daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 13th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #1
pokistic

Likes (Received): 4

What cities have the best collection of skyscrapers in their skyline?

I know that many big cities have lot of skyscrapers and buildings and can make huge skylines. But some of those cities individual buildings are nothing to rave about. So what cities have a nice collection of 'good-looking' (your choice) buildings in their skyline? A city that you look at and you love their collection and cluster of buildings? It could be a big city or a small city too. Just list or post some photos of your personal favorite skylines. Remember, this is not about skylines impact from a distance, but more of a close up. Also the city does not have to look great at street level. This is more about the buildings architecture.
pokistic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #2
RogerioAndrade

Likes (Received): 1

I believe that we have many similar threads in these forums, but I personally love the classic art-decó buildings in NYC and the modern, glassy Hong Kong and Shangai buildings. Chicago also has some nice looking buildings. For me, these 4 cities have the most interesting skylines, from an architectural point of view.

Some cities that also have interesting buildings collections, although not so impressive as those four are: São Paulo, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Madrid, Buenos Aires and Dubai
RogerioAndrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #3
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10806

New York, then Chicago and Tokyo tied. I'd put Hong Kong, Shanghai, Moscow, and London in the next grouping. My selection is based on quality and beauty not quantity and scale. Toronto may join that list as 1 Bloor East, L Tower, and AURA all point to a raising of the bar.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; January 4th, 2010 at 08:30 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #4
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

In my opinion NYC then a small drop to Chicago and then a gigantic drop to the rest in any order. Its kind of a given being that the first two have been "collecting" quality buildings from all styles for about 100 years or so. Not really fair given they have a huge head start on everyone else. While many are already far ahead in terms of numbers I think buildings are going up in haste but there are always a few gems in each city.

My personal top 10 in each...

NYC- Chrysler, ESB, 40 Wall, Hearst, LeverHouse, Bloomberg, Woolworth, TWT, 20 exchange, Municiple. Toss up BOA

Chicago- 35 East Wacker, C&C, 2 Pru, Wrigley, Tribune, Trump, JHC, Marina Duo, Temple Building, Aqua Toss up London Guarantee

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202

Last edited by nygirl; January 14th, 2009 at 07:46 PM.
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:13 AM   #5
SilentStrike

Likes (Received): 192

so this is best individual skyscrapers? neglecting the total effect?

Then Dubai, NYC and HK. Cities like Shanghai have a nice skyline overall, but dont have as many cool, special skyscrapers like other cities.
SilentStrike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:19 AM   #6
girlicious_likeme
Some Random User

Likes (Received): 124

Dubai, for sure. BUUUTTTTT... when you put them together, Dubai doesn't form a COHESIVE skyline (just a canyon of supertalls), which is a character of a good skyline.
girlicious_likeme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:47 AM   #7
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2585

I think New York wins this hands down, followed by Chicago.
Old January 17th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #8
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Hong Kong has the best skyline and there is no doubt about it. Chicago is next, then followed by NYC. Shanghai is getting there real fast and Mumbai too. Moscow has a big leap but it may slow down due to economic crisis. I think London is fairly on the top ten but I think Paris La Defense might be fairly better.
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 05:31 AM   #9
tio jorge

Likes (Received): 2

Vancouver has the best skyline. Chicago second.
tio jorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #10
CityPolice

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
Hong Kong has the best skyline and there is no doubt about it. Chicago is next, then followed by NYC. Shanghai is getting there real fast and Mumbai too. Moscow has a big leap but it may slow down due to economic crisis. I think London is fairly on the top ten but I think Paris La Defense might be fairly better.
this isnt about skylines its about cities with the best collection of skyscrapers and NYC wins hands down. then chicago. HK shouldnt be up there. Its lack of variety doesnt match with smaller cities that have more architecture.
Old January 17th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #11
CanadianSkyScraper

Likes (Received): 39

NYC, but in the future London will have a nice collection too.
CanadianSkyScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #12
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2576

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
this isnt about skylines its about cities with the best collection of skyscrapers and NYC wins hands down. then chicago. HK shouldnt be up there. Its lack of variety doesnt match with smaller cities that have more architecture.
For Asia, HK owns! The fact the region has The BoC Tower which is one of the greatest modern skyscrapers ever built plus other iconic ones such as The HSBC building, 2-IFC, The Centre, Lippo Centre and more!

Ok HK doesn't have the classical scrapers that NY has but at the least the old BoC building is still preserved!

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #13
skyscraper100
>:

Likes (Received): 32

i think shanghai
skyscraper100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #14
zwischbl

Likes (Received): 14

New York! or what other city can beat its wide range from art deco, boring 70´s and ultra modern buildings?!!
zwischbl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #15
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

Likes (Received): 5020

New York, for sure. I think, there will be never rival for it

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.
Amrafel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #16
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

New York and Chicago - best old skyscrapers (ex: Tribune Tower, Wollworth, Chrysler, ESB)

Shanghai and Hong Kong - best modern skyscrapers (ex: Jin Mao, 2IFC, SWFC, BoC)

Dubai - really don't have a lot of great buildings for now:

- Burj al Arab
- Emirates Towers
- Burj Dubai (u/c)
- The Index (u/c)

Most of the buildings are damn unimaginative. (the better ones are not even started to rise, like Burj al Alam, The Pentominium, Damac, Trump, Lighthouse Tower)
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #17
Fakroef

Likes (Received): 482

collections of 20's, 30's - NYC
collections of 60's-70's - Chicago

Modern Ones - Shanghai, Hong Kong, Dubai is getting pretty cool as well
Fakroef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:51 AM   #18
guilparanhos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

New york, São paulo, Rio de janeiro, Chicago, Dubai, Paris, Camburiu, Hong kong, Buenos Aires
guilparanhos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 05:01 AM   #19
Abidrovia

Likes (Received): 168

Definately the North American cities like NYC and Chicago because they seem to have an even mix of skyscrapers throughout the generations.

Most Asian and Middle Eastern cities are relatively new (when it comes to skyscrapers being built) so their cities tend to lean towards modernism and have a lower variety of skyscrapers because they are mostly from the same time period.
Abidrovia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:31 AM   #20
ilovecz

Likes (Received): 15

NYC definitely wins for classic skyscrapers and variety. For collection of modern skyscrapers only, I would say Shanghai. I think for individual buildings, Shanghai is more amazing and unique than Hong Kong although Hong Kong currently has a better skyline. Shanghai's bund also has a better collection of classical buildings than anywhere Hong Kong has to offer (although they are generally not regarded as skyscrapers). Architecturally Shanghai is just the more interesting city, and continues to get better towers. I think most people would agree that SWFC in Shanghai makes more of a statement than ICC Hong Kong. And Shanghai is getting Shanghai Tower soon, one to which Hong Kong has nothing to respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokistic View Post
I know that many big cities have lot of skyscrapers and buildings and can make huge skylines. But some of those cities individual buildings are nothing to rave about. So what cities have a nice collection of 'good-looking' (your choice) buildings in their skyline? A city that you look at and you love their collection and cluster of buildings? It could be a big city or a small city too. Just list or post some photos of your personal favorite skylines. Remember, this is not about skylines impact from a distance, but more of a close up. Also the city does not have to look great at street level. This is more about the buildings architecture.

Last edited by ilovecz; January 4th, 2010 at 07:39 AM.
ilovecz no está en línea   Reply With Quote