daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > United Arab Emirates - دار زايـــد

United Arab Emirates - دار زايـــد The exciting new world in Dubai , Abu Dhabi and other Emirates

Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:04 AM   #1
da_funkmaster
User Registered

Likes (Received): 15

Where does Dubai get its water from?

Hi, this question is bothering me now for quite some time and I never read something concerning it.
In all those renders we see the future Dubai Cityparts with plenty of green spaces - actually there is no desert left at all, its like a city with the vegetation of central europe. And all the lawns have this integrated sprinkler system which waters them.

So where do they get their water form?

Collect rainwater?
Groundwater?
Desalt seawater?
Import water?

Regarding groundwater I saw a interesting report on a dairy factory in the Al-Kharj-Desert in Saudi Arabia. They use groundwater however it will be exhausted some day.

da_funkmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:08 AM   #2
BinDubai
بـــــ ـدبي ــــــــــن

Likes (Received): 0

water in this project is seawater , its just an extension from the Arabian gulf.
drinking water is mostly from desalination units

المناعير
BinDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:19 AM   #3
hemelboorder

Likes (Received): 11

desalination

The irrigation of all that landscaping uses a huge amount of fresh water. I believe that must all be produced in those energy-guzzling desalination plants like the ones you can see next to Dubai Marina.

An even more intrigueing question: where did the fresh water come from before there were desalination plants?
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:39 AM   #4
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 10

Groundwater obviously?
*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:56 AM   #5
hemelboorder

Likes (Received): 11

Groundwater is an obvious idea because there is plenty of it. But it will be way to salty to drink, so close to the sea!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:58 PM   #6
DUBAI
Under the Burj

Most of the water comes as a bi-product of producing electricity and aluminium,

hardly energy-guzzling
Old January 4th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #7
ameelioo

http://194.170.30.254/uaeagricent/wa...am/dams_en.stm
ameelioo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #8
BinDubai
بـــــ ـدبي ــــــــــن

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemelboorder View Post
Groundwater is an obvious idea because there is plenty of it. But it will be way to salty to drink, so close to the sea!
not true , in dubai al Aweer area was rich with underground fresh water and was used extensively starting in the late 70's till today.

also Abu hail area is rich in fresh water. but in dubai it is cheaper to get the desalinated water because its a 3 stage process.
starting from burning the fuel to heat the water to producing electricity and desalinate it.

i wish they start harvesting solar energy we fall in the best area when it comes to sun rays distribution and intensity HARVEST IT FOR GODS SAKE !

المناعير
BinDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #9
HateTorch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinDubai View Post
not true , in dubai al Aweer area was rich with underground fresh water and was used extensively starting in the late 70's till today.

also Abu hail area is rich in fresh water. but in dubai it is cheaper to get the desalinated water because its a 3 stage process.
starting from burning the fuel to heat the water to producing electricity and desalinate it.
--- snip ---
I envy the Middle East countries.
They are blessed with natural resources for survival, ie oil and water.
HateTorch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #10
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 2671

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemelboorder View Post
The irrigation of all that landscaping uses a huge amount of fresh water. I believe that must all be produced in those energy-guzzling desalination plants like the ones you can see next to Dubai Marina.
You can't be more WRONG!
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #11
ikops

Likes (Received): 793

About desalination plants...

Cogeneration is the process of using excess heat from power production to accomplish another task. In the sense of desalination, cogeneration is the production of potable water from seawater or brackish groundwater in an integrated, or "dual-purpose", facility in which a power plant is used as the source of energy for the desalination process. The facility’s energy production may be dedicated entirely to the production of potable water (a stand-alone facility), or excess energy may be produced and incorporated into the energy grid (a true cogeneration facility). There are various forms of cogeneration, and theoretically any form of energy production could be used. However, the majority of current and planned cogeneration desalination plants use either fossil fuels or nuclear power as their source of energy. Most plants are located in the Middle East or North Africa, due to their petroleum resources and subsidies. The advantage of dual-purpose facilities is that they can be more efficient in energy consumption, thus making desalination a more viable option for drinking water in areas of scarce water resources.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desalination_plant
ikops no está en línea   Reply With Quote