daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #141
Aurelio

Likes (Received): 481

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
Palau Sant Jordi is not a "Arena". Is just a Sports hall.
No suites.
No club level. No restaurants.
That's why I wrote "Barcelona Arena"...

Aurelio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #142
masterpaul
(Nilaul)

Likes (Received): 215

So why doesnt nobody in England recognizes the European Cups like champions league?

Reason is Simple:

England just doesnt do at all well in these cups. So people started not given a dam about it.
Old January 4th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #143
berkshire royal

Likes (Received): 1

To be honest I dont think we ever did, but that is changing over time. Bball only got popular in Greece after you won and hosted the Euro's in 1987.

I have to say it is clear what Bossman is saying is pretty clear, London is a clear candidate for an NBA team and it is true. London is the most racially and culturally diverse city in the world, the city is extremely wealthy with one of the most modern arenas in Europe as well as not having a strong league or strong team and the NBA is popular here, everything they would be looking for.
In Athens you have a tradition of competing in Euroleague and that would make it a hell of a lot harder for the NBA to get positive feedback about putting a team in Athens.
berkshire royal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #144
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshire royal View Post
Bball only got popular in Greece after you won and hosted the Euro's in 1987.
Nope. Basketball is popular here since very long time, decades back.

Example:

"Panathenaic Stadium

Did you also know that the stadium holds a unique world record? On April 4th, 1968, AEK Athens won the European Basketball Cup (beating Slavia Prague) in front of 60.000 spectators, the largest crowd ever to attend a basketball match."

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium...athenaic.shtml

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #145
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelio View Post
That's why I wrote "Barcelona Arena"...

:d
Any plans for a real new Arena?

Greek Basketball league was established 1928!!!!
Maybe it the oldest Basketball League in Europe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A1_Ethniki

Greek League is the one of the best (TOP 3) in Europe.
I think currently Spain is No 1, but some years ago Greece was by far the best league.

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:07 AM   #146
DidacXavier
Caçant gamusinos

Likes (Received): 2215

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterpaul View Post
greece can even have 5 teams in NBA europe
What? Impossible. I think only Panathinaikos. Greece 5 teams in NBA Europe? Then, Spain 10 teams... In Greece there are 2 or 3 big teams, but the rest...
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:15 AM   #147
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

If I was David Stern (and who says Im not?)
I would make a 6 team Euro division.
these teams, hopefully, will have the same talent available to them as the other 30 NBA franchises, although the league-wide talent would decrease slightly.
So, these teams would play eachother 14 times each = 1 team would play 70 games against the other 5 Euro teams in the division.
that leaves 12 more games to play, so each Euro team would play 2 randomly selected teams from each of the 6 American NBA divisions
Rizzato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:36 AM   #148
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

That would be a disaster. Any new division would have to adhere to similar scheduling procedures as the other divisions or else it would throw the competitive advantage out of whack. If lets say the Madrid team were really awesome but the rest of the division sucked they could pad the states and lose only four games per year.

Plus, not integrating the European and American sides partially defeats the purpose of the whole scenario in the first place which to drive up the drama and exposure of the WHOLE league on both sides of the Atlantic.

Perhaps with the extra teams they will have to go with some unbalanced schedule like the NFL. Have the new divisional teams play each other four times per year, each conference team twice, and its non-conference games perhaps once or perhaps some non-conference teams twice on a rotating basis?
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:51 AM   #149
kolovoda

Likes (Received): 13

Can i just ask the question why would anyone in europe want the NBA. In my opinion the euroleague rocks and has the stick over the NBA. As a teen i started playing ball becasue fo the NBA but once i started watching the european competition realised what a great basetball competition it is.
Like someone else posted No point ruining 2 good leagues for a half baked idea.
kolovoda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #150
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post
Nope. Basketball is popular here since very long time, decades back.

Example:

"Panathenaic Stadium

Did you also know that the stadium holds a unique world record? On April 4th, 1968, AEK Athens won the European Basketball Cup (beating Slavia Prague) in front of 60.000 spectators, the largest crowd ever to attend a basketball match."

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium...athenaic.shtml
however, that record has long since been broken
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #151
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolovoda View Post
Can i just ask the question why would anyone in europe want the NBA.
For the same reason we drink Coke. The product is artificial, unhealthy and the last things we need. But brain-washing advertisings will turn us around.
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #152
perica

Likes (Received): 0

What does NBA mean? Exactly, and thats what it will stay. If they want NBA teams in europe they can orginize some sort of World Series, 5 game tie, winner of NBA plays against winner of Euroleague, yes winner is predictable but who cares. Thats for those who want to see euro teams go against NBA teams in real competative game.
As for those who want NBA team in europe, IMO anyone from NBA who thinks like that probably thinks only about London team, language and money potentials are therem, put it in Eastern Conference and flight distance isnt too far. Rest of Europe, not bloody likley.
perica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #153
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by perica View Post
What does NBA mean? Exactly, and thats what it will stay. If they want NBA teams in europe they can orginize some sort of World Series, 5 game tie, winner of NBA plays against winner of Euroleague, yes winner is predictable but who cares. Thats for those who want to see euro teams go against NBA teams in real competative game.
As for those who want NBA team in europe, IMO anyone from NBA who thinks like that probably thinks only about London team, language and money potentials are therem, put it in Eastern Conference and flight distance isnt too far. Rest of Europe, not bloody likley.
It's not they, whoever this is, it's the NBA that wants to expand to Europe. Europe doesn't need the NBA, but it seems that the NBA needs Europe to a certain extent.

For anyone who hasn't got it yet, I look to all the croatians and greeks in here, american sports leagues are 100% profit oriented businesses. They have nothing got in common with sport associations that govern the european game. They will certainly not come here and develop the game. They will come here to develop the market.
And that's why the NBA will locate their franchises to the strongholds of disposable income rather than the strongholds of the game.

My guess would be London, Cologne and Berlin. These places have suitable venues and great numbers of well-funded population.
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #154
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
It's not they, whoever this is, it's the NBA that wants to expand to Europe. Europe doesn't need the NBA, but it seems that the NBA needs Europe to a certain extent.

For anyone who hasn't got it yet, I look to all the croatians and greeks in here, american sports leagues are 100% profit oriented businesses. They have nothing got in common with sport associations that govern the european game. They will certainly not come here and develop the game. They will come here to develop the market.
And that's why the NBA will locate their franchises to the strongholds of disposable income rather than the strongholds of the game.

My guess would be London, Cologne and Berlin. These places have suitable venues and great numbers of well-funded population.
that man speaks the truth!
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #155
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolovoda View Post
Can i just ask the question why would anyone in europe want the NBA. In my opinion the euroleague rocks and has the stick over the NBA. As a teen i started playing ball becasue fo the NBA but once i started watching the european competition realised what a great basetball competition it is.
Like someone else posted No point ruining 2 good leagues for a half baked idea.
Not everybody wants the NBA, if NBA ever come here (which i higly doubt at least for the following 10 years) will create couple franchise teams propable 6 mainly on virgin basketball cities and thats it.

But even that is dificult,

A) you have this huge distances

B) you need new NBA type arena which costs millions euros

C) you need a solid fan base to support this newly created team, which means every game must be sold out or at the vast majority full

D) The local team and the sport (basketball) must "sell" in a way to attract sponsors and commercials and to be seen around the local country

E) Many milions euros to buy players and be competive in NBA, i beleive at least 60-70 milions euros for start

F) and above all, you must find a man who will pay for all this.

"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

Old January 7th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #156
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

In the meantime Euroleague will continue to grow and to be seen by millions around the globe.

"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

Old January 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #157
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
It has nothing to do how well-funded a population is. If this was the case Alba Berlin wouldn't be so mediocre team as it is now.

You need money. If you have money you will buy good players. If you will buy good players your team most likely will have more victories and be on the top level. Its the rule which applies to all professionals sports.

"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

Last edited by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS; January 7th, 2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old January 8th, 2009, 02:24 AM   #158
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

flierfy hit it on the head. It doesn't matter how much some of these cities in Greece are into the sport. Its all about market size, ad revenue, etc---and its tough to compare to cities like London or Paris. Unfortunaley, leagues like the NBA are big into the money aspect (although, the league does help grow the game and is a positive member of the community).
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #159
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10784

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Did you even put any thought into this? Oakland is in a market of 7.3 million.

Furthermore, there will be no world league as long as there are 82 games on the schedule. The travel is not feasible.
You're right that Oakland is part of a much larger metropolitan market, but are you going to dismiss the entire argument over one minor error? The point was that certain markets are going to feel increasing pressures from larger markets that currently have no teams.

Why would an 82 game schedule make a world league impossible? You could still have exactly the same number of teams as exist now, but just relocate many of the smaller market teams to bigger cities around the world.

I hope you realize that I'm not advocating this, I'm merely pointing out that it is potentially how this may unfold. US sports leagues are businesses. The direction the NBA takes will always be dictated by profit. If it becomes substantially more profitable to move teams to Europe despite a massively higher travel bill, then teams will move there. That's just the way it is whether we like it or not.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #160
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Phillip Banks View Post
flierfy hit it on the head. It doesn't matter how much some of these cities in Greece are into the sport.
My friend what are you talking about? Where did i said that i want the NBA here and you are talking about "It doesn't matter how much some of these cities in Greece are into the sport"?
I only asked, "why this city and not that?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Phillip Banks
Its all about market size, ad revenue, etc---and its tough to compare to cities like London or Paris. Unfortunaley, leagues like the NBA are big into the money aspect (although, the league does help grow the game and is a positive member of the community).
Moscow has the same population as London and Paris.
+ CSKA Moscow is the current Euroleague champion

Russia has the population of UK and France combined.
+ Russia is the current European champion

So what?

"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

Last edited by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS; January 8th, 2009 at 12:50 PM.