daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:38 AM   #21
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

Jaeger that was good. London and Paris are much bigger than Philly.
or....
Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane/Gold Coast.
or...
Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:59 AM   #22
Brisbaner21
Sunshine City

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
or....
or...
I don't think Philadelphia is compared to Sydney or Melbourne in anyway, they blow Philly out of the water.

Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto also do the same.

But Philly is still an awesome city.
Brisbaner21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:23 AM   #23
ciracentered

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisbaner21 View Post
I don't think Philadelphia is compared to Sydney or Melbourne in anyway, they blow Philly out of the water.

I don't know if any of the cities you listed blow Philadelphia out of the water. Some may certainly be "better" depending on your criteria and tastes, but I don't think any obviously outclass Philly.

Last edited by ciracentered; January 3rd, 2009 at 01:29 AM.
ciracentered no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:34 AM   #24
Brisbaner21
Sunshine City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciracentered View Post

I don't know if any of the cities you listed blow Philadelphia out of the water. Some may certainly be "better" depending on your criteria and tastes, but I don't think any obviously outclass Philly.
You know whats funny, you probaly know nothing on either Sydney or Melbourne, thats the funny part. The other good part is, you probaly have never even been to these cities, or for that matter, Australia. I have been to Philly, it doesn't even hold a light to Melbourne or Sydney. The diversity and power that these two cities hold is much greater than Philadelphia. Lets not forget, Sydney and Melbourne are also GROWING cities.

Like I stated previously, I don't think there is anything wrong with Phildelphia, but it can't even be matched with Sydney or Melbourne. Sorry...
Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:48 AM   #25
Jaeger

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
or....
or...
Okay -

London - New York

image hosted on flickr

Warsaw - Philadelphia

image hosted on flickr

Benidorm

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Jaeger; January 3rd, 2009 at 02:39 AM.
Jaeger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:53 AM   #26
ciracentered

Quote:
You know whats funny, you probaly know nothing on either Sydney or Melbourne, thats the funny part. The other good part is, you probaly have never even been to these cities, or for that matter, Australia. I have been to Philly, it doesn't even hold a light to Melbourne or Sydney. The diversity and power that these two cities hold is much greater than Philadelphia. Lets not forget, Sydney and Melbourne are also GROWING cities.

Like I stated previously, I don't think there is anything wrong with Phildelphia, but it can't even be matched with Sydney or Melbourne. Sorry...
I really don't want to get into a city v. city...but I've been to both Melbourne and Sydney and just don't see it. Both are wonderful cities but out of Philadelphia's league? I just don't see it.

You made three claims in that post: 1) More Diversity in the australian cities, 2) more "power, 3) they're growing.

1) You may be right about diversity. Philadelphia is not currently quite as big a draw for immigrants -- but is certainly a diverse city. While African-Americans hold a ~43% majority and Irish/Italians and other European-Americans make up another 40%, there are sizeable Puerto Rican, Korean, Chinese, Cambodian, Vietnamese, Mexican, Russian, West African, Brazilian, etc. communities. Do the Australian cities outmatch Philly in terms of diversity? It depends on how much emphasis you put on recent immigrants vs. established ethnic communites....

2) Power. I don't see how this is close. From an economic standpoint, Philadelphia's Gross Metropolitan Product ranks 9th in the world (4th in the U.S.) and is projected to rise to 8th by 2020. Toronto ranks 21st (projected to drop to 22), Sydney ranks 26th (projected to drop out of top 30), and none of your other cities are in the top 30.

3) Growth. I'm not sure what the rate of growth is in the cities you listed, but while Philadelphia proper is losing population (at a slowing rate) the Urban Area is indeed still growing. And is indeed still more populous than any city you listed with the possible exception of Toronto.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:01 AM   #27
Brisbaner21
Sunshine City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciracentered View Post
I really don't want to get into a city v. city...but I've been to both Melbourne and Sydney and just don't see it. Both are wonderful cities but out of Philadelphia's league? I just don't see it.

You made three claims in that post: 1) More Diversity in the australian cities, 2) more "power, 3) they're growing.

1) You may be right about diversity. Philadelphia is not currently quite as big a draw for immigrants -- but is certainly a diverse city. While African-Americans hold a ~43% majority and Irish/Italians and other European-Americans make up another 40%, there are sizeable Puerto Rican, Korean, Chinese, Cambodian, Vietnamese, Mexican, Russian, West African, Brazilian, etc. communities. Do the Australian cities outmatch Philly in terms of diversity? It depends on how much emphasis you put on recent immigrants vs. established ethnic communites....

2) Power. I don't see how this is close. From an economic standpoint, Philadelphia's Gross Metropolitan Product ranks 9th in the world (4th in the U.S.) and is projected to rise to 8th by 2020. Toronto ranks 21st (projected to drop to 22), Sydney ranks 26th (projected to drop out of top 30), and none of your other cities are in the top 30.

3) Growth. I'm not sure what the rate of growth is in the cities you listed, but while Philadelphia proper is losing population (at a slowing rate) the Urban Area is indeed still growing. And is indeed still more populous than any city you listed with the possible exception of Toronto.

Ok, but world class city standpoint, Melbourne and Sydney still get much more attention, and yes Philadelphia is very underrated, but so is the case for Melbourne.

Where is your information in question two, I would love to see that.

I just don't see how anyone could compare Sydney and Melbourne to Philadelphia.

Philadelphia may have more people than Sydney or Melbourne, but these two Aussie cities sure do have a lot more life in them as far as street activity, pedestrian traffic, and construction goes.

Heres some info on our population in Australia:

http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/D33...ment?utm_id=GT
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:09 AM   #28
ciracentered

Quote:
Where is your information in question two, I would love to see that.

I just don't see how anyone could compare Sydney and Melbourne to Philadelphia.

Philadelphia may have more people than Sydney or Melbourne, but these two Aussie cities sure do have a lot more life in them as far as street activity, pedestrian traffic, and construction goes.

1) Here's the study on city GDPs: http://www.pwc.com/tr/tur/ins-sol/pu...es_march07.pdf

2) Is there really that much more construction in Sydney/Melbourne than Philly? Philly just finished the Comcast Center (975 feet) and approved the plans for the American Commerce Center (1,510 feet). Scores of other smaller buildings have been recently completed or are under construction as we speak. The Residences at the Ritz (518 feet) is wrapping up construction as we speak. For a full rundown of the projects in philly, check out Phillyskyline.com.

3) Street activity and pedestrian traffic are subjective...I wouldn't know how to quantify them. But I don't really see the distinction you're talking about here either. The pictures in the original post to this thread seem to show streets packed with people despite the cold.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 03:43 AM   #29
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 6008

Philadelphia often doesn't get "World City" status like Sydney because Philly is in the shadows of both New York City and Washington D.C.--which dwarf it in national importance. The city would be held in higher regard it if was located elsewhere in the country. I also would argue that Philadelphia still is notoriously viewed as being crime ridden (which it is)---more similar to Detroit then Boston (which is wrong).

As for diversity, I think its an overrated statistic on these forums. Toronto, Dubai, and Miami are supposedly the most diverse cities in the world--but would you consider them to be superior cities to Tokyo, Seoul, or Hong Kong? I wouldn't, despite them being less ethincally diverse.

I hope you don't mind philadweller--but this is my favorite picture of Philadelphia.
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:43 AM   #30
kansas

Quote:

Its good to be king.

You realize you are exposing yourselves when you need continents to compare to a country.

Take the entire urban area into account and Sydney and Brisbane are kids play in comparison to Philadelphia.

Jaegar if you want to play,places on the map, top this Europe vs USA you are going to get your doors blown off.

City/Urban area Country GDP in US$bn (2005)

http://www.citymayors.com/statistics...ties-2005.html

1 Tokyo Japan 1191
2 New York USA 1133
3 Los Angeles USA 639
4 Chicago USA 460
5 Paris France 460
6 London UK 452
7 Osaka/Kobe Japan 341
8 Mexico City Mexico 315
9 Philadelphia USA 312
10 Washington DC USA 299
11 Boston USA 290
12 Dallas/Fort Worth USA 268
13 Buenos Aires Argentina 245
14 Hong Kong China 244
15 San Francisco/Oakland USA 242
16 Atlanta USA 236
17 Houston USA 235
18 Miami USA 231
19 Sao Paulo Brazil 225
20 Seoul South Korea 218
21 Toronto Canada 209
22 Detroit USA 203
23 Madrid Spain 188
24 Seattle USA 186
25 Moscow Russia 181
26 Sydney Australia 172

Last edited by kansas; January 3rd, 2009 at 08:21 AM.
kansas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:18 AM   #31
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12285

Guys, please don't turn this photothread into a City vs City. Philly is truly an underrated city and has some amazing historical architecture.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 03:22 PM   #32
Tim999
K9 XXX

Likes (Received): 554

Very interesting thread When the occasion arises I will visit Philadelphia
I have one request. Give me the newest information of Philadelphia urban area (population, area km2) with reference to Miami and Washington urban area. Thx
Krakow is the second largest city in Poland. It is not only an administrative center of the Małopolskie Voivodship, but also an intra-regional scientific and economic center - a valuable partner for its investors. The economic significance of Krakow is reinforced by the demographic potential of the region - approximately 8 million people live within a 100 km radius of the city | krakow.pl
Tim999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 06:35 PM   #33
Toronto10

Quote:

Maybe I am missing something here but what is with all the Philly hate?

Great photos Philadweller and what kind of individual is so insecure that he/she has to use chamber of commerce photos from London Paris and Benidorm in somebodys photo thread? I mean who does this? Thats the antics of a snot nosed kid. As good of photos as Philladweller produced it was probably 20 degrees F when those pics were taken, the dead of winter in Philly NYC and for someone to copy+ paste a couple of photo shopped images of Paris London is just ridiculous.Unbelievable.

I would add that Philly is a great city in its own right but to be fair you have to include the overall metro as 80% of the wealth and most of the new growth in the Philly area is in its suburbs, that just how it works in the states. 75% of the population in the Philly area live in its suburbs probably 90% of its wealth.In that context the reality of the situation is that the overall urban Philly area blows Brisbane,Sydney,Montreal,Toronto,vancouver out of the water.

If you want to compare Philly to Sydney or Brisbane it should be done on a regional basis,I'm not so sure you would like the results.

Lastly keep in mind that its the middle of winter in Philadlephia,people hibernate in their homes, the streets not so busy. Spring,summer,fall I'm just not seeing the lack of vibrancy,there is plenty of street life in Philadlephia.
Toronto10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 06:38 PM   #34
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12285

People hibernate in most northern countries in winter, including cities like London and Paris.
Winter is just not as welcoming to be out and about.
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #35
Brisbaner21
Sunshine City

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas View Post
Its good to be king.

You realize you are exposing yourselves when you need continents to compare to a country.

Take the entire urban area into account and Sydney and Brisbane are kids play in comparison to Philadelphia.

Jaegar if you want to play,places on the map, top this Europe vs USA you are going to get your doors blown off.

City/Urban area Country GDP in US$bn (2005)

http://www.citymayors.com/statistics...ties-2005.html

1 Tokyo Japan 1191
2 New York USA 1133
3 Los Angeles USA 639
4 Chicago USA 460
5 Paris France 460
6 London UK 452
7 Osaka/Kobe Japan 341
8 Mexico City Mexico 315
9 Philadelphia USA 312
10 Washington DC USA 299
11 Boston USA 290
12 Dallas/Fort Worth USA 268
13 Buenos Aires Argentina 245
14 Hong Kong China 244
15 San Francisco/Oakland USA 242
16 Atlanta USA 236
17 Houston USA 235
18 Miami USA 231
19 Sao Paulo Brazil 225
20 Seoul South Korea 218
21 Toronto Canada 209
22 Detroit USA 203
23 Madrid Spain 188
24 Seattle USA 186
25 Moscow Russia 181
26 Sydney Australia 172

I think you just did all the exposing on yourself. Good job mate! Have you been to Australia yet???

Don't get my wrong, I had some good times in Philly, I just don't see what all the hype is about.

No more ruining of this thread... Carry on.
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #36
philadweller

Damn, this thread almost turned ugly. Bottom line is Philadelphia is a big dense historic city with street life year round. I would say it has more street life than most US cities.

I have never been to Australia and I was not comparing the cities to ours specifically. I was making analogies in terms of weather, climate, hierarchy and architecture. I would suspect that Philadelphia is most like Melbourne based on what I've heard and what I've seen. I did not want this to turn into a city vs. city thread at all. I just wanted to share the experience of being in 3 big US cities in 5 days each with their own character.
NYC and Philly are clearly not resort cities. The Gold Coast is and the closest thing Canada has to Miami is Vancouver.

And yes the photo conditions were daunting.
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:08 AM   #37
philadweller

"Don't get my wrong, I had some good times in Philly, I just don't see what all the hype is about."

I guess you have to visit every US city to see how special Philly is. I ask myself that question to certain US cities but will not name them.
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #38
philadweller

Instead of thinking that one city is better than another I tend to think of what makes the city that I am discovering unique.
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #39
sky-eye
Zitterd veur ummer

Likes (Received): 733

Nice pics
sky-eye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #40
kansas

Quote:
I think you just did all the exposing on yourself. Good job mate! Have you been to Australia yet???...Im done...carry on

Hold on here. You cant go making false bragadocious claims and then say I'm done.What a hypocrite you are.Let me ask you. What do you know about the Philadelphia region? I apologize Philadweller.

You were the one who started throwing around supercilous claims that Philadlephia gets blown out of the water in comparison to Sydney or Melbourne which is completely erroneous in regards to total urban area of the respective locales.So its probably not wise of you to be so condescending considering the Philadlephia area is wealthier, bigger , with arguably better architecture and culture than Sydney and Melbourne. All the while being sandwiched between the 2 of the most powerful cities on the globe, NYC 80 miles to the N, Washinton DC 125 miles to the S.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by kansas; January 4th, 2009 at 08:34 PM.
kansas no está en línea   Reply With Quote