daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:42 AM   #121
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer
 
weava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Missouri/Ozarks/KC
Posts: 1,753
Likes (Received): 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
This may sound outlandish to an American, but if Buffalo can lose the Bills to Toronto, Boston can lose it's team to Shanghai.
And let me guess, the Chicago cubs are moving to Mexico City

And most people don't care about the NBA in america anymore so you can have the teams, college basketball is more popular and those teams aren't going anywhere.
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:53 AM   #122
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,623
Likes (Received): 10784

No, Chicago is big enough that they will probably never face those pressures. Chicago has a metropolitan population pushing 10 million people. If you want an example of a US city that may lose their team to Mexico City 20 years down the road, I'd be more concerned with places like Milwaukee, Kansas City, Cincinnati, etc.

Like I said, most people in the US will think this is beyond the realm of possibility, but the economics of professional sports dictates that teams and players go where the biggest financial payoff exists. If the Kansas City Royals can generate twice as much revenue playing out of Mexico City, how many owners are going to want to stay in Kansas City?

The only thing stopping relocation would be the move being blocked by the league. Even that isn't a given. The league like the owners are interested in furthering the value of the league and their franchises.

College basketball is huge in the US, I completely agree with you there. There are a lot of people in the US who care about the NBA though. I doubt teams in the US will face little opposition in your country if they decide to vacate your country.

Your 'laugh' emoticon doesn't leave one with much confidence. People who mock others for pointing out valid concerns are fools.
__________________
World's 1st Baseball Game: June 4th, 1838, Beachville, Ontario, Canada
North America's Oldest Pro Football Teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) and Hamilton Tiger Cats (1869)

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:25 AM   #123
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer
 
weava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Missouri/Ozarks/KC
Posts: 1,753
Likes (Received): 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
No, Chicago is big enough that they will probably never face those pressures. Chicago has a metropolitan population pushing 10 million people. If you want an example of a US city that may lose their team to Mexico City 20 years down the road, I'd be more concerned with places like Milwaukee, Kansas City, Cincinnati, etc.

Like I said, most people in the US will think this is beyond the realm of possibility, but the economics of professional sports dictates that teams and players go where the biggest financial payoff exists. If the Kansas City Royals can generate twice as much revenue playing out of Mexico City, how many owners are going to want to stay in Kansas City?
You can't go from talking about a team like Boston to make a point and then rebutel with the Royals, the Royals are a joke and would have already have moved if the taxpayers weren't paying for their stadium improvements.
And actually Chicago has faced those pressures before, the White sox threatened to move to Florida before they got their new stadium. As long as the taxpayers pay for the new stadiums teams will be less likely to move. Maby in the future the cities will even start buying the teams to protect the tax money they generate since that is the biggest factor in where teams play today.
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:23 AM   #124
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan
 
xzmattzx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Posts: 15,587
Likes (Received): 4192

Going back to arena discussions from the first page, I thought that I would point out that only 2 arenas have a seating capacity of under 18,000. There are several with seating capacities of over 20,000. An arena with a capacity of 13,000 or 15,000 is not going to be suitable enough at all. There might be a mandated minimum capacity, like there is in the NHL, but I don't know about this.

The main thing needed in arenas is a large amount of luxury boxes. These bring in a lot of revenue. An arena that can hold 20,000 still isn't going to be good enough for the NBA if there are few luxury boxes.

Since luxury boxes are the big moneymakers, corporations are necessary in the modern game to be a major sponsor (naming rights for the arena, arena advertisements, etc) or to purchase the luxury boxes. So, if any teams are put in Europe, they are going to go where there is a large corporate presence.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 03:51 PM   #125
berkshire royal
Registered User
 
berkshire royal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Posts: 557
Likes (Received): 1

There has been discussion as to whether this would be accepted in Europe, but no one has asked would it be in America?

Surely people wouldn't be happy if 4/5 teams relocated. Cities like Memphis, Portland, Charlotte etc. what are you going to tell them and their fans? And could having teams all around the world really work when you play 70+ games in the regular season? I dont think it can to be honest.
berkshire royal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:27 PM   #126
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK
 
www.sercan.de's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 27,950
Likes (Received): 2717

Old Article
(Real Madrid etc)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2614550

So its not clear if the clubs will move or if new franchises will be established
__________________
International titles of Galatasaray SK
UEFA Europa League (1): 2000
UEFA Super Cup (1): 2000

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 06:14 PM   #127
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,623
Likes (Received): 10784

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
You can't go from talking about a team like Boston to make a point and then rebutel with the Royals, the Royals are a joke and would have already have moved if the taxpayers weren't paying for their stadium improvements.
And actually Chicago has faced those pressures before, the White sox threatened to move to Florida before they got their new stadium. As long as the taxpayers pay for the new stadiums teams will be less likely to move. Maby in the future the cities will even start buying the teams to protect the tax money they generate since that is the biggest factor in where teams play today.
Of course I can discuss Boston and Kansas City because this has zero to do with whether a team is a joke or not, and everything to do with the size and wealth of the market in which these teams operate in. If you were an owner and you could generate twice as much money in another city, what would you do? I don't know about you, but business men aren't going to pass up 2 times as much money for a new stadium that some small city dangles in front of them to make them stay.

Chicago is one of the biggest richest markets on the planet. Only a moron would leave Chicago for Florida. I've already stated that Chicago is rock solid. It's the small markets that will find it increasingly difficult to keep their teams. It's not other US cities that will end up poaching these teams, but foreign cities. This won't happen now, and it won't happen in 10 years. In 20 years, cities from Asia, Europe, and south America will be big and rich enough to snatch these teams away. No new stadium is going to be enough to make them stay.

You're right that having the city buy these teams is their best option, but failing that, there are a great number of cities in the US which will face relocation pressures. I thought you didn't care about the NBA though? Why engage in this conversation and thread if you only care about college basketball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
So, if any teams are put in Europe, they are going to go where there is a large corporate presence.
Bingo! I'd add that you'd need a lot of television viewers, and 18,000+/game. Pro sports get most of their money from corporations. If a lot of people watch on tv, a lot of corporations will spend a lot of money to advertise. They'll also shell out a lot of money at the arena. Attendance is probably the least lucrative area, but still important because it provides the atmosphere that fuels everything else.

I wouldn't be surprised to see teams in Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Athens, Paris, Berlin, Istanbul, Moscow, Mexico City, Sao Paolo, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong, Chongqing, Guangzhou, Tianjin, Shenzhen, Tokyo, Osaka, Manila, Bangkok, and Seoul within 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshire royal View Post
There has been discussion as to whether this would be accepted in Europe, but no one has asked would it be in America?

Surely people wouldn't be happy if 4/5 teams relocated. Cities like Memphis, Portland, Charlotte etc. what are you going to tell them and their fans? And could having teams all around the world really work when you play 70+ games in the regular season? I dont think it can to be honest.
No one who likes pro basketball is going to like being denied a team. Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, St. Louis, etc. don't have teams because there are larger cities out there that make more financial sense to owners and the league. In the end, it doesn't matter what people in America want, it only matters what the league and the business interests want. People in cities throughout this continent face that stark reality every day.

The biggest hurdle is logistics. Teams would have to do far more traveling than they do now. If you're paying these guys millions of dollars to play basketball, they will play where they are told to play.
__________________
World's 1st Baseball Game: June 4th, 1838, Beachville, Ontario, Canada
North America's Oldest Pro Football Teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) and Hamilton Tiger Cats (1869)

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; January 3rd, 2009 at 06:41 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:51 PM   #128
krudmonk
sucks
 
krudmonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sannozay
Posts: 2,265
Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Looking 20 to 30 years out, any city under 6 million might find themselves in a precarious situation as team owners look to move to bigger, richer cities beyond north America. Cleveland, Detroit, Indianapolis (Indiana), Milwaukee, Charlotte, Orlando, Denver, Minneapolis (Minnesota), Oklahoma City, Portland, Salt Lake City (Utah), Oakland (Golden State), Phoenix, Sacramento, Memphis, New Orleans, and San Antonio will all be in big trouble. Boston, Atlanta, Miami, Washington, Dallas, and Houston may be safe, but even they will face increasingly intense competition from larger foreign markets.
Did you even put any thought into this? Oakland is in a market of 7.3 million.

Furthermore, there will be no world league as long as there are 82 games on the schedule. The travel is not feasible.
krudmonk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:09 PM   #129
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον
 
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ελλάς
Posts: 4,655

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
what has that got to with servants. That statement illustrates where the power is in the game of basketball. You read your own agenda into it. The NBA can do as she pleases as she has no one in basketball to hold her accountable... the NBA doesn't however rock the boat, but there is no reason why if she did she would lose out...
Oh give me a break, you have no idea about European basketball yet you acting like an expert.

NBA can't do nothing if the top European organizations don't agree. You are trying to portrait the European basketball like is some kind of 3rd world league and the almighty NBA will crush it if he wanted it to.

"If it says jump the rest of the basketball world says... how high. If the NBA wanted to introduce a team in europe theres nothing FIBA can really do"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman
If you didn't say otherwise why are you complaining about statements which affirm it then...
I disagree with your depreciatory statements about the european basketball cities like Athens and the European basketball as a whole. I didn't said that NBA isn't the best league in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman
When did i ever say London was great, i never once bigged up London
Yes you did from your very first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman
i merely repeated the point that London a growing basketball market has great potential, which any economist would tell you, it does.
And at the same time you were trying to degrade the regions who actually play basketball like the Balkans, Baltics, Southern Europe in a way to show how great for NBA basketball London is.
This is called disrespect in case you haven't figure it out yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman
Howevere, you were the one trying to affirm the point at every opportunity, that London basketball is crap (which i agreed with), and greek basketball is better (which i also agreed with). But unfortunately that was never the issue in this debate
Don't make me to start posting your quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman
as unreadable as that is...

In Britain Basketball is seen largely as the NBA full stop. Thats why the only way basketball would gain a foothold in Britain is if loads of good players came over to play and represent us!

The main reason the BBL will never succeed is that it isn't a quality product! As i mentioned previously only established sports in Britain have fans with a high tolerance to quality. whether Euroleague is high quality or not, the name means nothing to the majority of sports fans over here, but everyone has heard of the NBA.

therefore

if a sport is to grow in a nation where it has a small foothold (like it does in Britain, despite a substantial following), it can do so in many ways, here are two...

A. grow the game from grass routes level and let it build in popularity over the years (this is along process),

or

B. you can expose the population to high quality sport and hope to capture their imagination (short process).

Option A is what has been persued in the past, option B is what would happen if the NBA expanded into London and as the exhibition games have proven this option does tons more to stimulate the populace of Britain towards basketball than the BBL ever did or ever will do.

This is a British argument for the NBA expanding, i dare say in other countries there would be different reasoning, but as i have repeatedly said i see no reason why it can't be a success over here...
If i understood well you are saying that only NBA is recognizable in England right? This is what i would i call culture gap between Europe and England.

So what you are planning to do from now on, wait when and if NBA come to London and create a team?
__________________
ΡΕΘΥΜΝΟ - RETHYMNON

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"


† ΙΧΘΥΣ



KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:01 PM   #130
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

Stop it, this is turning into the special olympics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post
Oh give me a break, you have no idea about European basketball yet you acting like an expert.?
Never said i did know more than a working amount about European basketball (how many times do you want me to say that?), this was never about European Baketball per se, it was about the NBA expanding into Europe and where would be best to expand to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post
NBA can't do nothing if the top European organizations don't agree. You are trying to portrait the European basketball like is some kind of 3rd world league and the almighty NBA will crush it if he wanted it to.

"If it says jump the rest of the basketball world says... how high. If the NBA wanted to introduce a team in europe theres nothing FIBA can really do"?
As far as I know there are no legal restrictions stopping the NBA placing teams wherever the hell it wants, other than a country not wanting them. If there are then i stand corrected.

Basically the point is FIBA has no sanctions that can really hurt the NBA, the main one i think of is banning NBA players from international basketball and personally i can't see that effecting the NBA at all...

and the quoted statement has an element of truth, yes it may sound slightly derogatory from your stand point, but the NBA is where the basketball power is at, deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post
I disagree with your depreciatory statements about the european basketball cities like Athens and the European basketball as a whole. I didn't said that NBA isn't the best league in the world.?
i never said Athens wasn't a premier basketball city, i said why i think the NBA might choose London over Athens, if you feel that me giving my views on why London (or Paris) might be a better choice is (and i quote) "depreciatory" then thats your perrogative and Gawd help us all...

take a chill pill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post
Yes you did from your very first post.?
All my posts about London have been outlining why London would be a good choice for an NBA expansion team, most of what i have said has literally nothing to do with the city, jeez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post
And at the same time you were trying to degrade the regions who actually play basketball like the Balkans, Baltics, Southern Europe in a way to show how great for NBA basketball London is.
This is called disrespect in case you haven't figure it out yet.

Don't make me to start posting your quotes.?

Originally Posted by bigbossman
as unreadable as that is...

In Britain Basketball is seen largely as the NBA full stop. Thats why the only way basketball would gain a foothold in Britain is if loads of good players came over to play and represent us!

The main reason the BBL will never succeed is that it isn't a quality product! As i mentioned previously only established sports in Britain have fans with a high tolerance to quality. whether Euroleague is high quality or not, the name means nothing to the majority of sports fans over here, but everyone has heard of the NBA.

therefore

if a sport is to grow in a nation where it has a small foothold (like it does in Britain, despite a substantial following), it can do so in many ways, here are two...

A. grow the game from grass routes level and let it build in popularity over the years (this is along process),

or

B. you can expose the population to high quality sport and hope to capture their imagination (short process).

Option A is what has been persued in the past, option B is what would happen if the NBA expanded into London and as the exhibition games have proven this option does tons more to stimulate the populace of Britain towards basketball than the BBL ever did or ever will do.

This is a British argument for the NBA expanding, i dare say in other countries there would be different reasoning, but as i have repeatedly said i see no reason why it can't be a success over here...
NO they quote clearly shows the reasoning as to why the NBA would be good for London and British basketball over the Euroleague, it doesn't at all degrade the regions where basketball is most popular nor have i in previous posts. I have said basketball is more popular there and i have given reasons why the NBA probably would choose a western european city where it is less popular than one of the aforementioned places.

The problem seems to be you have a defensive attitude and an inferiority complex and whenever someone brings up your region and doesn't make a positive post you feel they are dissing your region when they quite clearly aren't!

Quote:
If i understood well you are saying that only NBA is recognizable in England right? This is what i would i call culture gap between Europe and England.?
There is a culture gap in Baketball terms, it never grew over here like it did on the mainland, we in many ways are similar to the americans we invented our own sports and thats all we really play (Football, Rugby, Tennis (kinda), Golf etc) and it just so happens the sports we play are amongst the most played sports in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post
So what you are planning to do from now on, wait when and if NBA come to London and create a team?
Tbf i could care less if the NBA comes to London, would be great and a massive boon for the city and the sport within our country, but i personally would prefer an NFL team...
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #131
Puertalian
Nerd Fest '08
 
Puertalian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tacoma/Pullman
Posts: 277
Likes (Received): 1

I like this idea, as long as all teams draft from the same pool, so that it doesn't turn into a Europeans vs. Americans contest. save that for the Olympics. there's a reason it only happens once every 4 years.

Oh and the name would have to be changed to IBA.
__________________
GO COUGS!

AAANL- American Architectural All Nighters League
Puertalian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #132
penzias
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post
And at the same time you were trying to degrade the regions who actually play basketball like the Balkans, Baltics, Southern Europe in a way to show how great for NBA basketball London is.
This is called disrespect in case you haven't figure it out yet.
I agree that bigbossman might be a litle bit rude but in my opinion his points are fairly accurate.
In case that the NBA is willing to creatwe european franchises the tradition of basketball is the last thing to consider about where to locate one. It would be no more that 4 or 5 in the biggest and wealthiest cities, and of course one of them would be in London.

"We will either find the fans, or make them." Hannibal Stern
penzias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #133
El Mariachi
Registered User
 
El Mariachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,156
Likes (Received): 5995

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso
The league may be based in the USA, but basketball is not US culture. Basketball is Canadian and US culture. The sport's roots are strongly rooted in both countries. Even the NBA can trace its roots to Canada. The first NBA game ever was played in Canada, not the USA.
Well, techincally you are right---but lets be honest here. How many people, Canadians included, would consider basketball to be apart of Canada's culture? I think the game is more commonly associated with urban America worldwide.


Quote:
Not only will Memphis, Milwaukee, Salt Lake City, Sacramento, Portland, Oklahoma City, and New Orleans get permanently shut out, but it also explains why practically all of Canada goes without NBA teams as well. Beyond Toronto, there simply aren't cities big enough in Canada to compete with cities as populated as Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, etc.

If the NBA wants to remain the premier basketball league in the world without diluting the talent base, the likely outcome is that half the NBA franchises in the US will lose their teams to cities like Beijing, Istanbul, and Sao Paolo, etc.

Looking 20 to 30 years out, any city under 6 million might find themselves in a precarious situation as team owners look to move to bigger, richer cities beyond north America. Cleveland, Detroit, Indianapolis (Indiana), Milwaukee, Charlotte, Orlando, Denver, Minneapolis (Minnesota), Oklahoma City, Portland, Salt Lake City (Utah), Oakland (Golden State), Phoenix, Sacramento, Memphis, New Orleans, and San Antonio will all be in big trouble. Boston, Atlanta, Miami, Washington, Dallas, and Houston may be safe, but even they will face increasingly intense competition from larger foreign markets.

This may sound outlandish to an American, but if Buffalo can lose the Bills to Toronto, Boston can lose the Celtics to Shanghai. A city with a market of 6 million people competing with a city with a market of 20 million? The US and Canada are rich, but the rest of the world is rapidly catching up. NBA fans in the US should be more concerned with keeping the teams they have than seeking further expansion of the NBA in their country.
I don't know if the league can ever get big enough where cities like Sao Paulo or Istanbul are included. This "worldwide league" stuff seems to be a bit farfetched anyway. The logistics, scope, and cost of so much travel are too overwhelming. If it hasn't been done in soccer, then I don't know why we can expect it to happen with basketball.

In regards to the Buffalo Bills situation---I don't think it really equates to a Boston to Shanghai move. Much of Buffalo's fanbase already is Canadian, living in the nearby Toronto area anyway. Moving a team like Boston (which might have a market of 10-13 million people) would be more noteworthy then moving a team from Buffalo---which I hate to say is a dying city.
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #134
El Mariachi
Registered User
 
El Mariachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,156
Likes (Received): 5995

it was touched on, but NBA teams will go to cities that will build them arenas. Just look at the situation with Seattle this last year. They are moving from one of the biggest, wealthiest markets in the country to Oklahoma City of all places.

If anything, NBA francishes have come to smaller cities as of late. Oklahoma City, New Orleans, Charlotte, and Memphis----bypassing larger markets such as St. Louis, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Baltimore or Las Vegas.
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #135
Aurelio
Registered User
 
Aurelio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Noreste peninsular
Posts: 3,656
Likes (Received): 481

Palau Sant Jordi is "Barcelona Arena", and as far as I know, the largest in Spain at the moment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palau_Sant_Jordi

It was the basketball site of F.C. Barcelona basketball team after the Olympics, but they returned to the old "arena", as Palau Sant Jordi was never full of supporters and the old one was smaller...

Aurelio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #136
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK
 
www.sercan.de's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 27,950
Likes (Received): 2717

Palau Sant Jordi is not a "Arena". Is just a Sports hall.
No suites.
No club level. No restaurants.
__________________
International titles of Galatasaray SK
UEFA Europa League (1): 2000
UEFA Super Cup (1): 2000

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #137
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον
 
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ελλάς
Posts: 4,655

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post

Stop it, this is turning into the special olympics!


Never said i did know more than a working amount about European basketball (how many times do you want me to say that?), this was never about European Baketball per se, it was about the NBA expanding into Europe and where would be best to expand to.

As far as I know there are no legal restrictions stopping the NBA placing teams wherever the hell it wants, other than a country not wanting them. If there are then i stand corrected.

Basically the point is FIBA has no sanctions that can really hurt the NBA, the main one i think of is banning NBA players from international basketball and personally i can't see that effecting the NBA at all...

and the quoted statement has an element of truth, yes it may sound slightly derogatory from your stand point, but the NBA is where the basketball power is at, deal with it

i never said Athens wasn't a premier basketball city, i said why i think the NBA might choose London over Athens, if you feel that me giving my views on why London (or Paris) might be a better choice is (and i quote) "depreciatory" then thats your perrogative and Gawd help us all...

take a chill pill!

All my posts about London have been outlining why London would be a good choice for an NBA expansion team, most of what i have said has literally nothing to do with the city, jeez!

NO they quote clearly shows the reasoning as to why the NBA would be good for London and British basketball over the Euroleague, it doesn't at all degrade the regions where basketball is most popular nor have i in previous posts. I have said basketball is more popular there and i have given reasons why the NBA probably would choose a western european city where it is less popular than one of the aforementioned places.

The problem seems to be you have a defensive attitude and an inferiority complex and whenever someone brings up your region and doesn't make a positive post you feel they are dissing your region when they quite clearly aren't!

There is a culture gap in Baketball terms, it never grew over here like it did on the mainland, we in many ways are similar to the americans we invented our own sports and thats all we really play (Football, Rugby, Tennis (kinda), Golf etc) and it just so happens the sports we play are amongst the most played sports in the world.

Tbf i could care less if the NBA comes to London, would be great and a massive boon for the city and the sport within our country, but i personally would prefer an NFL team...
You continue to have this aggressive and rude attitude. I don't have the mood to tolerate behaviours like yours. I will discuss with people like penzias who seems to be polite and know about European basketball since this thread is about European basketball. Enough is enough.
__________________
ΡΕΘΥΜΝΟ - RETHYMNON

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"


† ΙΧΘΥΣ



KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #138
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον
 
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ελλάς
Posts: 4,655

Quote:
Originally Posted by penzias View Post
I agree that bigbossman might be a litle bit rude but in my opinion his points are fairly accurate.
In case that the NBA is willing to creatwe european franchises the tradition of basketball is the last thing to consider about where to locate one. It would be no more that 4 or 5 in the biggest and wealthiest cities, and of course one of them would be in London.

"We will either find the fans, or make them." Hannibal Stern
But i didn't disagreed that for example NBA is the best league in the world or that London is a good candidate for NBA Europe.

I disagreed with the way his expressing his views towards Athens and European basketball. IMO i believe he doesn't care neither know about European basketball and his main aim is to promote London. Even in his latest post you can see that.

"Tbf i could care less if the NBA comes to London, would be great and a massive boon for the city and the sport within our country, but i personally would prefer an NFL team..."

I suppose you are from Spain since i have seen this nick in a basket forum before. Can you please tell me why for example Madrid/Rome are strong candidates for NBA Europe and Athens/Moscow doesn't stand a chance?

As for the fans i dissagree but we will discuss it later.
__________________
ΡΕΘΥΜΝΟ - RETHYMNON

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"


† ΙΧΘΥΣ



KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #139
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post
You continue to have this aggressive and rude attitude. I don't have the mood to tolerate behaviours like yours. I will discuss with people like penzias who seems to be polite and know about European basketball since this thread is about European basketball. Enough is enough.
I find it oustanding that you higlighted these lines, i take it that you don't understand there meaning and you want me to explain, so here goes...

"Stop it, this is turning into the special olympics!"

If you don't understand the meaning of this comment then it totally vindicates it

"deal with it"

Thats what you need to do, your the one who seems angry that the NBA would shun the basketball mecca that is greece, if they do you need to deal with it, it's just business that's all

"take a chill pill!"

You need to calm down

"defensive attitude and an inferiority complex "

Is exactly what you have, because nobody is disrespecting Athens, exactly why you need to step back, assess the situation and come back with reasoned points. Athens is a great city, but it might not be right for the NBA compared to others at this moment in time, simple as!
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #140
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post
But i didn't disagreed that for example NBA is the best league in the world or that London is a good candidate for NBA Europe.
Maybe not to the former, but you definately didn't start off with that opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post
I disagreed with the way his expressing his views towards Athens and European basketball..
You still fail to quote me occassions when i have disrespected Athens or European basketball, comments regarding the NBAs relationship with FIBA etc are based on fact and if you take offence to them, then that is your perrogative. We are not in the world to make every deluded person happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post
IMO i believe he doesn't care neither know about European basketball and his main aim is to promote London. Even in his latest post you can see that..
Of course i don't care about European basketball per se, give me one good reason why i should?

Ok my main aim is to promote London, you got me, i work for the tourist board, everyone come to London it is great!!! LMAO,

In all seriousness, you're the one who kept asking why London would/should get the nod over Athens, so i explained (so many contradictions from one guy, sheesh)


Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post
"Tbf i could care less if the NBA comes to London, would be great and a massive boon for the city and the sport within our country, but i personally would prefer an NFL team...".
You take from this i dislike Basketball and don't watch it, you asked a question about how the NBA not coming to London would affect me and i said i could care less, because if it doesn't come it makes no difference to my life or my enjoyment of the sport, doesn't mean i wouldn't love it to happen.

The problem is you interpret what i say, the way you want to, 2+2= 5 in your world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post
I suppose you are from Spain since i have seen this nick in a basket forum before. Can you please tell me why for example Madrid/Rome are strong candidates for NBA Europe and Athens/Moscow doesn't stand a chance?

As for the fans i dissagree but we will discuss it later.
Konstantz (i can call you Konstanz can't i?),

if you take from the point when we first engaged in discussion, it is clear that my stance has remained steadfastly the same, where as yours when different points have been disproved has leaped from saying:

-London is rubbish and shouldn't get basketball,

to

-London would be the only city that would want the NBA,

to

-Athens is better than London,

to

-FIBA wouldn't allow the NBA to move

and it goes on and on, as i have said previously

STOP

That will be all!
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu