daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 1st, 2009, 05:52 PM   #41
DennisRodman97
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

There is no World Club basketball tournament.....like in soccer....thats another tournament that can be created
DennisRodman97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2009, 05:54 PM   #42
lunarCarpet

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bori427 View Post
Brits are pretty bad at basketball right?
Bori, remember it's not about national teams, it about which places are the most marketable in order to support an 82 games season without losing $$$. Anyway, to answer your question, historically, yes they've sucked for many years, but with the addition of a few NBA and Euroleague players, they have improved in the past 4-5 years.
lunarCarpet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 06:02 PM   #43
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

ain't it like the NHL, hardly any american players and is still moderately sucessful in the cold parts of the states!

In the 50/60s with the original 6 teams were near enough exclusively candian despite 4 of the 6 teams playing in the states.

Based on that you don't need local players for a succesful franchise, you need superstars!!!
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 06:41 PM   #44
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

well hardly is a slight overstatement. but I get what you mean.
Tons of Canadians and Russians, Finns, Swedes, Czechs, playing in the US for US franchises.
This European division idea would be a huge change in the basketball world. especially if this Euro division had some crazy american superstars on the team, and also home-grown european superstars on these teams as well, I think they would have high attendance.

I think Eurobasket would be more than alittle upset, am I right?
It would be like the Premiership opening a U.S. Division, while the MLS tries to maintain credibility.
Rizzato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 07:28 PM   #45
dande

Likes (Received): 27

Hard to imagine spoiled, overpaid players schlepping all the way to Europe on regular basis during the season. The cities most suitable to have a NBA franchise aren´t usually in countries with big basketball tradition, however with large communitys of expats and by just having large population could fill 15000 plus arena.
I think cities like Athens, Rome, Belgrade, Zagreb, Madrid, Barcelona, Milano, Moscow would be good hosts but they are lightyears away from the US. Difficult to imagine nr 1 draft pick looking forward moving to Athens or Zagreb.
dande no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 07:37 PM   #46
bigbossman

^ they wouldn't choose athens or zagreb, they would choose western european cities, with massive populations... London, Paris, Rome, Madrid, Berlin etc
Old January 1st, 2009, 08:43 PM   #47
Ruksi
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
^ they wouldn't choose athens or zagreb, they would choose western european cities, with massive populations... London, Paris, Rome, Madrid, Berlin etc
hm...
sorry but why they wouldn't choose Zagreb???
Zagreb idefinitly deserves that
Ruksi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:51 PM   #48
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Zagreb is a great city worthy of a team I am sure. However it is only a metro of just over a million. There are American metros that are under 2 million that should perhaps not even have a team. Cities absolutely need to be from large metros (+4-5 million I think would be ideal) with a robust middle class and corporate base. Plus, any European teams would be quasi-national teams as much as municipal teams so putting them in a market that could be broadcast games potentially to a 40-60+million audiences would be a major consideration.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:47 AM   #49
SIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzato View Post
I think Eurobasket would be more than alittle upset, am I right?
It would be like the Premiership opening a U.S. Division, while the MLS tries to maintain credibility.
Well as an MLS fan, I would say. Bring it on!

Let the best league win.

Although FIFA would never allow it.

The NBA is bigger than...is it FIBA? Yeah, what's FIBA gonna do? Ban NBA players for international competition. I don't think the NBA would care, they'd prefer more rest for it's players.
SIC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:57 AM   #50
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
Well as an MLS fan, I would say. Bring it on!

Let the best league win.

Although FIFA would never allow it.

The NBA is bigger than...is it FIBA? Yeah, what's FIBA gonna do? Ban NBA players for international competition. I don't think the NBA would care, they'd prefer more rest for it's players.
That's the key america is a law unto herself, thats why the likelihood of it happening is high!
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:22 AM   #51
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

Never gonna happen, there is some short of coperation between FIBA Europe and NBA
Quote:
17 October 2008

FIBA Europe President George Vassilakopoulos and Secretary General Nar Zanolin met with NBA Commissioner David Stern last Tuesday, 14th October in Berlin, Germany to discuss issues involving to the relationship between FIBA Europe and the NBA.
The meeting touched on topics ranging from the availability of European players playing in the NBA who wish to compete for their national teams, matters related to insurance for those players, agents and scouts and other general issues.
FIBA Secretary General Patrick Baumann and Secretary General Emeritus Borislav Stankovic were also present at the meeting.
"The meeting was very fruitful," commented FIBA Europe's President George Vassilakopoulos.
"It is our hope that it will lead to continued cooperation in the future."
"We talked about a lot of important issues and agreed to try to meet on a regular basis," added FIBA Europe Secretary General Nar Zanolin.
"With basketball being a world game it's important to keep the lines of communication open."

http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_HPRzHW...leMode_on.html
but an expansion involving top European teams will never happen. And not only that:

Quote:
Important Euroleague news: no more NBA Europe Live Tour

In a recent interview with the CSKA president about the Euroleague board meeting from last 15th January for the Russian website basketball.ru, a lot of very important decision have been taken and we will present those to you right here already before their official announcement by the Euroleague.

• The format of the Euroleague will probably be changed in order to have more quality games. This means that probably we will see a 4 groups of 6 teams schedule instead of the actual 3 groups of 8. This means that the first phase will have less games and the intense Top16 games will increase. On the other hand, this means also less games for the smaller teams.
  • It is very probable that one of the next Final Fours will be played in Berlin in the brand new O2 World.
  • For the 2008 Final Four in Madrid, 7000 tickets will be sold from which only 3000 will be available online. Good luck for anyone who wants to get one. Every qualified team will have the right for 1000 tickets. And because of higher VAT(16% vs. 7%) in Spain, the ticket prices will be (even) more expensive than for last year’s edition.
  • The board also decided that no Euroleague team will be allowed anymore to play preseason games against NBA teams. The exact reasons for this are not known but some guesses are the "independance" of the Euroleague from the NBA. On the other hand, there may also have been some pressure by the NBA that does not want to come to Europe to lose games.
  • Unfortunately, there has not been any decision on Server capacities of the Euroleague website. At least, the president of CSKA did not talk about it. However, the board was happy about the 260 million visitors of
http://www.ballineurope.com/european...omment-page-2/

www.euroleague.net.

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:26 AM   #52
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

Quote:
Western europe, massive population? I follow basketball for years and i can't name 1 English basketball team, first play basketball on high level and then talk about massive populations.

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:47 AM   #53
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

It's a pipe dream (I know)---but how about adding another division to both the Eastern and Western Conferences? The European division would join the Eastern Conference and a China/Asia division would join the Western conference? I realize that labeling China as anything "Western" sounds stupid, but it wouldn't be if we are going off of the dividing line of the NBA (Mississippi River).

Western Confernece

Asian Division
-Bejing
-Shanghai
-Tokyo
-Guangzhou
-Shenzhen (or Hong Kong)

Eastern Conference

European Division
-London
-Paris
-Milan
-Madrid or Barcelona
-Athens/Amsterdam/Frankfurt/etc.

Also, I am not sure if these European nations that have their own established leagues or teams would support the NBA.
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:26 AM   #54
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Phillip Banks View Post
It's a pipe dream (I know)---but how about adding another division to both the Eastern and Western Conferences? The European division would join the Eastern Conference and a China/Asia division would join the Western conference? I realize that labeling China as anything "Western" sounds stupid, but it wouldn't be if we are going off of the dividing line of the NBA (Mississippi River).

Western Confernece

Asian Division
-Bejing
-Shanghai
-Tokyo
-Guangzhou
-Shenzhen (or Hong Kong)

Eastern Conference

European Division
-London
-Paris
-Milan
-Madrid or Barcelona
-Athens/Amsterdam/Frankfurt/etc.

Also, I am not sure if these European nations that have their own established leagues or teams would support the NBA.

As we don't have a professional league and are actively courting things to fill our large arenas i'd think London would bite your hand off, although it woud be totally privately financed, our cities aren't held to ransom by our "sports organisations"!!

also

you'd add 10 teams to a 30 team league?

haven't the NFL stated that 32 is the perfect number, as you can have even divisions and schedules, and enough teams get to the playoffs to keep the season alive and on point. 40 teams with one trophy is excessive!

or are you proposing relocating 10 american franchises

All hypothetical of course...
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:35 AM   #55
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

Quote:
As we don't have a professional league and are actively courting things to fill our large arenas i'd think London would bite your hand off, although it woud be totally privately financed, our cities aren't held to ransom by our "sports organisations"!!

also

you'd add 10 teams to a 30 team league?

haven't the NFL stated that 32 is the perfect number, as you can have even divisions and schedules, and enough teams get to the playoffs to keep the season alive and on point. 40 teams with one trophy is excessive!

or are you proposing relocating 10 american franchises

All hypothetical of course...
Yeah, its excessive---but I think you need to add 5 teams to Europe give purpose to such extensive 'trips' across the Atlantic. I also think fans in China should we rewarded with teams.

None of this is ever going to happen of course.
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:45 AM   #56
bigbossman

i maintain 4 teams, 2 expansion, 2 relocated. Re align the divisions liek the NFL ie 8 divisions of 4!
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:46 AM   #57
Ballota