daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2007, 05:29 AM   #701
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

May 31, 2007
T3: Not just an airline hub

It is also part of Singapore's most recognised shopping hub, with a major contract for duty-free shopping space just awarded. DFS Group has promised minimum monthly sales of $10.17m in Year 1, reports Aviation Correspondent Karamjit Kaur. T3 will have 100 shops and more than 30 F&B outlets

CHANGI Airport - Singapore's most internationally recognised shopping hub - has awarded a major contract for duty-free shopping space to incumbent DFS Group.

Six of the industry's big guns made multi-million-dollar bids for the highly sought-after tobacco and liquor licence, with an eye on the opening of a new retail belt in Terminal 3.

DFS Group once again bagged the licence, against competition which included South Korean retailer Hotel Lotte Duty Free and Singapore's Nuance-Watson.

The stakes were high - a three-year contract with an option to renew for a further two years, covering not just Terminals 1 and 2, and the Budget Terminal, but also T3 which opens on Jan 9 next year.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) awarded the licence to DFS, which currently runs a chain of 12 liquor and tobacco stores at the airport, although Hotel Lotte Duty Free had the highest bid.

DFS, which raked in sales of more than $250 million last year, offered CAAS a minimum monthly guarantee of $10.17 million in Year 1, with the amount going up to $10.5 million by the third year.

The South Korean retailer's bid was a guaranteed $10.49 million a month.

The amounts are on top of rent payable for shop space.

Confirming that the tobacco and liquor tender went to DFS, a CAAS spokesman told The Straits Times:

'Bid price is not the only criterion in our assessment of tenders...DFS has submitted the best overall proposal with a competitive bid and an interesting retail and business concept.'

DFS Group chairman Ed Brennan said: 'We are committed to making Changi's liquor and tobacco concession the best in the world by bringing new product launches and innovative presentations here first.'

The company, which has operated at the airport since 1981, will take up 1,600 sq m of shop space at the new terminal, compared to 1,400 sq m at T2 and 1,300 sq m at T1.

The new terminal will have 100 shops and more than 30 food and beverage outlets.

This is in addition to the combined 160 shops and 80 food and drinks outlets in T1 and T2.

The opening of T3 will add 21,000 sq m to Changi Airport's retail and food and beverage space, bringing the total to 50,000 sq m.

Revenue from non-aviation fees and charges at the airport came up to $1.04 billion for the 12 months ended March 31 last year.

Retail and dining was a major component, making up about 60 per cent of this sum.

So far, nine tenders have been awarded at T3, the CAAS spokesman said, with many more to come in the next few months.

The other keenly watched fight is for the perfumes and cosmetics concession which incumbent Nuance-Watson hopes to hang on to.

The winner is expected to be announced in July.

The next few months will see a flurry of activities as retailers and other tenants move in to the new $1.75 billion T3.

CAAS will continue to work closely with its retail partners to offer travellers and visitors the best shopping and dining experience possible, its director (commercial) Lim Peck Hoon said.

She said: 'The airport retailers and brands understand their business best and are experts in their own areas.

'They must be given the opportunity to really showcase their expertise... We make sure we select the right candidates and the right product mix.'

She added: 'We want Changi Airport to be a destination in itself.'

[email protected]

WHY IT GOES TO DFS

'Bid price is not the only criterion in our assessment of tenders...DFS has submitted the best overall proposal with a competitive bid and an interesting retail and business concept.'
CAAS SPOKESMAN

MORE SPACE: Terminal 3 will have 132 check-in counters, compared to 160 in T1 nd 144 in T2. T3's anchor tenant is Singapore Airlines, which plans to move more than half its operations from T2 where it is currently housed. -- TERENCE TAN

LIGHT, NO HEAT: Skylights on the roof (above), equipped with 'smart' reflectors, adjust themselves according to how much sunlight or cloud there is while blocking out the heat. Artificial lights come on automatically when necessary. Wall tiles with nature themes give the terminal an air of tranquility. -- LIM WUI LIANG

LIGHT, NO HEAT: Skylights on the roof, equipped with 'smart' reflectors, adjust themselves according to how much sunlight or cloud there is while blocking out the heat. Artificial lights come on automatically when necessary. Wall tiles with nature themes (above) give the terminal an air of tranquility. -- CHEW SENG KIM

MANY OPTIONS TO DINE: Visitors to the new terminal will not be able to miss this structure in the public area. The surrounding space will be used for food and beverage outlets, of which there will be more than 30 in T3, compared to a total of 80 in T1 and T2. -- LIM WUI LIANG

BACK TO NATURE: With its cascading water and a 500m-high wall of creepers, the new terminal has more than a touch of nature about it. T3 also has a 350-room airport hotel with a swimming pool, restaurants, conference rooms and a spa, among other facilities. -- LIM WUI LIANG

GIANT PASSENGER HOLDING AREAS: Unlike the two existing terminals, T3 will house two giant passenger holding areas that will serve up to five flighjts at the same time. The area is big enough to seat 2,000 passengers. At 380,000 sq m, the new terminal is Changi's biggest.

Copyright © 2007 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:17 AM   #702
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 107

I love the interior design!

It looks typically Changi, but with an increased sense of spaciousness and relaxation. Kind of reminds me of the interior of the Shangri-La Hotel :-)
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:24 AM   #703
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafflesCity View Post
I love the interior design!

It looks typically Changi, but with an increased sense of spaciousness and relaxation. Kind of reminds me of the interior of the Shangri-La Hotel :-)
Agree.....design seems more sophisticated too....
Old June 1st, 2007, 01:17 AM   #704
skytrax
Big boss!

Likes (Received): 14304

so cool!
skytrax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:58 AM   #705
eighth8

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrapradana View Post
Waw.. Nice one.. But it still looks like terminal 2.. Does anyone know the Airbus A380 gonna operate there? I heard they had conflicts..

T3 will be having gates to accommodate A380. Currently T2 already has a couple of gates for A380, at the start E and F piers, one of them specially to welcome the first operational A380 for SIA in October. I forgot the gate numbers, I can help you check it out if you are interested to know though.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 07:38 AM   #706
JoSin
\Attituded\

Likes (Received): 226

Not special but I LOVE THE CEILING! Its so big too!

JoSin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #707
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

SIN | Singapore Changi Airport

SINGAPORE CHANGI AIRPORT http://www.changiairport.com

TERMINAL 1

TERMINAL 2

TERMINAL 3 (OPENS 9 JANUARY 2008) http://www.changiairport.com/t3

Copyright © RCheah @ clubsnap

BUDGET TERMINAL http://www.btsingapore.com

CROWNE PLAZA CHANGI AIRPORT (OPENS MARCH 2008) http://www.singapore.crowneplaza.com/

Last edited by ignoramus; October 26th, 2007 at 09:46 AM.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #708
ignoramus

25 Oct 2007
First A380 Passenger Flight Takes Off From Singapore Changi Airport

The first Airbus 380 (A380) passenger flight has taken off from Singapore Changi Airport. Singapore Airlines flight SQ 380 departed from Changi Airport's Terminal 2 today at 0800 hours for Sydney, Australia. The A380's return flight from Sydney will arrive at Changi Airport at 2215 hours on 26 October 2007.

"The A380's commencement of passenger flights marks a new milestone in aviation history," said Mr Lim Kim Choon, Director-General and Chief Executive Officer, Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS). Mr Lim added, "Changi Airport is excited and proud to be the first airport in the world from which the A380 experience begins."

CAAS has been at the forefront of preparations for the A380's commencement of operations at Changi Airport. S$68 million has been spent on airport and airfield modifications and additional airport emergency rescue equipment. Works undertaken include the installation of an additional fixed gangway and a third aerobridge arm at each of the 19 A380-compatible gates at Changi Airport. The third arm enables passengers to have direct access to the upper deck of the double-decker aircraft. On top of airport and airfield modifications, CAAS and airport agencies have conducted comprehensive tests to ensure Changi Airport is fully ready to support the superjumbo's operations.

In conjunction with the A380's commencement of passenger flights, CAAS has launched a series of events at Terminal 2's Departure / Transit Mall from 23 October to 5 November 2007. They include an exhibition marking the A380's milestones in Singapore and highlighting the various works undertaken at Changi Airport for the A380, as well as games and a contest for passengers to participate in.

Changi Airport was also the first airport outside Europe to receive the A380 when the aircraft arrived for airport compatibility verification tests in November 2005. The A380 has made four visits to Singapore prior to Singapore Airlines' first A380 passenger flight today.
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #709
ignoramus

25 Oct 2007
Four more Airlines to Join SIA at Terminal 3
China Eastern Airlines, Jet Airways, Qatar Airways and United Airlines to join Singapore Airlines in operating from Terminal 3

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) has made an offer to four airlines to move their operations to Singapore Changi Airport's Terminal 3. The four airlines, China Eastern Airlines, Jet Airways, Qatar Airways and United Airlines, will join Singapore Airlines in operating from Terminal 3. Terminal 3, currently undergoing tests and trials, opens for flight operations on 9 January 2008.

The decision to offer the four airlines to move their operations to Terminal 3 was reached after careful and detailed assessments. CAAS had earlier written to all airlines at Changi Airport to check which airlines would be interested to be considered to operate from Terminal.

Dialogues were also held with airlines to address their questions and concerns about moving their operations.

CAAS assessed the airlines' interest to move to Terminal 3 based on the guiding principle of distributing capacity usage across all three terminals, so as to optimise the usage of airport capacity and facilities.

CAAS' Director-General and Chief Executive Officer, Mr Lim Kim Choon, said, "CAAS has made in-depth assessments of the airlines' interest to move to Terminal 3. Our main aim is to optimise the usage of all three main terminals, which will provide capacity for airlines at each terminal to grow their operations. The four new airlines moving their operations to Terminal 3 will also enable Changi Airport to spread out usage of the three terminals in a balanced manner."

Mr Lim added, "We look forward to welcoming the new airlines at Terminal 3 and share their excitement about commencing flight operations at the new terminal."

As at 1 October 2007, Changi Airport is served by 81 airlines operating some 4,220 weekly scheduled flights to 192 cities in 59 countries.
Old October 26th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #710
ignoramus

First international brand-name hotel being built at Changi Airport
By Wong Mun Wai, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 22 October 2007 2155 hrs

SINGAPORE : The first international brand-name hotel is being built at Changi Airport - right next to the new Terminal 3.

The S$90 million Crowne Plaza Changi Airport will open its doors in late March next year.

The new hotel will boast more than 300 rooms, featuring Asian yet multicultural design concepts.

A Singapore design company is working on the hotel's concept, which will have a unique combination.

Mark Winterton, General Manager, Crowne Plaza Changi Airport, said: "What we want to achieve is to take elements of both a city centre hotel and a resort hotel, which hasn't been seen at an airport before."

Thus, some rooms will have elements of a tropical theme. The hotel will also house courtyards with rainforest gardens and a shaded pool.

Mr Winterton said: "All the meeting rooms are designed like a jungle (with a) tropical feel."

The hotel is mainly targeting the corporate market and is working closely with the Singapore Expo and Changi Business Park.

Its location - right next to the new Terminal 3 - is also expected to be a big draw. The hotel will link to the MRT and Changi people mover system.

There is also an added convenience for guests - two linkways will connect both the Departure and Arrival Halls directly to the hotel.

The hotel expects to welcome its first customers in March next year. - CNA/ms

Last edited by ignoramus; October 26th, 2007 at 09:32 AM.
Old October 28th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #711
ignoramus

http://www.changiairport.ebizintel.com/openhousetours/
Old October 28th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #712
ignoramus

Last edited by ignoramus; October 28th, 2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old October 28th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #713
ignoramus

Terminal 3 is the largest of all 3 terminals and is capable of handling 22 million passengers per annum. The last time a terminal opened in Singapore was 17 years ago, Terminal 2.

Terminal 3 Open House
Date: 12 November 2007 to 9 December 2007
Opening Hours: 10.00 am – 5.00 pm (Weekdays) | 9.00 am – 6.00 pm (Saturday and Sunday)

Terminal 3 OPENS FOR COMMERCIAL FLIGHTS
Date: 9 January 2008
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #714
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4268

My favorite airport in the world. Not especially interesting from an architectural point of view but very nice for passengers. Really don't mind to have a 5 hour stopover there.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #715
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 265

Im sure Changi is a nice airport, but I dont get WHY it was ranked first for many years. To me, DXB and KUL seem much much nicer and convienent for passengers. Changi is kind of old and doesnt incorportate the sence of airiness and light that other terminals share like DXB, Inchon, and Kuala Lumpur.
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #716
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halawala View Post
Im sure Changi is a nice airport, but I dont get WHY it was ranked first for many years. To me, DXB and KUL seem much much nicer and convienent for passengers. Changi is kind of old and doesnt incorportate the sence of airiness and light that other terminals share like DXB, Inchon, and Kuala Lumpur.
The surveys took into consideration both facilities offered, services provided, and service standards as well which Changi generally has an edge over. And connectivity is great.

Architecture wise, DXB, Incheon and KLIA are new airports/terminals so its understandable why they incorporate some modern asthetic features Changi doesn't offer (though the completed upgrade of T2, the impending upgrade of T1, and the new T3 will attempt to bridge this deficiancy of sorts).
Old October 28th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #717
Skyprince
Asian boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halawala View Post
Hmm... actually I prefer Changi Terminal 1 ( I personally don't like teminal 2 where non-SQ flights depart and arrive ) more than KUL , because:

1) in Changi T1 you get free internet connection almost everywhere ( in KUL there are also many but not everywhere... )

2) in Changi there are Movie theatres and swimming pool but not in KUL

3) in Changi airport there are many cheap restaurants unlike in KUL ( quite pricey in Malaysian standard ).. I remember I had nice Laksa Noodles for just S$2.50

Service-wise, both SIN and KUL have same standards IMO.

But of course KUL is also among the Top 3 airports worldwide for me. My choice: 1) Singapore 2) Incheon 3) KUL 4) Nagoya-Centrair

I also like DXB !! I luv the restaurants ( there are 4 or 5 of them ) on the Upper floor of the main terminal building and I had a very nice spaghetti for 15 dirhams while having a nice view of the opposite terminal thru the glassy window !

Last edited by Skyprince; October 28th, 2007 at 06:49 PM.
Skyprince está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #718
BauIng
SkyscraperCity Addict

Likes (Received): 34

nice pics

"Technique is not everything.
But without technique everything is nothing."
BauIng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #719
ignoramus

Changi Airport's Terminal 3 to open for public visit
Posted: 29 October 2007 1429 hrs

Changi Airport's Terminal 3 (T3) will be opened to the public from 12 November to 9 December 2007.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) says this is a chance to see the brand new terminal before it opens for flight operations next year.

During the Open House, the public can visit T3 anytime from 10am to 5pm on weekdays and, 9am to 6pm on Saturdays and Sundays.

The Open House will feature a Visitor Gallery with various display panels featuring T3's highlights as well as other information or plasma TV displays at various locations in the terminal.

Visiting the public areas of T3 will be free of charge.

Those interested in visiting the transit (restricted) areas may purchase an admission ticket at T3's departure check-in hall.

The tickets will cost S$1 for a self-guided tour or S$3 for a guided tour lasting about 45 minutes.

CAAS said the last time Singapore celebrated the opening of a new airport terminal was more than 15 years ago when Terminal 2 started operations in 1990.

Members of the public can visit the Changi airport website for more information on the T3 Open House. - CNA/ch
Old October 30th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #720
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87697

Very interesting airport!

Singapore's airport is a key for Asian aviation....

Amazing news!

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
changi airport, singapore, singapore airlines, south asian hub airport