daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South



Reply

 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #81
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic
 
NorthLimitation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Inverness
Posts: 4,587
Likes (Received): 56

A lovely performance of a beautiful Irish song by Scottish Gaelic singer Karen Matheson - the song's about a dead child.

NorthLimitation no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old July 8th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #82
Thefancydanhimself
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 98
Likes (Received): 2

Willie O' Dea guitar solo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY4ure_GSHw
Thefancydanhimself no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 04:12 AM   #83
odlum833
Registered User
 
odlum833's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 8,210
Likes (Received): 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthLimitation View Post
Jesus and I thought it was only the Londoners that panicked over a bit of snow? National emergency?

No, this was actually an emergency - it was ice more then snow that was the problem. The ground was frozen 13 feet deep!
__________________
Ireland forum is here

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #84
Catmalojin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dublin
Posts: 2,729
Likes (Received): 195

Dublin did look nice in the snow and ice though, even if we had trouble dealing with it!



Plenty of people enjoyed it too:





Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #85
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic
 
NorthLimitation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Inverness
Posts: 4,587
Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
No, this was actually an emergency - it was ice more then snow that was the problem. The ground was frozen 13 feet deep!
With all due respect, how then did we manage to cope with far worse? There was no emergency here
__________________
Scotland's Housing Expo

I N V E R N E S S / I N B H I R - N I S
Capital of the Scottish Highlands
Prìomh-bhaile na Gàidhealtachd
NorthLimitation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #86
odlum833
Registered User
 
odlum833's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 8,210
Likes (Received): 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthLimitation View Post
With all due respect, how then did we manage to cope with far worse? There was no emergency here

There were local variations - Dublin for example was iced up for weeks on end - whilst areas not even that far away had no ice. Being the Capital and immobilised meant there was not enough grit to go round. I remember being unable to walk out the door - simply cause you would break your neck if you did. Also in a situation with mostly Easterly winds, Scotland for example, is closer to high pressure while areas further south are closer to Low pressure - therefore more rain/snow etc. The ground temperatures being so cold meant anything that fell froze instantly. Bad for driving!


Also loads of people got stranded on the Wicklow mountains just south of Dublin despite being told to avoid the area. There were extraordinary images of cars buried under 10 - 15 feet of drifting snow.

I think mostly it was bad because the country ran out of grit.
__________________
Ireland forum is here

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #87
odlum833
Registered User
 
odlum833's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 8,210
Likes (Received): 548

*double post*
__________________
Ireland forum is here

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #88
niterider
niterider
 
niterider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 413
Likes (Received): 0

I'm sorry but parts of the UK had it worse!...It's once in a 30 yearish bad winter...nothing more nothing less.
niterider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #89
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic
 
NorthLimitation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Inverness
Posts: 4,587
Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
There were local variations - Dublin for example was iced up for weeks on end - whilst areas not even that far away had no ice. Being the Capital and immobilised meant there was not enough grit to go round. I remember being unable to walk out the door - simply cause you would break your neck if you did. Also in a situation with mostly Easterly winds, Scotland for example, is closer to high pressure while areas further south are closer to Low pressure - therefore more rain/snow etc. The ground temperatures being so cold meant anything that fell froze instantly. Bad for driving!


Also loads of people got stranded on the Wicklow mountains just south of Dublin despite being told to avoid the area. There were extraordinary images of cars buried under 10 - 15 feet of drifting snow.

I think mostly it was bad because the country ran out of grit.
Show me them.

Anyway, that's a slight misunderstand of the situation. During the long cold spell of the last winter, Ireland was generally closer to high pressure because an omega block had formed across the Atlantic. Northern Scotland and SE England are most likely to suffer from low pressure "undercutting" as its known which involves rain colliding with the cold dense air (hence undercutting, cold air is heavy and isn't brushed aside), which resulted in very heavy snowfall.

Look at the chart below for 5 January, it shows low pressure to the east of Scotland and the isobers pulling cold north winds across the Scottish highlands.



And below, 20th of December shows another example.



And again on the 23rd



Ireland was closer to the high pressure, with less snowfall and warmer temperatures than much of the UK.

The road to the Cairngorms in the Scottish Highlands

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr


The Cairngorms themselves

image hosted on flickr


Aviemore

image hosted on flickr


Parts of N. England and the Scottish Borders also had it as severe. No national emergencies though.
__________________
Scotland's Housing Expo

I N V E R N E S S / I N B H I R - N I S
Capital of the Scottish Highlands
Prìomh-bhaile na Gàidhealtachd
NorthLimitation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #90
odlum833
Registered User
 
odlum833's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 8,210
Likes (Received): 548

I don't want this thread to go OT so I will just show a couple of examples.







Here is a situation where Ireland is colder then Scotland for example on the 1st of January 2010 - this is not unusual in such a setup - at the center of LP there is always a milder sector.


Here is an example in an Easterly of higher pressure to the North.




Of course during this Winter the winds fluctuated between Northwesterly, Northerly and Easterly so you can't pin any one moment down as being representative of the Winter as a whole. Any one moment would have a colder, snowier episode for one place or another. But Irish mountains certainly were no go areas (as they are every Winter from time to time) and I could count on 1 hand the number of days when there was no ice at all on the ground during the Winter in my area at Sea Level. There is no doubt about it that the Northwest, North, East of Ireland in particular had a severe winter this year. Dublin is vulnerable to snow off the Irish Sea in these setups aswell - that's what caused the problems here actually. Dublin is not the highlands of Scotland - it's a Capital city.

I don't like using other people's photos from flickr or that but this just an example of a reservoir near Dublin.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/dk400d/4269357675/
__________________
Ireland forum is here

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #91
odlum833
Registered User
 
odlum833's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 8,210
Likes (Received): 548

I don't want this thread to go OT so I will just show a couple of examples.







Here is a situation where Ireland is colder then Scotland for example on the 1st of January 2010 - this is not unusual in such a setup - at the center of LP there is always a milder sector.


Here is an example in an Easterly of higher pressure to the North.




Of course during this Winter the winds fluctuated between Northwesterly, Northerly and Easterly so you can't pin any one moment down as being representative of the Winter as a whole. Any one moment would have a colder, snowier episode for one place or another. But Irish mountains certainly were no go areas (as they are every Winter from time to time) and I could count on 1 hand the number of days when there was no ice at all on the ground during the Winter in my area at Sea Level. There is no doubt about it that the Northwest, North, East of Ireland in particular had a severe winter this year. Dublin is vulnerable to snow off the Irish Sea in these setups aswell - that's what caused the problems here actually. Dublin is not the highlands of Scotland - it's a Capital city.
__________________
Ireland forum is here

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #92
odlum833
Registered User
 
odlum833's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 8,210
Likes (Received): 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthLimitation View Post

And again on the 23rd



Ireland was closer to the high pressure, with less snowfall and warmer temperatures than much of the UK.

That's a completely incorrect view of that situation - Ireland is colder then England there and has snow showers in the West and North along with Northern Scotland. You are aware the colours do not represent temperature on those charts? You are also aware that away from windward coasts it is often cold and sunny in Winter in Polar Maritime setups?


But anyway this thread is for videos not for discussions on the weather.
__________________
Ireland forum is here

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596

Last edited by odlum833; July 26th, 2010 at 01:25 PM.
odlum833 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #93
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic
 
NorthLimitation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Inverness
Posts: 4,587
Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
That's a completely incorrect view of that situation - Ireland is colder then England there and has snow showers in the West and North along with Northern Scotland. You are aware the colours do not represent temperature on those charts? You are also aware that away from windward coasts it is often cold and sunny in Winter in Polar Maritime setups?


But anyway this thread is for videos not for discussions on the weather.
Please don't bother trying to patronise me Odlum.

Ireland was colder than Scotland on the 1st of Jan 2010 eh? That is one day, we are talking about an entire cold spell lasting weeks in the case of the Scottish Highlands. Furthermore,

Here are the temperatures for 1st Jan 2010 in Ireland

Cork, Temp Max: 1'C / Temp Min: -5'C
Dublin, Temp Max: 1'C / Temp Min: -4'C
Connaught, Temp Max: 1.4'C / Temp Min: -2'C
Shannon: Temp Max: 2'C / Temp Min: -5'C
Casement Aerodrome: Temp Max: 0.1'C / Temp Min: -5.5'C

Since, for some bizzare reason you have decided to select one individual day, I'll do the same. Let's compare that to the 8th of Jan in Scotland:

Aberdeen, Temp Max 0'C / Temp Min: -14'C
Inverness, Temp Max -1'C / Temp Min -13'C
Glasgow, Temp Max -3'C / Temp Min -10'C
Edinburgh, Temp Max -3'C / Min Temp -11'C
Dundee, Temp Max -2'C / Temp Min -8'C
Aviemore, Temp Max -7.5'C / Temp Min -15.5'C
Altnaharra, Temp Max 1.6'C / Temp Min -22.1'C


I just think Ireland was woefully unprepared compared to much of the UK, for weather conditions that were not as severe. I guess the Emerald isle just can't hack the white stuff

I'm still waiting for those 15ft snow drift photos Odlum, which I'm guessing do not exist.
__________________
Scotland's Housing Expo

I N V E R N E S S / I N B H I R - N I S
Capital of the Scottish Highlands
Prìomh-bhaile na Gàidhealtachd
NorthLimitation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #94
odlum833
Registered User
 
odlum833's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 8,210
Likes (Received): 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthLimitation View Post
Please don't bother trying to patronise me Odlum.

Ireland was colder than Scotland on the 1st of Jan 2010 eh? That is one day, we are talking about an entire cold spell lasting weeks in the case of the Scottish Highlands. Furthermore,

Here are the temperatures for 1st Jan 2010 in Ireland

Cork, Temp Max: 1'C / Temp Min: -5'C
Dublin, Temp Max: 1'C / Temp Min: -4'C
Connaught, Temp Max: 1.4'C / Temp Min: -2'C
Shannon: Temp Max: 2'C / Temp Min: -5'C
Casement Aerodrome: Temp Max: 0.1'C / Temp Min: -5.5'C

Since, for some bizzare reason you have decided to select one individual day, I'll do the same. Let's compare that to the 8th of Jan in Scotland:

Aberdeen, Temp Max 0'C / Temp Min: -14'C
Inverness, Temp Max -1'C / Temp Min -13'C
Glasgow, Temp Max -3'C / Temp Min -10'C
Edinburgh, Temp Max -3'C / Min Temp -11'C
Dundee, Temp Max -2'C / Temp Min -8'C
Aviemore, Temp Max -7.5'C / Temp Min -15.5'C
Altnaharra, Temp Max 1.6'C / Temp Min -22.1'C


I just think Ireland was woefully unprepared compared to much of the UK, for weather conditions that were not as severe. I guess the Emerald isle just can't hack the white stuff

I'm still waiting for those 15ft snow drift photos Odlum, which I'm guessing do not exist.
I only gave one day because as I said I don't want to go OT on the thread.

Im talking about a Capital City at Sea Level. Your asking me for photos from high areas that nobody could get to except the Air Corps - I will have to search for them. There is bound to be pictures somewhere. It was on the news ffs.

And as for patronising - your patronising me - I live here - I know how severe it was and where it was severe.

There is no point quoting temperatures from mountaintops either.

Now, if you don't mind (since I don't go into the Scottish forums spoiling your threads) we want this thread for vids - thank you.
__________________
Ireland forum is here

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #95
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic
 
NorthLimitation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Inverness
Posts: 4,587
Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post

And as for patronising - your patronising me - I live here - I know how severe it was and where it was severe.
I'm not patronising you. Besides, it's "you're".

Now I'm patronising you
__________________
Scotland's Housing Expo

I N V E R N E S S / I N B H I R - N I S
Capital of the Scottish Highlands
Prìomh-bhaile na Gàidhealtachd
NorthLimitation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #96
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic
 
NorthLimitation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Inverness
Posts: 4,587
Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
I only gave one day because as I said I don't want to go OT on the thread.

Im talking about a Capital City at Sea Level. Your asking me for photos from high areas that nobody could get to except the Air Corps - I will have to search for them. There is bound to be pictures somewhere. It was on the news ffs.

And as for patronising - your patronising me - I live here - I know how severe it was and where it was severe.

There is no point quoting temperatures from mountaintops either.

Now, if you don't mind (since I don't go into the Scottish forums spoiling your threads) we want this thread for vids - thank you.
Only Aviemore is above sea level out of all of those places, and Glasgow is even larger than Dublin. Out of interest, since "nobody could get to these areas except the Air Corps", why would it matter that you live in Dublin? Surely as a keen weather and believe it or not Ireland enthusiast, I have as much a right to discuss this as you do?

Oh and with regards to posting videos on this thread, I already have - a lovely Irish song
__________________
Scotland's Housing Expo

I N V E R N E S S / I N B H I R - N I S
Capital of the Scottish Highlands
Prìomh-bhaile na Gàidhealtachd
NorthLimitation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #97
odlum833
Registered User
 
odlum833's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 8,210
Likes (Received): 548

I don't know what your looking for. Your confusing me here.

You have a right to discuss anything you want. But this is the wrong thread. That's all im saying. This thread is for youtube videos not for discussing the dynamics of the weather in your local area.
__________________
Ireland forum is here

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #98
odlum833
Registered User
 
odlum833's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 8,210
Likes (Received): 548

Here I found a picture from Wicklow, which is just South of Dublin


image hosted on flickr



from the 30th of December which was still early in the Winter. It got worse then that!

In fact by the 9th the road signs were buried according to the photographer.

I will try and find more and maybe post them in a different thread.
__________________
Ireland forum is here

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #99
RubaDub
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 37
Likes (Received): 0

The problem was the lenght of the cold spell not the minimum temperatures. Councils ran low on grit because they had to grit roads every day for a few weeks which isn't usual, so only the most important roads were treated. Lots of focus in the news on road closures, bus cancelations and airport delays same stuff you hear every time snow falls. I travelled across the country twice at the time with no bother. UK had the same problems with grit running low and army being called out in places.

At least the civil defence got to play with their new toy:



http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/vid...archive_page=0
RubaDub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #100
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic
 
NorthLimitation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Inverness
Posts: 4,587
Likes (Received): 56

Didn't think it was going to be 15ft
__________________
Scotland's Housing Expo

I N V E R N E S S / I N B H I R - N I S
Capital of the Scottish Highlands
Prìomh-bhaile na Gàidhealtachd
NorthLimitation no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu