daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 25th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #101
golddex

Likes (Received): 0

I wouldnt worry about the influence of these 3 towers on the Shard, since Guy's hospital already puts paid to having it stand alone.

and i agree with the designer Zhandra Rhodes to have more parkland - this area is very gritty and the only way to get the bankers to move from the west end is offer them some greenspaces.
golddex no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 25th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #102
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddex View Post
and i agree with the designer Zhandra Rhodes to have more parkland - this area is very gritty and the only way to get the bankers to move from the west end is offer them some greenspaces.
Jeez, ffs has anyone commenting on this scheme actually been around the area?

Bermondsey Street is chockful of lawyers and bankers, it is an extremely trendy and desirable area, full of the kind of loft warehouses that the more cutting edge City folk love. My neighbours are almost all City finance or legal people, designers or doctors. This is not some grimy area in need of regeneration, it ain't even an up and coming area like it was 3 years ago when I moved here, it's upped and come already. This scheme is a cherry on top, it isn't a catalyst for regeneration. Sellar needs this scheme to go ahead more than the SE1 community does.

I do agree with Zandra that some more green space would be nice but there are already plenty of nice green spaces nearby. Speaking of which, getting Zandra onside with this scheme will be crucial to the developers. She's been instrumental to the regeneration of Bermondsey Street and her opinion holds a lot of water with the local community who can be very vocal when they are opposed to a proposed development, witness the Recall site on Bermondsey Street!

Last edited by Smoggie_Si; January 25th, 2009 at 04:07 PM.
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #103
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1585

This is the site in question. Until we see the scheme in detail of course I can't comment on what buildings will be staying or what will be going, but the photos below show the current structures on the site. I don't think it will include the 1970s office blocks which appear 'in front' of Guys in the first photo, but will be placed on what is the temporary car park space in the foreground.

Obviously it's very early to comment, but unless this has some kind of magical base area, I don't see this huge project being an easy neighbour with the low scale buildings to the south, especially the residential estates. The Shard manages it partly because it is over the station, and almost feels as if it floats above London Bridge. This scheme will very much be part of the fabric of the surrounding streets, and needs a very well designed 'sense of place' that manages to bleed into its boundaries. Having visited the site now, I've had few ideas that would make this scheme work with regards to its relationship to the London Bridge railway arches, I'll go into more detail tomorrow.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:23 AM   #104
delores

Likes (Received): 166

Knowing the area quiet well I have to say this street is a gritty part of Old London that is in need of some tender loving care. I am a bit concerned though that the towers will make it even darker than it is already is and as Darljole points out will really have to knit the area's together down bermondsy street as so not to destroy what is actually good there.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #105
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
Typical NIMBY reaction -

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/101078/page=2

"Oh for F**** sake!

This is what I was afraid of. One stupid great tower gets permission and now they think "Lets squash everything and make loads of money with lots more stupid great towers."
I hope the whole ruddy lot of them go bust."
Are some of these people fucking serious? Is this even affecting them at all or just another poor excuse to keep on bitching? They do know that Shard or this project will bring in 10000000x more than each of their houses do,right?

But I want to see renders first. According to what we have seen, it looks like someone pulled the spine outta three towers.
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #106
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 369

Is there a helipad on Guys Tower? I'd imagine there are a few health and safety laws that would be broken if all of these towers go up so close to the hospital.
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #107
potto

Likes (Received): 1736

Nope
potto está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #108
london lad

Likes (Received): 451

The 1970's blocks are a separate scheme for a student block at around 98-98m.

The extent to how this area can develop, especially with regards high rise development its defined by the area in the pictures which is mainly carparks and possibly the site of the old warehouse. Nothing will ever be allowed of height past this site as the area is pretty much predefined as predominately lowrise housing.

I would expect architects of the calibre of H&M to have taken into consideration the surrounding area and Sellar would also have this in mind what with the trouble he has had to get to get the Shard through planning. I would expect the towers to be rather slim & based to the north of the site so to avoid completely overshadowing the 4-5 estates to the South. Behind the scenes work have been ongoing for at least 6 months, probably more so numerous meetings would already have been made with Southwark, the mayors office & local stakeholders.

It is worth considering that the Shard, although further up the road in a denser & predominately non residential area will still dominate the surrounding area as you would expect a 1,000 foot tower would do. Also the redeveloped London Bridge station, which at around 8-10 storeys will in no way be as tall as any tower but will be a large block sitting on top of the already high railway viaduct so will also loom over the immediate area.

I guess we will have to wait for the plans to be released in a couple of weeks before we can realistically weigh the pros & cons.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #109
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1775

Why do they always build crap buildings to house students?
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #110
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 369

Because students don't have the money to live in luxury flats.
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #111
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 1887

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Why do they always build crap buildings to house students?
Textbook capitalism
the spliff fairy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #112
Comdot
Taikun

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie_Si View Post
Jeez, ffs has anyone commenting on this scheme actually been around the area?
si, you are definitely our resident expert on the area and i should hope so seeing as you live just round the corner.
Comdot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #113
jayo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin007 View Post
Because students don't have the money to live in luxury flats.
Look at parkway gate in Manchester.
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #114
london lad

Theres an article on this in the ES homes & property supplement. I don't know if the writer knows a bit more or is widely exaggerating & is not very accurate with his descriptions.

Firstly he says the new quarters as big as CW and incorporates Guys hospital (30 acres) which is included in the scheme. He says the planning application is due to be lodged on 17th Feb.

Not sure on the accuracy of the ES reporting (& I don't rate it very highly as it says the development could start by the end of the year which is doubtful) but if Guys is included im sure G&ST have mentioned in a feasibility study before that there is the possibility of the area between this development & Guys tower could potentially be sold of to private developers.

Gonna be interesting to find out these plans in a couple of weeks.
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #115
Comdot
Taikun

london hospital towers nearing completion and now this is mentioned...
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #116
london lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comdot View Post
london hospital towers nearing completion and now this is mentioned...

Nothing really in common though as both hospitals generally serve different parts of London and are different NHS Trusts.
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #117
Comdot
Taikun

wild speculation but with one 'superhospital' complete they will be able to commission another and that could be used in replacing guy's? does anyone on here know the hospital plans for the future?
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #118
twilight_2008

Likes (Received): 1

I wouldn't exactly cry if Guy's was demolished, especially if it was a part of this development.
twilight_2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #119
Manuel

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Firstly he says the new quarters as big as CW and incorporates Guys hospital (30 acres) which is included in the scheme. He says the planning application is due to be lodged on 17th Feb.

And the developer is supposed to be in discussion with the council and GLA for only 6 months? either the proposal is much older or the application is not submitted in february...that looks a very short period of time for such a massive development...
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #120
Comdot
Taikun

so was there a public consultation held on the 'three houses'?

Tags
london, southwark

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: