SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Whats your fav skyscrapers on Manhattan?

14K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  Seattlelife 
#1 ·
My favs would have to be:

Trump Tower - 5th avenue
Trump World Tower - east side of manhattan, near midtown
Sony Building - Near Trump Tower

#8 ·
haha, Trump Trumpitty Trump Trump Trump.

Do you speak like the Smurfs, substituting Trump's name for words? :D

There are so many buildings to love in New York City.
But the Chrysler Building is right there on top of the list.
Then there are others like Metlife, Citigroup, Woolworth, so on.

As much as I like the World Trump Center (near the UN), it would be hard for me to put any of the Trump towers on top of a favorite nyc skyscraper

#12 ·
don't get me wrong, he has some good ones, like the magnificent 40 wall street (although it isn't technically a real "trump"), but the competition in New York is just too immense, while the bulk of the Trump buildings (and let's not forget for every great Trump World Tower, he has 10 boring Trump Palace fillers) aren't up to par.

#19 ·
My favourite skyscraper in New York is The Chrysler Building. Wonderful old school building with great interiors. Hard to believe its age when u study it in detail. Next would be Empire State Building, I suppose....this is also a great old building, but I feel it just doesn't have the appeal or grand style of the Chrysler Building.

Not skyscrapers, but some of my other favourite buildings in NY are the wonderful Dakota Building and the Plaza Hotel. These buildings totally characterize NYC for me. The architecture is second to none and they are simply aesthetically so good. :)

#20 ·
I'm surprised that no one has yet to mention the Time Warner Building. It is honestly, my favourite building on earth. I love the fact that, not only is the design fantastic, but it has numerous uses aswell, including residential, which is great.

At the other extreme, I also love really thin buildings like 785 8th street, which is almost complete.

#21 ·
Yeah I do like 785 8th Avenue as well but the only drawback with that one is the fact that the north side of the building is really half-assed. I'm not sure but I hope there is an available lot next to it that can put up another thin tower to obscure it. Time Warner is fantastic I love it too.

As for my favorite highrises and skyscrapers:

(in no order)

20 Exchange-80 Pine-Trump World Tower-Lefcourt Colonial- Seagrams-Waldorf=Astoria- Chrysler-Hearst Tower-Woolworth building-Empire State-Solow building-Hampshire House-Manhattan Municipal Building-Citicorp-Bloomberg and lastly the Sherry Netherlander Hotel. I'll find some pictures to add to this post for some of those readers who have no idea what I am talking about.

#24 ·
Woolworth
ESB
Citybank

#34 ·
40 wall and 80 pine are uniformly depressing? 20 Exchange is uniformally depressing.. someone smack me I didn't know this. I thought having the the second tallest concentration of art deco skyscrapers in the world was a good thing. Oh well.

#42 ·
I'm glad the Hearst Towers is getting mentions. It's been one of my favorites since I first heard about it.

Just like everyone else I also like the Empire State, Chrysler, Woolworth, Rockefeller, and Met Life. There aren't many places on Earth, if any, for a building the size of Met Life to hide and Mid Town is it.

I live and work in BK so I don't get into the city enough to admire other towers. I really need to fix that.

I can't say I'm too fond of the Bank Of America Tower. I know it's one of the tallest in Mid Town (with the spire) but I feel like it sort of hides its height if that makes sense. You wouldn't know it was one of the tallest by looking at it. It's a cool building but only average for NYC imo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.