daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #981
kerouac1848

Likes (Received): 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnapan View Post
There are plenty of uses of the word 'village' in an urban context. But frankly, it's irrelevant. They might as well have just said 'neighbourhood'. What they want to preserve is those elements which make them feel good about where they live. Even if, in the end, other needs outweigh theirs, it's very easy to understand why residents defend the places they live. Isn't it?
The problem is that whilst it may be understandable it's often completely hypocritical, for the simple reason that in so many instances people to flock an area, completely or extensively change the locality, pushing out older communities, before seeking to artificially stop said area from changing further. As such it becomes difficult to really understand - in the sense of sympathising - with such local action groups. The fact housing has now become such hot and emotive issue only makes this worse.

Even then, it probably wouldn't be so bad if a reasonable plan to 'protect' the area was put forth, rather than the absurd idea of a 5-story limit around a major central London rail terminal.
kerouac1848 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 27th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #982
cnapan

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by 486 View Post
With all due respect, the fabric of the landscape is not eternal and it must bend to population (therefore density) requirements. I guess if you want a view from your window that will endure, the countryside is the best bet, but even there nothing is guaranteed.
Let me be clear. The only thing I'm irritated by in this discussion is the belittling of people to deal with their argument.

I agree that it's probably wishful thinking to be able to hold back the tide of development in that neck of the woods, but I'd defend the right of anyone to make their argument and be heard. All of us at some time face the prospect of something we cherish being lost, and many decisions have winners and losers.

I bet we all have a favourite bit of town which only got preserved because people kicked up a fuss. Off the top of my head, consider Borough Market. What the developers would give to have the chance to plonk a great big building on what must be one of the most interesting markets in the country in the name of 'progress' or 'need'.

I've got no problems with people disagreeing with this community. But let's not descend into petty attacks on people because of their supposed class or whatever. It's really just that which I'm a bit narked by. I can't stand class snobbery - whichever way it flows.
cnapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #983
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnapan View Post
Let me be clear. The only thing I'm irritated by in this discussion is the belittling of people to deal with their argument.

That's good, cause you only have to read the blogs of the opposers of the various schemes to see a similar if not much more profound belittling of the proposers.

Is it pure coincidence that a mans Scrotum resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 04:13 AM   #984
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulattokid View Post
That's good, cause you only have to read the blogs of the opposers of the various schemes to see a similar if not much more profound belittling of the proposers.
the hate mail i get from them is particularly nice.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #985
gegloma01

Likes (Received): 484

Got that news. I think it is the site of the dead-born three spires. Correct?

http://www.gva.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?NewsId=15032391128

Shardettes take another step forward

Tuesday, 23 April 2013

GVA, the UK’s largest independent commercial property adviser, acting on behalf of private clients, has secured the sale of two neighbouring development sites in London Bridge to Network Rail. The freehold sites are 0.233 ha (0.575 acres) in total.
The adjoining development sites - at 70 - 82 St Thomas Street and 1-9 Fenning Street, SE1 - are located just moments from London Bridge Quarter, which incorporates The Shard - Western Europe’s tallest building.

The sites offer significant mixed use development potential and are situated in a location identified as appropriate for tall buildings by the London Borough of Southwark. It is estimated that the subject to the necessary consents, the completed development could be capable of delivering circa 260,000 ft2 of floorspace in a residential led scheme.

Charles Holland, Director at GVA, who managed the disposal comments: “The South Bank has seen significant regeneration in recent years and the area in now regarded as one of the capital’s most desirable residential locations, having cemented its position as part of Prime Central London. The significant level of interest that was generated from our marketing campaign emphasises the demand for major development opportunities in this location, either with or without planning permission."

mulattokid liked this post
gegloma01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #986
JackoGunnerGoCrazy

Likes (Received): 142

Interesting that the article points out the sites are ideal for tall buildings. Would suggest there is still some clamor for some talls to be built there despite the vocal opposition to the three-spires project.

Tags
london, southwark

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: