daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 16th, 2009, 06:06 AM   #81
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4272

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA View Post
Is it true that New Castle and Delaware City were founded to rival Philadelphia?
Delaware City was seen as a future potential rival to Philadelphia, since it was located where the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal met with the Delaware River. It was thought that with the meeting of these two waterways, shipping would congregate to the city. The canal was already outdated by railroads by the time it opened, though, so Delaware City never saw the comerce that it could've seen if it had been built earlier.

New Castle was never really a true rival of Philadelphia. It is true that it competed in the mid- and late 1700s with Philadelphia, along with Wilmington, Chester, and other Delaware River towns, but Philadelphia was the clear center of businesss on the Delaware River at the time; Philadelphia was actually rhe center of business in the nation for that time as well, since it was the colonial capital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlis View Post
Are there any old buildings from the New Sweden colony left in Delaware?
There is really nothing remaining of the official Swedish colony at Wilmington. A couple Swedish buildings do still exist today, and a couple buildings built by the Swedes living in the area (but ruled by the Dutch). The most notable building left is Old Swedes Church, which is actually the oldest continuously-operating church in the United States.

I'm going to detail Delaware's Swedish history one day in this thread, but I am still working on taking pictures of the places pertinent to Swedish history.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #82
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Forty Acres in Wilmington

Old March 17th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #83
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Forty Acres is Wilmington's historically Irish neighborhood. The neighborhood was developed in the mid-1860s when Joshua T. Heald expanded the streetcar lines of his Wilmington City Railway Company to Union Street. The area became known as "Forty Acres" because Heald had purchased 40 acres of land to divide into lots. The neighborhood also got its name because it was said that when the area was still farmland, one acre of land here could produce as much as forty acres could produce in another area.

Like many ethnic neighborhoods in Wilmington and around the country, the cultural center of the neighborhood was the local church. St. Ann's Roman Catholic CHurch, built in 1887, was the center of activity in Forty Acres. Other cultural centers in Forty Acres included Gallucio's Restaurant on Lovering Avenue and Angelo's Luncheonette on Scott Street.

Today, Forty Acres is losing its identity as new residents move into the area. Young people new to living in this part of the city refer to the neighborhood as "Trolley Square", which is the name of the adjacent bar district. Older residents insist on using the traditional name of the neighborhood, though, and struggle to keep the neighborhood's history alive.

Old March 18th, 2009, 06:05 AM   #84
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

Very nice photos. Really like what I see of Delaware, it's got a real nice vibe about it.

I see a lot of Irish flags, signs and Sweeney's Store here, is there a big Irish community round these parts? Or is this just all for St Patrick's Day?
Old March 18th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #85
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisian Girl View Post
Very nice photos. Really like what I see of Delaware, it's got a real nice vibe about it.

I see a lot of Irish flags, signs and Sweeney's Store here, is there a big Irish community round these parts? Or is this just all for St Patrick's Day?
There are a good amount of Irish descendents in Delaware, but Forty Acres is a historically Irish neighborhood. I decided to show it since it was St. Patrick's Day.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 03:41 AM   #86
WA
DJ Michael

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Delaware City was seen as a future potential rival to Philadelphia, since it was located where the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal met with the Delaware River. It was thought that with the meeting of these two waterways, shipping would congregate to the city. The canal was already outdated by railroads by the time it opened, though, so Delaware City never saw the comerce that it could've seen if it had been built earlier.

New Castle was never really a true rival of Philadelphia. It is true that it competed in the mid- and late 1700s with Philadelphia, along with Wilmington, Chester, and other Delaware River towns, but Philadelphia was the clear center of businesss on the Delaware River at the time; Philadelphia was actually rhe center of business in the nation for that time as well, since it was the colonial capital.

Oh ok thanks. Great pictures!
WA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:42 AM   #87
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

Quote:
There are a good amount of Irish descendents in Delaware, but Forty Acres is a historically Irish neighborhood. I decided to show it since it was St. Patrick's Day.
That's nice to know, thx for the info.

Really cool thread! Keep posting!
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:55 AM   #88
Howdy

Likes (Received): 1

Very nice state. Looks clean and well organised.
Howdy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:13 AM   #89
Inconfidente

Likes (Received): 15136

Love your thread! Sometimes I prefer towns than cities.
Inconfidente está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #90
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Thanks for the comments! I'm glad everyone likes this thread.
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #91
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

St. Patrick's Day is over, but since it is still March, I wanted to show some pictures of the countryside outside of Wilmington. Many Irish came to Delaware to work at some of the many mills located along the Brandywine River. These people had tough, dangerous jobs, and had little time off. They also lived fairly poorly.

It is tough to say if all of these houses were actually lived in by Irish immigrant families, but Irish mill workers definitely lived in some of these dwellings, and they certainly were members of St. Joesph on the Brandywine Roman Catholic Church, built specifically for the Irish Catholic workers of DuPont's Eleutherian Mills. Still, even if Irish families didn't live in all of these buildings, it is easy to pretend that you are at the Emerald Isle when driving around the back roads of the Brandywine Valley.

Old March 30th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #92
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12284

You can certainly see the Irish influence in that architecture. Wish we had more stone buildings here... they look so solid and permanent!
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #93
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
You can certainly see the Irish influence in that architecture. Wish we had more stone buildings here... they look so solid and permanent!
Ontario has a lot of stone buildings as well. Flar's threads should've shown you that!

I know that there are a lot of stone buildings in the Hamilton, Guelph, and Kitchener/Waterloo areas, and everything in between. There are also a decent amount of stone buildings in places like St. Catharines, as well.

I would say that Wilmington and the surrounding areas in northern Delaware are on par with the amount of stone buildings in Hamilton, Cambridge, etc. I haven't spent too much time in those areas, though (my travels are limited mainly to the Niagara Region), so I am kind of guessing with my comparison.
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #94
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Yesterday marked the anniversary of the Swedish landing. On March 29, 1638, the Kalmar Nyckel and Fogel Grip sailed onto the Christina River and chose their spot to start their colony. Their site, present-day Wilmington, was Sweden's only colony in the New World.

The rocks that the Swedes landed still exist, and can be seen in Fort Christina Park.

Old March 30th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #95
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12284

Quote:
Ontario has a lot of stone buildings as well. Flar's threads should've shown you that!

I know that there are a lot of stone buildings in the Hamilton, Guelph, and Kitchener/Waterloo areas, and everything in between. There are also a decent amount of stone buildings in places like St. Catharines, as well.

I would say that Wilmington and the surrounding areas in northern Delaware are on par with the amount of stone buildings in Hamilton, Cambridge, etc. I haven't spent too much time in those areas, though (my travels are limited mainly to the Niagara Region), so I am kind of guessing with my comparison.
Nay... sadly I was referring to "Queen City", where I live (aka Toronto). Most older buildings are brick. Hamilton and Southern Ontario do have some beauts... and Montreal or Quebec City have a plethora of them.
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:07 AM   #96
Evergrey
Buffalo's Worst Nightmare

Likes (Received): 4

I'm sorry I missed this thread until now. I haven't been to Delaware in 11 years... I should visit some day.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:22 AM   #97
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

NEGATIVED WILMINGTON

Some April Fool's Day fun for everyone to enjoy.

New Castle County Courthouse

Old Swedes Church

Logan House

Josephine Gardens

Brandywine Building

Wilmington Train Station

Casaer Rodney statue and DuPont Building

Grand Opera House

Old Town Hall

Midtown Brandywine neighborhood

Cool Spring neighborhood

Trinity Vicinity neighborhood

The Wilmington skyline, from Rockford Tower

Old April 8th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #98
Evergrey
Buffalo's Worst Nightmare

Likes (Received): 4

that's wacky! but really neat!
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #99
Johnny Blade
█ �� █

Likes (Received): 96

That's wicked, you just gave me some cool ideas by posting that.
Quote:

Old Swedes Church

Johnny Blade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #100
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
That's wicked, you just gave me some cool ideas by posting that.
I thought it was kind of cool to show buildings like that. It only works for pictures with lots of shadows or contrasting colors, though.

Thanks for bumping this thread. I haven't gotten about it, for any regulars in here; I've just been lazy.

Tags
delaware