daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation All about taking us higher

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 4th, 2004, 10:25 AM   #41
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
Well if you are a frequent user of SKII, and you know you can get it duty free in changi plus you are a frequent traveller(or who always transit in Changi), why not???
Funny way of getting passenger traffic..but it works?

Are there any other speciality shops in Changi worth visiting?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old May 4th, 2004, 11:16 AM   #42
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Funny way of getting passenger traffic..but it works?

Are there any other speciality shops in Changi worth visiting?
Taken from Changi website

1.The first Mercedes-Benz boutique in Asia Pacific. offers a wide selection of exclusive Mercedes-Benz trendy gifts items. Expect no less than the Mercedes-Benz standard of quality and design that is made famous by the three-pointed star. On display will be model cars, formula-one items, children's toys, golf and lifestyle accessories.

2. Ten Ren's Tea
In this quaint yet modern Chinese teashop, you'll find shelves decked with giant urns containing varieties of tea leaves, and pretty ceramic teapots on display (yes, they're for sale). The Taiwanese Ten Ren Tea Company is one of the largest in Asia. You can get all varieties of tea leaves here, especially King's Tea, a Ten Ren exclusive. It's a high-quality blend of Oolong and ginseng that leaves a sweet aftertaste. Don't know your Oolong from your Jasmine? Don't worry, the knowledgeable sales staff will fix you a brew. Fancy a nibble of some green tea? You'll be tickled by our green tea snacks, candy, pumpkin seeds,and soft chewy sweets.

For more information, refer to http://www.changi.airport.com.sg/cha...=1083661799361
babystan03 no está en línea  
Old May 5th, 2004, 08:00 AM   #43
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

老字号炒饭 香飘樟宜机场

新闻:新加坡 2004-05-05

● 林顺华

你在出国公干前突然有一股想吃本地著名老字号陈福记炒饭的冲动?或是慕名的外国朋友在我国转机时想品尝这道新加坡招牌炒饭?

民航局为让人人拥有非常难忘美好的樟宜经历(Changi Experience),把这些本地美食品牌引入机场,好让国人能寻获到熟悉的口味,外国游客则能齿颊留香,心满意足地飞离我国。

樟宜机场第二搭客大厦过境厅内的“樟宜美食街”(Taste of Changi),吸引陈福记“入伙”,让众人可在登机前享受一碟远近驰名的金黄炒饭。

民航局高级商业经理陆善行指出,刚从去年9月陆续传出美食香味的美食街,所占面积比以前的食阁大了一倍。如今,食街有七家餐馆,无论是汉堡包王快餐、日本元气寿司或是印度素食等,都是搭客或机场员工大快朵颐的理想场所。

“新加坡是个美食天堂,但以前的食阁只售卖本地食物。我们要把本地老字号或国际知名美食品牌集中在一起,为顾客提供更多不同的选择。”

他透露,当第一搭客大厦进行翻新时,民航局也考虑把类似的美食街概念推广开去。

陈福记是在Select Service Partner(SSP)穿针引线下,在机场内设立第五家分店。SSP是一家英国公司,在全球145个机场内经营各类餐馆,也在各地火车站或游轮中心有类似业务。

SSP(新加坡)私人有限公司总经理李为民指出,公司愿意配合民航局的计划,把更多本地著名美食品牌带入机场。所以即使新店铺是以面食为主,但陈福记的十道招牌菜也都列在菜单内。

他说:“陈福记专门调了一名厨师在这里一年,除烹煮原汁原味佳肴,也培训接班人。由于机场营业时间长,随时也可能有顾客进出面家,所以我们注重现点现卖,以确保食物的品质。”

他指出,陈福记自上月开张后,营业额令人鼓舞,吸引不少外国游客和国人捧场,其中不乏日本游客。

铺满新鲜蟹肉和鲜虾的金黄色陈福记炒饭,自50年由陈家两姐妹创造出来后大受国内外顾客欢迎。日本人尤其喜欢她们的炒饭,从此两人的名声不胫而走,以致每碟炒饭曾一度叫价25元,但仍吸引不少饕客的支持。

炒饭师傅杨铭(27岁)指出,即使在机场厨房里,炒饭选用的材料、准备工作和火候掌控功夫都不可马虎,以维持水准。但在准备其他食物时,由于转机搭客等候时间有限,所以厨师的速度要更快。

赶着搭飞机到印尼的当麻明纪(37岁,广告业人士)品尝炒饭后说:“把饭和蟹肉结合在一起炒,感觉上很怪,但吃了之后却发现味道很特别,让人非常着迷。”
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:52 AM   #44
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Taken from Changi website

1.The first Mercedes-Benz boutique in Asia Pacific. offers a wide selection of exclusive Mercedes-Benz trendy gifts items. Expect no less than the Mercedes-Benz standard of quality and design that is made famous by the three-pointed star. On display will be model cars, formula-one items, children's toys, golf and lifestyle accessories.
Now this is something I have never heard of!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea  
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:54 PM   #45
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Now this is something I have never heard of!
I suppose that's why they call it a specialty shop???
Old May 5th, 2004, 02:03 PM   #46
heirloom

doesnt sound like a shop that i'd go to...
heirloom no está en línea  
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:22 PM   #47
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Singapore's Changi Airport voted world's best airport

Time is GMT + 8 hours
Posted: 05 May 2004 1804 hrs

By Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : Changi Airport has been voted the Best Airport in the World by readers of Business Traveller.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore accepted the award on Wednesday in Dubai.

In another survey conducted by the International Air Transport Association and the Airports Council International, Changi Airport was also voted the best in Asia.

More than 50,000 passengers from 35 major international airports participated in the survey.

Copyright © 2004 MCN International Pte Ltd
Old May 6th, 2004, 12:37 AM   #48
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
doesnt sound like a shop that i'd go to...
But I suppose the Tea shop should be much more palatable to you er?

huaiwei no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2004, 01:08 AM   #49
heirloom

i guesss.. but i dont bother about shopping in changi? i wonder if haagen dazs there is cheaper...
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:24 AM   #50
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
i guesss.. but i dont bother about shopping in changi? i wonder if haagen dazs there is cheaper...
Haagan dazz in the airport as well???

I dont think airport stuff over here are particularly cheap...unless u r in the transit area!

huaiwei no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2004, 05:30 AM   #51
asian_horizon

Likes (Received):

yeah, thnx for the excellent pics!!! wow nice spectacular view. I always had a fascination for Singapore's Changi Airport. I haven't been to Terminal 1 for ages. Want to go back there some day. Been to Terminal 2 tho this year and in late 2002. Its just nice and easy to get to from checking in luggage to boarding flight to destination.

its good that Singapore is reclaiming more land for another runway. it will have face stiffer competition from the new bangkok airport.

Old May 6th, 2004, 12:20 PM   #52
heirloom

duty free haagen dazs?
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:43 PM   #53
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1189

Quote:

yeah....I remember seeing this when I was on transit at Changi a couple of years back......I am a big Mercedes fan!
szehoong no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2004, 02:19 AM   #54
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Temasek seeks buyer for Changi ground handler

Move to sell CIAS comes hot on heels of news that two foreign firms have put in bids to become third operator at airport

By Nicholas Fang

A SHAKE-UP among the ground handlers at Changi Airport is gaining pace after Temasek Holdings announced yesterday that one of the two existing operators - Changi International Airport Services (CIAS) - is up for sale.

This sale - which analysts suggest could raise about $400 million - comes just two days after news that two foreign firms have sent in bids to become the third ground-handling operator at Changi Airport.

And it comes a month after Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew said Singapore Airlines may need to sell the No. 1 operator, Singapore Airport Terminal Services (Sats) in the carrier's push to become more competitive.

Already, there has been considerable interest in the sale from both foreign and local potential buyers, according to Deutsche Bank, appointed as financial advisers on the sale.

CIAS is a joint venture between five airlines - China Airlines, Garuda, Lufthansa, Air France and KLM - European aviation services provider GlobeGround and Temasek. It is held under Temasek's wholly owned unit Hazeltree Holdings. Temasek owns 78.4 per cent in CIAS.

The other shareholders had agreed to sell the remaining 21.6 per cent stake as part of the sale of the business, a Temasek spokesman said yesterday.

She said the CIAS sale was part of the ongoing active management of the Singapore investment company's investment portfolio.

It continuously reviewed its portfolio to identify opportunities to realise value in investments, she added. One of the key objectives of the CIAS sale was to identify a value-adding shareholder that is 'committed to the continual growth and success of CIAS'.

It was too soon to say how much the sale of CIAS might raise, she said. But analysts say the sale could fetch about $400 million, given that CIAS' operations amounted to about 20 per cent those of Sats', which have been valued at about $2 billion.

Sats has about 80 per cent of the ground-handling and catering business at Changi Airport, while CIAS holds the remaining share.

Deutsche Bank said there has already been significant interest from both foreign and local companies.

Deutsche Bank Singapore managing director Jeffrey Speke said yesterday: 'The news has been in the market for a while and we have been approached by a number of companies.' He declined to name the companies.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) said earlier this week that it had received one bid for a flight catering licence at Changi Airport and two bids for a ground-handling licence at the close of its tender exercise last month.

Lufthansa subsidiary LSG Catering Hong Kong had bid to set up Singapore's third flight-catering operation, while Swissport International and Worldwide Flight Services are competing to be the third ground-handling operator at Changi Airport.

CAAS said the tenders will be awarded by July. The tenders were called earlier this year to give Sats and CIAS more competition in a bid to drive down charges. This was to make Changi Airport more competitive than regional rivals such as Bangkok, Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur.

There have been increasing fears that Changi Airport's status as one of Asia's top air hubs will be challenged by the emergence of new longer-range aircraft that can bypass Singapore and budget carriers which prefer to use cheaper regional airports.

Analysts said yesterday that the subdued response to the tender and Temasek's latest move to sell CIAS could be seen as indications that the market was over-saturated and viewed as unprofitable for an additional operator.

Kim Eng research head Seah Hiang Hong said: 'The market here is too saturated already and it is a mature market. A third operator would have no choice but to compete by cutting prices, and this will make it harder for all the operators here.

'It would have made more sense to buy CIAS as it already has the infrastructure and an existing share of the market.

'Now we need to see if those companies can retract their bids or if they can still make a bid to buy CIAS.'

A CAAS spokesman said in response to Straits Times queries yesterday: 'As in all tenders, the tenderers have the option to withdraw their bids, subject to the provisions of the tender.'

huaiwei no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2004, 05:32 PM   #55
huaiwei
The Monkey King

5 May 2004

Changi Airport's 72nd Airline takes flight

Singapore's fourth flag carrier, Valuair, commenced scheduled operations at Changi Airport today. With Valuair joining Changi Airport's family of airlines, Changi is served by 72 airlines with more than 3,400 flights to 164 cities in 53 countries.

A send-off ceremony was organized for the 162 passengers on Valuair's inaugural commercial flight. Mr Wong Woon Liong, Director-General of the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS), and Mr Lim Chin Beng, Chairman of Valuair, were on hand to send off the passengers, who were bound for Bangkok.

"At Changi Airport, we believe in working closely with our airline partners to achieve a win-win outcome - we will do what we can to create a conducive environment for our airline partners to make profits, and they in turn help to enhance Changi's status as an aviation hub. We warmly welcome Valuair as the newest member of the Changi Airport community, and look forward to growing a strong partnership with them", said Mr Wong.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For more information, please contact:

Mr Albert Tjoeng
Senior Manager (Public & International Relations)
Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore
Tel : (65) 6541 2320
Pager : (65) 9801 0079
Email : albert_tjoeng@caas.gov.sg

Ms Constanze Chia
Assistant Manager (Public Relations)
Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore
Tel : (65) 6541 2086
Pager : (65) 9492 6514
Email : constanze_chia@caas.gov.sg

Fax : (65) 6545 6222

huaiwei no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2004, 01:47 PM   #56
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Passenger traffic at Changi airport doubles in April from a year ago

Time is GMT + 8 hours
Posted: 10 May 2004 1758 hrs

SINGAPORE : Passenger traffic at Singapore's Changi airport more than doubled in April compared with a year ago, airport authorities said Monday, rounding off the aviation hub's recovery from the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) crisis.

Passenger traffic rose 102.9 percent to 2.37 million in April from 1.17 million in the same period last year, the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore said in a statement.

Cargo traffic last month was 9.9 percent higher at 142,000 tonnes, it said.

Last year's SARS outbreak, which caused almost 800 deaths worldwide from some 8,000 infections, triggered a region-wide slump in commercial air traffic, with Changi airport among the hardest hit.

Passenger traffic in 2003 at the airport fell 14.9 percent to 24.7 million passengers, while cargo volumes were down 1.6 percent to 1.61 million tonnes, reflecting the overall impact of SARS.

The aviation authority also said Monday it would announce the successful bidders for extra licenses for the airport's ground handling and inflight catering services in July.

LSG Catering Hong Kong Ltd has submitted a bid for the inflight catering licence while two European industry heavyweights, Swissport International Ltd and Worldwide Flight Service, are vying for the ground handling licence, CAAS said.

Singapore Airport Terminal Services and Changi International Airport Services are currently the only ground handler and inflight caterers at Changi airport. - AFP

Copyright © 2004 MCN International Pte Ltd
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #57
Julien

Likes (Received): 6

Traffic doubling from a year ago really shows how screwed-up the airline business was in SEA last year with the SARS thingy.
Julien no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:46 AM   #58
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien
Traffic doubling from a year ago really shows how screwed-up the airline business was in SEA last year with the SARS thingy.
Yeap! It was a really low base to start with, and all these talk about huge % jumps wont really matter as much as raw numbers!

huaiwei no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #59
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 58

We should perhaps compare traffic with 2002 then, before SARS
RafflesCity no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:55 AM   #60
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafflesCity
We should perhaps compare traffic with 2002 then, before SARS
But actually, even 2002's figures were not that high as the economy wasent doing well, if I remember correctly?

huaiwei no está en línea  

Closed Thread