daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:10 PM   #81
SpicyMcHaggis
Registered User
 
SpicyMcHaggis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,953
Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post
Name me one city in Europe (expect cities like London who don't exist in the European basketball map) who would give millions of euros to create 1 franchise team to play in the NBA?
Ye.. i asked myself that as well... i don't see single city in which that would pass except for London... then again it would be easier for them to integrate just 1 team (London Whatevers ) into league than to create whole new division.
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:16 PM   #82
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον
 
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ελλάς
Posts: 4,655

also who would support this franchise team? Every city has his own historical teams.
__________________
ΡΕΘΥΜΝΟ - RETHYMNON

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"


† ΙΧΘΥΣ



KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:24 PM   #83
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post
Name me one city in Europe (expect cities like London who don't exist in the European basketball map) who would give millions of euros to create 1 franchise team to play in the NBA?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/dec/14/ussport

read this article there are a few
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:25 PM   #84
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post
also who would support this franchise team? Every city has his own historical teams.
London sells out the NBA and NFL whenever it comes over, thats why it keeps coming back, people want to see world class basketball...
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:28 PM   #85
SpicyMcHaggis
Registered User
 
SpicyMcHaggis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,953
Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/dec/14/ussport

read this article there are a few
Berlin.. there is Alba with massive fan base which wouldn't abandon their team, in Rome there is Lottomatica, in Madrid there is Real Madrid (i hope that i don't have to explain meaning of them). So again... there is only London left.
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:28 PM   #86
SpicyMcHaggis
Registered User
 
SpicyMcHaggis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,953
Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
London sells out the NBA and NFL whenever it comes over, thats why it keeps coming back, people want to see world class basketball...
Yes but would they sell it after the first hype would be gone? I seriously doubt it. One thing is exibition game and other thing is regular season.
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:36 PM   #87
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
Berlin.. there is Alba with massive fan base which wouldn't abandon their team, in Rome there is Lottomatica, in Madrid there is Real Madrid (i hope that i don't have to explain meaning of them). So again... there is only London left.
i've told you once that it is the FA premier league not the EPL, the sooner you get it through your head the sooner you can stop with the rubbish...

You heavily underestimate the pull of the NBA and you heavily overestimate the size of these clubs fanbases! and you also fail to see that these will be countrywide franchises more than just city franchises!
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:39 PM   #88
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον
 
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ελλάς
Posts: 4,655

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/dec/14/ussport

read this article there are a few
Your compatriot don't know what he is talking about.

About low per capita income. Hellas GDP is similar to the GDP of Spain and Italy. Second, Real Madrid or Roma will stop playing in their domestic leagues and the Euroleage just to be part of the NBA? Higly doubt.
Its like saying in footaball, Arsenal will stop playing in the Premier league and the Champions League and join the American MLS.

Maybe your beloved London will join the NBA some day in the distance future but the European advanced basketball cities never will, and not only that:


Quote:
Important Euroleague news: no more NBA Europe Live Tour

In a recent interview with the CSKA president about the Euroleague board meeting from last 15th January for the Russian website basketball.ru, a lot of very important decision have been taken and we will present those to you right here already before their official announcement by the Euroleague.


  • The format of the Euroleague will probably be changed in order to have more quality games. This means that probably we will see a 4 groups of 6 teams schedule instead of the actual 3 groups of 8. This means that the first phase will have less games and the intense Top16 games will increase. On the other hand, this means also less games for the smaller teams.
  • It is very probable that one of the next Final Fours will be played in Berlin in the brand new O2 World.
  • For the 2008 Final Four in Madrid, 7000 tickets will be sold from which only 3000 will be available online. Good luck for anyone who wants to get one. Every qualified team will have the right for 1000 tickets. And because of higher VAT(16% vs. 7%) in Spain, the ticket prices will be (even) more expensive than for last year’s edition.
  • The board also decided that no Euroleague team will be allowed anymore to play preseason games against NBA teams. The exact reasons for this are not known but some guesses are the "independance" of the Euroleague from the NBA. On the other hand, there may also have been some pressure by the NBA that does not want to come to Europe to lose games.
  • Unfortunately, there has not been any decision on Server capacities of the Euroleague website. At least, the president of CSKA did not talk about it. However, the board was happy about the 260 million visitors of

http://www.ballineurope.com/european...omment-page-2/

www.euroleague.net.
__________________
ΡΕΘΥΜΝΟ - RETHYMNON

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"


† ΙΧΘΥΣ



KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:41 PM   #89
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
Yes but would they sell it after the first hype would be gone? I seriously doubt it. One thing is exibition game and other thing is regular season.
You know nothing about London, the demand for these tickets was huuge, basketball is there but we like good stuff, so thats why our domestic league is awful and hardly watched

and a large % of NBA games don't sell out, it's about the TV audience more than anything, and that with marketing will be farely substantial with a losing team, with a winning team it would capture the imagination of the public...
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:42 PM   #90
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον
 
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ελλάς
Posts: 4,655

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
London sells out the NBA and NFL whenever it comes over, thats why it keeps coming back, people want to see world class basketball...
And where are all these people when the domestic English teams are playing in your league?
Most of them came to these matches just to watch the NBA stars. Isn't the NHL did the same thing in London?
__________________
ΡΕΘΥΜΝΟ - RETHYMNON

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"


† ΙΧΘΥΣ



KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:52 PM   #91
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post
Your compatriot don't know what he is talking about.

About low per capita income. Hellas GDP is similar to the GDP of Spain and Italy. Second, Real Madrid or Roma will stop playing in their domestic leagues and the Euroleage just to be part of the NBA? Higly doubt.
Its like saying in footaball, Arsenal will stop playing in the Premier league and the Champions League and join the American MLS.

Maybe your beloved London will join the NBA some day in the distance future but the European advanced basketball cities never will, and not only that:


it's a good article

Greece's GDP per capita is still lower than that of Italy and spain. Also these countries are held back by impoverished regions, if you took them out of the equation then the GDPs would be nowhere comparable.

The GDP of the madrid, lombardia or lazio regions is far larger than that of the Athens metro region


Your football example is AWFUL because the MLS is not the standard in football, whereas the NBA is the standard in basketball and is a cut above all world basketball leagues.

Real madrid wouldn't join the NBA, if they were involved they'd likely sponsor a franchise in the NBA baring the Real Madrid name...

I sense fear as you type this, you know it is a distinct possibility in the future, just admit it. London will be atop of the list... no doubt, but so will other European cities, and my point was merely that based on NBA criteria Athens doesn't stand a chance compared to western european cities.
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:56 PM   #92
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post
And where are all these people when the domestic English teams are playing in your league?
Most of them came to these matches just to watch the NBA stars. Isn't the NHL did the same thing in London?
and there is your answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
You know nothing about London, the demand for these tickets was huuge, basketball is popular but we like good stuff, so thats why our domestic league is awful and hardly watched
It's only the established sports in our country that we can put up with crap, hence why our lower leagues get better attendances than most european top leagues (as well as the germans of course). Thus to get us interested in Basketball we need to see it played at the highest level, the reason why the NBA would be more popular than our domestic league...
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:06 PM   #93
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK
 
www.sercan.de's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 27,950
Likes (Received): 2717

I am not sure, but as far as i remember there were news that Real madrid would be one of the 1st NBA Europe teams. But it was an old arcticle

So the clubs will stay at Euroleague and investoers create new franchises?

Efes Pilsen SK could be closed or turn into a franchise.
Efes Pilsen SK -> Istanbul Sultans

What about Paris?


As other suers already said it, no historical club would do that.
Only "sponsor / company" clubs like Efes Pislek SK etc.
__________________
International titles of Galatasaray SK
UEFA Europa League (1): 2000
UEFA Super Cup (1): 2000

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:27 PM   #94
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον
 
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ελλάς
Posts: 4,655

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
t's a good article

Greece's GDP per capita is still lower than that of Italy and spain. Also these countries are held back by impoverished regions, if you took them out of the equation then the GDPs would be nowhere comparable.The GDP of the madrid, lombardia or lazio regions is far larger than that of the Athens metro region
Read and learn:

2008 gdp (ppp)

Hellas: 30,745

Italy: 31,022

Spain: 30,764

-----------------------

2009 gdp (ppp)

Hellas: 32,273

Italy: 31,555

Spain: 31,373.688

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/...PPPSH&grp=0&a=
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman
Your football example is AWFUL because the MLS is not the standard in football, whereas the NBA is the standard in basketball and is a cut above all world basketball leagues.

Real madrid wouldn't join the NBA, if they were involved they'd likely sponsor a franchise in the NBA baring the Real Madrid name...
No your lack of knowledge on European basketball combined with an attitude of 'i know it all" is awful.
NBA is the American basketball league, what standart are you talking about? Don't you want your local English league to grow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman
Real madrid wouldn't join the NBA, if they were involved they'd likely sponsor a franchise in the NBA baring the Real Madrid name...
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman
I sense fear as you type this, you know it is a distinct possibility in the future, just admit it. London will be atop of the list... no doubt, but so will other European cities, and my point was merely that based on NBA criteria Athens doesn't stand a chance compared to western european cities.
First of all why you keeping saying this western european thing? Are you nationalist or something who things that you are some kind superior than the others?
As for the fear, fear what, you? The English basketball league? NBA? In case you didn't understand it yet those who make the decisions in the European basketball is a Hellenas (FIBA Europe) and a Spanish (Euroleague).
Even If London make a team for NBA if any of the above say NO you will stay where you are.
__________________
ΡΕΘΥΜΝΟ - RETHYMNON

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"


† ΙΧΘΥΣ



KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:42 PM   #95
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post
Read and learn:

2008 gdp (ppp)

Hellas: 30,745

Italy: 31,022

Spain: 30,764
i quite clearly said, the GDP per capita of Spain and italy is higher, which based on those stats it quite clearly is. Granted i didn't look at 2009s figures, seen as 2009 is 2 days old.

AS i mentioned Spain and Italy are larger more diverse countries. They have dirt poor regions, and extremely rich regions. The extremely rich regions are richer than the richest greek region. That was my point, you took your own agenda nice one



Quote:
No your lack of knowledge on European basketball combined with an attitude of 'i know it all" is awful.
NBA is the American basketball league, what standart are you talking about? Don't you want your local English league to grow?
The standard of quality. the best players in the world gravitate to the NBA.

With regards to basketball in the UK, an NBA franchise would be far better for the british game, than our domestic league can ever aspire to be. The main reason is EXPOSURE.

I never said i knew copious amounts about European Basketball, i said you analogy of the NBA being akin to MLS is absurd as the NBA is the top and MLS is somewhere in the middle


Quote:
Huh?
LMAO, quite self explanatory. Even sercan just explained it. Real MAdrid would keep their current team, but would pay for a franchise slot in the NBA. and would call it Real Madird

Quote:
First of all why you keeping saying this western european thing? Are you nationalist or something who things that you are some kind superior than the others?
As for the fear, fear what, you? The English basketball league? NBA? In case you didn't understand yet those make the decisions in the European basketball is a Hellenas (FIBA Europe) and a Spanish (Euroleague).
Even If London make a team for NBA if any of the above say NO you will stay where you are.
On western Europe, not nationalist at all. It is just a reference point as the places i am talking about happen to be in western Europe

Not true at all, the NBA owes nothing to FIBA or Euroleague, it is richer and more powerful. If it says jump the rest of the basketball world says... how high. If the NBA wanted to introduce a team in europe theres nothing FIBA can really do, as mentioned by someone else previously, it works in football because FIFA and UEFA run all the competitions, but in Basketball the NBA aren't governed by FIBA infact they have different rules!

Last edited by bigbossman; January 2nd, 2009 at 07:55 PM.
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:44 PM   #96
SpicyMcHaggis
Registered User
 
SpicyMcHaggis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,953
Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
You know nothing about London,
And you don't know much (actually you don't know nothing as it seems) about basketball in Europe but yet you like to argue...
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:52 PM   #97
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
And you don't know much (actually you don't know nothing as it seems) about basketball in Europe but yet you like to argue...
Look the point here is not whether basketball in europe is more popualr in greece than in England. Thats a no brainer, it's more popular in Greece. The point is where would the totally business minded NBA put a franchise. So my knowledge of the inner workings of European basketball is irrelevant. What is relevant, is media markets, future potential growth, regional wealth etc etc
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:58 PM   #98
SpicyMcHaggis
Registered User
 
SpicyMcHaggis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,953
Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Look the point here is not whether basketball in europe is more popualr in greece than in England. Thats a no brainer, it's more popular in Greece. The point is where would the totally business minded NBA put a franchise. So my knowledge of the inner workings of European basketball is irrelevant. What is relevant, is media markets, future potential growth, regional wealth etc etc
Media? Olympiacos and PAO would get far bigger ratings than London NBA team would ever get. Potential growth? Let's be real... basketball will never be big in UK. Its simply not part of your culture like it is in continental Europe. And if we talk about "wealth"... Olympiacos and PAO owners are Abramovich like guys who don't ask about price.. so don't worry about that. And i don't see many British millionairs investing into sports this days. You gotta wake up from this dreamworld in which you live...
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:04 PM   #99
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
Media? Olympiacos and PAO would get far bigger ratings than London NBA team would ever get. Potential growth? Let's be real... basketball will never be big in UK. Its simply not part of your culture like it is in continental Europe. And if we talk about "wealth"... Olympiacos and PAO owners are Abramovich like guys who don't ask about price.. so don't worry about that. And i don't see many British millionairs investing into sports this days.
You don't get it... the NBA if it went to greece would be competing with these teams which are immensely popular. Thus diminishing profit potential and growth etc. If it went to London there is an empty vessel, i agree Basketball will never be big in the UK in relative terms, but an NBA franchise would create a substantial following amongst a 60 million population. The NBA is screen live on terrestrial telly over here every week, it has some popularity. With British tabloids covering it, it will create curiosity which will lead to the growth i am talking about.

nowadays britain doesn't seem to have many sugar daddys willing to invest in sport. O2 arena is owned by AEG an american company, and it would be heavily likely a London franchise would be owned by them or other outside investors.

if olympiacos and panathinaikos are owned by people akin as the 17th richest (probably a lot lower now) man in the world, how come they don't shell out on there football team...
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:08 PM   #100
SpicyMcHaggis
Registered User
 
SpicyMcHaggis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,953
Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
if olympiacos are owned by people as rich as the 17th richest (probably a lot lower now) man in the world, how come they don't shell out on there football team...
Because basketball and football clubs don't have the same owners?
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu