm sure the NBA Europe idea won't work.
Capital78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #298
El Mariachi

Quote:
First off, you are assuming that the NBA would move to markets that already have established clubs or that these large European cities can't support more than one team. Moscow can support more than one team. As could Paris, London, Madrid, Milan, Amsterdam, or any other major European city. I highly doubt that nobody would give a damn that the best players (American and international) are coming into their town every week. I don't mean for that to sound arrogant or anything, but I think we can agree that it's the truth at this moment. I don't think you are giving Europe enough credit here in the ability to support more than one thing.

But no, it wouldn't work unless there are rivalries. That can only happen if there were quite a few NBA teams in Europe and that's not going to happen. 5 teams in major cities scattered across Europe ain't gonna cut it.
Old November 9th, 2010, 06:55 AM   #299
El Mariachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by _doc_ View Post
Totally agree with you....No matter how much talent there is in a NBA team...they cannot fill a European areana for more than a week...It will be something new for 2 or 3 games, some of us will go and watch it like a new film, but then what...? Plus we are not talking about moving an existing NBA team to Athens for example....We are talking about ESTABLISHING a NEW team....Do you understand how UN-European this is??

Team owners in Europe CANNOT move their team from one city to another for example, in case the owner does receive what he would regard as a proper income...Just to give the Americans of the forum an idea of what would something like that, mean to the US standards....Imagine the scenario of a corporation buying the statue of Liberty and moving it to Denver because the number of visitors in New York is reducing...It is pretty much the same thing in Europe...Just ask some of Spanish, Russian, Greek, Turkish and Italian basketball fans...Ask a Barcelona basketball fan what he would think about his team moving from Barcelona....
Most teams/multisports clubs in Europe have a tradition, a history and in some cases even a political "substance" in their spirit....TAU in Spain for example comes from the Basque country....Panathinaikos in Athens for more than 100 years was the traditional Athens club (not just basketball team)...Madrid was always the King's club in Spain....CSKA in Moscow was related with the Soviet army back in the times Soviet Union....I am pretty sure relevant roots are existing in Turkish clubs as well...
Anyway....all I am trying to say is that in Europe sport are more than an attractive style of playing the game and I hope that the Americans will soon realize that for the sake of their investment...
You are right about alot of things here, but like Spicy, I think you aren't giving Europeans enough credit. Not every sports fan or potential sports fan there is hardcore about these things. The NBA can hook the casual fan with the hype, the show, and the starpower. It might not have as much meaning as historic teams, but I think there would always be an audience. It is quite possible to support two teams btw. Here in the U.S., most people support a college team along with a pro team. College sports are like your soccer or basketball where they can't be moved and have historical ties to the community. Granted, many pro teams in the U.S. have those same historical ties and community support (especially NFL teams).
Old November 9th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #300
SpicyMcHaggis

Quote:
First off, you are assuming that the NBA would move to markets that already have established clubs or that these large European cities can't support more than one team. Moscow can support more than one team. As could Paris, London, Madrid, Milan, Amsterdam, or any other major European city.
You just don't get it... NO ONE would stop supporting their team.. our teams are deeply connected with entire community and they are usually multiple sport organization. You think that people in Moscow, Madrid, Barcelona, Athens wouldn't support club like Real, Barca, PAO, CSKA for some new nameless franchise? You have no idea how deluded if you are if that's the case... and no, there's no place for multiple clubs if they aren't already established. It just doesn't work like that in Europe.. new clubs don't simply "open".. you support club you are somehow born into. This isn't US franchised sport. Most of the clubs don't even have owners and are not public. Its completely different sports culture and way of looking at it and you are seriously wrong if you think that "your way" could pass.

Paris, Milan, Amsterdam? Get real please.. there's absolutely no basketball audience in either of those cities. That would be major debacle.

Quote:
I highly doubt that nobody would give a damn that the best players (American and international) are coming into their town every week.
90% of the NBA teams mean absolutely nothing to average European fan. Place Real Madrid - PAO and the Madrid NBA - Dallas Mavericks at the same time and let me know how many people showed up for the Mavs game.

Quote:
I don't mean for that to sound arrogant or anything, but I think we can agree that it's the truth at this moment. I don't think you are giving Europe enough credit here in the ability to support more than one thing.
Europe can support multiple clubs, of course that it can. Big towns have plenty of teams in all possible sports, but those are all established teams from which some are even older than 100 years. We don't know concept of "creating" a new team/franchise. If someone here wants to build a big club he takes over existing one with existing fan base. Other ways simply don't work... trust me on that one

Call us arrogant if you want, but people here don't simply start rooting for club that was suddenly relocated in their town like it happens in USA. There's only one case in all sports that i can remember and that was when AFC Wimbledon went bust and new owner relocated them to Milton Keynes. Do i even have to mention that probably youth teams in Milton Keynes have bigger attendance than the MK Dons (who play in what is already respectable and pro league).

Quote:
But no, it wouldn't work unless there are rivalries. That can only happen if there were quite a few NBA teams in Europe and that's not going to happen. 5 teams in major cities scattered across Europe ain't gonna cut it.
But why would you do that? I'm huge fan of both NBA and Euroleague and they are both just fantastic on its own. They are perfectly functional as they are now and why should they be butchered? What they should do is create some sort of "Supercup" match between the league winners and that's it.