daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > City Talk

City Talk Local talk, activities, websites, etc...

Old January 29th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #261
cardiff

Likes (Received): 1318

Can you get one simple thing into your thick skull? I never used Vilnius for a comparison.

So you didnt say Britiain could learn from Vilnius? because it hink you did.

childish and pathetic

Describes you perfectly here

I...... mentioned Vilnius.....

have onited your mistakes above

It was demolished during Russian occupation, if you are not thick (youre) you will understand why it was rebuilt.

In August 1655, Vilnius was captured by the Muscovite army. The Polish-Lithuanian army recaptured the city six years later, by which time the palace had been destroyed by fire. Perhaps you spend less time trolling and more time reading your history! Ignorant fool

Once again you show your ignorance. Seriously just stop talking about stuff you dont know.

I think you have prooven your ignorance, i obviously know more about it.

Except Vilnius does have bold modern architecture.

Never said it didnt, Vilnius looks lovely

You dont even know London and yet you talk about Vilnius. Just what kind of ignorant idiot are you?

I have lived in Woolwich, Greenwich, visit many time a year and my Grandparent and father come from Greenford.

Heres central London -

As you can see from the posts above there is already conflict as to what to include and what not to! lol

No its not. Its part of city centre, and besides even if we exclude New City Centre central Vilnius still does not lack modern stuff.

Im not claiming Vilnius lacks modern architecture, but it does lack a good connectiong beteen historic heart and modern area.

Excatly - an ugly place, you tasteless, tasteless ignoramus.....

You are loosing the plot here again

No, Im not surprised at all by the fact most people think its London.

Didint read what i said did you, perhaps you need to go back AGAIN and read it.

You posted this picture and in the next post you said 'commie club architecture' -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zaliukas/145739661/

Are you saying you meant this kind of architecture?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ry...ma_theater.jpg

No, you meant tower blocks, quit wriggling.

I didnt mean tower blocks, like i SAID, we dodnt have many tower blocks in Cardiff so they arnt a factor in my mind. However the point i was making (which i restate and you can ignor for a third time) is that alongside bold modern architecture comes the more mundane offices and apartments etc. Europe is no better to Britiain in this fact or its urban form, and in some ways like the above picture is worse.

........you are an ignorant liar.

Edited above to fit in with you

But Im not offended, but bored.

You are certainly something

I visit museums, I go to lectures given by top historians and archaeologists, I go to cool bars and restaurants, I go exploring the city, I travel etc etc.

Felt the need to defend your lifestyle here have you, i doubt you do much of the above. More like sit at home drinking beer or wine from a carton and musing on your sad existance.
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 29th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #262
DaiB
Maaaaaaaaarvellous

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karldiff View Post
Perhaps it might be useful to summarise the last few pages of posts as thus -

El Greco - Cardiff (the City) is crap

Cardiff (the poster) - oh no it isn't

and leave it at that? I find the endless quoting and re-quoting really tedious and I'm sure others do. What about pictures of waterways, hmmm?
+1, as I believe the young 'uns say.
Old January 29th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #263
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1473

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill tonkso View Post
Why not Camden Town? It is essentially an extension of the West End but with Music rather than Shows.
No its not. Greenwich and Blackheath have some good eating places, should we call them Central London too?

Camden is largely a product of The Industrial Revolution, up until that time in history it, together with similar places, (Hampstead, Rotherhithe, Greenwich, Limehouse etc) was an independent village/town, seperated from London by large open fields. Its inner city. The area I shown, on the other hand, is a long established one. City of London is the oldest part of the city, this is where London began, Southwark and Westminster soon followed. So thats Central London.

Last edited by El_Greco; January 29th, 2010 at 09:12 PM.
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #264
cardiff

So central London can extend outside of the City but outsdie of what you define is historically central is not ok? Central London cant extend as the city has done to incorporate surrounding villages?
Old January 29th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #265
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 595

I would still count Camden and Regents Park. Its still well within the touristy area and only envolves crossing a road. Dont forget London Zoo is in Regents Park up by Camden Town.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #266
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
So you didnt say Britiain could learn from Vilnius? because it hink you did.
Yes, because it can, I mentioned Vilnius only because you brought it up.

Quote:
Describes you perfectly here
No its you, since it was you that brought up Vilnius in a rather childish and pathetic way.

Quote:
have onited your mistakes above
What? Youre making so many mistakes I have problems understanding what you are trying to say.

Quote:
In August 1655, Vilnius was captured by the Muscovite army. The Polish-Lithuanian army recaptured the city six years later, by which time the palace had been destroyed by fire. Perhaps you spend less time trolling and more time reading your history! Ignorant fool
'The palace was greatly damaged (in the Fire) and its treasures were plundered. It was demolished in 1801'

Ignorant Fool.

Quote:
I think you have prooven your ignorance, i obviously know more about it.
No it was you.

'The palace was greatly damaged (in the Fire) and its treasures were plundered. It was demolished in 1801'

Quote:
Never said it didnt, Vilnius looks lovely
Of course it is.

Quote:
I have lived in Woolwich, Greenwich, visit many time a year and my Grandparent and father come from Greenford.
So why do you seem so ignorant of the city? Oh wait.....

Quote:
As you can see from the posts above there is already conflict as to what to include and what not to! lol
He agreed with me you fool.

Quote:
Im not claiming Vilnius lacks modern architecture, but it does lack a good connectiong beteen historic heart and modern area.
Er.....no it doesnt. Art Nouveau stops at the river, you cross the bridge into the New City Centre and it begins again, together with skyscrapers and some baroque. You need to visit the place first.

Quote:
You are loosing the plot here again
You think its beautiful? Well I think youre the one losing the plot on here!

Quote:
Didint read what i said did you, perhaps you need to go back AGAIN and read it.
Perhaps if you made fewer mistakes.....

Quote:
I didnt mean tower blocks, like i SAID, we dodnt have many tower blocks in Cardiff so they arnt a factor in my mind. However the point i was making (which i restate and you can ignor for a third time) is that alongside bold modern architecture comes the more mundane offices and apartments etc. Europe is no better to Britiain in this fact or its urban form, and in some ways like the above picture is worse.
No, you said 'Commie Club Architecture' and in one post posted a picture of tower blocks. Therefore you meant tower blocks.

Quote:
Edited above to fit in with you
Ignorant liar.

Quote:
Felt the need to defend your lifestyle here have you, i doubt you do much of the above. More like sit at home drinking beer or wine from a carton and musing on your sad existance.
I hate wine and I dont sit at home, you must be thinking of yourself!
I just got back from a nice trip round the City of London (went to a cool restaurant too), Ill post pics later and prove you an ignorant bastard who talks rubbish once again.
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #267
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Quote:
So central London can extend outside of the City but outsdie of what you define is historically central is not ok? Central London cant extend as the city has done to incorporate surrounding villages?
Using this logic (logic?) we could call the whole of Greater London central London! Camden was an independent village for most of its existence, but during 19th C it was swallowed up by London, that doesnt make it Central London, if it did we could include Greenwich, Limehouse and the whole series of other areas.
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #268
ill tonkso

I posted some waterways on the previous page
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #269
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Quote:
I would still count Camden and Regents Park. Its still well within the touristy area and only envolves crossing a road. Dont forget London Zoo is in Regents Park up by Camden Town.
Camden is not Central London. The Edge of Central London is dotted by large train stations (London Bridge, Waterloo, Kings Cross, St Pancras etc), Camden is almost a kilometre away from any of the major stations.
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #270
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Quote:
Blame Cardiff not me.
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #271
ill tonkso

Why? You started it with silly criticisms of Cardiff and Portsmouth's waterways?
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #272
DaiB
Maaaaaaaaarvellous

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Blame Cardiff not me.
I think you'll find most people blame both of you.

Quote:
So you did. Shall we try again?

Quote:
Not my city but some of London.

Camden Lock

Little Venice, somewhere I can imagine living one day.

Kew Rail Bridge, I love the Thames this far west in London where it becomes narrower.

Richmond Riverside, I love this development.
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #273
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Quote:
Why? You started it with silly criticisms of Cardiff and Portsmouth's waterways?
Yes, that was on topic though, Cardiff derailed it when he brought up Vilnius, in extremely childish way no less.

I promise to stay on topic as long as Cardiff keeps his ignorant jaws shut.
Old January 29th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #274
cardiff

The onyl topic you would stick to is critasism of anything British El Greco, Vilnius was braught up by Greenwichboy as you have said, which you then used as a comparison, you meant tower blocks not me, Vinius castle ceased to exist and have any importance for 300 years and tte subsequent urban fabric of Vilnius is being destroyed to build a pastich palace instead of a bold modern symbol of Lithuanian identity (like the Sednedd Scottish parliamanet). He didint agree with you aobut London as you have argued above. The childish one is youu who have consistenly been calling names, when was the last time you posted a picture of a waterway of the Uk in this thread?

Penarth

Carry on with your belittlements no one apreciated it as you have noting good to say.
Old January 29th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #275
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Quote:
The onyl topic you would stick to is critasism of anything British El Greco, Vilnius was braught up by Greenwichboy as you have said, which you then used as a comparison, you meant tower blocks not me, Vinius castle ceased to exist and have any importance for 300 years and tte subsequent urban fabric of Vilnius is being destroyed to build a pastich palace instead of a bold modern symbol of Lithuanian identity (like the Sednedd Scottish parliamanet). He didint agree with you aobut London as you have argued above. The childish one is youu who have consistenly been calling names, when was the last time you posted a picture of a waterway of the Uk in this thread?
Calm down youre making way too many mistakes!

You brought up Vilnius too, but just like your buddy Greenwich, you brought it up in a childish way - 'oh look Vilnius is full of tower blocks ('commie club architecture')'. Therefore youre the childish one. The Palace survived the fire and was demolished in 1801. A modern building wasnt built because the site is between The Old Town (UNESCO World Heritage Site) and New Town. Neither locals nor UNESCO would have allowed anything modern on the site. Tonsko agreed with me saying - 'I pretty much agree with what you have defined as Central London'. He just said that he would include Regents Park and Camden as being Central London too. Now be so kind shut up and stop derailing the thread.
Old January 30th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #276
cardiff

No sorry, i didnt bring up tower blocks, you did and then tried to say Cardiff and british cities are full of them...in a childish way. Vilnius is far more blighted by horrible concrete architecture devoid of greenery as shown in my pic. No the palace didnt survive the fire, it was subsequently built over and all that history is now being lost, with that areas demolition to build a pastich palace devoid of significance, because its significance was for the polish lithuanian state and not lithuanian. Im sure something could have been built on a different site to signfy Lithuanian independant identity, like Cardiff and Edinburgh. Yeah you have not read what he said have you, his argument is to include somewhere else, for others they may want to exclude some of your areas, either way you are arguing a childish point and unwunable because like Tonkso has proven evryones definition is different and you have missed my point, proven by tonsko. Seeing as im the only one posting pictures i think it most definately you who is derailing this thread

Plymouth

Old January 30th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #277
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Quote:
No sorry, i didnt bring up tower blocks, you did and then tried to say Cardiff and british cities are full of them...in a childish way. Vilnius is far more blighted by horrible concrete architecture devoid of greenery as shown in my pic. No the palace didnt survive the fire, it was subsequently built over and all that history is now being lost, with that areas demolition to build a pastich palace devoid of significance, because its significance was for the polish lithuanian state and not lithuanian. Im sure something could have been built on a different site to signfy Lithuanian independant identity, like Cardiff and Edinburgh. Yeah you have not read what he said have you, his argument is to include somewhere else, for others they may want to exclude some of your areas, either way you are arguing a childish point and unwunable because like Tonkso has proven evryones definition is different and you have missed my point, proven by tonsko. Seeing as im the only one posting pictures i think it most definately you who is derailing this thread
Just how thick are you?!

You brought up both Vilnius and tower blocks in this post (#208). Up until that point I not mentioned neither Vilnius nor the blocks it was you and you alone that brought them up.

Maybe these vilnus developments are better? lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/faj/3187340134/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anderson_live/2586668187/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnas/2072535480/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/visualmind/995418335/

And as for ugly streetscapes there is nothing of this scale in Portsmouth

and of course the vilnus tv tower is so much better than portmsouths

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philmowbray/1279392111/

Heres what Conor had to say in response to your childish post -

Some of those pics aren't very bad. I'm not even sure why Vilnius was brought into this? El Greco certainly didn't mention it in this thread.

Then you continued -

I braught up Vilnus because he holds it with such high regard to modern development.

Even though I never mentioned Vilnius or its developments.

Vilnius is not devoid of greenery in fact its a very green city, its surrounded by forests and parks. Google and stop talking out of your arse.

If palace didnt survive the fire then how on Earth was it demolished in 1801?! Its not pastiche its a reconstruction. Pastiche is that awful shopping mall in Bath and PoMo monstrosities in Piccadilly.

Tonkso agreed with me, it seems like I have to quote him again -

'I pretty much agree with what you have defined as Central London'.

Youve been destroyed. Utterly. Now shut up and stop polluting this thread.
Old January 30th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #278
cardiff

Just how thick are you El Greco

Vilnius was braught up by Greewichboy, not me...can we agree on that because you cant seem to get that straight!

I DID NOT bring up tower blocks, i made no mention of the words 'tower block', did you not use that term first...yes you did!

The Vilnius developments i braught up were in reference to the blander side of develpments that sit next to grander buildings, something which you still dont accept both in britian and Lithuania and is now the 4th time you have side stepped it (do i have to do a catherine tate on you of "do they exist" do they exist now" "no do they exist" "yeah but they exist now" ...so you agree with me, so the blander side of Gunwarf Quays pails when compared to Spinaker and East side plaza. yeah thought so, so overall gunwharf is a great development...yes!)

Conor got what i was saying, you havent!

Never said Vilnius was devoid of greenery, just said the image i posted showed areas of the city devoid of greenery

Maybe the palace REMAINS were demolished, the actual palace was destryed as a FUNCTIONING palace in the fire and therefore it hasnt been a palace for 300 years. Now work it out shit for brains.

No Tonkso didnt agree with you, that why he said "pretty much agree", in that he didnt fully agree with you (god i cant beleive you dont get this). his version of central london included other areas and hence my point in the London center is hard to define because everyone defines parts of it as central differently! and back to the origional point which you also didnt get is the new areas of vilnius are not well connected to the histric core.

I think you have been destroying this thread and all british threads, you have been proven a liar, an idiot on not understanding and a child for using frases like "uterly destroyed" and calling names! lol

Old January 31st, 2010, 01:21 AM   #279
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Stop it guys... I mean, do you ever see me arguing endlessly with anyone?
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 02:47 PM   #280
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Quote:
rant
Just how thick are you?!

You brought up both Vilnius and tower blocks in this post (#208). Up until that point I not mentioned neither Vilnius nor the blocks it was you and you alone that brought them up.

Maybe these vilnus developments are better? lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/faj/3187340134/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anderson_live/2586668187/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnas/2072535480/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/visualmind/995418335/

And as for ugly streetscapes there is nothing of this scale in Portsmouth

and of course the vilnus tv tower is so much better than portmsouths

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philmowbray/1279392111/

Heres what Conor had to say in response to your childish post -

Some of those pics aren't very bad. I'm not even sure why Vilnius was brought into this? El Greco certainly didn't mention it in this thread.

Then you continued -

I braught up Vilnus because he holds it with such high regard to modern development.

Even though I never mentioned Vilnius or its developments.

Vilnius is not devoid of greenery in fact its a very green city, its surrounded by forests and parks. Google and stop talking out of your arse.

If palace didnt survive the fire then how on Earth was it demolished in 1801?! Its not pastiche its a reconstruction. Pastiche is that awful shopping mall in Bath and PoMo monstrosities in Piccadilly.

Tonkso agreed with me, it seems like I have to quote him again -

'I pretty much agree with what you have defined as Central London'.

Youve been destroyed. Utterly. Now shut up and stop polluting this thread.