daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Old January 16th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #41
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 1056

Browntown in Wilmington

xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 16th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #42
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Browntown is Wilmington's historically Polish neighborhood. The Polish initially settled in the East Side, but moved to Browntown when tanneries and morocco factories opened up in the late 1800s along the tracks for the Philadelphia, Wilmington, & Baltimore Railroad. Today, the neighborhood is losing its identity, as the first and second generation of Poles have died off or moved away. The neighborhood is now largely Black, with Hispanics, such as Puerto Ricans, now beginning to push even the Blacks out. Still, there are still many people of Polish descent living in the neighborhood and keeping the old culture alive.

The steeples of St. Hedwig's Roman Catholic Church stick out behind these rowhouses.

St. Hedwig's Roman Catholic Church was, and still is, the cultural center of the neighborhood. The church's steeples are currently undergoing renovation and rehabilitation, to celebrate 100 years of service to the community.

Kosciuszko Park, another fixture in Browntown.

Old January 16th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #43
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
I wonder if they derived as translations of old Native place names?
I believe that "kill" means "creek" in Dutch, and since Delaware was part of what the Dutch settled, that word can be found throughout Delaware (and other places, like New York and New Jersey). Where the "murder" came from is lost to history; some believe that it is a permutation of "mother". Indeed, a couple maps show the creek labelled as "Mother Kill". However, other variations of the name have existed and been recorded, so no one really knows.
Old January 18th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #44
HOME in D-ware
Proud Wilmingtonian

Likes (Received): 0

Hey Matt, I really like the layout of this thread. It combines your town-by-town threads with your Daily Delaware Photo thread.

I don't live in Browntown but I'm not all that far away. I pass through the neighborhood on the way to the Riverfront. The Maryland Avenue Sub Shop on the corner of Beech Street is another great Delaware family owned sandwich shop.

I always thought that the area you outlined in red was split into two neighborhoods. The area south of Maryland Avenue is Browntown and the area to the north is Hedgeville. Is Hedgeville west of Broom Street or north of Lancaster Avenue?
. . . and that blank stare will cost you a dime.
HOME in D-ware no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #45
drowningman666

Likes (Received): 53

it's cool to see that there are still some remains of polish culture out there in america
i'm very glad that you've shown polish neighborhood in Wilmington
Old January 19th, 2009, 03:30 AM   #46
flar
____

Likes (Received): 44

Nice that the old Mispillion Lighthouse was saved.

Browntown looks like it would have been a great neighbourhood in its heyday.
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #47
Somnifor
Chef beyond the wall

Likes (Received): 542

This thread rules. Delaware is very underappreciated. Keep up the good work.
Somnifor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #48
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOME in D-ware View Post
Hey Matt, I really like the layout of this thread. It combines your town-by-town threads with your Daily Delaware Photo thread.

I don't live in Browntown but I'm not all that far away. I pass through the neighborhood on the way to the Riverfront. The Maryland Avenue Sub Shop on the corner of Beech Street is another great Delaware family owned sandwich shop.

I always thought that the area you outlined in red was split into two neighborhoods. The area south of Maryland Avenue is Browntown and the area to the north is Hedgeville. Is Hedgeville west of Broom Street or north of Lancaster Avenue?
I think that top area is a little bit of both. It is Hedgeville, but it is also referred to as "Upper Browntown". I think that Hedgeville is the same as Forty Acres, like Forty Acres, which is losing its identity as young people move in to Trolley Square and label any area near the Square as part of the neighborhood, simply being in a Polish area makes it part of Browntown. Hedgeville is losing its identity as new people move into the area and brand the neighborhood out of convenience or for other reasons.

I am planning on doing a true Hedgeville neighborhood tour later on. In my opinion, it is most of that Upper Browntown area, plus a little bit north/west of Broom Street. I guess once you get to the top of the hill, you're in other neighborhoods (Canby Park and I think Bayard Square? Is this correct?). The Hegdeville map will overlap with the Browntown map, kind of like a map of Trolley Square would overlap with Forty Acres, but I wanted to recognize the Polish presence in the area and the connection between the two sections for this entry.
Old January 20th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #49
Liwwadden

Likes (Received): 22

Lovely photo's. Keep em coming!
Old January 20th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #50
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Time for a little break from Browntown to mention that Delawarean Joe Biden will assume the office of the Vice-President of the United States today. Biden is the first Delawarean to hold such a high office; previously, John M. Clayton held the highest office ever by a Delawarean, being Secretary of State under Zachary Taylor.

Biden's house is located near Greenville. While his house cannot be seen from the road, the guest house at the entrance to the property can be seen from the road.

John M. Clayton's house, Buena Vista, is located near Bear along U.S. Route 13. The house is now a conference center.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:38 PM   #51
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Here are a couple pictures from Kosciuszko Park. St. Hedwig's Chuch can be seen better from here, and Center City (downtown) is in the background.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:56 PM   #52
l'eau
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

nice neighborhood
l'eau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #53
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Here's another picture of the view from Kosciuszko Park:

Old January 28th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #54
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

One last picture from Kosciuszko Park:

Old January 28th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #55
HOME in D-ware
Proud Wilmingtonian

Likes (Received): 0

I love those pics of the St. Hedwig's looming over the neighborhood with the skyline in background. Do you have any other photos of the rock face you were standing on? The boulder cliff topped with those stone wall lookout pads makes the park unique. It also has a great view of the Riverfront, South Wilmington, New Castle, and the Delaware Memorial Bridge.
. . . and that blank stare will cost you a dime.
HOME in D-ware no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #56
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6173

Are there still a number of Episcopalian churches in that part of the East Coast?

"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you". Oscar Wilde
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #57
MDguy
Balto

Wilmington is candy - its like the east coast's forgotten urban beauty
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #58
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Are there still a number of Episcopalian churches in that part of the East Coast?
There is a good amount of Episcopal churches on the East Coast, including Delaware. I won't talk about Episcopalians in in other states, since I'm not familiar with them like I am my own. Episcopalians have a pretty large presence in Delaware. In Wilmington, one of the most prominent churches in the city is Trinity Episcopal Church. The surrounding Trinity Vicinity neighborhood was named after the church. The Episcopal cathedral is in Wilmington as well, at the corner of Concord Avenue & Market Street. The cathedral serves the Diocese of Delaware, which I assume is the entire state. There is another old Episcopal church out in the suburbs, along Old Capitol Trail, that looks pretty nice and serves people living near Kirkwood Highway. I know that there are other churches in this area, but I don't know too much about them right now.

Delaware is an extremely diverse place, religiously speaking, in my opinion. Catholic, Methodist, Presbyterian, Episcopalian, Baptist, and independent Black churches are all found on a relatively equal basis throughout the state. Obviously, denominations are somewhat concentrated in certain areas: Catholic churches are found mainly in the very northern part of the state, especially since a lot of Irish worked at the DuPont gunpowder mills; Black churches are found where many Blacks live, like Black neighborhoods or historically Free Black communities; Episcopal churches are in the very northern part of the state, where the wealthy lived and owned businesses; and so on. Methodism is one denomination that can be found fairly equally in any part of the state. Methodism in the United States and Western Hemisphere actually got its real start in Delaware at Barratt's Chapel (near Frederica), which is called "The Cradle of Methodism in America".

On top of Christianity, other religions do pretty well here. Hinduism is pretty big, since many Asian Indians emigrated here to work at DuPont, Hercules, AstraZeneca, and other pharmaceutical companies. As a result, the first Hindu temple in between New York City and Washington DC was built in Hockessin about 10 years ago. A second Hindu temple was built maybe 3 years ago. There is a Sikh temple in Elsmere. I'm not sure if there's any Islamic mosque or Buddhist temple or anything here, but I know that those religions are represented in the state as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy View Post
Wilmington is candy - its like the east coast's forgotten urban beauty
I would agree that Wilmington is somewhat forgotten, especially since it's halfway between Philadelphia and Baltimore, and halfway between New York City and Washington DC.
Old January 29th, 2009, 02:04 AM   #59
WA
DJ Michael

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Here's another picture of the view from Kosciuszko Park:

Great Pictures!! Is this picture recent? What is the crane on the right side for?
WA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:25 AM   #60
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA View Post
Great Pictures!! Is this picture recent? What is the crane on the right side for?
These pictures are a couple years old. That crane is for the Renaissance Center, at 4th & King Streets.

Tags
delaware