daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 31st, 2008, 01:05 PM   #21
SpicyMcHaggis

Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Met View Post
When NBA commissioner David Stern announced his ambitions to put a permanent NBA Division in Europe, he said that the main thing in the way was a lack of NBA arenas. What cities have what is considered an NBA arena and what cities are planning to or building these arenas?
That will never happen here... sports mentality is just different. To Olympiacos (richest Euro team) game against PAO is 10x more important and bigger than game against Lakers... At least it wouldn't happen with current teams. Only way it could happen it would be with completely new formed teams.

Apart from London and perhaps in Berlin (with one big maybe) i don't see fans abandoning their old teams. Especially not in Athens, Belgrade, Istanbul, Moscow or any other city that has Arena required. As for Arenas... Berlin, London, Belgrade, Zagreb, Kaunas, Moscow, Madrid, Barcelona, Athens, Istanbul, Koln, Hamburg, Prague and thats about it... perhaps i missed 1 or 2.

Last edited by SpicyMcHaggis; December 31st, 2008 at 01:21 PM.
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2008, 04:01 PM   #22
Ballota
Powered by Jet-A1

Likes (Received): 23239

Split?

__|__
\_______O(-)O_______/
" " "

Ballota no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 04:21 PM   #23
SpicyMcHaggis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballota View Post
Split?
First finish in top10 in NLB league once in 5 years
Old December 31st, 2008, 06:44 PM   #24
Ballota
Powered by Jet-A1

Likes (Received): 23239

We're talking about the infrastructure here, not results.

__|__
\_______O(-)O_______/
" " "

Ballota no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 06:56 PM   #25
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
Apart from London and perhaps in Berlin (with one big maybe) i don't see fans abandoning their old teams. Especially not in Athens, Belgrade, Istanbul, Moscow or any other city that has Arena required. .

To be honest I don't think any of those cities would be well considered candidate for the immediate future (2-10 years) anyhow. It could possibly apply to the Spanish and Italian cases though.
Old December 31st, 2008, 08:25 PM   #26
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

i dont think it would be smart to have the teams too far in eastern europe. remember that some players are going to have to fly a very very long time to get to some of these cities. Anything past Germany should be out of the question. If i had to pick 4 cities it would be London, Paris, Madrid, and Berlin. You have to pick big name cities because the home fan base in the US would have to stay interested, and honestly a lot of them wont care about a team thats somewhere thats not notable. I dont think this is ever going to happen. Think about if one of the European teams were in the playoffs and how they would have to travel back and forth. It just wouldnt work.
Old December 31st, 2008, 08:34 PM   #27
Mr. Met

Likes (Received): 3

What about Athens, also you mentioned playoffs, leagues are generous with travel days so it shouldn't be an issue, plus both teams need to make the transatlantic journey
Mr. Met no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 08:57 PM   #28
DennisRodman97
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

This is unlikely to happen....what the NBA can do is create NBA Europe where top europeans clubs compete and the NBA can make money from that. NBA already created NBA China...10% of all current NBA revenue comes from china.....thats not counting the soon to be created NBA china. Creating NBA Europe the NBA will own about 50% while the europeans 50%......I think a team flying from boston or L.A to play a playoff game in paris or berlin is ridiculous.
DennisRodman97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 09:03 PM   #29
DennisRodman97
BANNED

Wikipedia: Another nickname for Bologna, Italy is the Basket City, referring to Bologna's obsession with basketball, which is somewhat unusual in football-dominated Italy. The local derby between the city's two principal basketball clubs, Fortitudo and Virtus (often called after the clubs' principal sponsors), is intense,

Hot basketball spots like Bologna, italy will make a good NBA Europe team

Virtus bologna games
Old December 31st, 2008, 09:10 PM   #30
Bori427

Likes (Received): 1798

Brits are pretty bad at basketball right?
Bori427 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 09:11 PM   #31
DennisRodman97
BANNED

Using the Euroleague to create NBA Europe they can create a league of 20 teams from spain (2 teams), italy(2 teams), lithuania, russia(2), croatia, serbia, germany, france, greece(2), czech rep, slovenia, turkey, israel, latvia, ukraine
Old December 31st, 2008, 11:23 PM   #32
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
i dont think it would be smart to have the teams too far in eastern europe. remember that some players are going to have to fly a very very long time to get to some of these cities. Anything past Germany should be out of the question. If i had to pick 4 cities it would be London, Paris, Madrid, and Berlin. You have to pick big name cities because the home fan base in the US would have to stay interested, and honestly a lot of them wont care about a team thats somewhere thats not notable. I dont think this is ever going to happen. Think about if one of the European teams were in the playoffs and how they would have to travel back and forth. It just wouldnt work.
What? the flying times from the east coast of the USA to the west are comparable with flying to Europe. 1 or 2 hours difference is nothing.

If they were in the playoffs they'd never have to travel further east than chicago as they'd be in the eastern conference.. A schedule could easily be produced which is robust. The days rest between games for flying... it's not difficult!
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 09:50 AM   #33
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
What? the flying times from the east coast of the USA to the west are comparable with flying to Europe. 1 or 2 hours difference is nothing.

If they were in the playoffs they'd never have to travel further east than chicago as they'd be in the eastern conference.. A schedule could easily be produced which is robust. The days rest between games for flying... it's not difficult!
well...um...no.

The west coast of the US is 3 hours behind the east coast. The time difference isnt really a big deal, but trust me, it has an effect on the players. Eastern players hate having to take a west coast road trip and vice versa. London is 5 hours ahead of the US east coast. Thats a significant difference. It would create problems with viewing the game on TV and would be a pain overall. Now, if a west coast team was playing in London, thats 8 hours. You dont think thats significant? It simply cant be done, even with rest days to acclimate to the time difference, because eventually they will have to go back and deal with the time problem all over again. And viewing those games would again, be extremely difficult for the fans in the US. You cant allow for rest days either. Being that the NBA works on an 82 game schedule there simply wouldnt be any time to allow it. And you especially couldnt do it in the playoffs...they last long enough as it is. To sum up, the idea for the NBA to expand into Europe is just that- an idea. And not even a good one. Its far fetched and outrageous. Players wouldnt stand for it and the NBA would get themselves into a whole lot of trouble if they even seriously considered it. Sorry, but its very, very far from simple. In fact, it might be one of the harder things i can think of trying.
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:22 AM   #34
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
well...um...no.

The west coast of the US is 3 hours behind the east coast. The time difference isnt really a big deal, but trust me, it has an effect on the players. Eastern players hate having to take a west coast road trip and vice versa. London is 5 hours ahead of the US east coast. Thats a significant difference. It would create problems with viewing the game on TV and would be a pain overall. Now, if a west coast team was playing in London, thats 8 hours. You dont think thats significant? It simply cant be done, even with rest days to acclimate to the time difference, because eventually they will have to go back and deal with the time problem all over again. And viewing those games would again, be extremely difficult for the fans in the US. You cant allow for rest days either. Being that the NBA works on an 82 game schedule there simply wouldnt be any time to allow it. And you especially couldnt do it in the playoffs...they last long enough as it is. To sum up, the idea for the NBA to expand into Europe is just that- an idea. And not even a good one. Its far fetched and outrageous. Players wouldnt stand for it and the NBA would get themselves into a whole lot of trouble if they even seriously considered it. Sorry, but its very, very far from simple. In fact, it might be one of the harder things i can think of trying.
I don't agree it can't be done. East-West U.S. takes 5.5-6.5 hours flying. East coast-London takes around 7-8 hours. Not a major difference. As long as you have teams make their Atlantic road trips a block of games and have four in a row in Europe it could be done without much headache. Then you have European teams come over here and play in blocks of 4-5 game stretches in regions so as to cut down on travel.

Most US-European games played in Europe would likely be played during their night and our day time and U.S.-Europe games based in the U.S. would be best for early day starts and weekend games when possible.

Heck, the time travel and adjustments couldn't be any worse then when professional players use to travel across the country to play ball games every few days by train. By comparison modern day Atlantic travel is a breeze. It is not like players are sucking it up in coach. If a player is really that averse to it then sign up with a western conference team which only would have to make the Euro trip once per year or so.

The marketing potential and intrigue in letting large Euro markets is likely worth it in my opinion.
Old January 1st, 2009, 11:24 AM   #35
SpicyMcHaggis

Instead of creating hybrid leagues and ruining 2 which are doing just fine at the moment they should rather make "final 4" or even "final 8" tournament. One year it would be played in Europe, next year in USA and so on... No traveling, no time zone issues for players... Euroleague would obviously send final 4 participants (finalists or all 4, depending on size of the tournament) and NBA would send division finalists. It would be great, it would work and i'm sure there would be tons of interes in it.
Old January 1st, 2009, 02:45 PM   #36
berkshire royal

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bori427 View Post
Brits are pretty bad at basketball right?
From what I have read we’re getting better, we just qualified for the European Championships for first time in something like 20+ years and there was a newspaper report on a guy who plays in the NBA who is supposed to be a star and it also said there are ½ others in the NBA who could play for the UK but are undecided at the moment as to whether they would be interested in playing for the UK.

The sport isn't popular in terms of viewing and attending, but it is quite popular in some parts of the country in terms of kids playing (especially London) the problem is that until recently there was no infrastructure in this country for basketball what so ever. The sport doesn’t get much coverage and isn’t advertised much, the good kids quite often go unnoticed because they don't join their local club because they are not aware of it and because of this no pro teams know about them and they go unnoticed. Having a team in London is common sense though, it has one of the most modern arenas in Europe, it is one of the biggest cities in Europe and it definitely would help to improve the popularity of the sport.

Also it wouldn’t make sense to put a team in Manchester. The M.E.N arena is definitely modern enough, I just don’t think the team would perform well and would struggle to sell out the arena which you don’t want when you are trying to make a strong league.

The cities that are obvious choices are London, Berlin, Moscow, Athens and Paris.
berkshire royal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 03:55 PM   #37
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshire royal View Post
From what I have read we’re getting better, we just qualified for the European Championships for first time in something like 20+ years and there was a newspaper report on a guy who plays in the NBA who is supposed to be a star and it also said there are ½ others in the NBA who could play for the UK but are undecided at the moment as to whether they would be interested in playing for the UK.

The sport isn't popular in terms of viewing and attending, but it is quite popular in some parts of the country in terms of kids playing (especially London) the problem is that until recently there was no infrastructure in this country for basketball what so ever. The sport doesn’t get much coverage and isn’t advertised much, the good kids quite often go unnoticed because they don't join their local club because they are not aware of it and because of this no pro teams know about them and they go unnoticed. Having a team in London is common sense though, it has one of the most modern arenas in Europe, it is one of the biggest cities in Europe and it definitely would help to improve the popularity of the sport.

Also it wouldn’t make sense to put a team in Manchester. The M.E.N arena is definitely modern enough, I just don’t think the team would perform well and would struggle to sell out the arena which you don’t want when you are trying to make a strong league.

The cities that are obvious choices are London, Berlin, Moscow, Athens and Paris.
i hate it when i see kids throwing a basketball around in Arsenal tops in hackney, alot of urban kids in London only play basketball because it's american and cool. I liked basketball at school but i woulda slapped any kid playing basketball on my estate... back in the day that is, i am older and wiser now.

I do agree though London does have an appetite for basketball, there's that youtube video of that guy owning that NBA star who happens to be on a court in Brixton, was funny!
Old January 1st, 2009, 04:38 PM   #38
SIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
i hate it when i see kids throwing a basketball around in Arsenal tops in hackney, alot of urban kids in London only play basketball because it's american and cool. I liked basketball at school but i woulda slapped any kid playing basketball on my estate... back in the day that is, i am older and wiser now.

I do agree though London does have an appetite for basketball, there's that youtube video of that guy owning that NBA star who happens to be on a court in Brixton, was funny!
Speaking as someone who used to play soccer in his Bulls jersey when he was a kid. Actually last time I played Basketball, I think was wearing a Messi shirt (I was in Mexico, so even my wack skills wowed them...haha). Don't hate stuff just because it's American. I mean, middle-class kids in the US like music just because it's English. It goes both ways.
SIC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 04:56 PM   #39
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
Speaking as someone who used to play soccer in his Bulls jersey when he was a kid. Actually last time I played Basketball, I think was wearing a Messi shirt (I was in Mexico, so even my wack skills wowed them...haha). Don't hate stuff just because it's American. I mean, middle-class kids in the US like music just because it's English. It goes both ways.
i don't hate america or american media, i just hate the way Black british kids use the N word because they have been influenced by american media, when i was growing up in the 1990s the word was unbelievably taboo now everyone uses it. Same goes with your sports and music!

American culture is diluting ours in a lot of ways, and although i'm for the NBA in London i don't want this to be the first rung on the ladder to us becoming the "psychological" 51st state, we got our own sports!
Old January 1st, 2009, 05:37 PM   #40
masterpaul
(Nilaul)

Likes (Received): 215

greece can even have 5 teams in NBA europe