daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 10th, 2003, 07:10 PM   #1
nazrey

Likes (Received): 11281

SIN | Singapore Changi Airport

by Kazuo Lim Khee Boon

Last edited by nazrey; November 6th, 2005 at 09:38 AM.
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:12 PM   #2
nazrey

Do you have an overview of Changi International Airport pics?
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:07 PM   #3
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 107

Nice pictures nazrey!
These were found by huaiwei:

Taken 2001 Shows the existing airport, with the reclaimed land for expansion at the bottom left. (with my annotations)

Taken 2002 The northern tip of the new runway can be seen.

Taken 2002 The new runway can be clearly seen, with taxiways to be built next.
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 09:11 PM   #4
nazrey

Em... wow great la.I like it
Thank you

Last edited by nazrey; December 10th, 2003 at 10:15 PM.
Old December 11th, 2003, 12:35 PM   #5
eyetoeye
deceased

Likes (Received): 0

I'm so excited cos' i'll be one one of those planes looking out the window at the world below tomorrow! I'll take lots of pics, k?

"All I want is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power." - Ashleigh Brilliant
eyetoeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 04:38 PM   #6
nazrey

That's lot of thanks if I can see ya .
Old December 11th, 2003, 08:21 PM   #7
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally posted by EyeToEye

I'm so excited cos' i'll be one one of those planes looking out the window at the world below tomorrow! I'll take lots of pics, k?
Hm...and where do you happen to be going to?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 02:23 AM   #8
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Travellers are back at Changi

Airport was used by more travellers last month than in November last year - the first year-on-year increase since March

12 Dec 2003

By Karamjit Kaur And Goh Chin Lian

AFTER eight months of turmoil caused by the Sars outbreak, it's clear skies again for airlines, the latest figures from Changi Airport show.

More passengers used the airport last month than in November a year ago. This is the first year-on-year increase since March this year, said the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS).

Last month, Changi handled 2.4 million passengers, 2.3 per cent more than in November last year.

At the height of the Sars scare, the comparable numbers for April and May were down by nearly half.

No wonder CAAS director-general of civil aviation Wong Woon Liong was all smiles when he welcomed Qatar Airways on its first landing at Changi yesterday at 11am.

The CAAS said in a statement: 'The arrival of Qatar Airways marks a double joy for Changi Airport as we also celebrate an increase in our passenger traffic for November, the first year-on-year increase since Sars hit.'

The Sars scare all but emptied many flights, causing Asian carriers to lose more than $2.5 billion and forcing Singapore Airlines to axe more than a third of its flights.

With the arrival of Qatar Airways, Changi's fifth new customer this year, the airport now services 68 airlines and is linked to 150 cities in 51 countries. The other four are Xiamen Airlines, Air Hong Kong, Riau Airlines and Lion Air.

The addition of a new airline and a new link is significant, said the CAAS' Mr Wong, as it 'reinforces Singapore's position as an aviation hub in the region'.

In April, before the full impact of Sars hit, 64 airlines used Changi and connected Singapore to 134 cities. By June, the number had fallen to 56 carriers and 122 cities.

Qatar Airways will fly three times a week between Doha and Singapore.

Changi Airport handled just over 3,200 flights per week last month. It has some catching up to do. The week before Sars hit Singapore, there were 3,400 flights.

Since the CAAS earns its living mostly from food and beverage outlets - about 60 per cent of its revenue - the number of passengers handled is more significant.

Outside the airport, cash registers at restaurants, shops and hotels have also been ringing in the past months.

Since September, restaurants have seen more tourists, mainly from China, Indonesia and Japan, said Restaurant Association of Singapore president Lee Tong Soon.

Hotel Phoenix is 95 per cent full, the best this year, said general manager Noel Hawkes. 'We were chock-a-block with Indonesians during the Hari Raya period and there are a lot of corporate meetings.'

April was the lowest point, when occupancy plunged to 23 per cent.

The outlook for next year is positive, with three major events - Asian Aerospace 2004 in February, Food&HotelAsia 2004 in April and CommunicAsia2004 in June - expected to bring in about 55,000 business travellers.

Said Mr Hawkes: 'People are travelling again - barring any unforeseen circumstances, we'll have to say.'
Old December 12th, 2003, 02:33 PM   #9
nazrey

This a nice propose terminal project .
Hope to see Changi is a bigger
Old December 12th, 2003, 04:16 PM   #10
huaiwei
The Monkey King

The picture dosent seem to work.......

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old December 12th, 2003, 04:43 PM   #11
Cliff
Tan

Likes (Received): 196

Cliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2003, 08:02 AM   #12
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Changi Airport to get $240m facelift

SINGAPORE -- Changi Airport's Terminal 2 will get a S$240 million (US$138 million) facelift by 2005 to boost its stature as a regional aviation hub, the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (Caas) said on Thursday.

The 13-year-old terminal will sport a new glass facade that will allow natural light into the departure area on completion, Caas said in a statement.

A bigger canopy will also be constructed to shield passengers from the rain when alighting from their vehicles on the departure level.

Its interiors will be reorganised to make it easier for passengers to move around and more space will be alloted for retail, food and beverage shops, landscape and seating facilities.

Transport Minister Yeo Cheow Tong, who inspected the renovation work on Thursday, also announced a separate $40-million scheme to reward airlines that increase their passenger traffic to Changi.

The scheme will take effect for two years from Jan 2004.

'We recognise the importance our airline partners play in contributing to the growth of our position as an international hub,' Mr Yeo said. -- AFP

Rendering of kerbside departure
Old January 12th, 2004, 10:03 AM   #13
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Changi Airport offers travellers new entertainment facilities in transit area

SINGAPORE : Most Singaporean travellers just zip in and out of Changi Airport.

But if travellers have a few hours to spare, they can find several hidden corners that will entertain you in the transit area.

Imagine a swimming pool right smack in the heart of Changi.

While many may not realise it, that is exactly what one can find in Terminal 1, tucked away just above the Skytrain station.

And while the upgrading for this terminal has not really taken off yet, it has already received a $800,000 Rainforest Lounge that opened officially about two months ago - with jacuzzis and rest beds.

Meanwhile, over at Terminal 2, additions have been made to existing features like a cinema that screens the latest blockbusters.

And there is also a year-old sunflower garden that has become a favourite with many travellers wanting to get out into the open.

And what is a Singapore airport experience without that one staple - shopping.

Airport authorities say that a substantial portion of the $240 million earmarked for Terminal 2's upgrading will go towards allocating more shop space.

This is something they say passengers asked for.

"The facilities are clean, the shopping is quite cheap I only bought cosmetics and it is cheap," said one shopper.

"It's great! Many shops, many lounges, more cafes we can take more time. It's really convenient here compared to the other airports," said another.
Old January 14th, 2004, 01:40 PM   #14
perthguy78

Likes (Received): 13

cool,
i will be there at the end of the month..
just came through klia and i must say i hate it,,,, sucks compared to singapore and HK

Perth- A better place to live!
perthguy78 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 07:18 AM   #15
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 37

Good if your in transit for a few hours
Old January 26th, 2004, 10:09 PM   #16
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Changi named world's best airport

It wins 18 top awards from industry organisations, magazines; SIA shares top honours as best airline

By Karamjit Kaur

CHANGI Airport is putting up a tough fight to ward off the competition, bagging 18 of the top awards given out last year by aviation organisations and industry magazines. It was, for example, named the best airport in the world and the Asia-Pacific region, in the Global Airport Monitor of the International Air Transport Association (Iata). Changi beat more than 10 other airports which handle 25 to 40 million passengers, to clinch the top prizes in the surveys done by Iata, which represents more than 250 airlines.

In another key passenger survey, though Changi lost out to Hong Kong, the contest was very close, according to London-based airline consultancy Skytrax Research, which compiled the results. Close to 1.7 million travellers took part in Skytrax's survey which rated airports on different variables, including passenger service standards, ground transport services and security/immigration services. Third after Hong Kong and Changi was Dubai International Airport.

Passengers polled by Skytrax may have rated Changi second, but the consultancy, which is conducting its own airport audits, has awarded five stars to Changi and only to Changi so far, for a high level of service and product delivery. The Skytrax audit covers not just airport staff but also service levels at airport restaurant and shops.

A Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) spokesman said: 'We are very happy Changi Airport is the first and only airport that has been rated '5 stars' in the Skytrax audit. While Changi has performed well in the audit, we have also identified areas for improvement. We will work hard at improving on those areas.' Skytrax is also ranking airlines separately and has given top honours to Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific Airways.

Honours aside, SIA is gearing up for the challenges ahead. In SIA's in-house newsletter, SIA chief executive officer Chew Choon Seng told staff that the airline faces a tough year battling low-cost carriers and increased competition in long-haul travel.

Such challenges, he warned, will come 'thick and fast'. SIA needs to adopt a flexible cost structure that will let it compete effectively and at the same time be responsive to deal with unpredictable rough patches.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:53 PM   #17
huaiwei
The Monkey King

18 awards? Thats several fewer then last year's..but does it matter?

Old February 13th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #18
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Changes a must to keep Changi a premier hub
Upgrading, building Terminal 3 and third ground operator are needed for airport to keep pace with rivals, says minister

7 Feb 2004 By Rebecca Lee

THE retrofitting taking place at Changi Airport will help Singapore maintain its position on the global aviation map, while plans to issue a licence to a third ground handling operator will keep costs at the airport competitive.

Transport Minister Yeo Cheow Tong yesterday listed measures being taken to maintain the unique 'Changi experience' and reduce airlines' cost of operating here, in reply to Madam Ho Geok Choo (West Coast GRC).

These include building Terminal 3, which is on track to be completed in 2008 at a cost of $1.75 billion. Plans are also under way to upgrade Terminal 1 at the end of next year. The upgrading is scheduled to be completed in 2008. The ministry is also studying the feasibility of a new terminal for low-cost carriers.

The nearly $2 billion being spent to enhance Changi is not too much, he told Non-Constituency MP Steve Chia, who asked if cost reduction should be a priority instead.

Mr Yeo said this was because in the 14 years since Terminal 2 opened in 1990, other airports have caught up. Changi needs to keep pace if it is to remain the airport of choice for passengers.

To further ensure costs are kept low for airlines, a third ground handler will be introduced to enhance competition and make services more price-competitive.

Asked by Madam Ho, a vice-president of human resources at Singapore Airlines Engineering, if passenger traffic supports a third operator, Mr Yeo trotted out some numbers.

Passenger traffic tripled from 8.1 million when Singapore Airport Terminal Services (Sats) and Changi International Airport Services were set up 20 years ago, to 28 million in 2002. This is expected to grow to about 32 million in the next few years.

He also drew on the experiences of other airports to show there was 'plenty of scope' for a third operator. Hong Kong International Airport, which handled 27.4 million passengers last year, has seven passenger handling companies, three apron handling companies and another three in-flight catering firms.

At Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport, whose annual passenger numbers are about 40 million, there are four ground handling companies and three in-flight catering service companies.

Asked by Mr Inderjit Singh (Ang Mo Kio GRC) if foreign players can enter the market - or if the Government is setting up another government-linked company, Mr Yeo said the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore has invited offshore companies to bid for the new licence.

Old February 13th, 2004, 03:10 PM   #19
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally posted by Trances

Good if your in transit for a few hours
Unlike me, who cant seem to get a chance to exprience any of those since I got through the airport too fast??

Old February 13th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #20
heirloom

Likes (Received): 2

i think it's amazing that changi can still receive so many accolades and excellent passenger reviews even though its so old and comparatively ugly... impression counts for alot and changi airport's terminals dont relaly give a good impression at first glance
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
changi airport, singapore, singapore airlines, south asian hub airport