daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 15th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #121
TugaMtl

Likes (Received): 18

I don't support this bid because Spain will end up being overrepresented. Spain and Portugal are able to host the World Cup by themselves and don't need this joint big crap.
TugaMtl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #122
Gran Kanarya
Gran Kanarya

Likes (Received): 0

Spain may be but i'm not so sure about Portugal, as a joint bit it's much more exciting
Old April 15th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #123
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by TugaMtl View Post
I don't support this bid because Spain will end up being overrepresented. Spain and Portugal are able to host the World Cup by themselves and don't need this joint big crap.
Actually, Portugal cannot host by themselves. Ideally it should be 6 in Spain and 6 in Portugal, but in reality it will probably be 8 in Spain and 4 in Portugal.

7 in Spain and 5 in Portugal could be a compromise. Lisbon having 2 stadiums is unideal. but what can you do?
Lord David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #124
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
Actually, Portugal cannot host by themselves.
We could, if we were willing to. It's just plus 10k seats per stadium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
Lisbon having 2 stadiums is unideal. but what can you do?
Sydney having 2 stadiums and London three is unideal, but what can you do?
Aka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #125

Likes (Received): 1439

Is it just me, or isn't it pretty wierd that Pep Guardiola is supporting Qatar for 2022 when Spain is bidding for the same tournament?

1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #126
fidalgo
the mitty

Likes (Received): 25588

He can support Spain for 2018 and Qatar for 2022
fidalgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #127
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Catalunya is not Spain?
skaP187 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #128
Filipe710

Sorry for post in portuguese in the other post.
I would agree with the joint bid if Portugal had more rights in it.
Actually it looks Spain says and Portugal does and that way I don't aceppt.
Portugal have 3 stadiums that can host and other 2 citys were making projects to be able to make the stadiums with the permited capacity for can host matches too. Why we shouldn't use them?
And Spain by this way will get the opening match and the final, so it's like they are almost hosting alone.
I don't want to see spanish and other people saying portugal only hosted a wc thanks to spain because i know in the future we can host it, if we could host a euro why not host a WC too? And before a WC i preferee the Olympics in Portugal
Filipe710 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #129
Golan Trevize

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe710 View Post
Para mim podem enfiar a candidatura num sitio que ca sei....
Prefiro uns jogos olimpicos sozinhos (penso que temos capacidade para tal e era um grande desenvolvimente ao remodelar o Jamor e criar uma cidade olimpica que depois dos jogos iria ser usada pelos nosssos atletas que o merecem) do que tar a fazer de escravo de espanha onde so temos 3 estadios.
Nao temos a capacidade deles mas pa ser assim mais vale a pena nao fazer.

No way we have capacity to organize an Olympic Games, it's way beyond our capabilities, the only country wiht our size and similar economy that was able to organize an OG in the last 30/40 years was Greece and that was due to historic reasons and we all know how bad those games were and how much damage those 16 billions dollars caused in the greek economy. There's no chance that the IOC will ever give it's top prize to us in this century.
Golan Trevize no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #130
Filipe710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golan Trevize View Post
No way we have capacity to organize an Olympic Games, it's way beyond our capabilities, the only country wiht our size and similar economy that was able to organize an OG in the last 30/40 years was Greece and that was due to historic reasons and we all know how bad those games were and how much damage those 16 billions dollars caused in the greek economy. There's no chance that the IOC will ever give it's top prize to us in this century.
As maybe you said portugal wasnt able to host euro and in euro we wasted money building 8 or 10 stadiums im not sure will in Olympics you waste money in one stadium and an olympic village that will be more usefull to us for our athletes than an Euro or a WC that each stadium you build wont have more use after the competition.
Old April 15th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #131
Golan Trevize

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
As maybe you said portugal wasnt able to host euro and in euro we wasted money building 8 or 10 stadiums im not sure will in Olympics you waste money in one stadium and an olympic village that will be more usefull to us for our athletes than an Euro or a WC that each stadium you build wont have more use after the competition.
That's not just a stadium and olympic village, an olympic games need an aquatics center (wich will cost at least 150 million euros), 5 indoor arenas (300 million euros), tennis Center (50 million), an Internation Broadcast Center (100 Mllion euros), a Velodrome (150 million euros), a rugby Stadium (100 million euros) and that's lowballed and you can't say that Lisbon has those infrastructures because they are too spread out, the IOC wants clusters.
Golan Trevize no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #132
anacleta

Likes (Received): 14

anacleta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #133
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
I would agree with the joint bid if Portugal had more rights in it.
That's our fault. We're the ones who don't want to spend money in stadiums. That's the only reason why we've only three, since the Spanish were actually asking for more Portuguese stadiums!!!

Quote:
Actually it looks Spain says and Portugal does and that way I don't aceppt.
Read above.

Quote:
Portugal have 3 stadiums that can host and other 2 citys were making projects to be able to make the stadiums with the permited capacity for can host matches too. Why we shouldn't use them?
Because they were willing to do that if it was the State to pay for it. Now, I also want that for Coimbra!

Quote:
And Spain by this way will get the opening match and the final, so it's like they are almost hosting alone.
Once again, that's our fault for not having a 80k stadium. Or FIFA's fault.

Quote:
And before a WC i preferee the Olympics in Portugal
I'm not even going to answer this. Reality has shown already how this is... hum... sorry for the word... absurd.
Aka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #134
Filipe710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka View Post
Because they were willing to do that if it was the State to pay for it. Now, I also want that for Coimbra!
And we don't have money for that? The income will be much more than the money you waste because you wont waste 100million euros upgrading 2 or even 3 stadiums. You can even use temporary stands in those stands, that way you would waste much more than the total income.

And about the Olympics why it is impossible? I never said it had to be actually but in future, and as i said before will be much more usefull than the white elephants we wasted money in euro, that you a stadium of 25k stadium for a team that puts 1k per match or even less.
Our athletes don't have places to train in portugal and they already said that and they give us more reasons to smile than our football players etc.

Last edited by Filipe710; April 16th, 2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:23 AM   #135
reprises
BANNED

why not just use private funds to upgrade crap? if no private investors want to, if the owners dont want to, then it doesnt need to get done.
reprises no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 04:19 AM   #136
Andre_idol
Fluorescent Adolescent

Likes (Received): 418

Filipe...have a look to the country that organized the Olympics before China...
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #137
Lord David

Quote:
Sydney having 2 stadiums and London three is unideal, but what can you do?
Sydney having 2 stadiums is a reasonable choice based on the stadium situation in Australia, compare that to Portugal, sure Lisbon has 2 stadiums that could host, the country is small, but still, one would like to see 5 cities be put up for their bid.

London is not having 3 stadiums! Who said anything about England's bid involving London using 3 stadiums? 2 at tops, but even then you got a wide selection of cities and stadiums to choose from.
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #138
Lord David

Quote:
We could, if we were willing to. It's just plus 10k seats per stadium.
Technically you cannot considering the design of most stadiums in Portugal, even if you did propose using Euro 2004 venues, much of these stadiums would require complete overhauls costing millions that seem too much effort just to add 10,000 seats. Most of them aren't design just for the simple 2nd tier upgrade, not to mention that most of your cities probably don't even need a 40,000 seater stadium (even if you do propose to downsize them post World Cup).

Also, where will you get the 80,000 seater final venue? Upgrade the national stadium perhaps? Build a new one? Upgrade an existing one?

Something in a smaller scale like a Euro or Under whatever World Cup you can do, but not necessarily the real deal. Which is why you're teaming up with Spain in order to get some WC glory.
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #139
neufert

Please, be realistic. Portugal will never host a World Cup by itself… as neither Spain, with 4,5 times Portugal“s population, has hardly any chance. The only way they could ever host a WC is bidding together, both you like it or not. I think 8-4 stadiums is unfair to Spanish potential, realistic would be 9-3 but that wouldn“t be a true joint bid… so a 8-4 share out seems to be fair at last. 7-5 looks like a utopia.
Of course, as a general rule this is not valid for anglosaxon nations, as we all know, this playing rules always benefit them... I would say England will host 2018 WC, USA 2022 and Australia 2026. What do you think?
neufert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #140
Viva_Bulgaria
Proud to be a Bulgarian

Likes (Received): 3858

That would suck but I also think that many rules in the world as a whole benefit the anglosaxon nations

In my opinion the stadiums should be 9 for Spain and 3 for Portugal although that is still Portugal's favour but probably it would look unfair a joint bid with 10 to 2 stadiums for one of the countries. Though I think Spain could and should have applied alone.
Viva_Bulgaria no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
spain in the world, stadiums spain