SkyscraperCity Forum banner

What cities have the best collection of skyscrapers in their skyline?

6K views 24 replies 24 participants last post by  nygirl 
#1 ·
I know that many big cities have lot of skyscrapers and buildings and can make huge skylines. But some of those cities individual buildings are nothing to rave about. So what cities have a nice collection of 'good-looking' (your choice) buildings in their skyline? A city that you look at and you love their collection and cluster of buildings? It could be a big city or a small city too. Just list or post some photos of your personal favorite skylines. Remember, this is not about skylines impact from a distance, but more of a close up. :) Also the city does not have to look great at street level. This is more about the buildings architecture.

#2 ·
I believe that we have many similar threads in these forums, but I personally love the classic art-decó buildings in NYC and the modern, glassy Hong Kong and Shangai buildings. Chicago also has some nice looking buildings. For me, these 4 cities have the most interesting skylines, from an architectural point of view.

Some cities that also have interesting buildings collections, although not so impressive as those four are: São Paulo, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Madrid, Buenos Aires and Dubai

#3 · (Edited)
New York, then Chicago and Tokyo tied. I'd put Hong Kong, Shanghai, Moscow, and London in the next grouping. My selection is based on quality and beauty not quantity and scale. Toronto may join that list as 1 Bloor East, L Tower, and AURA all point to a raising of the bar.

#4 · (Edited)
In my opinion NYC then a small drop to Chicago and then a gigantic drop to the rest in any order. Its kind of a given being that the first two have been "collecting" quality buildings from all styles for about 100 years or so. Not really fair given they have a huge head start on everyone else. While many are already far ahead in terms of numbers I think buildings are going up in haste but there are always a few gems in each city.

My personal top 10 in each...

NYC- Chrysler, ESB, 40 Wall, Hearst, LeverHouse, Bloomberg, Woolworth, TWT, 20 exchange, Municiple. Toss up BOA

Chicago- 35 East Wacker, C&C, 2 Pru, Wrigley, Tribune, Trump, JHC, Marina Duo, Temple Building, Aqua Toss up London Guarantee

#8 ·
Hong Kong has the best skyline and there is no doubt about it. Chicago is next, then followed by NYC. Shanghai is getting there real fast and Mumbai too. Moscow has a big leap but it may slow down due to economic crisis. I think London is fairly on the top ten but I think Paris La Defense might be fairly better.

#10 ·
this isnt about skylines its about cities with the best collection of skyscrapers and NYC wins hands down. then chicago. HK shouldnt be up there. Its lack of variety doesnt match with smaller cities that have more architecture.

#16 ·
New York and Chicago - best old skyscrapers (ex: Tribune Tower, Wollworth, Chrysler, ESB)

Shanghai and Hong Kong - best modern skyscrapers (ex: Jin Mao, 2IFC, SWFC, BoC)

Dubai - really don't have a lot of great buildings for now:

- Burj al Arab
- Emirates Towers
- Burj Dubai (u/c)
- The Index (u/c)

Most of the buildings are damn unimaginative. (the better ones are not even started to rise, like Burj al Alam, The Pentominium, Damac, Trump, Lighthouse Tower)

#19 ·
Definately the North American cities like NYC and Chicago because they seem to have an even mix of skyscrapers throughout the generations.

Most Asian and Middle Eastern cities are relatively new (when it comes to skyscrapers being built) so their cities tend to lean towards modernism and have a lower variety of skyscrapers because they are mostly from the same time period.

#20 · (Edited)
NYC definitely wins for classic skyscrapers and variety. For collection of modern skyscrapers only, I would say Shanghai. I think for individual buildings, Shanghai is more amazing and unique than Hong Kong although Hong Kong currently has a better skyline. Shanghai's bund also has a better collection of classical buildings than anywhere Hong Kong has to offer (although they are generally not regarded as skyscrapers). Architecturally Shanghai is just the more interesting city, and continues to get better towers. I think most people would agree that SWFC in Shanghai makes more of a statement than ICC Hong Kong. And Shanghai is getting Shanghai Tower soon, one to which Hong Kong has nothing to respond.

#24 ·
How many famous modern skyscrapers (800ft+) are there in NY? When I look at Manhattan it looks all of it was built in the 30's with a few sporadic modern buildings (modern in style not the year of construction).

For me, NY wins hands down for art deco and architecture up until the 60s or even 70s. And HK hands down for modern architecture. Can't think of a city that has ample of both.

#25 ·
For modern architecture I would say Shanghai and HK hands down. I like Dubai's scrapers along SZR and some that are going up in business bay but the tallest block just looks like the same buildings with different paint/glass and crown. A good reason I guess for that is to make every building look like it soars. I really like the Al Hamra tower going up in Kuwait City.

800+ modern buildings going up in ny or that have gone up in ny I would say Nytt, Boa, Twt, Time Warner, and a few others are good examples. Beekman will be a nice addition, Tower Verre though probably going through slight transformation due to a height decrease will be the greatest thing to go up in NY since the late 20's, 30's.

One building I'm almost positive will go up though on hold now is 30 Park or 99 church. I have limited inside information on that one though it's kinda spotty. I'm hoping for the 800 ft building on Leanord and if it is built the way it is rendered will be the next beekman.

Still speculative though.

The recession kinda hurt NY development but I'm certain the city will always be writing it's story on the skyline.

Another city I would throw in the mix is London. I know there are not many skyscrapers but it has terrific mid and low rise modern buildings and a historic cityscape to build them in. You can't go wrong there.

Overall I'd say NY and Chicago win this hands down. They are probably going to be the only ones in my lifetime that I can say that about and I take into consideration the contrast between old and new. Ny edges Chicago out because it's art deco and neo classical are more visible in the skyline. Skyline wise I think Chicago owns NY on even with the completion of the WTC. It's set up so perfectly and if they continue to rise south of the loop with even more peaks and valleys then it, imo, could never be outdone.
NY, HK, CHI and Shanghai, London head and shoulders above anywhere else

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.