daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #21
hrvat
Get Real

Likes (Received): 0

Rijeka City Library

"Biblioteca civica" i.e Town Public Library of Rijeka has been founded in 1626. Its bases are represented by the library of the Jesuits Collegium in Rijeka (Collegii Soc. Jesu Fluminensis), of their Gymnasium and also there in 1633. founded institute of higher education. In 1780 that library has been enriched by the books from the library of the Nautical Academy in Triest, which had just been closed, and later on with the library donated by rich patrician Rijeka' s families, de Benzoni and de Marotti. This now enlarged library was opened in 1782 to the students (Library of the Gymnasium), and to the public (Town Public Library), becoming the first public library of Rijeka. Since the year 1840 the library has been receiving legal deposit of all published matters in Rijeka. In 1881 the library is separated from the library of the Croatian gymnasium, which is moved later to Sušak (east part of Rijeka). Further, The library was enriched by numerous books donation from several Rijeka's families (Gelletich, de Ricci, de Horhy, Bedini, etc.) and in 1881 again opened to the public under the name "Biblioteca civica". Under this name has been in function until the year 1948, when the Rijeka Library of Science has been founded, with its main holdings being represented by those of the "Biblioteca civica". In 1912 has been founded the "Fluminensia" collection, the special collection of printed matters relating to town of Rijeka. In the period between the two world wars the library is still expanded by printings in German and Hungarian coming almost from the libraries of "K.u.K. Marine Akademie" and "Magyar Királyi Kereskedelmi Akadémia" (Hungarian Royal Trade Academy). Today, the library is the special collection consisting of some 37.000 items between monographs, periodicals and other printed matters. There are also 11 incunables. This library is also valuable part of the Croatian cultural heritage and the part of the European cultural wealth, a bridge of cooperation and togetherness linking numerous neighbouring peoples and cultures.

New library building

Rijeka City Library has been working in inappropriate buildings for years, with central departments scattered around the city center. After almost a decade of lobbying for a new library building, Rijeka City authorities finally recognized the need for a new building

construction will start by the end of 2008.

ZAGREB - Projects & Construction

I'm cute? No shit.
Like I care!
hrvat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #22
hrvat
Get Real

Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art Rijeka

New Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art Rijeka is going to be built in old Rikard Bencic facility. this facility first was a sugar rafinery, then cigarette factory and finaly factory of engine parts. iIt is protected monument of culture an industrial architecture.

I'm cute? No shit.
Like I care!
Old January 11th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #23
hrvat
Get Real

Rijeka West Trade Centre

Croatia's no 3 city has a number of big projects happening.

The current biggest project which is going through final approval stages is the Rijeka West Shopping / Office / Hotel project.

This is on top of the vast shopping centre and office complex of "Rijeka World Trade Centre" now under construction by Italian Property Developers "Policentro".

I'm cute? No shit.
Like I care!
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #24
hrvat
Get Real

'Superator' project Agatic, Intelligent apartments

http://www.superator.hr/

I'm cute? No shit.
Like I care!
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #25
hrvat
Get Real

Inaugurated Pastoral Episcopate Centre "The Hall of Pope John Paul II"

Rijeka, 6 June 2008
Pastoral centre "The Hall of Pope John Paul II" has been inaugurated within the sanctuary of Trsat on the occasion of the celebration of the 5th anniversary of John Paul II's visit to Rijeka. The hall, which construction was also supported by the City of Rijeka, was sanctified by Josip Bozanić, archbishop of Zagreb and cardinal, and the inauguration of the hall was attended by numerous citizens.

On the occasion of his visit, the late pope sanctified the foundation stone of the future pastoral centre which afterwards was laid in the location of a former industrial building. At this place the hall has been constructed, where a large room with 300 seats occupies the prominent position. Besides the room, the building includes a pastoral library, and rooms for the work of the Franciscan Profane Order and rooms for a choir and a smaller room called "The dais of Pope John Paul II".

The inauguration of the pastoral centre and the solemn mass represented the central celebration of the Days of John Paul II at Trsat. The pastoral centre was sanctified by cardinal Bozanić in the presence of archbishop of Rijeka and metropolitan, Ivan Devčić and apostolic nuncio to the Republic of Croatia, Mario Roberto Cassari. Sanctifying the hall, cardinal Bozanić pointed out that the construction of the hall was in remembrance of John Paul II's visit to Rijeka, whereby committing us that the evangelic spirit be felt in the space of the new pastoral centre and Christ's truth and the mystery of his love be promoted.

Further to bishops, the last night's inauguration was attended by many sponsors who have assisted in its construction.

I'm cute? No shit.
Like I care!
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #26
hrvat
Get Real

New central building of main city cemetery on Drenova

I'm cute? No shit.
Like I care!
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #27
hrvat
Get Real

Mosque and Islamic center

Exclusive: Džamonja to build the Rijeka Mosque
'The Rijeka Mosque to resemble a giant sculpture'

After Nacional revealed that the winning submission for the Rijeka Islamic Center was a plagiarism, the competition was nullified, and after much consideration, it has been decided that the Rijeka Mosque will be built on the concept of sculptor Dušan Džamonja

The Mosque in Rijeka is to be built according to the idea of sculptor Dušan Džamonja. With this project, Džamonja will present his great love for architecture and will be presented as the designer. To date, he has hidden this curiosity from the public, and as such, only his closest friends are aware that he has actually been dealing with architectural design for years, and has designed museums, galleries and mosques. In addition to his many sculptures, drawings and sketches, Džamonja today has a collection of over 60 architectural designs which he has modeled. The public will soon be able to see for itself just how interesting they are at an upcoming exhibition in the Museum of Architecture to be held in February. To make things even more interesting, the Rijeka Islamic Center will be the first after the Zagreb center to be built in Croatia.

Best Design Rejected

'I don't feel guilty about winning this project instead of young architects accused of plagiarism'The decision made to build the center on Džamonja’s model ends the rather unpleasant story which began at the beginning of last year, when it was discovered that the winning design for the center was in fact an act of plagiarism. However, Džamonja’s project almost was not realized. The decision to accept his project was mostly on hold because the people of Rijeka were dissatisfied with the location of the center. In truth, the background behind the story was a case of racial intolerance, as it turned out the people of Rijeka did not want a mosque anywhere in their town. Despite this, there are already rumors that the construction of the Rijeka mosque will be a great attraction.

Considering that sculptor Dušan Džamonja has been working well with Rijeka for years, they invited him to make a submission on the Rijeka Islamic Center. Džamonja accepted the invitation with delight, and he selected architects Vučinović and Vlahović from the architectural design company ‘SDB’, who had made the architectural-urban project. Džamonja stressed that they had created an excellent internal design to the project, creating a pleasant ambient to the complex. “We took Džamonja’s model sculpture of the mosque and began thinking about a prayer, education and housing areas,” said the architect who in his 30 year career has already realized some 300 projects, from the Maksimir Tennis Center and many urban and family homes and villas to the interior and housing center in Sveta Nedjelja, and the underground parking garage on Langov Trg which is currently undergoing construction.

However, their project design for the Rijeka Islamic Center was not submitted on time, it was not entered into the official competition. That is, Džamonja and team sent in their proposal on the final day of the competition, believing that the post-mark on the package would be valid, as in the case with the majority of competitions. However, that was not the case, despite the fact that the Regulations of the Croatian Architects’ Association permit such a possibility. The organizers of the competition already sent the proposals to the panel the following day, and as such could not consider projects sent by mail. As the architects said, their proposal was returned to them unopened, and they were more than disappointed. When it was revealed that the winning project was plagiarized, they showed their project to the decision makers in the Islamic Community in Zagreb and to the City of Rijeka. Their proposal was met there with general delight. “But they were all angry that our submission for the competition was late!” said the architects.

Islamic Specificities

The new Islamic Center will be erected on the slopes of Gornji Zamet, in the western section of the city and will have a spectacular view of the Kvarner Bay. The mosque with its minaret will be positioned on elevated ground as the central sculpture. In harmony with Džamonja’s idea of integrating architecture into the landscape, it will look simply like a massive sculpture.

Of course, the interior of the mosque will strictly conform to religious standards. The exterior will be composed of stone and yellowish ‘desert’ sand, while the interior vault will be covered with gold mosaic. The floor will be black granite covered in oriental carpets in lively colors. The minaret will rise to the north, will also have a sculptural form and will be 17 meters in height. Beneath the mosque, on the lower floor, one side of which will be underground, the Islamic Center will be constructed, with several facilities, including café, restaurant, butcher shop, conference hall, preschool and religious school. In the back, northern section, to be underground, will be the garage and other businesses. The Islamic Center will cover a total of 3572 square meters.

The new Islamic Center in Rijeka was designed in harmony with the symbols of the Islamic community and religion. As the architects admitted, they were required to learn more about Islam and Islamic construction for this challenging project in order to better present its specificities. “In the external section, in the dome sections, the figure of the half moon is present, as a unique Islamic symbol, and the internal vaults create the atmosphere of the heavenly vault and ultimate space,” added Džamonja. The element of water, a popular one, is always discrete in Islam will be strongly emphasized here: between the two southern domes will be a pool with a glass wall, such that the light will penetrate through the water, lighting the office space below.

In addition, the special construction of the shell combined with light will create a somewhat mystical atmosphere. When asked about the winning design, which was discovered to be plagiarism, Džamonja declared that nothing could defend plagiarism, particularly since the young architects used the same solution as the designers from Rotterdam. “They wanted to take an already constructed shopping center, turn it into a mosque and offer it to Rijeka, which is unprofessional,” he states, added that he does not feel any guilt for the fact that the City of Rijeka and the Islam Community in the end decided for his project. “They agreed that it was a shame that the project was not received on time, as it would have certainly won the competition.”

Džamonja became interested in architecture when he was studying at the Academy of Fine Arts. “While listening to the lectures on design by Neven Šegvić, I grew to love architecture, which was always so exciting to me,” he said. “We soon realized that we had many common interests and we became friends. He was a fantastic teacher and mentor: when he saw that I had a good idea, he would help me to realize it in space. We always discussed everything, though he never intervened in my ideas. Through our discussions, I realized that I could not separate architecture from my sculptural concepts. In the end, that is what helped me to create some sort of synthesis between sculpture and architecture. But unlike architects, I transform sculpture into architecture, while they turn architecture into sculpture, which is a real trend today,” said Džamonja.

Harmony with Nature

In explaining his views on architecture, Džamonja admits that architecture must respect programs, though that can also be achieved through reverse order. “First I resolve the spatial problem, for I believe that architecture should never be aggressive and it should fit in with its surroundings,” Džamonja explained, adding that the most sensitive part is designing the volume. “If that can be successfully resolved, then the interior is a lesser problem. Regardless of whether it is science or art, in creation the most interesting part is the imagination, which is more important than experience or inspiration. With the help of imagination, unexpected solutions can be found.”

To the question of what his vision of architecture is, Džamonja responded that he found a very interesting book in a Munich bookstore on the architecture of German bunkers. He instantly bought it, knowing that inside he would find fantastic testimony on how the structure must be integrated into the landscape. The bunker is perhaps the best example as it must be completely hidden. He added that his greatest affinity is for American architect Louis Cahn, who leaves his objects as sculptures, harmonized with the landscape.

60 projects

“For my creations, the model is characteristic,” said Džamonja. “I make all my architectural project models very precisely out of plaster, which is completely unusual. First I model the project in clay, adding to it, modifying it, and once it is defined, I model it in plaster. Of all the great architects I know, they all still make models. However, at the Zagreb Faculty of Architecture, there is not even a class on model making, which is a great shame.”

Sculptor Dušan Džamonja claims that he has some 60 architectural projects behind him. “My documentary museum on Kozari was realized, and I dug it into the ground, making it almost invisible in order to maximally blend it into the landscape. I also made a memorial to the victims at Dachau, where I turned one of my sculptures, 60 meters high, into a cathedral, opening up the internal space, turning it into a chapel with a thin trace of light penetrating from the spine of the sculpture.”

At an upcoming exhibition at the Museum of Architecture, Džamonja’s architectural project models will be on display. In the early phases, he made models for memorial structures, representative buildings, museums and hospitals. There are also the models of massive mosques in Bagdad and Oran, as well as the project of his home, studio, gallery and sculpture park in Vrsar which was 30 years in the making. He will also display his solution to the Sarajevo Square in front of the parliament, which was constructed in granite.

At the exhibition, Džamonja will also present a model for an unusual and futuristic skyscraper he created in 1985. The project even made it as far as one of the top American building companies, which assessed that the floor plan would mean a loss of about 25% of space due to its specific form and, as such, it was not as profitable.

We will also see a number of idea projects for the Džamonja Gallery in Zagreb which he has been dreaming of for years. These are projects for galleries on Jurjevska Street, on Tuškanac, along the Sava River and on Kačičeva Street, across from the Faculty of Architecture.

Džamonja’s Donation

For the past 30 years, Džamonja has been willing to donate his works to the City of Zagreb, but this has not been realized yet. In 1986, the City Council passed the plans to build the Džamonja Gallery on Kačičeva Street. The blueprints were made, the money found. The plan was for joint contribution: the City would give the space, and Džamonja his work and sculptures. But nothing!

“I proposed that in that space we could make a gallery in which my sculptures, drawings and sketches could be displayed, in addition to two studios – one for me and one for architecture and sculpting students and young artists. The idea was that this gallery would form the foundation for a future Museum of Modern Art, which Zagreb today still does not have,” said the sculptor.

“There is a damned atmosphere in Zagreb, in which even the best of intentions and will cannot defeat suspicions and doubts. Such projects must be done decisively, and we are not decisive. As the governments changed, so did our projects fall through and I fear that my gallery and my donation will again not be realized with this government. I don’t think the problem is money, because if these institutions are well organized, they can come up with the resources on their own. I no longer believe that my donation will find the right space in Zagreb,” concluded Džamonja.

A sculptor’s experience in architecture: ‘I transform sculpture into architecture, while they turn architecture into sculpture,” said Džamonja

Over the years, Dušan Džamonja has designed memorial centers, religious buildings in Bagdad and Oran, and a skyscraper for Chicago one hundred stories tall. His most recent works include a hospital in Amman.

Islamic Centre & Mosque for Croatian City
01 September 2008 Zagreb _ The council, or Majlis, of the Muslim community in Croatia’s city of Rijeka has received the necessary documentation to start building an Islamic centre and mosque, reports a local daily.

According to Rijeka daily Novi list, the Majlis will have to wait another six months to get the rest of the documents, but the start of the construction is expected next spring.

According to Mirsad Srebrenikovic, the lawyer for the Majlis, if everything goes as planned, the Islamic centre in Rijeka should be open to Muslims in 2011.

It is estimated there are some 10,000 Muslims living in and around Rijeka, which sits on the shores of the northern Adriatic and is home to 150,000 people.

This will be the third mosque in Croatia, after those in Zagreb and in Gunja.

The architect will be Croatia’s well-renowned Dusan Djamonja, who envisaged the centre as a 3000 square metre complex, including a 30 metre high minaret and a 1000 square metre prayer area.

The Vjesnik daily reported that the cost of the centre is estimated at €5 million.

The bulk of the money is expected to come from the local, but also European and international Muslim communities.

The imam of Rijeka Hajrudin Mujkanovic told Vjesnik last year that donors from Saudi Arabia have already visited the construction site of the future Islamic centre in Rijeka.

According to the latest census from 2001, there are 57,000 Muslims in Croatia, most of them living in Zagreb (around 16,000), while another 20,000 live in the areas of Rijeka and the Istrian peninsula.

I'm cute? No shit.
Like I care!
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #28
hrvat
Get Real

Rujevica sports centre

Rujevica sports centre was suppused to be main object of Mediterranian games 2013, which Rijeka bid for. Main object in this centre would be new city stadium with capacity of 20.000 seats. The other important object woult be new city sports hall with capacity of 5.000 seats. This round hall was planned to be by stadium's southern side. Unfortunately Rijeka didn't win the organization of the games, so this landmark structures are not going to be built in near future.

I'm cute? No shit.
Like I care!
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #29
hrvat
Get Real

POS Rujevica

In july 2006 city of Rijeka decided to build 470 apartments within national project of afordable apartments, also called POS. Rijeka's POS project is planned for period from 2006 to 2010. some phases of the project are finished. It is POS residential area in Rujevica which is consisted of 4 buildings built in two phases. Phase one of Rujevica project, with 124 apartments in 2 buildings, was finished in summer of 2007. Phase two, with also 124 aparments in 2 buildings, was finished recently (summer 2008). Fallowing construction areas are Škurinje (Škurinjsko Plase) and Drenova.

POS Rujevica phase one

POS Rujevica phase two

I'm cute? No shit.
Like I care!
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #30
hrvat
Get Real

POS Drenova

Earlier this month there was an anouncment that next phase of Rijeka POS project is going to be refered to Zoka Skorup, an architect from Rijeka who lives in Chicago and works in Zoka Zola Architecture+Urban Design.

I'm cute? No shit.
Like I care!
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #31
hrvat
Get Real

Gomila complex

Gomila Project consists of planning, projecting and building of housing-commercial trade complex with underground garage for 1000 vehicles on historical site of Old town centar. because of this placement project will try to keep historical matrix by using old building project documentation. Realization of the project will try to recreate one-time apperance of Old town. Project documentation is expected to be finished by the end of 2008.

Area of Gomila complex is 6500m2
Gross of Gomila project is 25.000m2 for garage, 17.500m2 for housing-commercial trade complex and 2.000m2 for public areas and streets.

Estimated invesment is around 70 mil €

Gomila is North-western Part of Rijeka’s Old Town. It is situated near all major institutions of Rijeka.

1 University library
2 Hotel Bonavia
3 Rijeka grammar school,
4 FINA (Croatian Financial Agency)
5 Governer's paace (Maritime and History Museum of the Croatian Litoral)
6 County courthouse of Rijeka
7 Saint Vit’s Cathedral
8 Central police station
9 "Nikola Tesla" elementary school
10 PBZ Bank
11 public square
12 "Varteks City Centar" commercial centre
13 "Korzo" commercial centre
14 City government building
15 HRT (Croatian radio-television, Rijeka)
16 Ri-Tv local television
17 Social insurance office
18-19 Primorsko – goranska county officies

I'm cute? No shit.
Like I care!
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #32
hrvat
Get Real

Martinkovac-Diracje 1000 new apartments

Martinkovac-Diracje 1000 new apartments - 150 mil €, start in 2009, expected in 2012

According to the urbanistic plan of Rijeka tihs project is planned to be in Martinkovac area above western part of rijeka bypass betwin Diračje intersection on the east, OMV petrol station on the west and Europetrol petrol station on the north. This area is 100.000m2 big, planned gross construction area is 107.000m2 residential and 17.000m2 cemmercial.

Area is divided into 3 zones

Zone 1:

* on the northern part of this area, just below Europetrol petrol station
* residential area
* buildings for one or more families
* allowed to build ground floor and 2 overhead floores
* 30.000 m2 of gross residential area
* smallest allowed constrution parcel is 600 m2 to 1.200 m2

Zone 2:

* above the bypass and below of zone 1 area
* residential area
* multiple apartment buildings
* allowed to build ground floor and 5 overhead floores
* 77.000 m2 of gross residential area
* smallest allowed constrution parcel is 2.000 m2

Zone 3:

* just above the bypass and below of zone 2 area
* commercial area
* 17.000 m2 of gross commercial area

I'm cute? No shit.
Like I care!
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #33
hrvat
Get Real

Kastav Trade Center - 200 mil €, start in 2009

This project is planned to be built above OMV petrol station, above rijeka bypass, near new Martinkovac project. The investor for this project is Jaroslav Tresnak from Czech Republic and his company Tre Invest.

I'm cute? No shit.
Like I care!
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #34
hrvat
Get Real

This is northern area of Krk island. this is the area where port of Rijeka is planned to expand. it is also the area where LNG terminal should be built. there are also plans to build new bridge and motorway across this area which should connect to the planned A7 motorway, and also the railway connection to new Rijeka-Zagreb railway.

I'm cute? No shit.
Like I care!
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #35
hrvat
Get Real

Business-Apartment complex Novi Belveder

The Novi Belveder business-apartment complex is located in the residential quarter of Škurinje in Rijeka, near Belveder and Kozale. It is situated within walking distance from the town centre, the railway station, most of the faculties, schools, shopping centres and it is also close to the bypass exit Škurinje-Centar.

Project Description:

The construction complex, which is planned on a plot of 27,782 m2, includes 4 modern highrise residential buildings, business premises and an underground car park. The total area of the complex is 70,050 m2, of which 13,775 is intended for public and commercial purposes. There will be 300 apartments, 1,100 underground parking places, a nursery, as well as green areas and recreational grounds.
Apart from smaller 1-room apartments, the complex will mainly consist of 2-room and 3-room apartments with large windows, useful balconies with sun protection, storages in the basement and a car park under video surveillance … The apartment furnishings will be modern and functional with the possibility to choose the fi nished materials, i.e. architectural ceramics, parquet flooring, interior furniture, sanitary facilities, and, during the construction phase, the partition walls.

Program:

Besides the apartments, the attractiveness of the location will also be complemented by additional facilities, such as wellness and fitness centres, sports halls for yoga, mediation, bowling and squash, restaurants and other oenological and gastronomic facilities, a shopping centre, galleries …
Public facilities include a nursery and a playground, a medical centre, a library and a reading room, a cultural centre with a multipurpose hall, as well as a public green space with paths for walking and recreation, a bowling green, and possibilities of other sports activities …

Project Stage:

The construction of the business-apartment complex Novi Belveder will be carried out in several stages. The fi rst stage includes the construction of the nursery and about 30% of the planned apartment and business premises, as well as half of the underground parking facilities. Construction and sale are scheduled for the beginning of 2009.

I'm cute? No shit.
Like I care!
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #36
hrvat
Get Real

Kantrida swimming pools

More than 300 volunteers at the European Swimming Championship in one picture

I'm cute? No shit.
Like I care!
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #37
hrvat
Get Real

Rijeka - the Croatian third city

Rijeka is the principal seaport of Croatia, located on Kvarner Bay, an inlet of the Adriatic Sea. It has 144,043 inhabitants (270,000 for greater area in 2001) and is Croatia's third largest city. The majority of its citizens, 80.39% (2001 census), are Croats. The city's name means river in Croatian.

Rijeka is the center of Primorje-Gorski Kotar County in Croatia. The city's economy largely depends on sea transport, shipbuilding (shipyards "3. Maj" and "Viktor Lenac") and tourism.

Rijeka hosts the Croatian National Theatre "Ivan pl. Zajc", first built in 1765, as well as the University of Rijeka, founded in 1973 but with roots dating back to 1632. The local football clubs are NK Rijeka and NK Orijent.

The Baroque city clock tower above the arched gateway linking the Korzo to the inner city, designed by Filbert Bazarig in 1876

Palace Adria

HNK Ivana pl. Zajca

I'm cute? No shit.
Like I care!
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #38
ńuto

beautiful city and awesome projects!
is Rijeka bidding for the 2017 Mediterranean Games?
ńuto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #39
BosniaHerzegovina

Likes (Received): 936

Wonderful, gradi li se Rijeka West Trade Centre?

Bazen vam je divan, mnogo bolji od onog novog u Sarajevu.
BosniaHerzegovina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #40
hrvat
Get Real

New renders of future City Library

I'm cute? No shit.
Like I care!