daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #1
ELLIN
MOLON LAVE

Likes (Received): 46

ATHENS | National Library @ National Opera of Greece - Cultural Park | U/C

Mission
http://snfcc.snf.org/Default.aspx?ID=1 Infos on this site....
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (SNFCC) project includes funding for the planning, construction and outfitting of three major national projects located at the Athens Faliron Delta, in an area covering approximately 200,000 square meters. The Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center will be created for the use of the general public by adopting state-of-the art international standards for design, function, and accessibility, particularly with respect to people with special needs.
The new building of the National Library of Greece will be a state-of-the-art facility that will fulfill the traditional mission of the National Library: to collect and preserve the country’s heritage for the generations to come. The new library’s mission will broaden in scope and will assume a dual role; it will continue to be a study and research center for students and academics, but it will also offer a plethora of educational and cultural programming to children and adults based on similar projects that have been successfully implemented in public libraries across Greece and abroad.
The new building of the Greek National Opera will be a state-of-the-art opera house outfitted with modern technological equipment that will fulfill all of the conditions and specifications needed to accommodate artistically demanding, internationally-produced performances. The new building will allow the Greek National Opera to have a true world-class opera and ballet theater and to occupy the first custom-designed home of its own in its history.
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation Educational and Cultural Park will provide a vital, much-needed, open green space in the densely-populated city of Athens. The park will host various cultural and educational programs and activities and will complement the facilities of the National Library of Greece and the Greek National Opera.
Design Architect
Renzo Piano: When actions speak louder than words

Internationally acclaimed architect Renzo Piano embarked on a career creating a history of landmarks after graduating from the School of Architecture of the Milan Polytechnic in 1964. He has produced custom-designed cutting-edge establishments around the world ever since.

Piano’s first assignment was to develop the Centre Georges Pompidou (1977) in Paris, a project undertaken jointly with Richard Rogers. Soon afterwards, in 1981, Piano established the Renzo Piano Building Workshop (www.rpbw.com), currently headquartered in Genoa, Paris and New York and staffed with over 100 experts from the fields of architecture and engineering. Since its establishment, the RPBW has developed some of Renzo Piano’s most noteworthy, world-renowned projects, including:

The Kansai International Airport Terminal (1994), an awe-inspiring wave–shaped landing and take-off pier extending into the sea;
The light-washed Beyeler Foundation Museum (1997), in Riehen, Switzerland, inspirational with its clear lines, embrace of the environment and elegant simplicity;
The Jean-Marie Tjibaou Cultural Center (1998) in New Caledonia, a breathtaking set of ten pavilions inspired by local Κanak tradition;
The revival of an elderly and abandoned Potsdamer Platz (2000);
The Niccol Paganini Auditorium (2001) in Parma, a glass music box that appears industrial yet is beautifully integrated into the natural environment;
The Parco della Musica Auditorium (2002) in Rome, depicting the union of music, urban landscape and Catholic-inspired tradition.
Piano is commonly recognized as "Ivy League" among his colleagues, having imposed his art, pioneering vision and Mediterranean temperament on a range of challenges. His breathtaking commissions have earned him an array of distinctions, including the Royal Medal for Architecture (1989); the Kyoto Prize (1990); his proclamation as Goodwill Ambassador of UNESCO for Architecture (1994); the Pritzker Architecture Prize (1998); the Medaille D’Or by the International Union of Architects (2002); and the Gold Medal by the American Institute of Architects (2008).
His most recent projects, including the New York Times’ newly-established headquarters in New York City (2008) and the California Academy of Sciences’ sustainability-oriented compound (2008), are indisputable proof that Piano’s art matures, but his gaze remains adolescent and uncompromising.
Piano’s family ties with the Mediterranean have characterized his art, distinguishing him from other architects in his league. His understanding of the region’s landscape, of natural light’s multiple uses, and of the need to accommodate construction in a densely-built urban environment are all unique characteristics of Renzo Piano’s art.
His preference for materials, such as glass, wood and steel; his use of zenithal light; his commitment to transparent buildings and the integration of linear shapes in the surrounding environment; the introduction of water elements in his designs; and his continuous efforts on behalf of "green" development – all have earned Piano appreciation from his clients and from everyone who enjoys his art, both up close and from a distance.
Renzo Piano may be architecture’s "crème de la crème," yet at the same time he is a people’s architect, destined to design establishments that benefit quality of life for all.

The Location

The Kallithea area will be the site of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (SNFCC). Following is a history of this region, which today is one of the most inhabited and vibrant in Greece.

We know from historians that Kallithea was inhabited in the fourth century B.C. and that its residents were involved in commercial shipping. During the Greek War of Independence, the area became a battlefield where George Karaiskakis, a leading figure of the war, was killed. In 1884 plans for the establishment of the city of Kallithea were officially approved. During the first modern Olympic Games, which took place in 1896 in Athens, Kallithea served as the venue for archery. It was primarily a resort area prior to 1922, when 25,000 refugees from Asia Minor settled there following the population exchange between Greece and Turkey. Kallithea became separate from the Municipality of Athens in 1925, when it became an autonomous community. Eight years later, in 1933, Kallithea became a municipality.

Kallithea is the eighth largest municipality in Greece. It covers an area of 4,500,000 square meters and is the fourth largest municipality in the greater Athens metropolitan area, following Athens, Piraeus, and Peristeri. The center of Kallithea lies at a distance of 3 km to the south of the Athens city center (Syntagma Square) and 3 km to the northeast of the Piraeus city center (Korai square). Around Kallithea there are three major municipalities: Palaio Faliro, Nea Smyrni, and Moschato. Today the residential population of Kallithea is 220,000.

The 2004 Athens Olympic Games facilitated Kallithea’s urban development. The state invested heavily in the infrastructure by building the Olympic Center of Beach Volleyball (123,000 square meters, 10,000 seats), and the Sports Pavilion (81,000 square meters, 8,000 seats). These structures are complemented by the Esplanade, which was developed as a support center for the Olympic Games.

The Faliron Horse Race Track opened in 1925 at the junction of Syngrou and Poseidonos Avenues. Prior to construction of the track, the area was swampy and uninhabited. It belonged to the Greek State, which signed a contract in 1923 with prominent Greek entrepreneurs to establish the first horse race track in Greece. The facility included a circular horse race track of 1,700 meters, a second circular horse training track of 1,500 meters, three areas for seated spectators and visitor stands, and a sufficient number of horse boxes in the area of the track. When betting was introduced, at least 250 cashiers served the audience. The Faliron Horse Race Track initially operated as a private company and became public after 1968.

In 2003 the race track moved to new facilities in the town of Markopoulo (Attiki), some 27 km from Athens. The move opened up 220,000 square meters of space, a large plot in a city the size of Athens. Plans are in place for a beach directly across from the old Horse Race Track to become a recreation area for cultural and athletic events. These plans, and the general renewal of the municipality as result of the Olympic Games, make Kallithea an ideal region for the development of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center.
At 24 of January at 17:00 Renzo Piano will anounce his final plans for this huge project of the National Library , National Opera and Cultural park of Greece....
"I have been inspired from the light and the winds of Greece, my project will be a state of the art, enviromental friendly and will represent the new values of the world architecture"...We will keep you update for the final plans of this gigantic project on the beach coasts of Athens

geometarkv, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by ELLIN; January 22nd, 2009 at 01:36 AM.
ELLIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #2
somataki

Likes (Received): 0

I can't wait to see his plans for the Opera! What a challenge for a huge architect to design such important brand new modern landmarks for such an historic city like Athens!
somataki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #3
ELLIN
MOLON LAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by somataki View Post
I can't wait to see his plans for the Opera! What a challenge for a huge architect to design such important brand new modern landmarks for such an historic city like Athens!
I will be at Megaron plus at 24 of January for sure....
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

I too cannot wait to see the final plans however I fear we will all be let down with this. Please just pray that I am wrong on this though.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #5
ELLIN
MOLON LAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorgio View Post
I too cannot wait to see the final plans however I fear we will all be let down with this. Please just pray that I am wrong on this though.
Someone doesnt like Renzo Piano...i think..cause until now most of his projects are lovely in my opinion..and as newest they are better...we will see...the positive is that a New Opera and Library in a fab locaon by the sea of Athens would be designed by one of the most famousarchitects worldwide..
Old January 14th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #6
Giorgio

I love Renzo and his works do not get me wrong, I just hope we see something amazing in Athens which I am sure we will. I am just nervous I guess!
Old January 14th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #7
systema magicum

Likes (Received): 7578

Patience is needed…and optimism!!!
24th of January is going to be a great day for Athens!!!
systema magicum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #8
ELLIN
MOLON LAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by systema magicum View Post
Patience is needed…and optimism!!!
24th of January is going to be a great day for Athens!!!
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #9
systema magicum

The Stavros Niarchos Foundation announces the presentation of the concept design of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (SNFCC) by the architect Renzo Piano (www.rpbw.com), to be held on 24 January at 17.00, at the Athens Concert Hall (Friends of the Music, hall) under the auspices of Megaron Plus.
http://www.snf.org/Default.aspx?ID=3...45&newsID=7185
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:44 PM   #10
systema magicum

Renzo Piano's Environmentally Progressive Design Concept for The Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (SNFCC)
Date 01/09/2009
http://www.snf.org/Default.aspx?ID=3...45&newsID=7185

Renzo Piano

The Board of Directors of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation and the Renzo Piano Building Workshop (www.rpbw.com), a world-renowned architectural firm, will reveal the design concept for the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (SNFCC), comprising the Stavros Niarchos Park and buildings for the National Library of Greece and the Greek National Opera.

The SNFCC, the first public-private endeavor of its kind within the Greek State, will create a new urban icon to enable both Greek citizens and global visitors to experience art, education and green space. In its creation of the SNFCC and its collaboration with Renzo Piano, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation was inspired by its strong ties to Greece, its enduring mission of enriching the lives of citizens from around the world, and its commitment to preserving the natural environment.

The presentation of the concept design of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (SNFCC) by the architect Renzo Piano , will be held on 24 January at 17.00, at the Athens Concert Hall (Friends of the Music, hall) with the cooperation of Megaron Plus.

The presentation will be broadcast live over the internet. Please click here to see it.

http://www.snf.org/Default.aspx?ID=410
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:01 PM   #11
somataki

Likes (Received): 0

Only a few hours left to see the new landmark of Athens!
somataki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #12
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 883

yeah yeah i ll be there bebe!!
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #13
systema magicum

The first image from the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center.

The presentation of the concept design of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (SNFCC) by the architect Renzo Piano , will be held on 24 January at 17.00, at the Athens Concert Hall (Friends of the Music, hall) with the cooperation of Megaron Plus. [more]

The presentation will be broadcast live over the internet. Please click here to see it live.
http://www.snf.org/Default.aspx?ID=410
Old January 24th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #14
savas
head up funny boy

Likes (Received): 413

Now live from Athens Megaron

Last edited by savas; January 24th, 2009 at 05:23 PM.
savas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #15
systema magicum

A new Landmark for the city, a new Icon For Athens.

Images from the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center in Athens
Architect: Renzo Piano.

Last edited by systema magicum; January 24th, 2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #16
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

Renderings and photos of the project and the site which will be built.

[IMG]http://s5.************/33dli75.jpg[/IMG]

Cost: 450 millions Euros (584 millions Dollars)

www.arishellas.com
www.snf.org
http://rpbw.r.ui-pro.com
www.google.com

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #17
Giorgio

I like the idea of the canal but I am not sure whether I am happy with the design. The concept is very correct IMO and I do not dare question Mr. Piano's decisions however I think that Athens needs more flamboyant architecture, something eye-catching like the proposal for the Hellenic World Foundation.
Old January 24th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #18
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

If i heard right it will be 30 meters tall with glass surfaces. For sure will be eye-catching. Especially i like how the structure is connected with earth and sea. Anyway lets wait for the final plans to have a complete view of the project.

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #19
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 883

its amazing project! i was very happy for hearing Renzo Piano talking about it!
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #20
Arxitektonas
Architect Engineer

Likes (Received): 48

Guys I was there and I must say, as a student of architecture, that this building has amazed me. It's beyond my wildest expectations. Monumantal, ecological, bioclimatic, it will surely be a jewel for the city. Trust me on this.
Arxitektonas no está en línea   Reply With Quote