daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #141
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Yes, Spain is the one that could host alone. We're being realistic, Portugal is just the one that can't host the World Cup on it's own.
Lord David no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #142
MS20

Likes (Received): 2

Why would 9 stadiums in Spain and 3 in Portugal not be a "true joint bid" neufert?

This is a country of 10 million people, of which there are only 3 clubs who are well supported. Spain needs Portugals stadiums in Lisbon and Porto to have a great bid, and Portugal, well, they need Spain if they want to host a World Cup. They could even give Lisbon the title of being the city with 2 stadiums.

I'm sure the Portuguese people would be extremely supportive of such a bid. You would be foolish not to.
MS20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #143
buho

Likes (Received): 19214

I like the videos and the slogan about candidatura Ibérica, but I miss Cristiano Ronaldo saying that in the 1st video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neufert View Post
Please, be realistic. Portugal will never host a World Cup by itself… as neither Spain, with 4,5 times Portugalīs population, has hardly any chance.
Spain already organised 1982 FIFA World Cup...
buho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #144
neufert

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by buho

Spain already organised 1982 FIFA World Cup...
Well, in 36-40 years things (politically talking) will have changed enough to make situation different. Just have a look at the kind of countries that are winning the last bids. I think the only chance we have (Spain & Portugal) nowadays is to play together, maybe only Spain by itself could but I donīt believe that one would be a "winning bid".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS20
Why would 9 stadiums in Spain and 3 in Portugal not be a "true joint bid" neufert?
Maybe i didnīt explain that properly. Letīs see now: I meant that a real joint bid canīt give Portugal just 3 stadiums. It would be a "ghost joint bid" because both parts are not in similar conditions. I believe 8-4 stadiums is fair enough.

Well, hope have explained myself correctly.
neufert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #145
buho

Likes (Received): 19214

Quote:
Well, in 36-40 years things (politically talking) will have changed enough to make situation different. Just have a look at the kind of countries that are winning the last bids. I think the only chance we have (Spain & Portugal) nowadays is to play together, maybe only Spain by itself could but I donīt believe that one would be a "winning bid".
Yes, Spain is technically able to organise it, but would never win alone, I agree with that, and I would like this bid to be the first step in a closer collaboration Spain-Portugal.

Quote:
Maybe i didnīt explain that properly. Letīs see now: I meant that a real joint bid canīt give Portugal just 3 stadiums. It would be a "ghost joint bid" because both parts are not in similar conditions. I believe 8-4 stadiums is fair enough.
I think 8-4 would be fair too.
buho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #146

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaP187 View Post
Catalunya is not Spain?
Oh, please. A WC in Spain would benefit Catalonia alot!
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 03:27 AM   #147
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
Sydney having 2 stadiums is a reasonable choice based on the stadium situation in Australia, compare that to Portugal, sure Lisbon has 2 stadiums that could host, the country is small, but still, one would like to see 5 cities be put up for their bid.

London is not having 3 stadiums! Who said anything about England's bid involving London using 3 stadiums? 2 at tops, but even then you got a wide selection of cities and stadiums to choose from.
Having Luz and Alvalade is also reasonable considering Portugal.
Aka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 03:37 AM   #148
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Technically you cannot considering the design of most stadiums in Portugal, even if you did propose using Euro 2004 venues, much of these stadiums would require complete overhauls costing millions that seem too much effort just to add 10,000 seats. Most of them aren't design just for the simple 2nd tier upgrade
It's just 10k... that's hardly a tier for a big stadium.

We don't need a track in Coimbra (or Leiria), There's a lot of space in Aveiro. Also in Luz, Alvalade, Dragão (a bit less here, but isn't 50k enough already?), you can expand Algarve's top tiers and so on.

Quote:
not to mention that most of your cities probably don't even need a 40,000 seater stadium (even if you do propose to downsize them post World Cup).
You shouldn't evaluate Portuguese cities by their population, because our urban organization is a mess. If Coimbra had the same organization as a Spanish city (like Badajoz) its population would be around 300k or more.

A good example? The Centro region in Portugal has almost the same size and population than Galicia. Yet, nobody questions Vigo or La Coruņa, right?

Quote:
Also, where will you get the 80,000 seater final venue? Upgrade the national stadium perhaps? Build a new one? Upgrade an existing one?
Doing it at Luz would be quite easy.

Quote:
Something in a smaller scale like a Euro or Under whatever World Cup you can do, but not necessarily the real deal. Which is why you're teaming up with Spain in order to get some WC glory.
The reason why we're doing it with Spain is because we don't want to spend more money in stadiums. Actually, our Government wouldn't even support it if it had to spend more millions, especially during this crisis.

That's the reason why there's only three Portuguese stadiums on the bid. The only ones with more than 40k seats.

Actually, that's also one of the reasons why Spain wants this joint bid. Yes, they still have to build new stadiums, yet with Portugal the number is reduced, and you can't say they're going through nice times.
Aka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #149
Filipe710

In the Luz you could close the 3rd tier, that would add some more seats but i dont know huw much maybe around 10k even and you still can make the stands closer to the field. In alvalade you can make the stands close to the field. In Dragao you can close the goal stands that are opened that would add maybe 10k seats. In Coimbra you have one stand that is diferent from the others 3 and you can still remove the track. In Algarve you can change 2 stands and maybe make a stand as was Sydney Olympic Stadium. Leiria wont bid. In Braga you can add one temporary stand that was what they were thinking to do.
Filipe710 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #150
Andre_idol
Fluorescent Adolescent

Likes (Received): 418

that would totally kill the desing of the stadiums specially Dragao and Luz.

And letīs not even start with how you could do it...Destroying running tracks (Aka said Leiria isnīt necessary when we already received some European meetings there...) to put more seats there, in Coimbra and Algarve is just a silly idea...Then we would have a Coimbra stadium with their amazing average of supporters in an even bigger stadium Even if it was temporary seats that would look awful! The only aceptable idea is a new stand for Braga...and even there that would ruin a piece of art!

Iīm a supporter of the bid cause I like football a lot but I think we could spent our money in some other things (TGV...airports...maybe another Expo) and I really donīget how Spain need us (or vice-versa actually) to host a World Cup.

The best thing would be 4 stadiums. The big three plus Algarve due to the location...and a "Sydney solution" there would look good

Last edited by Andre_idol; April 19th, 2010 at 06:54 AM.
Andre_idol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #151
kosova-fener
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

one reason i wouldnt support this bid is because people in spain are very racist. just look at the games in la liga, its a disgrace. they are in the same line as the fascists of italy. down with racism, spanish supporters dont deserve this. even you ex coach(luis aragones) is a racist bastard. no world cup for spain.
ps. im white
kosova-fener no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #152
neufert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosova-fener View Post
one reason i wouldnt support this bid is because people in spain are very racist. just look at the games in la liga, its a disgrace. they are in the same line as the fascists of italy. down with racism, spanish supporters dont deserve this. even you ex coach(luis aragones) is a racist bastard. no world cup for spain.
ps. im white
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #153
Hiram

Quote:

ps. im a wanker
Fixed.
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #154
neufert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
Fixed.

Anyway Iīd like to know which facts pushed him to think in that way (leaving out all those "rigurous details" about spanish soccer supporters or about our former national team coach). Taking into account that most of us are a mixture of several races that lived throughout centuries here and that during a decade millions of migrants have come here without remarkable conflicts ...
Well, there are racist bastards everywhere but I donīt think thatīs a feature that characterise spanish people.

Edit: wait a minute. Now I realize that maybe kosova-fenerīs attitude has a lot to see with the non-recognition, that the spanish government does, of your Kosovo. Am I wrong?

Last edited by neufert; April 20th, 2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old April 20th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #155

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
ps. im white
How typical... A kosovar crying about racism while he is killing all the serbs in his own land.
Look to your own backyard before you start blaming others, eh?
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #156
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
So when was the last time you have been to Spain?

Quote:
ps. im white
Thatīs your problem.
skaP187 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #157
Motorways

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
ps. im white

could you please tell me just one country in Europe hosting more million inmigrants than Spain during the last 10 years?

could you tell me what racist, facist or far right party has representation on the spanish parlamient as it happens in France, the UK, Austria, Italy or the Netherlands?

Could you please tell me whatīs the racist attacks ratio in Spain when compared to France, Uk, Germany or any other country?

Could you please educated yourself before poiting at anyone as racist just because you from time to time watch football on TV?
Motorways no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #158
Motorways

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:

Edit: wait a minute. Now I realize that maybe kosova-fenerīs attitude has a lot to see with the non-recognition, that the spanish government does, of your Kosovo. Am I wrong?

Now i do understand this guy...such a childish behavior
Motorways no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #159
anze

Likes (Received): 8

For me stadium in Braga is disaster
I hate it
Old April 20th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #160
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by anze View Post
For me stadium in Braga is disaster
I hate it
Taste is a funny thing, I love it. Though I can understand you.
Atleast it is a stadium which is unique and on what you can have a strong opinion.
skaP187 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
spain in the world, stadiums spain