daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 20th, 2009, 03:45 AM   #61
Zedferret
DAMNED

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkster View Post
The Shard should stand alone.
I would agree if the area around the shard was clear, like the Eiffel Tower, but its a craphole and already in a cluster with Guy's Tower.
Zedferret no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 20th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #62
london lad

Likes (Received): 427

Sellar to develop London Bridge ‘tower cluster’
propertyweek
08:57 | 20.01.09

By Deirdre Hipwell

Irvine Sellar’s Sellar Property Group has unveiled plans to develop a cluster of towers around London Bridge Station.

The company has appointed Swiss architects Hertzog & De Meuron to design a mixed-use development, codenamed Project 3 Houses, comprising three towers. It will be located next to the Renzo Piano-designed Shard and London Bridge Quarter, which is scheduled for completion in 2012.

Sellar said Project 3 Houses is the second phase of his masterplan for the area around London Bridge and is part of a long term commitment to the regeneration of the area.

He said the new development will address failings in the immediate urban landscape around St Thomas Street and Bermondsey Street by creating new public space and regenerating an existing park. It also includes plans for a new cinema, public Lido, shops, cafes, bars and the regeneration of a local school.

Sellar also plans to work with Guys Hospital on a regeneration programme for key areas of the 30 acre hospital site.

Sellar Property group is currently consulting with local stakeholders and relevant bodies before the project is submitted for formal planning approval in early 2009.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #63
hellolazyness

Likes (Received): 2

This could be very exciting. I can't wait until we start seeing some proper renders. I wonder what will be done about St Guy's? Will anything be done about the tower? Seems like spending a lot on a refurb might not go down too well in these pressing times for government money
hellolazyness no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #64
twilight_2008

Likes (Received): 1

Exciting! Regeneration of Guys being planned, and then these potentially fantastic towers joining Britains tallest building. How lucky Southwark is going to be!
twilight_2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #65
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Smog, you know the area so you reckon you could get some ground level pics. From what I remember of the area its mostly office blocks, some council estates & a pub with an outdoor area.
Yup no worries mate, will get the camera out this weekend. You remember right, I'm still not entirely sure what the site boundaries are but it's pretty much all derelict land if it is the site I expect.

Quote:
Sellar to develop London Bridge ‘tower cluster’
propertyweek
08:57 | 20.01.09

By Deirdre Hipwell

He said the new development will address failings in the immediate urban landscape around St Thomas Street and Bermondsey Street by creating new public space and regenerating an existing park.
Hmm, now this I'm not sure about, I'm all for public spaces but this sounds like developer spin to me, there is no shortage of public space around the area, Guy Street Park, Tanner Street Park and Leathermarket Gardens are all nice little public parks with the former 2 including public tennis courts and a basketball court respectively. Slightly further afield Bermondsey Square is an exemplary urban space. The Lido sounds like an absolute nonsense idea, Leathermarket Gardens is perfectly pleasant as it is and as for a cinema, there is an arthouse cinema opening up in Bermondsey Square.

I would suggest that Sellar needs to find other community benefits to focus upon cos I suspect that this will have a seriously rough ride through planning. The good folk of Bermondsey Street have already got the plans for the Recall site rejected a couple of times and I doubt that this scheme will go down well at its current height.
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #66
london lad

Likes (Received): 427

Quote:

CAPITAL HOUSE, 42 WESTON STREET, LONDON SE1 3QD
Proposal: Screening Opinion for the demolition of Capital House and the construction of a 15954 sqm (GEA), 28 storey building for use as student accommodation tower
The application report confusingly mentions a 28 storey building but then says it will be no more than 25 storeys. One instance mentions a height of 96m & another 98m.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 08:37 PM   #67
wawd

Likes (Received): 7

article from today's londonpaper:

image hosted on flickr
Old January 21st, 2009, 08:38 PM   #68
wawd

Likes (Received): 7

encouraging to see the towers are described fairly positively...
Old January 21st, 2009, 08:49 PM   #69
fitz44

Likes (Received): 12

"The Breadsticks"? That's sooo bad.
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:41 PM   #70
Splish

Likes (Received): 262

Better than 'The Wonky Tri-Cock' someone came out with earlier.
Splish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 10:16 PM   #71
twilight_2008

Likes (Received): 1

The 'Breadsticks', different, although I personally have never seen Breadsticks that shape before. I see absolutely no excuse for these to be redesigned or shortened or refused, as London Bridge Tower is literally down the road, taller and just as modern if not more so.
twilight_2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 10:26 PM   #72
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1545

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight_2008 View Post
I see absolutely no excuse for these to be redesigned or shortened or refused, as London Bridge Tower is literally down the road, taller and just as modern if not more so.
If only it was that easy. We've all been in this situation numerous times before, and usually it ends up with the NIMBYs failing but only after inflicting height and design damage. I'm neither positive or negative about this proposal at this stage. I also wouldn't want to be Boris at this point; wouldn't it be ironic that his downfall might be the one issue we discuss here daily - London's skyscraper proposals.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 10:26 PM   #73
wjfox
Save the bees!

Likes (Received): 5309

"... conservationists fear that the character and architectural integrity of London Bridge will be lost."

Most of the area is a hideous concrete dump, which looks like it's been abandoned for the last 40 years.
wjfox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 10:38 PM   #74
jayo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
"... conservationists fear that the character and architectural integrity of London Bridge will be lost."

Most of the area is a hideous concrete dump, which looks like it's been abandoned for the last 40 years.
You can say that again.
What would you prefer to see as a tourist,dilapidated warehouses and 60's offices or gleaming skyscrapers? And plus at the end of the day its really going to boost the economy and bring business to the area as-well as existing businesses being better off with more customers.
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:24 PM   #75
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Quote:

That's rubbish Will, have you been down Bermondsey Street, Weston Street, Leathermarket Street, Tanner Street etc? The area is absolutely chockful of old warehouse and other historic buildings. It's one of the most interesting areas of London imo which is why I choose to live here.
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:28 PM   #76
Manuel

Likes (Received): 15

It is so frustrating to see how they managed to reduce the bulk of Big Ben compared to say, Swiss Re or 1CS on that paper. The first step for manipulating public opinion.

Old January 21st, 2009, 11:42 PM   #77
BorderBoy

Likes (Received): 0

is there really a market for these for the foreseeable future?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:07 AM   #78
potto

Likes (Received): 1632

Quote:

potto está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:09 AM   #79
potto

Likes (Received): 1632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie_Si View Post
That's rubbish Will, have you been down Bermondsey Street, Weston Street, Leathermarket Street, Tanner Street etc? The area is absolutely chockful of old warehouse and other historic buildings. It's one of the most interesting areas of London imo which is why I choose to live here.
nothing there that will lose its 'integrity' though
potto está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:14 AM   #80
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1545

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderBoy View Post
is there really a market for these for the foreseeable future?
Why ever wouldn't there be? This isn't going up tomorrow...
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, southwark

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: