daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 16th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #21
potto

Likes (Received): 1942

ok this proposal is resi therefore it will be slender. It appears extremely thin against the most important views of the Shard, that is from the East and West mainly from the bridges and South bank (although the south bank view is so dense from low rise interest that i doubt even a fatter building would make much difference to the Shard). I would therefore imagine this having an absolute minimal impact on how the Shard will appear in command of the skyline.

From a North South view of the shard this proposal will look fatter but there is some clever shaking up of the massing going on there with the dynamic verticals and the tapering top. From the North the main view will be from Tower of London and the North Bank and St Pauls. The view from St Pauls will clearly be dominated by the shard. The view from the North Bank and Tower of London less so. But then these are not particularly great vantage points anyway and should be allowed therefore to be fluid.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 16th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #22
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1738

I expect they will be quite similar in design to this H&dM proposal in Switzerland.

DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #23
Frankus Maximus

Likes (Received): 78

I think I'll reserve judgement until a decent render becomes available. Still, I have no objection to a development of this height and scale in the proposed location. Also, further talls stepping down southwards from the Shard seem to make perfect sense to me.
Frankus Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #24
Octoman
Just Relax

Likes (Received): 2826

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
It looks like a stack of beer cans that's about to fall over.
Its hard to tell from this diagram but if the renders follow the shape religiously I would tend to agree with you.
Octoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #25
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 188

Its unfortunate that our first image of this proposal is so "childish". The location suggests that the towers will not impact views of the Shard from the river or from the north and west. I expect the heights of the towers to be reduced down and that the Shard will not lose its primacy, and the cluster is interesting conceptually. Its also good that this is not on the river front but is south of the rail viaduct, where relatively little development has been occuring relative to that north of the viaduct.

Lets look forward to better renders of this proposal. Also, as discussed elsewhere, there is much continuing confidence to build high rise residential in central London despite the economic times. Once the economic correction has bottomed out in 2-3 years, many more high rise residentials may be popping up in Southark and Lambeth.

Last edited by Black Cat; January 16th, 2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: minor edit of phrasing
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #26
london lad

Likes (Received): 486

Bear in mind the pic is not official image just a conceptual mock up done by bd online. The shape might be similar & the massing but thats about it.

As has been mentioned I don't think these will detract on the main views of LBT which are generally from the North & West from within Central London. This towers , being residential would appear quite slender from this angle. The only site that would potentially block the view of LBT would be the New London Bridge Site and although a rival developer was working up a 250m+ KPF tower that was soon nipped in the bud when Sellar et al bought the site & are now going to build the (IMO dull) gem.

Apart from the site of this proposal & possibly Colechurch House ( the nasty 70,s block with the walkway from LB station to London Bridge I can't really see to many other sites for potential highrises as most of Tooley St has already been redeveloped with More London etc. London Bridge station it self will see that large 8-10 story block but thats all I can really think of.

I wonder if EH will use the 'ruin views of tower of London' excuse they gave for LBT as these would appear closer than LBT.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #27
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
I wonder if EH will use the 'ruin views of tower of London' excuse they gave for LBT as these would appear closer than LBT.
No doubt there are an unfortunate few in the legal dept of EH who are salivating at the prospect.
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #28
Bottlefall

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Of cource they will. I can read their minds now:
"...gastly,inappropriate,unnecessary...." -the same spam over and over again.
However with the Shard so close these might get through.Some 3D renders are needed thought.
Bottlefall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #29
Comdot
Taikun

Likes (Received): 24

if this is taking up that series of plots east of guy's, i would say there will be more applications for residentials directly south and west of these h&dm towers and these towers will be the pinnacle.

i would hazard a guess that the h&dm towers will be bounded by snowsfields, st thomas st, and weston street and that everything in that triangle would be leveled.
Comdot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #30
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1738

Quite ironic they ditched the Daleks and now we're getting the even taller Cybermen. UNESCO won't be happy.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #31
randolph

Likes (Received): 65

It is also ironic that people seem to want to 'protect' the views of the shard before it is even built! Not to mention protect it from other skyscrapers!! I would welcome this, as I would welcome a cluster at London Bridge - A potentially very tall cluster!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiwfnLf-MN0
randolph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #32
Megalothian
Blood, sweat, gravy, egg.

Likes (Received): 93

Excellent news, fantastic architects and a more than suitable hight...

A decent re-clad of Guys Hospital could well be the key to pulling this potential cluster together, can't wait to see any future renders...
Megalothian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #33
Tony Resta
T-Stays

Likes (Received): 25

As much as im excited, im also sad because we all know that EH and other groups will give it all they got to end this.

Tony Resta | Official Website
Tony Resta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #34
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 227

no other towers here's please.. not even if they're designed by uber-architects like this, lol.
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #35
twilight_2008

Likes (Received): 1

Hmm, very exciting. Im not going to judge this because there aren't any proper renderings around at the moment. I can see this getting through planning. English Heritage can't moan about the height as The Shard is nearby.
I think that Shard is going to be like One Canada Square in ways. The Shard was obviously going to attract neighbours, just like 1CS, which was once planned to stand by itself but now it is its own Cluster, and I think that is what will happen with The Shard, it is the start of a new cluster of skyscrapers for London.

Really look foward to seeing the official unveiling next month.
twilight_2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #36
jayo

Likes (Received): 0

Very excited
Old January 16th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #37
Medo

Likes (Received): 355

I wonder if they are stuck together or really really close to each other. I would prefer if they were separate towers.
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #38
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1865

I like Herzog & de Meurons work so Im sure they going to produce something nice.
Old January 16th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #39
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Likes (Received): 0

So when are they unveiled? (Excuse me if i am being stupid, just can't see it written anywhere!) I can't wait to see some renders of the cluster, especially at night!.
bobalania no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #40
delores

Likes (Received): 178

I can see another pointless public enquiry on the way. English Heritage saying the building ruins a view of St pauls from an obscure road in bermondsy no one knew about.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, southwark

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: