daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #161
anze

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaP187 View Post
Taste is a funny thing, I love it. Though I can understand you.
Atleast it is a stadium which is unique and on what you can have a strong opinion.
I respect your taste too

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #162
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by anze View Post
I respect your taste too
Thanks, it is a stadium to have a clear opinion about. Either you love it or you hate it.
skaP187 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #163
JimB

Likes (Received): 4814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorways View Post
could you please tell me just one country in Europe hosting more million inmigrants than Spain during the last 10 years?

could you tell me what racist, facist or far right party has representation on the spanish parlamient as it happens in France, the UK, Austria, Italy or the Netherlands?

Could you please tell me what´s the racist attacks ratio in Spain when compared to France, Uk, Germany or any other country?

Could you please educated yourself before poiting at anyone as racist just because you from time to time watch football on TV?
Regardless of Spanish society as a whole (I don't suppose that it is any worse or better than any other major western European country), you cannot deny that there have been a number of instances recently of racism within Spanish stadiums.

In particular, I can remember when Spain played against England a year or two ago and large sections of the Spanish crowd made monkey noises whenever England's black players (particularly Shaun Wright Phillips) received the ball.

That's not to say that that should necessarily be a reason for Iberia not winning the bid. But I hope that it's something that the Spanish authorities are working on.

The last thing that anyone should do is to pretend that the problem doesn't exist. It does exist. So don't stick your heads in the sand. Racism used to blight English football too. But the authorities have been tireless in the fight against racism within football in England and it has now been virtually eradicated. That's not an excuse to relax, though. We must be vigilant that it is never allowed to creep back in.

It's time that the authorities in Spain took the same measures that have worked so well in England.
JimB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #164
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

Going from the official Spain & Portugal 2018/22 bid website I was really surprised Portugal are only putting forward 3 stadiums, 2 of which are in Lisbon. Anyway going from this website here is my list of the 12 stadiums I would like to get picked, this is going from the criteria of capacity and geographical spread:

FINAL 12 STADIUMS

Portugal

LISBON- Estadio de Luz 65,647
LISBON- Estadio Alvalade 50,300
PORTO- Estadio do Dragao 50,106

Spain

MADRID- Santiago Bernabeu 80,533
BARCELONA- Nou Camp 98,700 (Expanding to 106,000)
VALENCIA- Nuevo Mestalla 74,000
SEVILLA- Estadio Olympico de Sevilla 57,586
BILBAO- Nuevo San Mames Barria 53,100
ZARAGOZA- Nuevo Estadio 50,000
MALAGA- Estadio Nueva Rosaleda 45,000
A CORUNA- Estadio Riazor 35,600 (Would need to be expanded)
MERCIA- Estadio Jose Rico 29,681 (Would need to be expanded)

RESERVE STADIUMS

Portugal

AVEIRO- Municipal de Aveiro 30,678 (Would need to be expanded)
FARO- Estadio Algarve 30,305 (Would need to be expanded)

Spain

MADRID- Estadio Nuevo Estadio de Madrid 69,600
BARCELONA- El Prat 41,000
SEVILLA- Estadio Sanchez Pizjuan 43,172
ELCHE- Estadio Martinez Valero 36,017 (Would need to be expanded)

Please tell me what you think of my final 12 list and the reserve list.
Kobo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #165
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

I would pick Gijon or Murcia over Alicante.

And expanded Sánchez Pizjuán instead of the Olympic Stadium Sevilla.

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #166
Hiram

Likes (Received): 0

I agree with you, Spanish authorities must take measures against any kind of racism in football stadiums. Otherwise I think your head is stuck in the sand if you think that racism is "virtually eradicated" in English football.
Old April 20th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #167
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
I agree with you, Spanish authorities must take measures against any kind of racism in football stadiums. Otherwise I think your head is stuck in the sand if you think that racism is "virtually eradicated" in English football.
As I said, the authorities in Britain can't afford to relax. We have to remain forever vigilant.

Of course there are still racists in England - proportionally as many as there in Spain, I don't doubt. But those scenes that we witnessed when large sections of Spanish supporters subjected the black English players to vile monkey chants..........that sort of thing never happens in English stadiums any more.

A few quotes from an article that appeared on the NBC website last year:

“In Spain, there is a profound problem and the fight against racism hasn’t been taken seriously. The problem is a lack of education and sensibility when it comes to tackling racism,” Esteban Ibarra, head of the Movement Against Intolerance, told The Associated Press.

“The public would react positively to a campaign, but there is a real lack of political push in this fight.”

Monkey chants still rain down on players across the country, with Barcelona striker Samuel Eto’o of Cameroon nearly quitting a game at Zaragoza in February 2006 because of the abuse.

“When I first experienced it, I didn’t even hear it. It was reporters that brought it to my attention,” said Julian De Guzman, a Canadian of Filipino-Jamaican heritage who plays for Deportivo La Coruna. “Then I was watching (a replay of) the game and I was like ’Wow.’ It was pretty surprising and kind of disappointing.

“The fines are never enough. They're just a slap of the hand and they’re back at it again. It doesn’t really do anything.”

Last month, Real Madrid was fined 3,000 euros ($3,900) after some fans displayed fascist banners, made gestures and chanted slogans with reference to the death of their opponents and the gas chamber.

This is all in addition to Luis Aragones' racist remarks about Thierry Henry and the racist abuse suffered by Lewis Hamilton at the Spanish Grand Prix.

I'm not saying that the Spanish are any more racist than the English or any other European country. But it is quite clear that the Spanish authorities have not taken the issue nearly seriously enough. Clubs and individuals receive utterly insignificant punishments whenever they transgress.

Consequently, there is no genuine pressure on the culprits to cease their unacceptable behaviour.
Old April 20th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #168
buho

Likes (Received): 19217

There are brainless people everywhere. But I can't say racism has been almost eradicated in the last few years, fortunately. In 2008 the UEFA punished Atlético de Madrid F.C against Olympique, because the supporters were shouting "Kun, Kun, Kun" (Atletico´s best player, Kun Agüero) and they thought they were making monkey noises.

I remember chants in british football saying "Mido has a bomb, you know, Mido he's got a bomb" just because he's from Egypt. As I said, there are brainless people everywhere.
buho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 12:23 AM   #169
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by buho View Post
There are brainless people everywhere. But I can't say racism has been almost eradicated in the last few years, fortunately. In 2008 the UEFA punished Atlético de Madrid F.C against Olympique, because the supporters were shouting "Kun, Kun, Kun" (Atletico´s best player, Kun Agüero) and they thought they were making monkey noises.

I remember chants in british football saying "Mido has a bomb, you know, Mido he's got a bomb" just because he's from Egypt. As I said, there are brainless people everywhere.
You're right that there was a "Shoe, shoe, shoe bomber...shoe, shoe, shoe bomber" chant, sung by West Ham fans when he played for Spurs (ironically, Mido now plays for West Ham!).

But it had nothing to do with the fact that Mido is from Egypt. It had everything to do with the fact that Mido looks like the white British muslim, Richard Reid, who tried to blow up a transatlantic flight with a bomb in his shoe:

Old April 21st, 2010, 12:39 AM   #170
Filipe710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo View Post
RESERVE STADIUMS

Portugal

AVEIRO- Municipal de Aveiro 30,678 (Would need to be expanded)
Aveiro Stadium would never be chosen to be expanded.
The City council even already said to Public that they were thinking in demolish the stadium because they are losing money every day and they don't find a way to make an income from the stadium.
A better chose would be in Guimaraes or Braga.
And I belive Benfica and Porto might decided to expand their stadiums, at least in Da Luz I hope that because if they expand they will change the exterior and the exterior is ugly, much concrete, should be more like Emirates.
Filipe710 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:35 AM   #171
Kobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpioe View Post
I would pick Gijon or Murcia over Alicante.

And expanded Sánchez Pizjuán instead of the Olympic Stadium Sevilla.
I didn't pick Alicante, I chose Murcia. I opted for the Olympic Stadium in Sevilla over Sanchez Pizjuan, as it is a newer stadium and a Uefa Elite Stadium, it also wouldn't need expanding for a world cup.
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:37 AM   #172
Kobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe710 View Post
The City council even already said to Public that they were thinking in demolish the stadium because they are losing money every day and they don't find a way to make an income from the stadium.
And I belive Benfica and Porto might decided to expand their stadiums, at least in Da Luz I hope that because if they expand they will change the exterior and the exterior is ugly, much concrete, should be more like Emirates.
As I put it in my Reserve list of stadiums, I wouldn't have thought it would get expanded, unless it got picked to be in the list of the final 12 stadiums.
Old April 21st, 2010, 04:09 AM   #173
Andre_idol
Fluorescent Adolescent

Likes (Received): 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe710 View Post
Once again, an expansion will kill the design of the stadiums...just can´t imagine what would they do to a stadium like Dragão.
Luz just needs a better facade.
Old April 21st, 2010, 02:43 PM   #174
Filipe710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre_idol View Post
Once again, an expansion will kill the design of the stadiums...just can´t imagine what would they do to a stadium like Dragão.
Luz just needs a better facade.
But they wont change luz facade if they don't expand i dont remember any team to change their stadium facade without making interior improvements too. And I belive if they do, they will ask HOK, since it was them that designed the luz to make a expansion project.
Of what I know Emirates have reserve plans if they need to expand stadium and Emirates looks exactly like Luz in the stands.
First let's wait too see if Portugal/Spain gets the WC, and after we speak, it's to early to be already speaking in Stadiums etc.
I have a question.... If bidding nation after being chosen, they can add others stadiums to list or are the ones that were chosen when they did the bid?
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:18 AM   #175
Andre_idol
Fluorescent Adolescent

Likes (Received): 418

Some years ago I heard that was a plan to Luz facade but they haven´t money to complete.

Sure thing it´s they will improve the stadiums...after all the WC is only in 2018.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:10 AM   #176
zeturbo

Expanding? REALLY? That is a ridiculous plan.

Half the stadiums arent even being used at half capacity. Attendance at Luz stadium is bellow 50K ppl, and you want to expand to 80K to host a tournament? did none learn from euro 2004?
Not to mention the costs and utter destruction to the stadium's design...

The only viable idea, is temporary expansion of Braga's stadium, and even then, it would be like like painting around the monalisa because you want a bigger paiting. that stadium is a work of art, adding anything to it would be blasphemy.

No, the only WC worthy stadiums are Alvalade, Dragao and Luz, as they are!
zeturbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:11 AM   #177
zeturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre_idol View Post
Some years ago I heard that was a plan to Luz facade but they haven´t money to complete.

Sure thing it´s they will improve the stadiums...after all the WC is only in 2018.
after we sell di maria this summer for 100Million euros well have the moneyyyy

Mind you, the idea of finishing up the facade of the luz is a great one, it looks unfinished, something like the emirates stadium would be nice...
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:04 AM   #178
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

What matters about a stadium is the inside, not the outside. Inside is pretty good I thought and that´s the part that goes around the world via television, something that architects sometimes forget mop.
skaP187 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:59 PM   #179
zeturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaP187 View Post
What matters about a stadium is the inside, not the outside. Inside is pretty good I thought and that´s the part that goes around the world via television, something that architects sometimes forget mop.
Of course, the outside is for architectural value only, but look at stadiums like the Allianz Arena, or the new nou camp or even the birds nest in Beijing. There is certainly something to be said about working on the stadium's outside.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:34 PM   #180
Filipe710

I belive if Benfica wants to change facade they can do it atm because this season with this results we won a lot a money and not only speaking about the players that will sell but our average is around 40k/45k so multiplicate that for an averange 20euros of each ticket by all the matches that we played home and it give somethin around 20million, more sponsors, the paying members (socios) etc.
And Andre where did you heard about that? I would like that Luz had an exterior like Emirates or at least less concrete.
And i belive if we are able to continue with football sucess we will be able to fill stadium every week as was the Old Estadio da Luz that had around 80k by match.
Ps: If anyone can answer me about the question of adding stadiums after the bid is chosen answer me please.

Tags
spain in the world, stadiums spain