daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #21
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10983

They seem to have a Boston Pizza too. If anything, Yellowknife is going to boom over the next 50 years. It wouldn't surprise me to see the population go 10 fold.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; January 12th, 2009 at 12:49 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #22
Clay_Rock

Likes (Received): 2

Great pictures of Yellowknife! Thanks for sharing them with us!
Clay_Rock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 01:09 AM   #23
eastadl

Likes (Received): 346

I think I would also like to visit, caus I can't comprehend what even -20 feels like let alone -40. Wow. What a place.
On the reverse note, my city is expecting to hit +41 tomorrow, the hottest day for summer so far.
eastadl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #24
CrazyCanuck
MOD SQUAD

Likes (Received): 28

Crazy photos. Not many Canadians even would live there.

When I backpacked through Europe an Aussie told me that she wanted to spend a Christmas in Canada. I immediately asked why cause I couldn't understand. She said that she wanted to experience a cold Christmas, a real Christmas.
CrazyCanuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #25
hellospank25
Proud warmonger

Likes (Received): 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt View Post
Thank god I like both cold and heat. But to be honest -42 looks freaking scary

I was amazed to see that a city with no more than 20.000 inhabitants has even buildings and KFC!
They also have Mc Donalds, Pizza Hut, Domino Pizza
hellospank25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #26
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
Crazy photos. Not many Canadians even would live there.

When I backpacked through Europe an Aussie told me that she wanted to spend a Christmas in Canada. I immediately asked why cause I couldn't understand. She said that she wanted to experience a cold Christmas, a real Christmas.
I'm really surprised that people are puzzled that someone would want to go somewhere cold. It's human nature to be curious. When I was a boy in London, UK, I was so excited to go to Finland in the winter. It would be my first time seeing real snow, a real forest, and people driving on the other side of the road.

Likewise, now I want to go to the desert because it's foreign to me. I live in Canada now, but I've still never been to the Arctic, but would jump at the chance to go to the Yukon, Nunavut, or NWT in January. Eat some fresh Arctic char, musk ox, etc. Experience the Aurora Borealis, mingle with the Innuit, etc.

I'm more puzzled by the people who need to ask, 'why would you go there?' How bizarre to not know why!

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old January 12th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #27
Mishevy
Smelly cat...

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Winter is a magical time that I've come to appreciate. Not only can it be stunningly pretty, but the cycle we go through each year creates a healthy ecosystem free of many of the diseases and infestations that hot regions of the world are afflicted with. The change of seasons is refreshing and breaks up the monotony of endless days of heat and humidity.
Well cold certainly prevents all the big, hairy and freaky insects and spiders of living there... that's a good side of it, for sure .
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #28
isaidso
the new republic

So, when you were in the sub-Arctic, you didn't like the other aspects? Or are you talking about something you haven't experienced? You also realize that new experiences demand that one give it a fair shake. If you go wanting to hate it, you will. If you go looking for adventure, and looking to learn or appreciate something new, you will.

Old January 14th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #29
Luis80

Likes (Received): 159

interesting thread....

Im in Winnipeg right now and its -34. I dont think i would be brave enough to go any further north lol. Nice pics!
Luis80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #30
plcmat

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
They seem to have a Boston Pizza too. If anything, Yellowknife is going to boom over the next 50 years. It wouldn't surprise me to see the population go 10 fold.
I don't get the whole Boston Pizza thing. I live in Boston and we are not known for pizza, in fact much of the local pizza is pretty lousy.

In any case, it is supposed to be 0-10F tomorrow and I have been complaining about that - this thread puts that in perspective! Don't think I had ever seen pics of Yellowknife before - great job.
plcmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 02:23 AM   #31
Looking/Up

Likes (Received): 643

Quote:
Originally Posted by plcmat View Post
I don't get the whole Boston Pizza thing. I live in Boston and we are not known for pizza, in fact much of the local pizza is pretty lousy.
I don't get the name of the company either, especially considering that Boston Pizza is a Canadian company. Lots of Canadian based restaurants use American cities as names though, such as New York Fries, and Montana's.
Looking/Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:51 AM   #32
hellospank25
Proud warmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
So there is an Old Town and Downtown in Yellowknife? I guess it makes sense that there is a Downtown, with the skyscrapers and commercial buildings, but I wouldn't have guessed that such a small town would have distinct residential neighborhoods.
Yeah the old town is near the river and there are lots of nice expensive houses . Downtown can be quite rough in summer (not in winter as it s too cold) there is one street in particular (50th st) which one local described to me as horrendous as there are lots of drunken fights outside a certain bar.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:33 AM   #33
hellospank25
Proud warmonger

I just found the hour by hour weather of when i was there

[IMG]http://i44.************/2ibgvv5.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:56 AM   #34
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by plcmat View Post
Boston Pizza is a Canadian eatery, but has nothing to do with Boston food. The founder of the chain was a fan of the Boston Bruins hockey team, so he named his pizza chain in honour of his cherished team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking/Up View Post
I don't get the name of the company either, especially considering that Boston Pizza is a Canadian company. Lots of Canadian based restaurants use American cities as names though, such as New York Fries, and Montana's.
I find that part really bizarre as well. It's almost like they have a knee jerk revulsion of their own country. Why not PEI Fries? They're the ones famous for their spuds in this country. As far as steak goes, that would be Alberta, not Montana. It's not just restaurants either. Striploin becomes New York striploin, cheesecake becomes New York cheesecake, Nova Scotia seafood chowder becomes New England seafood chowder.

You'll never here about a BC weight loss system or a Wasaga Beach diet, but you'll certainly buy if it's an LA weight loss system, or a South Beach diet. It's really irritating.

Last edited by isaidso; January 22nd, 2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #35
alitezar
Persian 44

Likes (Received): 5593

OMG excellent thread. Thanks for lovely pix of this unique place. I liked the airport and the polar bears so much too
alitezar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #36
hellospank25
Proud warmonger

Forgot to post this pic of me at -42C

[IMG]http://i42.************/mrwl1z.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 15th, 2009, 05:33 AM   #37
Quall

Likes (Received): 462

Quote:
As far as steak goes, that would be Alberta, not Montana.
Alberta's Cookhouse... that actually sounds pretty legit.
Quall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 05:46 AM   #38
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Cte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

Awesome photos! Looks pretty brutal out there!

Old March 15th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #39
CanadianCentaur
Briareos Hecatonchires

Likes (Received): 25

Cool pics (no pun intended here!)! I've been up to Yellowknife once - in July, 2003. It was pretty warm at the time, about 24-26C.

My sister and a family friend of mine, however, go up there on an almost regular basis as a part of their job as chartered accountants working for the federal government. In fact, my sister's going up there tomorrow for a few days.
Old March 15th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #40
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 429

I think the pics say a lot more and give the viewer the perception of the intense cold with the ice fog. Really cool pictures, thanks for sharing. Was in Quebec in February and experienced down to -28 (-36 with wind-chill) and that was pretty bone chilling, but I can handle it somewhat well, but -42 OMG!!! An Aussie in that temperature, sounds unnatural!

Nah, just pot calling the kettle black. The hottest it ever gets in Cape Town is about +35 and the coldest about +2, so major extremes don't really feature. But, experiencing the sub-Arctic sounds cool! Would also love to see Antarctica someday, just bloody expensive!
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote