daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » completed | under construction | proposed | demolished

Old September 23rd, 2006, 03:52 PM   #21
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 1

It strikes me that the major problem will be that IF Brazil don't start building the new stadiums until they've already 'won' the 2014 finals bid, then they will be left with approx. 6 years to actually build the dozen stadiums required. Baring in mind how long it's taken to get Wembley up, I'd worry about one country (any country to be honest) trying to complete the construction of a dozen stadiums, all with over 40k seats, in that period of time.
Benjuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 24th, 2006, 03:38 AM   #22
Weebie

Likes (Received): 5

There is now way Brazil or South America will host the FIFA World Cup in 2014. Don't get me wrong i would love to have it there and visit brazil but there is no way that FIFA will have two of its showpiece events in a row hosted by 3rd world countries. Brazil will never build the infrastrucuture to host a World Cup. It will go to europe probably England or Spain.
Weebie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #23
daloso

Likes (Received): 239

Sorry to get into this FIFA conversation ,but actually as far as i know Brazil has plenty 40k's stadiums so,apologies for my ignorance:Two questions comes to mind
1.Wouldn't be better to remodel instead of build new ones??
2.What are the minimum FIFA requirements(for stadiums)to hold a WORLD CUP?
daloso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 08:55 PM   #24
daloso

I guess i would be great to host a world cup in AUSTRALIA.
Old September 24th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #25
daloso

Sorry it would be great(excuse me for the misspelling)
Old September 25th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #26
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by daloso
Sorry to get into this FIFA conversation ,but actually as far as i know Brazil has plenty 40k's stadiums so,apologies for my ignorance:Two questions comes to mind
1.Wouldn't be better to remodel instead of build new ones??
2.What are the minimum FIFA requirements(for stadiums)to hold a WORLD CUP?
Basic FIFA requirements for World Cup... 12 stadiums with 40k seats, no more than 2 per city. Brazilian stadia would struggle top be remodelled because of the rake of the stands (needs to be steeper for seats than for standing) and safety access (as per one of the posts above).
Old September 25th, 2006, 01:09 AM   #27
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by daloso
I guess i would be great to host a world cup in AUSTRALIA.
We haven't got the facilities either. 9 stadia max - 7 of them not ideally suited to football. Can't see anyone over here building 5 or 6 football stadiums with sufficient capacity as even the best supported clubs here only get average crowds of around 18-20k.
Old September 25th, 2006, 01:19 AM   #28
schmidt

Likes (Received): 45

C'mon, I don't see why FIFA would see problems in bringing the WC to Brazil as they've already put South Africa as hosts and Mexico twice. I think they trust us. And cmon, football is a South American and European thing, the last WC in South America was in 1978 in Argentina, I think by 2014 it will be much about time to have it back down here.
schmidt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #29
daloso

Well,i hope Brazil will be ready to host WC2014.
Old September 25th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #30
Weebie

The World Cup won't be in South America. Unfornuetly Brazil are going to be a victim of South Africas piss poor preparation and politics which will force FIFA to take it back to europe to improve the tournaments reputation after expected half empty stadiums at 2010 World Cup.
Old September 25th, 2006, 07:06 AM   #31
Harkeb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

keep your stupid ill informed comments to yourself.
Brazil deserves the World Cup, and so does Argentina. South Africa WILL stage the most spectacular world cup in 2010, and no doomsayers will stop it. The white West should stop their idiotic thinking that non-white countries cannot handle big events. Why would events in South Africa affect Brazil's chance of hosting a WC in 2014? Please explain how you came to that stupid conclusion? - your typical white man rationale. We won't need little white Australia or Europe to 'come to the rescue'. Australia has become way to arrogant, since staging the 2000 Olympics. Its a laugh to even suggest that they could hold a WC with such a small population who has no interest in soccer. They'd probably fill the stadiums with Kangaroos..pardon..socceroos. Your help is and will not be needed, thank you.

Last edited by Harkeb; September 25th, 2006 at 07:25 AM.
Harkeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 07:15 AM   #32
Iggui
Tercermundista de corazón

Likes (Received): 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebie
The World Cup won't be in South America. Unfornuetly Brazil are going to be a victim of South Africas piss poor preparation and politics which will force FIFA to take it back to europe to improve the tournaments reputation after expected half empty stadiums at 2010 World Cup.
what a crock! how can you even compare south africa to brazil when it comes to football, preparedness, or attendance. brazil with the surrounding south american countries themselves could more than fill the stadiums for a world cup without any europeans attending.

that said, even if brazil should stumble and not be awarded the 2014 world cup (or if fifa sees it fit to take it away from them after the fact) fifa has said in such a case the world cup will be awarded to another south american or north american country (ie, NOT europe). in such a case, the most prepared country would seem to be the USA, or perhaps mexico. the '94 world cup was a huge financial success and fifa would not turn down a chance to have the US host it again.

the idea had been floated earlier that chile and argentina could co-host the world cup (briefly encouraged by blatter, in a bid to keep brazil from being complacent about their candidacy) but this was before argentina's economic meltdown and both countries officially support brazil's candidacy. however, i read recently in an argentine newspaper that, with their improving economy, they are once again studying the possibility of bidding for the world cup (without chile).
Old September 26th, 2006, 01:21 AM   #33
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 125

I think the Brazil bid should be challenged by other candidates in South America so that they would up their game and not be complacent, i can see that the Brazilian preparations will follow similar doubts to that of South Africas. Although i hope both world cups to be a success.

However im getting the feeling that 2014 may not go to South America after all.

L O N D O N 2 0 1 2 O L Y M P I C G A M E S

Inspire A Generation
Its AlL gUUd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 02:19 AM   #34
Sparks

Likes (Received): 7

It would be real a surprise if it did go to South America in 2014. The last two world cups have raised the bar in terms of infrastructure and stadiums, everyone was world class. Brazil or Argentina have to be able to match or at least get very close to the quality of world cups we have recently seen and that is almost an impossible task for either of them to do. If England or Australia were to come in and bid, unless they are ruled out for their location they simply wouldn't lose to any South American country.
Old September 26th, 2006, 02:35 AM   #35
Weebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggui
what a crock! how can you even compare south africa to brazil when it comes to football, preparedness, or attendance. brazil with the surrounding south american countries themselves could more than fill the stadiums for a world cup without any europeans attending.

that said, even if brazil should stumble and not be awarded the 2014 world cup (or if fifa sees it fit to take it away from them after the fact) fifa has said in such a case the world cup will be awarded to another south american or north american country (ie, NOT europe). in such a case, the most prepared country would seem to be the USA, or perhaps mexico. the '94 world cup was a huge financial success and fifa would not turn down a chance to have the US host it again.

the idea had been floated earlier that chile and argentina could co-host the world cup (briefly encouraged by blatter, in a bid to keep brazil from being complacent about their candidacy) but this was before argentina's economic meltdown and both countries officially support brazil's candidacy. however, i read recently in an argentine newspaper that, with their improving economy, they are once again studying the possibility of bidding for the world cup (without chile).
FIFA didn't say that.

The South Africans on thsi forum can crap all they want about there world cup but FIFA right now don't share the same feelings as them and are concerned greatly.
Old September 26th, 2006, 04:52 AM   #36
Benjuk

Quote:
FIFA didn't say that.

The South Africans on thsi forum can crap all they want about there world cup but FIFA right now don't share the same feelings as them and are concerned greatly.
Who is your contact at FIFA? How come you seem to KNOW things which have not been publically stated?

FACT - FIFA have stated that the world cup should be played in circuits of three - Europe and South America (as the traditional homes of football), then one of the other federations (in 2010 - Africa). Meaning the sequence will be something like...

2010 Africa (South Africa )
2014 South America (Brazil?)
2018 Europe (England or Spain)
2022 Asia/Africa/North America
2026 South America
2030 Europe
Etc.

That said, money obsessed FIFA were talking about going to every two years during the 2002 finals... So who knows what might happen.
Old September 26th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #37
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 125

South Ameica would not be able to host the world cup as often as Europe, so once again fifa's "circuit of three" is a sham.

L O N D O N 2 0 1 2 O L Y M P I C G A M E S

Inspire A Generation
Its AlL gUUd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #38
matherto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk
It strikes me that the major problem will be that IF Brazil don't start building the new stadiums until they've already 'won' the 2014 finals bid, then they will be left with approx. 6 years to actually build the dozen stadiums required. Baring in mind how long it's taken to get Wembley up, I'd worry about one country (any country to be honest) trying to complete the construction of a dozen stadiums, all with over 40k seats, in that period of time.
bear in mind that Japan and South Korea built the majority of their stadiums pretty quickly
matherto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 09:05 PM   #39
Iggui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd
South Ameica would not be able to host the world cup as often as Europe, so once again fifa's "circuit of three" is a sham.
the term "south america" should be understood to mean "the americas", meaning north and south america. historically, the world cup has always alternated between europe and the americas, both north (mexico, usa) and south (uruguay, argentina, brazil, chile, colombia--changed to mexico).

i think you are correct in that south america by itself could not host the cup that often, but the hemisphere itself could easily continue to host the world cup as it had done in the past.

that said, i also agree that fifa's rotating system is a sham.
Old September 26th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #40
Iggui

Quote:
FIFA didn't say that.

Toughguy, this is what Joseph Blatter said on April 13, 2006, in reference to Brazil hosting the 2014 World Cup, in a widely circulated news article. There were threads relating to this article here on SSC:

"I am not a prophet. But if the conditions are not met, the World Cup will probably be moved to North America,".
source: http://english.people.com.cn/200604/...14_258379.html

Tags
amazon, manaus, projetos, rio de janeiro, world cup, world cup 2014