daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #1
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

Which steel frame of a skyscraper is stronger: Concrete or Steel?

I have thought about which frame (skeleton) of a skyscraper is stronger: concrete or steel. I thought a building made out of steel was stronger because it is of a much higher quality than a building whose skeleton is made of concrete. I thought concrete is stronger because a building whose frame is made out of concrete can withstand a disaster if the frame suffers little or no damage or is weakened. So which frame of a highrise building is stronger: steel or reinforced concrete?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #2
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

As far as I see, modern designs favorite concrete , as seen in this forum. Modern concrete has all the attributes of steel, its is far cheaper, can give many more structural and aesthetic solutions, but prolongs the construction time a bit. With steel becoming more expensive due to huge increase in demand the last decade, concrete is the material of the future and its the most produced and used man made material on earth, with annual production of more than 7 cubic kilometres.
ReiAyanami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #3
Jim856796

Wait a minute. I thought steel was the material of the future. Concrete skeletons in Asia, Africa, and South America are liable to rust, especially the projects that are on hold.

Old January 17th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Lagoya

Likes (Received): 1

I think future is in combination, concrete for lower floors because it is cheaper and have great compression strenght and steel for upper floors, because its lighter.
Lagoya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #5
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

better?

steel - stronger, lighter.

concrete - cheap.

if the price of steel would be the same as concrete, only steel would be used.

a ton of steel is ~1000$

a ton of concrete is ~100$
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #6
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Building with steel is more expensive due to higher quilified working force, plus concrete has the strength to send you higher and higher.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #7
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Wait a minute. I thought steel was the material of the future. Concrete skeletons in Asia, Africa, and South America are liable to rust, especially the projects that are on hold.
Concrete is liable to rust? Do you even know what "rust" mean?
I can cheat you blind.

Old February 8th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #8
Fabrega

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
I have thought about which frame (skeleton) of a skyscraper is stronger: concrete or steel. I thought a building made out of steel was stronger because it is of a much higher quality than a building whose skeleton is made of concrete. I thought concrete is stronger because a building whose frame is made out of concrete can withstand a disaster if the frame suffers little or no damage or is weakened. So which frame of a highrise building is stronger: steel or reinforced concrete?
Well depends what kind of disaster, each material has its own strengths. If you are in a fire it would be safer to be in a concrete structure due to steel loses strength when heated, but if there was an earthquake it will be better to be in a steel building due to its flexibility were concrete will crack.

Modern concrete is the way to go in my opinion. And now with macines that build cores floor by floor and jack theirselfs up as soon as the concrete sets building time with concrete has been greatly reduced. Which was one of the main advantages of steel.
Fabrega no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #9
googleabcd

Likes (Received): 1

Guangzhou Citic Plaza,391M, currently the tallest concrete structure in the world and one of the strongest buildings in the world.

googleabcd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 01:50 AM   #10
mihai_alex

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
That's dumb...does concrete rust?
The new "concrete" buildings are a combination between concrete and steel,the concrete wouldn't hold without the steel inside the blocks.
mihai_alex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #11
Jim856796

You're right. Concrete does not rust. Rain probably contributes to all the darker-coloured areas in a concrete frame. In South America, Asia, and Africa, we have to build skyscrapers and other structures out of reinforced concrete because there is not much steel in those areas.

Old May 27th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #12
AK Anthony
Construction CA

Likes (Received): 2

Hybrid/Composite construction is the way of the future i believe, even if an expensive avenue at this present time.

The other things that might contribute to darker coloured concrete members revolve around the design/construction issues such as form/additives/curing/drip grooves/compaction, etc. There's simply so many things to be wary of when detailing concrete yet alone an entire frame.
AK Anthony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #13
Backstrom
Neanderthal

Likes (Received): 0

Concrete can't have all the attributes of steel. Ferroconcrete or not, strength in steel will always be tensile dominant, and in concrete compression dominant. I like Lagoya's idea. A mixture may end up satisfying our needs.
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #14
Welshlad
Socialogically Diseased

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
better?

steel - stronger, lighter.

concrete - cheap.

if the price of steel would be the same as concrete, only steel would be used.

a ton of steel is ~1000$

a ton of concrete is ~100$
You are fairly off the mark here. Its not as clear cut as that, by the time you have added in form work and reinforcing steel it is not that much less than steel, in some situations it can even cost more. Also you are comparing prices by ton, but you will need far more concrete than steel.

Steel would not be chosen everytime, you are forgetting that concrete has got a lot of favourable qualities over steel such as inherent mass damping, acoustic damping and fire resistance etc. Also there is a lot of new concretes coming out like fibre reinforced and super high strength frc which are incredibly stron and expensive!

Last edited by Welshlad; May 30th, 2009 at 02:21 PM.
Welshlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:11 AM   #15
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5224

Isnt Burj Dubai the world's tallest concrete structure?

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:16 PM   #16
AltinD
The Modecator

Why, is there an even taller steel structure?

Seriously though, the reinforced concrete structure goes up to the height of 587.5 meters and above that till the top of the spire at 818 meters, it's a steel structure.
I can cheat you blind.

Old May 31st, 2009, 11:33 PM   #17
Rodrigo21
Ich liebe autos

Likes (Received): 435

In Chile many buildings are made of reinforced concrete, and our two tallest (under construction) of 200m and 300m high are being built with concrete too. Considering that Chile is a seismic country concrete has worked really well in our buildings.
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:01 AM   #18
Architorture
Professional

either structural system can be designed to be just as strong as the other... it comes down to a matter of design and cost...

typically you choose a system based upon some criteria for the building, program, location, costs, labor force, etc that push you in a particular direction...

we see a lot of concrete structures these days mostly due to cost, location and labor force... concrete production can be done just about anywhere in the world and although it is very labor intensive for custom formwork work, it can be very cheap when you are repeating floor plates and not site building all the forms....combine this with an unskilled extremely cheap work force and it becomes a no brainer to use concrete instead of steel...

at the end of the day either can work as well as the other, each has some distinct advantages but none are so great that the other cannot do the very same thing...

it comes down to design and economics
Architorture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:12 AM   #19
backupcoolm4n
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

definitely steel, but it also varies, depending on if you mean overall or on the basis of certain types of stresses, with the combination of steel and concrete, buildings can withstand more stresses. steel is good for tension, but concrete is good for compression, for this reason a mix of the two makes a super strong building
backupcoolm4n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:44 PM   #20
el casanovas
Hourloupe

It depends on WHERE you're building. It all boils down to economics really.
el casanovas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
steel