daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 20th, 2015, 02:47 PM   #81
Meurisse
Architect-Urbanist

Likes (Received): 4620

yesterday:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurisse View Post
zonet

IMG_3554 by BMeurisse, on Flickr

IMG_3555 by BMeurisse, on Flickr

IMG_3557 by BMeurisse, on Flickr

IMG_3558 by BMeurisse, on Flickr

IMG_3559 by BMeurisse, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2015, 09:09 PM   #82
Meurisse
Architect-Urbanist

first glass on the other side

IMG_3693 by BMeurisse, on Flickr

IMG_3694 by BMeurisse, on Flickr

IMG_3695 by BMeurisse, on Flickr

IMG_3696 by BMeurisse, on Flickr

IMG_3697 by BMeurisse, on Flickr
Meurisse está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #83
el palmesano
Roquetero

Likes (Received): 19536

awsome!!
Old November 14th, 2015, 07:55 PM   #84
Meurisse
Architect-Urbanist

IMG_3886 by BMeurisse, on Flickr

IMG_3887 by BMeurisse, on Flickr

IMG_3888 by BMeurisse, on Flickr

IMG_3889 by BMeurisse, on Flickr

IMG_3890 by BMeurisse, on Flickr

IMG_3891 by BMeurisse, on Flickr

IMG_3892 by BMeurisse, on Flickr

bubbashuck, Minsk, 8166UY, Perennial Quest, VK and 1 others liked this post
Meurisse está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 09:49 PM   #85
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

I sure hope that glass is just dirty because it looks terrible compared with Zaha's other projects.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #86
Sentyme
KlejnotNilu

Likes (Received): 352

Is it just me or this really looks like some fancy-kitschy project?
Sentyme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2015, 08:51 PM   #87
Sukino

Likes (Received): 1580

It's just you.

SypsiloN liked this post
Sukino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 12:28 AM   #88
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4155

From the Be forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequal View Post

Old December 11th, 2015, 10:06 PM   #89
thompsongda

Likes (Received): 891

Both these buildings looks nice, but together...it just looks really wierd and not so good tbh...
thompsongda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 03:00 PM   #90
Llombai

Likes (Received): 0

What Antwerp citizens think about that building?, Are they agree?
Llombai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 11:43 PM   #91
8166UY

Likes (Received): 281

What I've heard they are most of all glad that they'll get a new eyecatcher. Especially because Belgian developers are quite conservative. No idea though if they find it pretty or not.
8166UY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 12:50 AM   #92
krokkel

Likes (Received): 1036

Well... what's pretty ???
krokkel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 01:59 AM   #93
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

You know, I typically enjoy dramatic, contemporary architecture. I even enjoyed visiting antwerp and going through the main new building there, the name escapes me. But this one is borderline disrespectful. They've taken a beautiful historic building, and desecrated it with this sorry excuse for expensive architecture. I'm sure the budget for this is insane, and it's an atrocity how much money I'm sure was wasted on this. Go to Stockholm and figure out how to balance contemporary with historic architecture.

benpicko, jonasry liked this post
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 11:19 AM   #94
krokkel

This 'historic' building dates from 1922 and served as a fire station for the harbor. It is more or less a replica of a truly historic building the 'Hanze house' which was build in the 16th century and burned down in 1893. The original 'Hanze house' was situated on another location in the old harbor district closer to the citycentre. On that spot you now find a contemporary building which contains the M.A.S. museum.

The original Hanze house before its destruction by fire in 1893

Whats there now, seen from about the same angle

Last edited by krokkel; December 16th, 2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old December 16th, 2015, 12:21 PM   #95
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4202

I feel sad for the historic building. The modern part is okay but should have been build next to it, not on top of it. Together its just weird.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 10:26 PM   #96
royal rose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokkel View Post
This 'historic' building dates from 1922 and served as a fire station for the harbor. It is more or less a replica of a truly historic building the 'Hanze house' which was build in the 16th century and burned down in 1893. The original 'Hanze house' was situated on another location in the old harbor district closer to the citycentre. On that spot you now find a contemporary building which contains the M.A.S. museum.

The original Hanze house before its destruction by fire in 1893

Whats there now, seen from about the same angle

I think at least this building is sort of emblematic of Belgium's attitude in general. Their history and culture don't matter. Simply smother it in something "progressive" and call it beautiful, when it really isn't. Take a shit on their culture and past, because it no longer matters. Sad that this mentality has spread to Antwerp, I was hoping destroying Brussels was enough. I suppose not. I don't know why we think anything crazy and designed by a starchitect is beautiful, it's naive and foolish. Why don't we realize Hadid is to the 2010s what Gehry was to the 2000s?

benpicko liked this post
Old December 23rd, 2015, 12:56 PM   #97
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4155

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
I think at least this building is sort of emblematic of Belgium's attitude in general. Their history and culture don't matter. Simply smother it in something "progressive" and call it beautiful, when it really isn't. Take a shit on their culture and past, because it no longer matters. Sad that this mentality has spread to Antwerp, I was hoping destroying Brussels was enough. I suppose not. I don't know why we think anything crazy and designed by a starchitect is beautiful, it's naive and foolish. Why don't we realize Hadid is to the 2010s what Gehry was to the 2000s?
Oh please. We didn't destroy that historic building to build the MAS museum. It was long gone before they started with the MAS. The building destroyed was an old, run down hangar.

The historic warehouses around it have all been renovated now.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/karelraman/5533858169/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patonde...57623967069450

Also, the historic buildings of the Red Star Line have all been renovated (and turned into a museum).

Yes, there have been some mistakes in the past (especially in Brussels) but if you think we don't care about our culture or history today, I guess you should visit Ghent, Bruges, Leuven, Antwerp, Mechelen,... Have you ever been there in the first place?
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 07:08 PM   #98
royal rose1

I've been to Leuven, Antwerp, Bruges, and Ghent. And you have to realize, my claims are more all encompassing than a statement regarding simply architecture. Belgium and the Netherlands are both guilty of this. You've spoiled the culture, and any true sense of national uniqueness through your pursuit of international-ness across all facets of culture, demographics, architecture, etc.. I fail to call it anything short of a travesty to visit Brussels now, it seems everything belgian is long gone. Despite a couple outliers, such as the main square. I agree, Bruges and Ghent are two of the most outstanding, splendid cities I've ever been to, and I intend to visit much more of Belgium. But I hate this Western European mentality that being progressive, modern, and being just like everywhere else is somehow a good thing. National borders are being obscured in a horrible way, and soon European cities will be indistinguishable if not for historic architecture alone. Even the contemporary architecture is making these cities more bland and ubiquitous. And that, to me, is the biggest travesty of our time. Belgium was something so special, and it's disappearing before our eyes.

And to me, this building with Zaha Hadid shitting all over it, is the perfect analogy for Belgium at large.
Old December 24th, 2015, 11:11 AM   #99
krokkel

Europeans do'nt have to live in a museum for the aesthetical pleasures of American tourists. European culture has been evolving for more than 2000 years and is continuing to do so. Just as everywhere else things of the past are constantly under pressure of being replaced by things of the present (which is more frequent a matter of business then a matter of culture). In the recent history of Europe there were 2 devastating wars in which a number of cultural treasures where destroyed, what at that time no one considered to be important (remember Dresden). Europeans have invested a lot of recources in the restoration of the damaged treasures and continue to do so (City Palace Berlin).
So please do'nt tell us what to do with our culture, there is stll enough work on yours.

poller1 liked this post
Old December 24th, 2015, 05:49 PM   #100
royal rose1

Thanks buddy, I don't speak as an American tourist, but as a citizen of the world. I've spent more of my life living in Europe than the US. You're just a naive, brainwashed liberal fool to think you can shit on your culture and past without repercussions in the future. You think in 50 years people will look at this and think "Wow, stacking that ugly crystalline structure on top of that beautiful building was a good idea"
Hell no, contemporary western europe is so progressive, they've become incredibly short sighted in their decision making, and don't realize how embracing internationalism is going to ruin the culture of their countries and cities for the rest of history. Antwerp is full of crappy buildings to tear down, or places to put an amazing new building without shitting on their old architecture. So why ruin a gem? I'm not saying to preserve your town amber, but act responsibly and preserve your historic buildings in stead of desecrating them, like Copenhagen, Stockholm, Vienna, and pretty much any city outside the Netherlands/Belgium does well in Europe. But even Amsterdam accomplishes this.

Also, I think US culture is fine and dandy, it's the politics we have to work on. Again, your naive, clearly unfounded statements show your ignorance, and how little you truly understand the world. The US is doing great preserving, and perpetuating our culture.

Last edited by royal rose1; December 24th, 2015 at 07:16 PM.

Tags
zaha hadid