daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2009, 05:51 AM   #21
hellospank25
Proud warmonger

Likes (Received): 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
YVR does not provide any de-icing services. It is up to the airline to find their own de-icing service, which Air Canada did not seem to be too concerned with.

Air Canada blamed YVR because they were desperate to draw attention away from their incompetence. They, at one point, claimed YVR did not have any clear runways, and cancelled all flights...while WestJet cancelled a couple and was delayed for the most part. I guess WestJet must have had magical tires that plow through the snow.

Overall, a PR disaster for Air Canada...they have lost thousands of customers during this time to WestJet.
You are so right! Same story in Yellowknife where Air Canada cancelled my flight because of ice fog while First Air and Canadian North
continued to fly as normal. I am so glad that Air Canada is the official airlines of the olympics so the whole world will know how shit they are.
hellospank25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2009, 02:54 AM   #22
oceanmdx
Mr. Haney(Cruz) for Pres.

Likes (Received): 84

Air Canada finds that it has to spend big money to try to counter their poor reputation.
oceanmdx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #23
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

"I would have had to pay for the bus ride myself as Air Canada doesnt pay for anything. It's a question of principle, i would rather die than pay for something i shouldn't have to."

Not me. Being from Australia it would be worth every penny for me to go to Seattle while you were in the region. Life is short. I would pay a fortune to see places that my curiosity burns for. Cheap people miss out on the fruits of life. I mean c'mon how much could a bus or train from Vancouver to Seattle cost?
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #24
CanadianCentaur
Briareos Hecatonchires

Likes (Received): 25

I was in Vancouver over the Christmas holidays, and there was a LOT more snow than shown in the pics. There was something like a couple of feet in the suburb where my brother lives.

@Hellospank - next you fly within Canada, why not try WestJet? You'll get better service with this airline. Yes, I know it doesn't fly into Seattle, but it's something you may want to consider next time you fly on domestic routes within Canada or between Canada and whatever international destinations WestJet serves.

Vancouver to Seattle is about 3-4 hours apart by road - not exactly a "very short coach ride", but it's not way too bad, either. Not to mention the time you may end up dealing with US Customs. I should know, because I've visited Seattle a few times.
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:19 AM   #25
hellospank25
Proud warmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCentaur View Post

@Hellospank - next you fly within Canada, why not try WestJet? You'll get better service with this airline. Yes, I know it doesn't fly into Seattle, but it's something you may want to consider next time you fly on domestic routes within Canada or between Canada and whatever international destinations WestJet serves.
Because i was on a round the world ticket with star alliance
Perhaps i should email them asking to reconsider their parternship with Air Canada. BTW I didn't go to Seattle from Vancouver because the latest cancellation was because of maintenance so they put us in a Travelodge hotel for 2 days

Anyhow this is what happened with my cancellations:

2th January: Yellowknife to Seattle via Calgary scheduled to depart at 2:00pm cancelled because of ice fog, they then decided to put me on a Vancouver flight made me book my hotel and then they cancelled that one too, they finally put me on a flight to Edmonton which departed at 9:30pm I arrived at my destination at midnight and had to pay for the hotel myself

3rd January: Trying again to get to seattle they had booked me on a morning flight that would have gone from Edmonton to Seattle via Calgary but it was cancelled again
so they put me on a flight to Vancouver. I got to Vancouver at 8am and had to wait until 3pm for my flight to Seattle which was cancelled. I had to wait until 6pm before I reached an agreement with them and that is staying in Vancouver until the 5th and take my next flight to San Francisco skipping Seattle all together

Anyway on my next round the world trip next year i will make sure to avoid Air Canada like the plague
Old January 17th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #26
guinessbeer55

Likes (Received): 14

Wow thats horrible... Air Canada sucks!!
Its funny though because you said that you were flying to Seattle on the 2nd and 3rd of January... by that time most of the snow was gone or much less than it was before christmas. So it looks like Air Canada lied...

Seattle was pretty much paralyzed before that though. The freeways were like parking lot all throughout western Washington so Im sure the coach wouldnt have gotten you far. No worries you can always try again.
guinessbeer55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:48 AM   #27
hellospank25
Proud warmonger

I noticed how Vancouver downtown is well served by buses and skytrain. Most people live downtown there

However i found Richmond, which is an outer part of Vancouver, to be very neglected by public transport
1 hour wait on Sunday for a bus
Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:01 AM   #28
zivan56

Likes (Received): 2

The Canada Line (Skytrain) will link Richmond to Vancouver. It is opening this year, so that should help things quite a bit. Personally, I think the road network in Richmond is a joke...it is virtually gridlocked every day (the "downtown" at least). The Canada Line will fix that for the most part. However, you are right, more places outside of Vancouver proper is not served very well by transit (except areas around Skytrain).
zivan56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote