daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #41
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

Kansas, that town is Jim Thorpe, PA which is an hour north of Philadelphia. It looks like Manayunk in Philadelphia a bit.

Also, glad that you used my photo (#5) and showed the hills. People think Philadelphia is flat.

People forget that Philadelphia sandwiched between DC and NYC. Baltimore too is part of the filling. Considering the competition, Philly fares well with European tourists.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #42
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3717

The biggest problems with Philly is the high crime, declining population, and large amounts of poverty. Plus I read that people in Philly aren't very friendly, but that's rather subjective.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #43
Jaeger

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
The biggest problems with Philly is the high crime, declining population, and large amounts of poverty. Plus I read that people in Philly aren't very friendly, but that's rather subjective.
It should also be noted that although Philadweller may romanticise about the virtues of Philadelphia, he actually lives in the sunny climes of Fort Lauderdale in Florida.

Furthermore having recently viewed Louis Theoux's recent documentary regarding North Philadelphia, I am inclined to agree with you, that parts of Philadelphia do have real problems relating to violent crime, poverty and subsequent social problems.

Philadelphia certainly has it's share of culture, art galleries and fine architecture, but it always seems to be a city which doesn't have the in your face attitude or blatent boastfullness of many cities not just in the US but throughout the world. Perhaps it's just far too overshadowed by nearby NYC to proclaim it's greatness across the world or perhaps it is often just merely overlooked.

Last edited by Jaeger; January 4th, 2009 at 11:08 PM.
Jaeger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #44
philadweller

"The biggest problems with Philly is the high crime, declining population, and large amounts of poverty. Plus I read that people in Philly aren't very friendly, but that's rather subjective."

When I first visited Philadelphia I was appalled and delighted at the same time. The crime rate is high on paper but do you really think that there would be so many people on the street walking day and night if it was that terrible? We are not talking Cape Town, Mogadishu or Johannesburg.

Florida feels a lot more dangerous and the same goes with any city that has no pedestrian activity. In the US the most dangerous cities are the most desolate ones.

Philadelphia has a great downtown and surrounding area and there is enough of it to see without having to step foot in a slum.

Although the city is losing population there is major growth in the center. It took me years to fall in love with Philadelphia. When I lived in Boston I used to be intrigued by Philly for its size and location but feared it's sense of lawlessness. It has improved tremendously since the early 1990's.
Philadelphia is a very misunderstood city because geographically it is huge. I spent 12 years in Philly and probably saw 30 percent of the city at best.

Philadelphia is friendly, it is a no BS city so it seems a little crass at times. You really cannot generalize an entire city by a few encounters. Philadelphia was rated the most unnattractive city for people. I don't know there are some hot men and women in Pennsylvania. My attitude is go there for yourself and stop listening to the media.

Last edited by philadweller; January 5th, 2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #45
Brisbaner21
Sunshine City

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas View Post
Hold on here. You cant go making false bragadocious claims and then say I'm done.What a hypocrite you are.Let me ask you. What do you know about the Philadelphia region? I apologize Philadweller.

You were the one who started throwing around supercilous claims that Philadlephia gets blown out of the water in comparison to Sydney or Melbourne which is completely erroneous in regards to total urban area of the respective locales.So its probably not wise of you to be so condescending considering the Philadlephia area is wealthier, bigger , with arguably better architecture and culture than Sydney and Melbourne. All the while being sandwiched between the 2 of the most powerful cities on the globe, NYC 80 miles to the N, Washinton DC 125 miles to the S.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

First off, don't for one second call me a hypocrite when you DO NOT KNOW ME! Second off, you just had to go back, you couldn't let it go, I said I am done because I do not want to ruin this thread, seems like you don't care.

Anyway, I had a good time in Philly, and if you would read my post, I said it was underrated, yes because it is by New York. Same could be said for Melbourne like I previously stated too.

I went to Philly back in the winter or '07 (or your summer). I had a great time, and Philly truly is one my top 5 favourite American cities. I know that is hard to believe by what I am saying, but I just think Melbourne and Sydney hold greater qualities. My favourite American cities were Chicago, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Boston, and of course New York. I loved the architecture in all of these cities, from modern to old, they all had amazing districts throughout the cities, and had very lively CBDs.

I am saying, for a city of Philadelphia's size, I thought I would see more street life going on. I spent about a week there, so I got a good idea of the city. I just don't think it possesses the life that Melbourne and Sydney do.

Philadweller, Philly is a truly great city, and please do not take me the wrong way, it has a beautiful skyline and amazing diversity. It really is on my top five favourite American cities list.
Brisbaner21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 05:25 AM   #46
alasi

Likes (Received): 0

I think that we should take Brisbaner 21 at his word and just get back to appreciating the photo essay, which I did. It is interesting to see how much Miami has changed( haven't been there in 20 years).
alasi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #47
ElCrioyo
Ed.v.cas.baeZ

Likes (Received): 1687

Philly sucks, apart of the small downtown they have, nothing else is nice...
ElCrioyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #48
philadweller

"Philly sucks, apart of the small downtown they have, nothing else is nice..."

Well how could you forget Nicetown?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicetown
It's always nice in Nicetown.
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #49
ciracentered

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCrioyo View Post
Philly sucks, apart of the small downtown they have, nothing else is nice...
Chestnut Hill? Mt. Airy? UC/Powelton/Baltimore Ave? NoLibs and Fishtown? Queen Village, Bella Vista, and the rest of South Philly? Fairmount?

And the "downtown" itself (vine to south, river to river) isn't really that small. Third largest "downtown" population in the U.S. after NY and Chicago...

Last edited by ciracentered; January 5th, 2009 at 06:21 AM.
ciracentered no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:18 AM   #50
philadweller

Spruce Hill, Manayunk, Girard Estates, East Falls, Roxborough?
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #51
philadweller

"I am saying, for a city of Philadelphia's size, I thought I would see more street life going on. I spent about a week there, so I got a good idea of the city. I just don't think it possesses the life that Melbourne and Sydney do."

In the Summer people flock to the Jersey Shore. Autumn is nice when all the college kids are back and Spring is fantastic when everyone comes out of hibernation.
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #52
philadweller

"It should also be noted that although Philadweller may romanticise about the virtues of Philadelphia, he actually lives in the sunny climes of Fort Lauderdale in Florida. "

Well I did live in Philadelphia for 12 years but moved here for a job and love. Both have fizzled out. Now I am used to the warm weather and this really sucks becuase I would love to move to Chicago. When I was up north for the holidays people seemed jealous that I lived somewhere warm. Winters do suck even thought many of the best world cities experience them. Anyone that says they love Winter is a masochist.
Old January 6th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #53
Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
"It should also be noted that although Philadweller may romanticise about the virtues of Philadelphia, he actually lives in the sunny climes of Fort Lauderdale in Florida. "

Well I did live in Philadelphia for 12 years but moved here for a job and love. Both have fizzled out. Now I am used to the warm weather and this really sucks becuase I would love to move to Chicago. When I was up north for the holidays people seemed jealous that I lived somewhere warm. Winters do suck even thought many of the best world cities experience them. Anyone that says they love Winter is a masochist.
I remember you saying in previous posts that Boston was a nightmare in winter when you lived there. Your native New York was hardly warm in winter, and even Philly is Chilly.

Whilst there is nothing wrong with preferring the sunshine, it does make your argument for living all year round in the Northern Regions of the US slightly less valid.

Still I suppose there are plenty of warmer winter cities to explore and live in within the USA.

Last edited by Jaeger; January 6th, 2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old January 6th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #54
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12285

Winter is crap in every Northern city, but it also gets boring in a hot Southern clime where the temperatures never change. The change of season is quite wonderful, even if Winter is too long.
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #55
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Stop dissing Philly...I plan on moving there.

It's one of the greatest cities in the United States and is a major historic center + former 2nd city of the British Empire.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #56
philadweller

"Stop dissing Philly...I plan on moving there.

It's one of the greatest cities in the United States and is a major historic center + former 2nd city of the British Empire."

Cool. I miss it.
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:08 AM   #57
Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Stop dissing Philly...I plan on moving there.

It's one of the greatest cities in the United States and is a major historic center + former 2nd city of the British Empire.
I am always very dubious when someone claims their city was the second city of the British Empire, as this claim has been made by numerous cities including Liverpool, Glasgow, Dublin and Calcutta. Given that the most important trading country in the British Empire was India, known as the Jewel in the Crown, and much of the industry that generated the Empire was situated in the North of England where the industrial revolution first occurred, I doubt very much that Philadelphia could claim it was the second city of Empire. It was no doubt an important city and capital for a period of time. As for discussing the reality of Phillies cities weather, it is hardly dissing it. Philadelphia is colder than Florida which is why Philadweller moved, thats a reality.
Old January 7th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #58
philadweller

Jaeger I don't think those comments were directed at you. They were directed at Brisbaner.

I heard that Philadelphia was the second largest English speaking city in the world at one time. It was also the largest US city at one time too.
Old January 7th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #59
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12285

It was the second largest city in the British Empire at one time, and that is a fact.

People who are dissing Philly should take all the hate and put it in a box, because this is a photothread and not the place to share it. Philadweller has provided us with some amazing photos and does not have to defend himself or Philadelphia. Lighten up, folks!

Xzmattzx did a photospread on Jim Thorpe, PA not long ago.
Old January 7th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #60
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244842

Those 3 cities in this thread are truly amazing! More pics/shots please
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote