daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2009, 03:48 AM   #1
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6533

Montréal - Cold...... and warm!

I have some photos to post from my last weekend in Montréal... the weather was very, very cold (went down to -20c one night), but the skies were brilliantly sunny. The first part of my tour here is a walk through the Gay Village, which is about 2 km due East of the downtown core. I started at the western edge of the village, and walked to the eastern end. Let us begin!!

the village is slowly shifting a bit to the East, and this end is not as "gay" as it used to be 20 years ago.

a handsome old bank building. This part of town has never been wealthy, but I do get the feeling it was a prosperous working class neighbourhood a century ago:

Here is one nasty spot I am glad finally closed. A most unsavoury crowd loitered here:

A leading local drag Queen, Mado (which is a diminutive term for "Madeleine")
has her own bar now:

Poor Mado looks very, very cold!

I am going to post more photos now! Stay tuned...............

Last edited by Taller, Better; January 15th, 2009 at 04:06 AM.
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 15th, 2009, 04:05 AM   #2
Taller, Better
Administrator

Fierce go-go boots!

sidestreets still quite snowy:

Quite a few of the buildings in the village could use a bit of repair work:

Stock Bar, where I spent a most enjoyable evening!! In fact, my reception was so very warm
that I completely forgot how very cold it was outdoors!

one of the hazards of very cold weather is burst water mains. This one broke the night I arrived, and their was a flood of icy, slushy water:

Beaudry Metro Station (subway):

a handsome commercial building from the turn of the century:

Sky Bar, one of the most popular bars on the strip:

This is a bit of a bizarre complex, theoretically inspired by New Orleans.

and it stretches out for the better part of a city block:

I will next post some photos from Old Montréal, which is my very favourite part of the city!
Old January 15th, 2009, 04:22 AM   #3
Jaborandi

Likes (Received): 19

[QUOTE=Taller, Better;30761030]
Poor Mado looks very, very cold!

Brrrr!! And now, thanks to you, DQs all over the world will be trying to accessorize with icicles. Chilly but great tour TB! Merci.
Jaborandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #4
Taller, Better
Administrator

LOL! Avec plaisir, monsieur! Pauvre Mado!! She is freezing her butt off!

Jaborandi, was this the area near which you stayed when you were last in Montréal?

Old January 15th, 2009, 05:22 AM   #5
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 578

nice picture set, Mod
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #6
monkeyronin
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґơɲiɲ

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
A leading local drag Queen, Mado (which is a diminutive term for "Madeleine")
has her own bar now:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2.../IMGP6883i.jpg
Hey, is this her??
image hosted on flickr

I was told on SSP that the lady in pink was a well-known Montreal drag queen...
monkeyronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #7
Taller, Better
Administrator

I think that is Mado, come to think of it! Nice find!

Tomorrow I post the pics of Old Montreal.. . some taken in daylight, and some very
pretty night shots.

Last edited by Taller, Better; January 15th, 2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #8
Aaron W

Likes (Received): 7

Great photos. I very much enjoyed viewing them.
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #9
Luis80
The peoples champ!

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better;30761700/IMGP6894i.jpg[/IMG

This is a bit of a bizarre complex, theoretically inspired by New Orleans.

It looks more bizarre in the summer time. The first time i drove by this place it was summer time and there was some sort of event going on, that place was packed! The village is one of MTLs most interesting places when it comes to buildings. nice pics!
Luis80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #10
MexiQuebecois
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 44

Ahhh The Gay Village, I still remember the first time I went to Montreal like if it was yesterday, I arrived from Toronto at the bus terminal and I meant to walk west toward my hostel at Mackay; I got lost and ended up on Boul. de Maisonneuve walking east for like 3 kilometres, when I noticed I was kinda lost I turned on some random street and ended up in Ste. Catherine E. so my first promenade in Montreal was kinda "Gay" LOL endless supply of sex shops, peep shows, XXX cinemas, bars, clubs, and cozy little cafés.... coming from a different city and as my first time in a Gay Village this was somewhat new and shocking to me, but it was also here where I found some of the nicest people in Montreal nonetheless Amazing experience!

THANK YOU for bringing back memories TB, I sure miss those times! Keep them coming
MexiQuebecois no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #11
Jaborandi

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post

Jaborandi, was this the area near which you stayed when you were last in Montréal?

Yep, my hotel was across the street and a little more modest than that grande dame. Isn't it a treat!!! Thanks for posting TB
Jaborandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #12
Mishevy
Smelly cat...

Likes (Received): 6

From these pics the Gay Village doesn't look so much gay.
Old January 15th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #13
Taller, Better
Administrator

LOL! Oh it is gay... very gay. I think to an extent the village has had to cope with a radical drop in American tourism over the past five years, and I think most of the bars have hung in there quite well, despite the lower traffic. Some of them I have no idea how they stay open but they seem to carry on. Over the past 25 years I've seen the village rise and fall to various degrees, and it always comes back after a low period. I think now is a bit of a low period, with the number of empty buildings and spaces for rent. The village itself is migrating slowly a tiny bit eastward. But things will bounce back in a year or two.... they always do!

More piccies today, and this time of my very favourite part of Montréal - Old Montréal, or Vieux-Montréal . Every winter is most definitely off-season for Vieux-Montréal, and many of the shops and restaurants close for the winter, to reopen during the summer.

Here is the Court of Appeal ( la Cour d’appel de Montréal):

How is this for a spectacular Classical entrance?

and across the street:

As some folk here know by now, I am a huge fan of Colonial Architecture... and this very early stone style (from around 1800) is amongst my favourite:

The earliest architecture in Montreal is colonial from France, but into the 19th century the influence of the British grew to the point much of the Victorian architecture in Montreal is either of British style, French style, or a hybrid mixture. Here is a handsome Nelson Monument:

Montreal City Hall (Hôtel de ville), which is having some restorations done to it. Montreal is very good at upkeep and restoration of its historical architecture, and sets an example for the rest of Canadian cities:

This is a very important structure in Old Montreal, and in fact one of the oldest standing. It was built in 1705, and is the Chateau Ramezay, built as the home of the governor of Montréal, Claude de Ramezay. For a short period of 188 days, between 1775-76, Montreal fell under control of the Americans, and Chateau Ramezay became the headquarters for the Continental Army. Benjamin Franklin stayed overnight there once in 1776, trying to convince the French Canadian population to switch allegiance to the United States, but unfortunately for them the response was not
very enthusiastic. The British regained control soon after. However, one thing Benjamin Franklin did for Montreal was to introduce the art of printing, which eventually lead to the start of the Montreal Gazette (begun as La Gazette de Montréal in 1785) :

This is a magnificent old public building, le Marché Bonsecours (1847).
It has been converted into a kind of specialty shopping mall::

one of the most picturesque corners:

looking toward downtown:

Last edited by Taller, Better; January 15th, 2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old January 15th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #14
Taller, Better
Administrator

This is one of my very favourite churches in Montreal... it is not the largest, but it is the oldest site of worship in the city. The original building was started in 1657, and unfortunately burned down at one time. Eventually the building we see now was rebuilt in 1771. It looked much simpler then, and many additions have been put on since, to reflect the changing tastes of the congregation. The final touches were applied around 1893, and the church that we see today is pretty much the same as then:

It has become known as The Sailor's Church, due to its proximity on the old port. Sailors in the 19th century believed Notre-Dame de Bon Secours protected them, and it became their place of worship.

it is very cold out, so let's go in to warm up!

I love to visit older churches, as there is such a feeling of calm serenity:

On this day I did something I had never done before... I went for the tour of the church towers, and of the Musée Marguerite-Bourgeoys, which is a charming little museum chock full of treasures:

Up, up, up the tiny winding wooden staircase to see these breathtaking winter views:

throngs enjoying a nice Sunday skate on an outdoor rink:

inside the Belvedere:

and probably my favourite photo of the day:

I respected the signs in the museum not to take photographs, so sadly am not able
to reveal any of the wonders within. They found little inscribed lead tablets placed in the cornerstone back in 1657 when they did some archaeological examinations of the remains of the original foundation. I would love to have photographed these things, but you will have to visit for yourself to see them! Next we go back outdoors, now that we are thoroughly warmed up! We wave goodbye to Our Lady of Good Help:

Time to break this up into a few entries...

tempus edax rerum

Vaidas liked this post

Last edited by Taller, Better; January 15th, 2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old January 15th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #15
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 66269

Very nice -Montreal- pics Taller, Better really a great work
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #16
Taller, Better
Administrator

I wandered about Old Montreal:

souvenir shops:

Another very important historical building, Le Vieux Séminaire de Saint-Sulpice (the old semenary of Saint-Sulpice). It is the oldest stone dwelling in Montreal, and was begun way back in 1685. It was a very prestigious building at the time, thus was constructed of stone, and not the much cheaper wood used for the other buildings in the fledgling colony. It is currently undergoing an extensive restoration:

We are now at the Place d'Armes, which is the very heart of Montreal, and a great public space. We approach the Notre-Dame Basilica (La basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal). It shares a name with the famous cathedral in Paris, but was not modelled on it. Construction of this lavish Gothic style basilica began in 1829, and boasts the largest bell (le Gros Bourdon) in North America.

This lovely statue from 1895 commemorates the founder of Montreal, as he
may have appeared in 1642- Paul de Chomedey de Maisonneuve.

the base of the statue depicts the First Nations peoples (the Iroquois tribe), and also the early pioneers of the city:

and a faithful dog!

looking back at Notre Dame:

there are two lovely old "skyscrapers" on the square... the one on the right is a handsome art deco tower, and the one on the left was the first "skyscraper" in Montreal (and probably all of Canada), The New York Life Building, built in 1885. It boasted an elevator to the top floor, which was extremely progressive for the day:

and one of the most beautiful banking halls in all of Canada, the 1847 Bank of Montreal:

and one final corner of the square, before we move on!

tempus edax rerum

chambre12 liked this post

Last edited by Taller, Better; January 15th, 2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old January 15th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #17
Taller, Better
Administrator

Next we head down rue Saint-Jacques, an old street dating from 1672, that became the financial centre of Montreal in Victorian times. During the 1800's it was the financial heart of Canada, and was known as St James Street. One might say it was, at the time, Canada's version of "Wall Street". Grandiose head office towers rose in the late 1800's, to make this an extremely prestigious business address:

a grim little doorway that always catches my eye! Looks like a crypt:

a few of these charming old buildings have been converted into luxe hotels:

awe-inspiring banking temples:

While on this street, let's go into le Centre de Commerce Mondial de Montréal, which I think is the most beautiful contemporary space in Montreal. It is connected to the Square Victoria metro station.

I am very fond of the statue at the head of the reflection pool. She is Amphitrite,
wife of Poseidon (God of the Sea), and she was once the centrepiece of a fountain in
Saint Mihiel, a town on the Meuse in Northern France. She was the work of a French sculptor Dieudonné-Barthélémy Guibal (1699-1757):

And then I'll make one final entry of photos!

Last edited by Taller, Better; January 15th, 2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old January 15th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #18
Taller, Better
Administrator

I was extremely cold and tired by this time, so took a half an hour to warm up, and then gamely headed out for one last batch of pictures. By now the sun had just set, leaving a lovely, clear dark blue sky for my pictures. As cold as I was, I could not help but enjoy taking this last round of snaps (although I did walk a bit faster than normal! ). For me taking pictures in Old Montreal is a labour of love. Unfortunately the use of a tripod was out of the question, due to the extreme cold, so some of the pictures are not as clear as they might have otherwise been:

my favourite office tower of all on Rue Saint-Jacques, now a gorgeous
boutique hotel, the Hotel Le St-James:

I am now heading back toward Place d'Armes, which takes on a magical fairytale appearance once the sun goes down:

I can just picture the early settlers walking through the snow down these streets:

and finally back to our old Sailor's Church:

It may surprise us to learn that in the mid 1700's France greatly undervalued this colony of New France, being more absorbed in wars of its own at the time (such as the exhausting and expensive Seven Year's War). The great 18th Century writer Voltaire rather summed up the prevailing attitude of the time and dismissed New France as "Quelques arpents de neige" (a few acres of snow), referring to it thusly in several letters between 1753 and 1763. It was felt New France has little economic potential and strategic importance to France. At one point, Voltaire derisively referred to Canada as "a country covered with snows and ices eight months of the year, inhabited by barbarians, bears and beavers". I think we can safely say, with hindsight, how wrong that attitude in France was at the time, but being very preoccupied with events overseas at the time, France signed the Treaty of Paris in 1763, ceding power of New France to Britain.

I hope you have enjoyed my little tour of my winter weekend in Montreal as much as I enjoyed photographing it!

tempus edax rerum

silassabino liked this post

Last edited by Taller, Better; January 15th, 2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old January 16th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #19
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Likes (Received): 12

Thank you for the pictures, TB - they definitely go along with the title - never has cold looked so damn warm.

Just wondering - did you lug around a tripod at nighttime (and during the day for the church interior shots)? They came out very well!

PS - I know what you mean about that corner. It's just so bloody picturesque
Old January 16th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #20
Taller, Better
Administrator

Thank you!! No, I did not use a tripod.. it takes way too much time when it is cold out, but you get such a nicer picture with a tripod. I put my iso to the maximum of 1600 and just hoped for the best, but the pics are slightly grainy. Also, I meant to put in some interior shots of Notre Dame that I took last summer... this time when I went in, a church service was in progress, and no photography is allowed at that time.

and two photos I took almost two years ago exactly from now... through a kind
of dirty hotel window looking toward downtown:

tempus edax rerum

chambre12 liked this post