daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 16th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #41
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1744

The only place in Bermondsey from which you can see St Pauls is a small road off Borough Market.

Sponsored Links

Old January 16th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #42
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1526

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
The only place in Bermondsey from which you can see St Pauls is a small road off Borough Market.
Thinking about it I wonder if this will block St Pauls in the protected view from Greenwich Park, the reason why More London is a flat skyline. Kiss goodbye forever if it does.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #43
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1744

Lol wait Borough Market is not in Bermondsey....you cant see St Pauls from Bermondsey at all unless youre on the riverfront.
Old January 16th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #44
Splish

Likes (Received): 262

I'm a bit lost for words actually, I would never be one to oppose a H&M design as i'm sure it'll be of the highest quality and look superb, but on the other hand I had always imagined the Shard standing by itself (bar Guys), and the idea these new towers could 'steal some of the Shards thunder' makes me feel uneasy.

A silly feeling though as i'm sure towers will eventually spring up in this area anyway
Splish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #45
maughr

Likes (Received): 0

I can't wait for it to be unveiled officially, I hope the model is a rough guide and the renders are stunning and the perfect Shard compliment, they should be since they must have been designed with the Shard in mind. There is no reason for the Shard to stand alone, this is a skyscraper website, the more high quality scrapers that compliment each other the better.
maughr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #46
jimbo

Likes (Received): 5

ummm, yikes, isn't this the site of the old BPP Accountancy College that has the immigration offices on the first couple of floors.

Jeepers, quite a concept and what a time to launch it. Personally hard to make judgement until decent renders released, but I also think the Shard will look all the better for standing alone.....although that isn't a reason for not pushing on with tall developments.

Something to keep an eye on in 2009.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #47
Comdot
Taikun

Likes (Received): 24

from the river, the shard will still look WAY bigger than anything built near it, because everything will have to be built slightly behind it, due to the railway.
i can't see it being possible building anything to the north of it, the west of it, or the east of it.

am i making sense.
Comdot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #48
BorderBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
It looks like a stack of beer cans that's about to fall over.
hardly a fair judgement of what is obviously a childish sketch. It will have little in common with the renders when we see 'em. H and M are reliably world class - I'm quite sure they won't f*** this up!
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #49
dom

Likes (Received): 7

Will, you might think Moscow is part of Europe. I've been all the way across Russia and it feels very sui generis to me. its a Euro-Asian bizarre yet fascinating cyrillic hybrid.
Old January 17th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #50
Manuel

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
Thinking about it I wonder if this will block St Pauls in the protected view from Greenwich Park, the reason why More London is a flat skyline. Kiss goodbye forever if it does.
No I think the corridor is further north, north of the railway viaduct.
But if Boris insists on re-widening the viewing corridors then we should worry...
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #51
tonkster

Likes (Received): 1

The Shard should stand alone.
tonkster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #52
LiamF1

This could be very interesting and as a lot have been saying H&dM are good architects. Not an area where I expected the next proposals to come from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
I expect they will be quite similar in design to this H&dM proposal in Switzerland.

If it's anything like that it would be fantastic in my view. Really starting to pull together some daring modern buildings of high quality. I guess we can't really say much until we see a proper render, but it's an exciting development.
LiamF1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #53
london lad

Likes (Received): 427

The site & surrounding area.

Last edited by london lad; January 18th, 2009 at 02:04 PM.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #54
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 237

Isnt it funny looking at the scale of some of those buildings and thinking you would just never notice it from ground level.

Is it pure coincidence that a mans Scrotum resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:31 AM   #55
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Smoggie- I bet you wish you went to the pre-christmas meeting when he would have got a sneaky peak at these
)
Gutted mate, I missed out on a scoop by being out on a date that night instead!

Very interesting indeed, being a resident of Bermondsey Street and a member of the Bermondsey Street Area Partnership, I expect I'll be canvassed for my opinions on it soon.

My major concern is what impact it will have on the wait to get a pint in the Woolpack on a Friday night. It is already stretched to capacity at the moment and I hope that the developers have taken this huge inconvenience to local residents into consideration!
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #56
palaceboy1234

Uks Tallest Residential Planned Near The Shard
Published on 19-01-2009

Leading purveyors of organic architecture, Herzog & de Meuron, are working on a collection of tall residential buildings for Sellar Properties that will stand near the London Bridge Tower site adding to their collection of potential tall buildings.

Called Three Houses because of the triple nature of the project massing, it will contain 380 apartments, plus a luxury hotel. The three towers in it will if they go ahead as currently planned, reach 250 metres, 200 metres and 100 metres with 65, 55 and 31 floors making the biggest of them comfortably the tallest residential building in the UK.

Herzog & de Meuron's design is said to resemble the Roche Tower in Switzerland in terms of being split into a series of tube shaped vertical sections with a clear demarcation between each.

The closeness of the proposal to the Shard, particularly when viewed from the north, faces changing the "lone spire" concept Piano dreamed up for it and ruining the primacy the Shard would have on the London skyline.

There will no doubt be significant opposition - not least from heritage bodies who always felt the Shard was the end of a thin wedge and now they will have to swallow more.

This all makes it likely that the proposals, still at the consultation state, will change over time just as Ian Simpson's planned tower was slimmed down bit by bit from over 220 metres tall to 160 something today.
palaceboy1234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #57
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comdot View Post
if this is taking up that series of plots east of guy's, i would say there will be more applications for residentials directly south and west of these h&dm towers and these towers will be the pinnacle.
I doubt this very much, there aren't really any suitable sites around the area until you get to Southwark Street west of Borough Market, this was the obvious site for such a huge scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comdot View Post
i would hazard a guess that the h&dm towers will be bounded by snowsfields, st thomas st, and weston street and that everything in that triangle would be leveled.
I suspect the site will be the area enclosed by St Thomas Street, Weston Street, Snowsfield to the east and Melior Street to the south. There are some interesting old buildings between Snowsfield and Melior Street including a church, and an old pub (The Horseshoe).

If that is the site then it all either empty space or tired, crappy 60's 70's buildings with the exception of a lovely old warehouse at the end of Vinegar Yard. I suspect that Sellar Properties aim to demolish it and that I would protest against very strongly. Will be interesting to see more detailed plans and renders.

I suspect however that nothing will happen with this scheme until the Shard is completed unless the economy seriously picks up in the next year or so.
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #58
randolph

Likes (Received): 64

I would love this scheme to be built. It, following on from the Shard could help kick start a whole new South Bank.. So much of the South Bank is poor and drab. These shemes could free up the whole area for tall and exiting development. Both this and the Shard would be of a very high quality and could only add to London. I really don't understand the 'Shard must stand alone' attitude. London is the the city of change- no where needs it more than the southern side of the Thames.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiwfnLf-MN0
randolph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #59
london lad

Likes (Received): 427

Smog, you know the area so you reckon you could get some ground level pics. From what I remember of the area its mostly office blocks, some council estates & a pub with an outdoor area.

Nothing on the planning pages. Would've thought they would have lodged a scoping opinion by now if they intend to announce this to great fanfare next month.However interestingly another tower proposal has ad a scoping opinion by Investream on a site right next door to this, LBT & Guys.

CAPITAL HOUSE, 42 WESTON STREET, LONDON SE1 3QD
Proposal: Screening Opinion for the demolition of Capital House and the construction of a 15954 sqm (GEA), 28 storey building for use as student accommodation tower

This pic the LDA worked up under Ken shows how Waterloo & London Bridge were planned as clusters. Looking at the London Bridge cluster it pretty much shows the sites mentioned both for the H&M towers & the 28 fl one proposed above.

Last edited by london lad; January 19th, 2009 at 10:26 PM.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #60
BorderBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkster View Post
The Shard should stand alone.
Pro-skyscraper equivalent of an EH objection

Tags
london, southwark

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: