daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 7th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #61
pokistic

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto10 View Post
Maybe I am missing something here but what is with all the Philly hate?

Great photos Philadweller and what kind of individual is so insecure that he/she has to use chamber of commerce photos from London Paris and Benidorm in somebodys photo thread? I mean who does this? Thats the antics of a snot nosed kid. As good of photos as Philladweller produced it was probably 20 degrees F when those pics were taken, the dead of winter in Philly NYC and for someone to copy+ paste a couple of photo shopped images of Paris London is just ridiculous.Unbelievable.

I would add that Philly is a great city in its own right but to be fair you have to include the overall metro as 80% of the wealth and most of the new growth in the Philly area is in its suburbs, that just how it works in the states. 75% of the population in the Philly area live in its suburbs probably 90% of its wealth.In that context the reality of the situation is that the overall urban Philly area blows Brisbane,Sydney,Montreal,Toronto,vancouver out of the water.

If you want to compare Philly to Sydney or Brisbane it should be done on a regional basis,I'm not so sure you would like the results.

Lastly keep in mind that its the middle of winter in Philadlephia,people hibernate in their homes, the streets not so busy. Spring,summer,fall I'm just not seeing the lack of vibrancy,there is plenty of street life in Philadlephia.

I totally agree on everything you say here.

But I have to add to this. The wealthy people doesn't seem to care about the city of Philadelphia. They have created other business centers outside of the city, created better shopping in malls, better and probably newish housing than in the city, the schools are much better, they seem to be satisfy not to set foot in the city. Some of those wealthy suburbans people don't interact with their city as much as the people in Australia do in those two Australian cities. Philadelphia has the same issues as many American cities have. Where the wealthy and the middle class seem to forget or abandon their central cities. But like it was mention already, there is a new activity in the center of these cities lately, with new construction and retail. As a result, Philadelphia has a beautiful skyline. But the rest of the city feels old, dirty and poorer. Except for a few pockets, like Manayunk. Other cities in the world did not experience such abandonment of their central cities as much as American cities did. But I am really glad that Philadelphia is getting some new attention lately though.
pokistic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #62
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

"But I have to add to this. The wealthy people doesn't seem to care about the city of Philadelphia."

This is half true. It is the rich suburbanites from NJ, NY and PA and expats from NYC which have helped Center City flourish. The Main Liners pretty much stay out in the Main Line. Center City has plenty of rich folk that prefer the urban way of life and sneer at the King of Prussia Mall and srpawl. Detroit would be a better example of rich suburbanites that won't help their city. Philadelphia has a very high homeownership rate by the way.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #63
pokistic

Likes (Received): 4

Yeah but compared to the huge wealth in the area, the wealth coming to Philadelphia is very low. Most of Philadelphia home prices is still cheap. Even during the boom time. Except for the center of the city and some surrounding areas, the rest of the city keeps loosing population, immigrants numbers are still low and crime still is high. The only thing that makes Philadelphia looks good is its vibrant center. Which is nicer compare to many other American cities. But the rest of the city does not look too good. I even think that Manayunk is overrated. A nice vibrant main street but that is about it. The surrounding area is nothing to rave about.

Also remember that I was comparing it to the Australian cities, not to other American cities. And yes Detroit is probably the worst of them all.
pokistic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #64
Jaeger

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
It was the second largest city in the British Empire at one time, and that is a fact.

People who are dissing Philly should take all the hate and put it in a box, because this is a photothread and not the place to share it. Philadweller has provided us with some amazing photos and does not have to defend himself or Philadelphia. Lighten up, folks!

Xzmattzx did a photospread on Jim Thorpe, PA not long ago.
I am sorry Taller, Better but when was Philly the second largest city???

The first is that the population of Philadelphia in 1776 was all of 30,000 people, and the population of the entire country was about 2,500,000.

By 1744 Calcutta had a population of well over 100,000 and this had increased to around 120,000 by 1776.

Philadelphia was without doubt a major city and a capital city, however the Empire included many very populous places such as India, and even many British Cities of the time were gearing up towards the industrial revolution and the subsequent move from a rural economy to a city based industrial one.

http://www.globusz.com/ebooks/Indust...n/00000012.htm

Last edited by Jaeger; January 7th, 2009 at 07:56 PM.
Jaeger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #65
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12285

I'm hesitant to get into this, as discussions of populations generally lead to argy-bargies, but it is such an interesting subject that I have a hard time not investigating it a bit!! I will admit I am no expert in history, and I have just gleaned a few facts by Googling, so please take this in the friendly spirit of discussion! If I am wrong please tell me so that I know the true facts. It is widely quoted that Philly was the second largest city in the British Empire from around 1750's to 1774:
" 6 Philadelphia was chosen as the meeting place because of its central location and accessibility and also because of its size and importance. In 1774, it had an estimated population of approximately 40,000 making it the second largest city in the British Empire. (ibid., p. 13.)" source:US Department of State Office of the Historian:
http://www.history.state.gov/departm...dings/section2

It might be very true that by 1744 Calcutta had a population of well over 100,000 and this had increased to around 120,000 by 1776, but India was not part of the British Empire until after the Revolt of 1857 (also called Sepoy Mutiny). Before that time the English East India Company was involved in trading and many skirmishes in India, but the Company's conquest of India was completed in 1857, when the country was first declared as a part of British Empire.

I suspect Dublin was larger than Philly during that period, but (and I am no expert on this) I believe the Kingdom of Ireland merged with the Kingdom of Great Britain in 1800. I think (but may be wrong) that prior to that time there were 16th century Plantations of Ireland, run by English colonists, that predated being part of the British Empire.

I may have muddled all of this up, and perhaps there is a historian out there! In any case, during that half century Philly was the most important city in America, only to be surpassed by NYC after 1800.

Also, by 1815 London was the largest city in the world, and had a surprisingly large population by 1760 of 750,000. By
1815 this had swelled to perhaps 1.4 million, which was pretty massive for the day.

Last edited by Taller, Better; January 7th, 2009 at 08:57 PM.
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #66
Jaeger

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
I'm hesitant to get into this, as discussions of populations generally lead to argy-bargies, but it is such an interesting subject that I have a hard time not investigating it a bit!! I will admit I am no expert in history, and I have just gleaned a few facts by Googling, so please take this in the friendly spirit of discussion! If I am wrong please tell me so that I know the true facts. It is widely quoted that Philly was the second largest city in the British Empire from around 1750's to 1774:
" 6 Philadelphia was chosen as the meeting place because of its central location and accessibility and also because of its size and importance. In 1774, it had an estimated population of approximately 40,000 making it the second largest city in the British Empire. (ibid., p. 13.)" source:US Department of State Office of the Historian:
http://www.history.state.gov/departm...dings/section2

It might be very true that by 1744 Calcutta had a population of well over 100,000 and this had increased to around 120,000 by 1776, but India was not part of the British Empire until after the Revolt of 1857 (also called Sepoy Mutiny). Before that time the English East India Company was involved in trading and many skirmishes in India, but the Company's conquest of India was completed in 1857, when the country was first declared as a part of British Empire.

I suspect Dublin was larger than Philly during that period, but (and I am no expert on this) I believe the Kingdom of Ireland merged with the Kingdom of Great Britain in 1800. I think (but may be wrong) that prior to that time there were 16th century Plantations of Ireland, run by English colonists, that predated being part of the British Empire.

I may have muddled all of this up, and perhaps there is a historian out there! In any case, during that half century Philly was the most important city in America, only to be surpassed by NYC after 1800.

Also, by 1815 London was the largest city in the world, and had a surprisingly large population by 1760 of 750,000. By
1815 this had swelled to perhaps 1.4 million, which was pretty massive for the day.
In 1702, the British completed the construction of old Fort William,, which was used to station its troops and as a regional base. Kolkata (then Calcutta) was declared a Presidency City, and later became the headquarters of the Bengal Presidency.

Faced with frequent skirmishes with French forces, in 1756 the British began to upgrade their fortifications. When protests against the militarisation by the Nawab of Bengal Siraj-Ud-Daulah went unheeded he attacked and captured Fort William, leading to the infamous Black Hole incident.

A force of Company sepoys and British troops led by Robert Clive recaptured the city the following year. Kolkata (calcutta) was named the capital of British India in 1772. It was during this period that the marshes surrounding the city were drained and the government area was laid out along the banks of the Hooghly River. Richard Wellesley, the Governor General between 1797–1805, was largely responsible for the growth of the city and its public architecture which led to the description of Kolkata as "The City of Palaces". The city was a centre of the British East India Company's opium trade during the 18th and 19th century; locally produced opium was sold at auction in Kolkata, to be shipped to China.

Furthermore British cities such as Bristol had large populations, Bristol's population was 100,000 by 1769 (Macpherson's Annals of Commerce (1769)), Liverpool had a population of between 30,000 and 40,000 and Manchester had a population of around 30,000. Bristol's rapid growth was due to the slave trade, until it was finally oulawed with the introduction of the 1833 Slavery Abolition Act.

http://www.globusz.com/ebooks/Indust...n/00000012.htm

http://www.scribd.com/doc/6543652/Ar...ial-Revolution

Last edited by Jaeger; January 7th, 2009 at 10:24 PM.
Jaeger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #67
philadweller

"Also remember that I was comparing it to the Australian cities, not to other American cities. And yes Detroit is probably the worst of them all."

Australia has about as many major cities as California. There are so many major cities in the US that it is a miracle if 10 of them are nice cities.

West Philadelphia has beautiful areas and so does Chestnut Hill. South Philly is fine.

What is with all this negativity to Philadelphia? There are far more troubled, crime ridden and declining world and US cities in this forum which get a high amount of praise. Just because a city is losing population does not mean it is going down the tubes. Philadelphia's infrastructure was built for a city of 5 million and its downtown has the 3rd highest residential population in the US. what more can I say?

Found this...
"A commercial, educational, and cultural center, the city was once the second-largest in the British Empire[2] (after London), and the social and geographical center of the original 13 American colonies. During the 18th century, it eclipsed New York City in political and social importance, with Benjamin Franklin taking a large role in Philadelphia's early rise to prominence. It was in this city that some of the ideas, and subsequent actions, gave birth to the American Revolution and American Independence, making Philadelphia a centerpiece of early American history."

Last edited by philadweller; January 7th, 2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old January 8th, 2009, 06:05 AM   #68
Toronto10

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokistic View Post
But the rest of the city feels old, dirty and poorer. Except for a few pockets, like Manayunk. Other cities in the world did not experience such abandonment of their central cities as much as American cities did. But I am really glad that Philadelphia is getting some new attention lately though.

I agree with your overall premise.Admittedly Philadlephia is a shell of what it should be but theres more to Philly than Center City,Manayunk and the rest (dirty + poor your description).Despite its problems you are way too harsh in your criticism,

University City + West Philly is just outstanding(Cedar park,Spruce Hill,Powelton,Clark Park,Overbrook Farms,StJoes,City Line)CHOP,Drexel and U Penn have about $5 B dollars worth of construction ongoing in University City.

NW Philly ranges from excellent to as good as it gets in Chestnut Hill. (Chestnut Hill,Andorra,East Falls,Roxborough,Mount Airy,West Mount Airy,).

NE Philly has about 250,000 middle class people.

South Philly is still very solid especially (East of Broad) gives you a glimpse of what this city must of have been like in heydey with all the different ethnic european enclaves. Packer park down by the stadiums is fantastic area to live. Its amazingly well kept.

The riverwards are doing OK as well. Northern Liberties,Fishtown,Port richmond,Tacony those are solid working class neighborhoods.

I would break down Philadelphia as a 1/3 world class Center City-Chestnut Hill-University City-West Mount Airy-East Falls.

1/3 solid middle class -Most of the neighborhoods mentioned above.

1/3 hopeless/unsalvageable in our lifetimes.North Philly-SW Philly-far West Philly-
Toronto10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #69
Toronto10

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
"But I have to add to this. The wealthy people doesn't seem to care about the city of Philadelphia."

This is half true. It is the rich suburbanites from NJ, NY and PA and expats from NYC which have helped Center City flourish. The Main Liners pretty much stay out in the Main Line. Center City has plenty of rich folk that prefer the urban way of life and sneer at the King of Prussia Mall and srpawl. Detroit would be a better example of rich suburbanites that won't help their city. Philadelphia has a very high homeownership rate by the way.
The wealthy PA suburban counties of Philly are kind of in their own little world. South Jersey seems to have a much better bond with Philadlephia in comparison and yes alot of NYC transplants end up in Philadlephia both on the high end(Center City) and low end(N Philly).
Toronto10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #70
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3785

Great shots, especially Philadelphia that has a really nice historical center!

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:45 AM   #71
philadweller

thanks.
Old January 9th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #72
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3717

Isn't the new mayor of Philadelphia trying to create a regional cooperation?
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #73
timo9
11 YEARS HERE!

Likes (Received): 2078

Cool pics!
timo9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #74
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

nice, informative thread...more pics please.