daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #161
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Konstanz stop it, you keep re iterating the same points which keep getting disproved regularly, the problem is you don't seem to understand why, despite people repeatedly explaining it to you!
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #162
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

Stop what, the dialogue? From my point of view i bring to the table my opinion about the subject:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Not everybody wants the NBA, if NBA ever come here (which i higly doubt at least for the following 10 years) will create couple franchise teams propable 6 mainly on virgin basketball cities and thats it.

But even that is dificult,

A) you have this huge distances

B) you need new NBA type arena which costs millions euros

C) you need a solid fan base to support this newly created team, which means every game must be sold out or at the vast majority full

D) The local team and the sport (basketball) must "sell" in a way to attract sponsors and commercials and to be seen around the local country

E) Many milions euros to buy players and be competive in NBA, i beleive at least 60-70 milions euros for start

F) and above all, you must find a man who will pay for all this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Moscow has the same population as London and Paris.
+ CSKA Moscow is the current Euroleague champion

Russia has the population of UK and France combined.
+ Russia is the current European champion

So what?
and all i can read is 3-4 guys keep repeating about the market and the wealth of their cities.

So according to you guys the No 1 requirement is how much money per month earns the local population?

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #163
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5771

In Americas:

Coliseu San Juan - Puerto Rico
Santiago Arena - Chile
Luna Park, Buenos Aires - Argentina
HSBC Arena, Rio de Janeiro - Brasil
TEBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #164
masterpaul
(Nilaul)

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
however, that record has long since been broken
By who, when? + source
Old January 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #165
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshire royal View Post
London is the most racially and culturally diverse city in the world
It's 58.2% white British.
krudmonk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #166
berkshire royal

Likes (Received): 1

Well it claims to be and does have a pretty good claim and even if it isn’t my point was that with such a huge range of people there will always be a place for a large number of different tastes and preferences.
Only Miami and Toronto have higher percentages of foreign born citizens living in their city, in London there are over 300 different languages spoken, there are 19 different nationalities with a high population in the city (30,000+) and there is lots of different religions represented in the city.
But back to my original point with all them cultures mixing there will always be a market for a sport like basketball or any other sport for that matter.
berkshire royal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:40 AM   #167
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post

Moscow has the same population as London and Paris.
+ CSKA Moscow is the current Euroleague champion

Russia has the population of UK and France combined.
+ Russia is the current European champion

So what?
While this may be true, there is no way that the NBA is ever going to have a team in Moscow. Its too far east and isolated from the other huge European cities. If there ever was going to be a "European division" it would probally be strictly Western European--with a cutoff point at Germany (which I doubt even likes the sport).
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #168
El Mariachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS View Post

and all i can read is 3-4 guys keep repeating about the market and the wealth of their cities.

So according to you guys the No 1 requirement is how much money per month earns the local population?
Pretty much, unfortunaely. That is what I was trying to say before. The NBA is about the money, the brand new arenas, the marketing/advertising, etc.
Old January 9th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #169
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Phillip Banks View Post
While this may be true, there is no way that the NBA is ever going to have a team in Moscow. Its too far east and isolated from the other huge European cities. If there ever was going to be a "European division" it would probally be strictly Western European--with a cutoff point at Germany (which I doubt even likes the sport).
I think EVER is a strong word but I think it would be behind the top 4-5 and wouldn't come unless the first go about of European expansion was seen as a success. Moscow has the metro and Russia the right state size to market. Also while there is an uber-rich and corperate class which is a positive though I am not sure if Moscow's middle class would be seen as robust enough (just speculation, perhaps it is robust enough by W. Europe standards).

The NHL in Moscow however I could see as more likely........

On the downside Moscow adds at least a few hours to most of the teams travel scheduling including European teams. Plus Russian-American relations would have to be seen as stable and even though they are not near at cold war levels I think the NBA would want to go where there is high confidence that any serious downturn in relations isn't at all likely. Also unlike some other cities in which some NA players may see living as an exotic fun place to play I am not sure if Moscow would be very high on many players list to transplant to. Of course being professional athletes some would place in Yellowknife, Canada if the contract is right.
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #170
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
It's 58.2% white British.
in 2001 when the census was severely undercounted, London has changed massively even in from 2001 when i was still at school!
Old January 9th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #171
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

I know supersonic business jets are in development. Maybe teams could buy these to reduce the travel headaches and make it a possibility. Time change would still be a nightmare obviously.
JYDA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #172
Scba

Likes (Received): 1420

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
I know supersonic business jets are in development. Maybe teams could buy these to reduce the travel headaches and make it a possibility. Time change would still be a nightmare obviously.
They wouldn't have to resort to that, teams wouldn't come over very often. When they do, they play all around Europe, not just one team for two days and then dash back home.
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #173
Kazurro
Con la roja a muerte.

Likes (Received): 1577

I like Euroleague, but i've no doubt a franchise based in Spain would be much more popular than any Euroleague team now. Specially if they sign any Spanish player for marketing purposes...

Bigboss: ¿what is the actual popularity of NFL in the UK? And your domestic league?

Last edited by Kazurro; January 10th, 2009 at 03:31 PM.
Kazurro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #174
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazurro View Post
I like Euroleague, but i've no doubt a franchise based in Spain would be much more popular than any Euroleague team now. Specially if they sign any Spanish player for marketing purposes...

Bigboss: ¿what is the actual popularity of NFL in the UK? And your domestic league?
we have no domestic league as such... amatuer leagues yes but no professional league that i know of...

the sport got really big in the 80s and early 90s when they had the world bowl and the london monarchs, used to be on channel 4 IIRC and used to get big audiences, then it petered out, but with sky and channel 5 running with it, it's increasingly popular now and a franchise would be massive... it is probably the in the top 5 biggest university sports (after Football, Rugby etc)
Old January 10th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #175
El Mariachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I think EVER is a strong word but I think it would be behind the top 4-5 and wouldn't come unless the first go about of European expansion was seen as a success. Moscow has the metro and Russia the right state size to market. Also while there is an uber-rich and corperate class which is a positive though I am not sure if Moscow's middle class would be seen as robust enough (just speculation, perhaps it is robust enough by W. Europe standards).

The NHL in Moscow however I could see as more likely........
Yeah, you are probally right. If the league was very successful in Western Europe, I could see them maybe doing it. The idea of having teams needing to travel from Houston or Chicago to Moscow or Athens, then back to the states to play a home game just makes your head spin. I don't know who it would be worse for----the players or the guys who have to write the schedules!
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #176
masterpaul
(Nilaul)

Likes (Received): 215

why should nba choose london?

Warsaw is going to be just as attractive, a modern enpty 20 000 indoor hall. Center of europe. Good infastructure by 2012.

Like England basketball in Poland, is on a low level.
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #177
Mr. Met

Likes (Received): 3

is it nba ready with press access, amenities, ect, or just just modern
Mr. Met no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:58 AM   #178
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Met View Post
is it nba ready with press access, amenities, ect, or just just modern
i really think it depends on the city. NBA arena i guess would mean that its loaded with suites and such but it should depend on who lives in the city and who will go to the games. Its a different culture, even if it is the NBA.
Old January 11th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #179
El Mariachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterpaul View Post
why should nba choose london?

Warsaw is going to be just as attractive, a modern enpty 20 000 indoor hall. Center of europe. Good infastructure by 2012.

Like England basketball in Poland, is on a low level.
Because London is one of the most important cities in the world with lots of money, advertising revenue, diversity, and they speak English.
Old January 11th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #180
bigbossman

what he said