daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2005, 05:53 AM   #481
Stamford Island
You & I were meant to fly

Likes (Received): 0

Just the other day I looked up from my school and flying overhead was a Jet Airways 737-800
Stamford Island no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #482
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamford Island
Just the other day I looked up from my school and flying overhead was a Jet Airways 737-800
Thats cool....
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 06:10 PM   #483
Stamford Island
You & I were meant to fly

Likes (Received): 0

Yeah. Sometimes I use a telescope to view planes from school. From my school there is a view of Republic Plaza and theres this flight path from Changi which takes planes 'over' Republic plaza. Once I saw the SQ Star Alliance plane and a Cathay 744, then a Lufthansa 744 at night. Usually the planes which fly above my school are SQ 777s.
Stamford Island no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 05:25 PM   #484
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Just make use of the airport 1 hour ago. When I alight my flight(the flight is full btw), I went to buy somethings before i go to the immigration. When I went to the immigration, the crowd was gone.......

Then i went to collect my lugguge......waited less than 1 min b4 i saw my lugguge.......then i went to take a cab........The whole process lasted less than 20 mins (inclusive of me buying things)......
Old June 8th, 2005, 07:35 PM   #485
drwho
slacker oui!

Likes (Received): 1

babystan> awesome!
so did you take nice pictures?had a nice travel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamford Island
cool
drwho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 07:38 PM   #486
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwho
babystan> awesome!
so did you take nice pictures?had a nice travel?
Very nice.....thanks.....

(Thats why no time to reply your PM, sori.... )
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:55 AM   #487
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Indian Airlines and Valuair.....

Old June 10th, 2005, 10:56 AM   #488
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Vietnam Airlines

Old June 10th, 2005, 12:48 PM   #489
drwho
slacker oui!

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
Very nice.....thanks.....

(Thats why no time to reply your PM, sori.... )
its ok leh

btw Sahara-airline picture is cool thanks
drwho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 01:53 PM   #490
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Business Times - 14 Jun 2005

SATS handles 9.1% more passengers in May

SINGAPORE Airport Terminal Services (SATS), the ground-handling unit of Singapore Airlines (SIA), said it handled 9.1 per cent more passengers last month, helped by increased travel demand.

The company handled 2.12 million passengers in May, an increase from 1.94 million in the same month last year, SATS said yesterday in a statement to the Singapore Exchange. It processed 115,720 tonnes of cargo and mail, 2.8 per cent fewer than a year earlier.

SATS has been benefiting from the rise in visitor arrivals to the city state which grew every month this year, up 7.5 per cent in April to 702,170 visitors from a year earlier. The company moves about 80 per cent of the cargo at Changi Airport and provides baggage and security services for more than 30 million passengers that used the terminal in 2004.

The Singapore company, which provides catering to customers such as SIA, Cathay Pacific Airways and British Airways, handled 7,100 flights last month, about 15 per cent more than in the same month last year.

SATS, which faces increased competition for Singapore's ground-handling services, is diversifying its earnings base and tapping growth markets through overseas investments. It has ventures in Taipei, Indonesia, Hong Kong, India, and the Maldives.

The company, which is about 86 per cent owned by SIA, competes domestically with Changi International Airport Services Pte, which is being taken over by Emirates Group. Swissport International AG in March started operations as the third service operator in Singapore.

SATS shares yesterday rose two cents to S$2.14, the highest closing price in more than three months. The stock has risen 6.5 per cent this year, compared with a 7.4 per cent increase of the benchmark Strait Times Index. - Bloomberg

Copyright © 2005 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.
Old June 16th, 2005, 01:27 PM   #491
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Business Times - 16 Jun 2005

SIA passenger, cargo factors lowest in years

This while airline continues to boost capacity on key Asia Pacific routes

By VEN SREENIVASAN

SINGAPORE Airlines' passenger and cargo load factors fell to their lowest levels in years last month as the airline continued to boost capacity on key routes in the Asia Pacific.

SIA's passenger load factor dipped to 67.4 per cent last month as a 5.5 per cent increase in passenger carriage (in passenger kilometres) came amid a 6.8 per cent increase in systemwide capacity (in available seat kilometres).

This is the lowest since May 2003, when a sharp drop in air travel during the Sars pandemic resulted in its passenger load factor diving to 53.1 per cent. Last month's passenger load factor was also down from 68.2 per cent in May 2004, and 71.5 per cent in April 2005.

The pressure on load factor was the result of the airline introducing more flights to Ahmedabad and Amritsar, as well as boosting capacity on existing routes in the West Asia, East Asia and South-west Pacific regions, such as those to Mumbai, Kolkata, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Auckland, Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth.

But the airline said it enjoyed the largest growth in passenger traffic on its East Asian routes. This was mainly due to an increase in demand for travel on the South-east Asia routes.

Meanwhile, flat cargo traffic (measured in freight tonne-km) versus a capacity increase of 7.8 per cent, particularly in the bellyhold of flights on the West Asia and South West Pacific routes, saw cargo capacity drop to 60.2 per cent in May. During the same month last year, SIA enjoyed a cargo load factor of 64.6 per cent.

Also weighing down on cargo load factor was the addition of more freighter services to Europe to cater to strong demand from West Asia (in particular Bangalore, Chennai and Delhi).

Overall load factor for the month was 62.8 per cent, the lowest since April 2003 when it registered a load factor of 58.7 per cent.

Meanwhile, Changi Airport reported that its passenger volumes rose by 9.8 per cent to 2.61 million last month from a year ago, driven by increased demand for air travel during the Vesak Day weekend.

In the first five months of 2005, Changi Airport registered a total of 12.64 million passengers, a 7.1 per cent year-on-year increase. But Changi's air cargo throughput dropped 1.7 per cent year on year to 145,200 tonnes in May.

In all, Changi Airport handled 719,900 tonnes of cargo from January to May 2005 - a 1.9 per cent growth compared to the same period a year ago.

Seventy nine airlines operate more than 3,900 weekly flights flight Changi.

SIA shares inched up 10 cents to $11.50 yesterday, still off their 52-week high of $12.90.

Old June 25th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #492
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

25 June 2005

Singapore's architectural projects go on show at Changi Airport T2

By Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : The collection of works from Singapore's first exhibition at the Venice Architectural Biennale has returned home.

They are being displayed at the Changi Airport Terminal 2 so that visitors can learn something about the city state through these unique architectural projects.

Among the 16 exhibits are the Esplanade, Victoria School and the Changi Airport.

The display, themed Second Nature, explored ways to rediscover and integrate nature as part of architectural design while at the same time responding to the people's needs.

Located within the Departure and Transit Lounge, the exhibition is set to captivate thousands of travellers.

"My transit is 18 hours and this is also nice to have to look at. It's different, not only eating and watching airplanes, but also looking at buildings, it's nice for a change," said one traveller.

"I am in Singapore on a 7-hour transit and I chance upon this exhibition. I like the architecture of a church," added another.

Some 30 million visitors come through Changi Airport each year and this showcase could help increase international awareness for Singapore designers.

The exhibition runs till July 15th. - CNA /ch

Copyright © 2005 MCN International Pte Ltd
Old June 28th, 2005, 05:42 AM   #493
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

June 28, 2005
PM Lee hopes for more air links between S'pore, India
Further liberalising air services will boost people-flow and opportunities

PRIME Minister Lee Hsien Loong would like to see air services between India and Singapore further liberalised, as the flow of people will stimulate more business and other opportunities.

The Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (Ceca) with India is a 'very good big move', he told The Hindu newspaper, and added that there was potential for deeper engagement.

'If we are prepared to open up, if we are prepared to have more linkages and to be bolder in our policy moves, I think a lot more can happen,' he said in an interview published yesterday.

Mr Lee travels to India this week for the Ceca's signing. He was interviewed by The Hindu last Thursday and was asked, among other things, what he saw lacking in the agreement.

Citing Singapore's desire to further liberalise air services, he said: 'The more you have got people-flows, the more opportunities will be stimulated and the more business will be generated; not just tourism but people travel, they can see the opportunities, they make linkages, contacts and then new activities will sprout.'

Singapore and India held talks in March on increasing the number of flights between the two countries. But no final agreement was reached. There are currently 226 weekly passenger flights between Singapore and 11 Indian cities.

Mr Lee described the Ceca as a landmark for India as it is the country's first such comprehensive agreement.

'It is a very big psychological step to go from your old policy of substantial self-sufficiency to one where you want to link up and open up your markets in a controlled sort of way and encourage greater linkages and exchanges.

'And it is not just with Singapore because once you have got your own agreement with Singapore, the groundwork is laid for agreements with many other countries in Asean, but not just in Asean.'

He noted that while the volume of bilateral trade and economic flows was relatively small, Singapore's trade with India last year grew faster than its trade with China.

'If we can sustain that for a few more years, then I think India would become very important to us, even more important to us than it is already. The base is low, but the potential is great.'

When the agreement comes into effect on Aug 1, Singapore banks will get greater access to the Indian market and 80 per cent of Singapore's current exports to India by value will be duty-free.

He also spoke about the increased defence cooperation and, in response to a question, said it was conceivable that there could be some way for India and others to contribute to security of the Malacca Strait.

He added that the economic rise of India and China would contribute to a stable security environment throughout Asia.

Copyright © 2005 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved
Old July 1st, 2005, 03:39 AM   #494
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

July 1, 2005
PM LEE IN INDIA
Air services an 'obvious area for deeper engagement'
PM Lee says India has much to gain from allowing more passenger flights

By Ravi Velloor
India Bureau Chief

NEW DELHI - PRIME MINISTER Lee Hsien Loong pushed for liberalising air services between India and Singapore a day after signing a sweeping economic agreement with New Delhi.

'Ceca is just the beginning of what Singapore and India can do together. One obvious area for deeper engagement is air passenger services,' he said, addressing the country's top three industry chambers.

Singapore itself had gained from giving foreign carriers easy access. The Republic gets eight million tourists a year, double its resident population, Mr Lee said.

The issue also figured in talks with his Indian counterpart, Dr Manmohan Singh, on Wednesday.

Mr Lee pointed out that an open skies policy with China had already resulted in 190 flights a week between the two countries.

Between India and Singapore, however, there were a mere 110 weekly flights, putting travellers on the route at a disadvantage. He himself was forced to take the overnight flight back home for want of a more convenient schedule, he told the business gathering.

His remarks fetched an instant response from Mr Saroj Datta, executive director of Jet Airways, India's No. 1 domestic carrier, which was allowed to start flights to Singapore earlier this year.

Mr Datta rose to thank Singapore effusively for the reception that his airline had received from the authorities.

He also made it clear that Indian private carriers such as his did not oppose more rights being granted to Singapore Airlines on the India routes.

'We also support your idea of further liberalisation of air services between our two countries,' he said.

India's government has calibrated its easing of air rights into the country, partly to protect flag carrier Air India and the domestic Indian Airlines, which also flies to regional destinations. Both airlines are now poised for a massive fleet renewal.

Mr Lee again drove home his point when an Indian hotelier asked him about Singapore's apparent lack of interest in India's hotel industry.

The Prime Minister pointed to Singapore businessman Satpal Khattar, who owns a hotel in New Delhi. Besides, he said, he had also heard of a Singaporean investor who intends to build a hotel in the Himalayan heights of Leh, Jammu and Kashmir state.

Then he returned to the air services theme and the lack of connectivity crimping visitors, adding his belief that tourism into India could quadruple if visitors had more choice of flights.

Indian Industry and Commerce Minister Kamal Nath said New Delhi was ready to start negotiations on an open skies agreement with Singapore.

'India has expressed its intention to move forward on this in the next one month,' he said, addressing a joint press conference with Singapore Trade and Industry Minister Lim Hng Kiang.

Difficult decisions to make

'We already have open skies with Australia except for one important aspect, which is the trans-Pacific - Melbourne to the west coast of the United States. The Australian government is considering (Singapore's request for onward flights to the US), so I really do not want to prejudge that.

'I think both will be difficult decisions for the governments to make. They will be concerned about the national perspectives and also the interests of their national carriers - Qantas for Australia, Air India for the other.

'These are trade-offs and balances that governments have to make. In Singapore, we are quite clear that Singapore's interest has to come first and SIA has to earn its living, which indeed it has done well.'

PM LEE, on the chances of a Singapore-India open skies agreement as compared with Australia

Copyright © 2005 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
Old July 1st, 2005, 11:33 AM   #495
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

30 June 2005

Singapore aims to be the logistics hub for perishable goods in the region

By Mike Lim, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE: Singapore is not contented in just being the logistics and transhipment hub for normal cargo.

It now aims to become the logistics hub for perishable goods in the Asia Pacific Region.

Singapore is aiming for a larger slice of the intra-Asian perishable trade which is worth some US$300 billion annually.

According to industry experts, Singapore's current market share stands at about US$1 billion.

In order to do that they have said Singapore may have to set up a facility specially to handle perishable goods that are being shipped to and from Europe or the US into Asia.

"For that you need to have a facility which can be a perishable centre, which can capture these trade flows. Which can do a little bit of aggregation, consolidation, add value handle the multi modal transportation and then ship it out from here. So that kind of facility has to be built up in Singapore, probably at Changi Airport and should be done very quickly," said Rajesh Srivastava, regional head, Asia, Food and Agribusiness for Rabobank International. - CNA /dt

Copyright © 2005 MCN International Pte Ltd
Old July 5th, 2005, 01:34 AM   #496
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

July 5, 2005
Rising fuel surcharges eat into airfare savings
Travellers now pay up to 80% more in surcharges and taxes

By Arthur Poon

AIRFARES are cheaper these days, but prices have not come down as much because fuel surcharges are rising.

For longer flights, the rise has caused passengers to have to pay as much as 80 per cent more in taxes and surcharges. So travellers from Singapore to, say, the Indian city of New Delhi, now have to pay $115 compared to $64 a year ago.

On shorter trips, the rise is 40 per cent. This means passengers flying to Bangkok and Jakarta pay $73 per ticket, up from $53.

So although the air fares in advertisements show a big drop, the eventual savings for passengers are slight, if any.

This is the finding of a comparison of the fares to five cities from Singapore done by travel agency Carlson Wagonlit, a leader in selling air tickets to companies.

Said its chief operating officer Berthold Trenkel: 'Low-cost carriers have forced incumbents to publish very low fares on certain routes but these come with restrictions. And even when fares are reduced, the cuts are often offset by increases in fuel surcharges.'

The cities compared are Bangkok, Hong Kong, Mumbai, New Delhi and Jakarta and the changes refer to the first five months of this year against the same period last year.

The comparison found that fares, on average, went down 7 per cent but savings for passengers are just 3 per cent. Because in that time, taxes and surcharges have risen around 30 per cent. For instance, the fare from Singapore to Mumbai has come down $54. But the tax and fuel surcharge have risen by $43, to $107 - an increase of about 70 per cent.

On the other hand, tax and fuel surcharge rose by just $5, on flights to Hong Kong. Air fares, on the other hand, have fallen by $45. So people flying to Hong Kong enjoy the most savings: $40.

Worst off are those flying to Bangkok. Despite fare cuts of $21, by the time travellers add the tax and fuel charges, they save just $1.

The higher fuel surcharge is because crude oil is now costlier, with prices hovering above US$55 (S$93) a barrel against last year's average of US$38 a barrel.

Airlines face the prospect of paying US$83 billion for fuel this year, 31 per cent more than last year, said the International Air Transport Association.

Some travel agents also expect airport taxes to go up because of the emergence of low-cost carriers. 'The sudden influx of carriers means they have to compete for services like check-in counters, aero-bridges and airport security, and airports will want to charge more,' said Mr Robin Yap, director of travel specialist Insight Vacations.

Departure tax at Changi has remained at $15 per traveller and a $6 security charge was introduced after the Sept 11 attacks.

Said Mr Robert Khoo, chief executive officer of the National Association of Travel Agents Singapore: 'Consumers should be wary that advertised fares exclude taxes and fuel surcharges. Also, airlines should be encouraged to be totally transparent, and to make known the final price of tickets, inclusive of the add-ons.'

Old July 6th, 2005, 05:32 AM   #497
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

SAS moves regional office to Singapore

27 Jun 05

By Arthur Poon

SCANDINAVIAN Airlines (SAS) moved its regional management team from Bangkok to Singapore last month to cater to the burgeoning business from corporate clients based here.

SAS' newly appointed general manager for South-east Asia, Mr Hakan Olsson, said: 'Corporate customers in Singapore are our focus area and we believe by relocating our senior management here, we will serve their needs better.'

While staff strength in Thailand and Singapore will remain roughly the same at 26 each, the sales and marketing team in Bangkok will now report to Mr Olsson, who is based here.

Singapore has the largest Scandinavian community outside Europe, with 800 corporations and 3,500 families here, he said.

Last year, corporate accounts yielded $6 million, making up 30 per cent of to- tal revenue generated from flights originating from Sin- gapore. This was up from $5.3 million in 2003.

Said Mr Olsson: 'We are seeing strong growth in our business from Singapore-based Scandinavian companies, and we expect the trend to continue.'

SAS International - the international airline arm of SAS Group - counts packaging specialist Tetra Pak, furniture giant Ikea and shipping firm AP Moller-Maersk as some of its Singapore customers.

The airline, Europe's fourth-largest, operates non-stop flights from Copenhagen to Tokyo, Beijing, Shanghai and Bangkok in Asia. It reported $1.7 billion in revenue last year.

It also operates non-stop flights from Copenhagen to New York, Chicago, Washington and Seattle.

Mr Olsson forecasts SAS' revenue from Singapore corporates will grow at an annualised rate of 10 per cent over the next three years.

Travellers from Singapore heading to Copenhagen have to stop over in Bangkok. However, the airline's long-term strategy would be to fly non-stop.

'Making Singapore the regional office is the first step in our strategy, and we will buy new aircraft to achieve our long-term goal to fly direct to Copenhagen,' said Mr Olsson.

SAS flies the Singapore-Bangkok-Copenhagen route six times a week on 262-seater Airbus A340-300s planes.

The load factor averages about 85 per cent.

Old July 9th, 2005, 02:49 AM   #498
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

July 9, 2005
New S'pore-India flights? No take-off yet
Demand ballooning but no increase in flights until expanded air pact is inked

By Arthur Poon

DESPITE growing demand for flights between India and Singapore, an open-skies agreement may still be some years away.

However, with air traffic between the two countries increasing at a dramatic rate and capacity having already reached its limit under the existing agreement, a gradual move towards complete liberalisation looks inevitable, industry players believe.

Jet Airways, India's largest domestic carrier, said it recently submitted a proposal to expand its services to Singapore from seven to 35 flights a week, from Bangalore, Delhi, Hyderabad, Chennai and Mumbai.

Mr Wolfgang Prock-Schauer, chief executive of Jet Airways, told The Straits Times yesterday that the airline has recently placed orders for 10 Boeing 777s and 10 Airbus A330 planes at an estimated cost of US$4.6 billion as part of its expansion plans.

But these plans will stay on the runway unless the governments of Singapore and India can agree on an expanded air services agreement.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong advocated the liberalisation of air services between both countries when he signed the Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement with New Delhi last month.

But India has so far calibrated the granting of new air rights into the country to protect flag carrier Air India and the domestic carrier Indian Airlines.

Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) figures showed that for 2003/04, passenger and cargo traffic between Singapore and India grew by 25 per cent and 23 per cent respectively, reaching 1.5 million passengers and 86,000 tonnes of cargo.

There are now 232 weekly scheduled passenger flights and 16 weekly scheduled freighter flights between Singapore and India, operated by six airlines, including Singapore Airlines, SilkAir, Indian Airlines, Air India, Jet Airways and Air Sahara.

A CAAS spokesman said: 'Singapore carriers have used up the capacity provided for under the Air Services Agreement to operate flights between Singapore and the major cities in India.'

SIA, like Jet Airways, will have to wait for a new bilateral air rights agreement before it can add new flights to India.

'There should not be any major stumbling blocks if both sides understand the needs and position of the other party,' Mr Prock-Schauer said.

However, even Mr Prock-Schauer agrees that India should 'not switch immediately from a restrictive regime to completely open skies'.

'It may be more beneficial if all carriers operating between Singapore and India are given adequate capacity in an evolutionary manner to match the rising demand,' he said.

Old July 9th, 2005, 01:17 PM   #499
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Business Times - 09 Jul 2005

Indian low-cost carriers not a threat, says Jet Airways

By VEN SREENIVASAN

(SINGAPORE) An Indian full-service airline that has just opened a regional headquarters in Singapore does not see the proliferation of low-cost carriers in India posing much of a challenge.

Jet Airways chief executive Wolfgang Prock-Schauer said the cost advantage they enjoy is much less than that in the US or Europe.

'In India, 80 per cent of the cost of operations for domestic carriers is not dependent on the business model,' he told BT.

'Whether you are a low-cost carrier or a full-service carrier like us, you face the same landing charges, ground-handling costs and maintenance expenditure. There is a very marginal cost differential or advantage. The only thing they can really do is put more seats into their planes.'

Mr Prock-Schauer, in Singapore to mark the opening of Jet Airways' office here, said the company will stick with its quality-service model, which includes a wider seat pitch and a business class unsurpassed in the Indian market.

With the liberalisation of that market, passenger traffic surged 25 per cent last year. Low-cost newcomers such as Kingfisher, Indigo, SpiceJet and Deccan have jumped on board.

Clearly, such newcomers expect business to grow - they accounted for 28 per cent of orders and commitments for Airbus and Boeing planes at the Paris Air Show last month.

Boeing expects Indian carriers to buy US$35 billion of aircraft in the next 20 years. And Airbus said Indian carriers will buy 570 planes by 2023.

Mr Prock-Schauer, who spent 20 years with Austrian Airlines before joining Jet Airways in 2003, said Jet's main challenge is the country's crumbling airport infrastructure, which contributes to high operating costs.

'In terms of the regulatory regime, most of the pieces are falling into place,' he said. 'But airport infrastructure and bottlenecks are major issues, though this is also being addressed. Landing and ground handling charges could also be lower.'

Fuel is also an issue for private operators such as Jet, he said. 'In India we are not allowed to hedge against fuel. Currently we pay 60-70 per cent more for fuel in India than we pay overseas on international routes.'

Fuel is Jet's biggest single cost, accounting for 30 per cent of total operating expenditure.

Nevertheless, the airline is doing well, and analysts expect it to unveil solid quarterly results on July 20.

Founded by Naresh Goyal, Jet operates about 2,000 weekly flights to 42 destinations, most of them domestic. It has 43 per cent of India's domestic market.

The company, which raised US$436 million through an initial public offer this year, has ambitious plans to expand its international routes.

It recently placed almost US$5 billion of orders with Boeing and Airbus for 30 narrow and wide-body aircraft.

Mr Prock-Schauer said these planes - Boeing 777 long-haul, Boeing 737s and Airbus 330s - will serve Jet's planned medium and long-haul international routes.

Besides Singapore and KL, its international destinations now are Heathrow, Colombo and Katmandu. It will soon start services to Brussels and Newark, New Jersey, and has rights to fly to Bangkok.

Jet is filling more than 70 per cent of seats on its 737-800 aircraft plying the Mumbai-Singapore and Chennai-Kuala Lumpur routes. Besides adding flights to both cities, it also wants to start flights from Singapore and KL to other Indian cities, such as New Delhi and Bangalore.

Singapore, which is its regional headquarters, will also become its regional hub as it expands its East Asia footprint.

Despite its aggressive international expansion plans, Jet has no intention of joining an airline alliance.

'Instead of joining alliances, we prefer to select strategic partners on the specific routes where we operate,' Mr Prock-Schauer said. 'Currently we have signed MOUs with Malaysian Airlines and Thai Airways.'

Like alliance arrangements, these partnerships will include code share and frequent flyer miles programmes, he said.

Old July 13th, 2005, 02:08 PM   #500
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Business Times - 13 Jul 2005

H1 passengers at Changi airport up 7.2%

SINGAPORE - Passenger traffic at Changi international airport rose 7.2 per cent in the first half of this year, aviation authorities said on Wednesday.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore said 15.44 million passengers passed through the airport in the fist six months of 2005.

It said June was the busiest month with passengers totalling 2.81 million, up 7.8 per cent on the same month in 2004.

The aviation authority did not give any reasons for the rise but government officials have previously said the introduction of budget airlines to Singapore has given the airport a boost.

Three Singapore budget airlines have begun operating from Changi since May last year, while the Thai arm of Malaysia's AirAsia also flies between the Republic and Bangkok.

Tags
changi airport, singapore, singapore airlines, south asian hub airport