daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #61
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
But actually, even 2002's figures were not that high as the economy wasent doing well, if I remember correctly?
yup. which is why I think there was real excitement in the latest figures. I read it in some article. I am sure with the growth of budget travel the numbers will be even greater now
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:09 AM   #62
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafflesCity
yup. which is why I think there was real excitement in the latest figures. I read it in some article. I am sure with the growth of budget travel the numbers will be even greater now
The budget aviation sector is still in its infancy thou. I wonder how big the impact will be before they start to cut each other out. Any news about the Budget Terminal?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:13 AM   #63
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

More skylights at Changi Terminal 2(picture taken on 26/5/04)........

Last edited by babystan03; May 29th, 2004 at 04:15 PM.
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 10:34 AM   #64
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Another Chinese airline begins flights to S'pore

Business Times - 31 May 2004

(SINGAPORE) Singapore and China beefed up their air links with a fifth passenger airline from the mainland starting flights to the Republic.

Shandong Airlines flew its maiden international flight into Singapore's Changi Airport on Saturday afternoon. It will be followed by a twice-weekly service, according to a statement from the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS).

The frequency of flights to Singapore from China has mushroomed in recent years as the country's economy booms and its millions of citizens are more able to stretch their wings.

China's government has made it easier for its citizens to get passports and foreign currency, and it has increased the number of approved destinations for Chinese tour parties.

Additionally, many countries have eased restrictions on visas for Chinese nationals.

Singapore, with its majority ethnic Chinese population, has become a popular overseas destination for Chinese travellers.

In 1998, 293,000 Chinese visited Singapore. By 2002, Chinese arrivals had more than doubled to 670,000, according to data from the Singapore Tourist Board.

The CAAS said there are now eight passenger airlines at Changi flying to 12 cities in China.

Shandong Airlines will fly twice-weekly services between Jinan and Singapore via Shenzhen. - AP

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 05:43 PM   #65
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Austrian Airlines starts direct flights to Singapore

Time is GMT + 8 hours
Posted: 03 June 2004 1835 hrs

By N K Chan, Channelnewsasia.com

SINGAPORE : Austrian Airlines has started flying non-stop to Singapore, the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore said on Thursday.

The thrice-weekly service connects Vienna to Singapore and onward to the Australian city of Melbourne, CAAS said in a statement.

The first direct Austrian Airlines flight landed in Singapore's Changi Airport on Thursday.

The CAAS said in a statement that Austrian Airlines' latest service establishes Vienna as a direct city link for Singapore, and enhances Changi Airport's connectivity to central and eastern Europe.

Mr Vagn Sorensen, the airline's CEO said, "Singapore is not only an excellent hub but also a very interesting target destination for both business people and tourists."

Mr Chiang Hai Eng, Deputy Director-General (Operations), Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore, said the latest air link "augurs well for greater trade, tourism and investment flows between Austria and Singapore and for the respective regions as well."

Since the start of the year, Changi Airport has seen five airlines commence operations.

Currently, Changi Airport is served by over 70 airlines with some 3,400 weekly scheduled flights linking Singapore to more than 160 cities around the world.-CNA

Copyright © 2004 MCN International Pte Ltd
Old June 4th, 2004, 06:48 PM   #66
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

S'pore set to ink 3-nation open skies deal for passengers

JUNE 5, 2004

Pact on unlimited access for passenger services between the Republic, Brunei and Thailand is expected in 2 to 3 months

By Karamjit Kaur

SINGAPORE, Brunei and Thailand are in talks to expand their air links for passenger services, a key stepping stone to the lifting of all restrictions within Asean and which will boost business for Changi Airport.

According to the Transport Ministry here, which has long championed an open skies policy and greater competition between airlines, the deal is expected to be sealed in two to three months' time.

The trio's regional agreement will give their national carriers the right to fly to any point within their territories, with no limits on the frequency of flights and number of passengers they can carry.

The airlines will also be able to use the three countries as springboards to destinations in other states.

Currently, Singapore carriers can fly to a specific number of destinations from Thailand, although the two countries have a deal which allows unlimited two-way services between them.

For example, Singapore Airlines has a daily Singapore-Bangkok-Osaka service and flies five times a week from Singapore to Seoul via Bangkok.

However, the Republic already has an open skies policy with Brunei. The sultanate, in turn, has an existing agreement with Thailand that allows for a maximum of 14 flights a week between the two countries.

For travellers, the new deal should result in more choice of flights and carriers and, with greater competition, cheaper fares. But the real benefits will come when more Asean member countries join in, and that is what Singapore's Transport Ministry is gunning for.

'We encourage as many countries to join in as and when they are ready to do so,' said its spokesman.

As for the current proposed deal, lifting all restrictions between the three countries is significant as it opens the door for more airlines to fly here and will hopefully encourage more countries to be as liberal in their air service agreements.

So far, Singapore has inked open skies deals with the United States, New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga, Brunei, Chile, Peru and the United Arab Emirates. The more countries it secures deals with, the better. But progress at the negotiating table can be slow as governments worry about their national carriers' bottom lines in an open market.

The Singapore-Brunei-Thailand open skies pact will be the second such deal since last October's proposal by the Singapore and Thai prime ministers to let any Asean-initiated policy or proposal proceed as long as it is backed by any two member countries.

In February, the same three countries inked an agreement allowing their airlines to operate unlimited all-cargo services on any route between them.

Copyright @ 2004 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.

Last edited by babystan03; June 5th, 2004 at 04:15 AM.
Old June 4th, 2004, 07:04 PM   #67
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Those skylight pictures.....I saw them too didnt I?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old June 4th, 2004, 07:12 PM   #68
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Those skylight pictures.....I saw them too didnt I?
Yes....nice and clear......and it won't be too long to see the whole terminal refurbished with those roof(that lets in skylight)......
Old June 4th, 2004, 07:30 PM   #69
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
Yes....nice and clear......and it won't be too long to see the whole terminal refurbished with those roof(that lets in skylight)......
But are you sure the WHOLE roof will be like that soon? It dosent look like it is physically possible?

Old June 4th, 2004, 07:33 PM   #70
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
But are you sure the WHOLE roof will be like that soon? It dosent look like it is physically possible?
I mean those parts of the roof that are able to convert to those glass roof...haha, not really WHOLE roof.......I think those not possible one....they'll refurbish the ceiling with other things........
Old June 4th, 2004, 07:42 PM   #71
heirloom

with what? art installations? interesting lighting?
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2004, 07:49 PM   #72
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
I think something about the lighting......not very sure at this point......
Old June 5th, 2004, 08:26 PM   #73
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
Er...I just done think the entire ceiling cant become skylights because I see some parts have a second level suspended above?

Old June 7th, 2004, 04:34 PM   #74
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Business Times - 07 Jun 2004
IATA World Summit 2004
The customer always comes first at Changi

The airport is constantly upgrading to provide better facilities for travellers while at the same time helping airlines to tide over difficult times

SINGAPORE Changi Airport has come a long way since its humble beginnings in 1981.

With its two terminals, Changi currently has a handling capacity of 44 million passengers a year. The Changi Airfreight Centre, with a capacity of 2.5 million tonnes, also provides round-the-clock services in a Free Trade Zone. An Airport Logistics Park has also been established to facilitate the distribution and rapid turnaround of goods. Today, there are over 70 airlines serving more than 3,400 weekly scheduled flights to 162 cities in 52 countries.

As an aviation hub in the region, Changi Airport is widely recognised as one of the best in the world, receiving a total of 20 awards and accolades from international organisations and publications.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS), which manages Changi Airport, is the conductor behind the success of Changi. CAAS adopts a customer-centric approach in serving the needs of its airline partners and air travellers.

It aims to create a conducive environment for its airline partners to operate profitably, while at the same time pampering air travellers, who will enjoy spending time at Changi.

The partnership approach towards airlines can be seen in the manner CAAS responded during difficult times. Following the Asian financial crisis in 1998, CAAS introduced a 10 per cent rebate in aircraft landing fees in 1999. Following the slowdown in the world economy and the Sept 11 incident in 2001, CAAS introduced a $210 million Air Hub Development Fund (AHDF).

The AHDF, effective from January last year to end-2005, saw the introduction of a 15 per cent rebate in aircraft landing fees and office and warehouse rents. Funds were also set aside for joint marketing activities. The AHDF has brought down Changi's aeronautical charges to be the second lowest in the region.

The outbreak of Sars last year saw airlines suffer when the demand for air travel plummetted as travellers were afraid of catching the virus. CAAS acted swiftly to provide assistance to airlines, introducing a $114 million Sars relief package from May to December 2003 to lessen the financial burdens on its airline partners. The relief package brought aircraft landing fees down by another 30 per cent to a total of 45 per cent, and office and warehouse rents by another 10 per cent to a total of 25 per cent.

CAAS also introduced a four-month $10 million Air Traffic Development Scheme to help airlines boost traffic recovery after Singapore was removed for the World Health Organisation's (WHO) list of Sars-affected areas.

After the Sars relief package expired in December last year, CAAS introduced a $40 million Growth Incentive Scheme (GIS), which is effective from January this year to end-2005. The GIS rewards airlines for increasing their passenger traffic to and through Changi Airport. Under this performance-based scheme, airlines will enjoy incentives according to the traffic growth they manage to achieve at Changi Airport. For example, if an airline's 2004 passenger traffic exceeds that in 2003, it will receive incentives for the incremental passenger traffic.

For 2005, the airlines will similarly receive incentives if they show positive results over the previous years. Recognising that ground handling charges make up a significant portion of an airline's costs in an airport, CAAS is also issuing a third licence for ground handling and inflight catering. This will give airlines more choices and lower their ground handling costs at the same time.

Changi Airport's customer-centric approach also applies to the air traveller. At Changi Airport, travellers will find it a breeze to pass their time.

For those who are in a hurry, Changi is efficient, with travellers being able to pass through the various airport processes with ease. For example, an arriving passenger would take about 30 minutes from the time he leaves the aircraft to the time he collects his baggage and clears through customs checks.

For those who have some time to spare before their flight, they will find a myriad of facilities and services that will help them enjoy their stay in Changi. Those who are interested in health and fitness activities can make use of the rooftop swimming pool, the gym, or get a much needed massage at the Shower, Fitness and Lifestyle centre, the Rainforest By SATS or at the Chair Spa.

Travellers who are nature lovers have a choice of gardens to bask in the tranquility of nature, including a cactus garden, an orchid garden, a sunflower garden and a palm and fern garden. For entertainment, travellers can catch a movie at the movie theatre, watch various programmes at the many television lounges, or even join the Free Singapore Tour if they have at least five hours in transit.

And for those who want some form of IT or business facilities, there are more than 200 PCs located throughout the two terminals offering free Internet access to travellers. This is especially useful for those who wish to check their e-mail or surf the Internet.

Travellers with their own laptops or personal digital assistants can connect to the Internet easily, as the whole airport has a wireless network providing broadband connection.

Besides such facilities, Changi also organises events to entertain air travellers. Currently, Changi is organising an auction, the first of its kind in an airport.

In the Changi auction - What's Your Bid - travellers get to bid for selected retail items available at the airport. The starting bids for these items can start as low as 50 per cent off airport retail prices.

This means participating travellers can get a good bargain if no one manages to outbid them. Some of the items up for auction include a Risis Egg (retail price: S$81, starting bid: S$35), a pair of Risis chopsticks (retail price: S$86, starting bid: S$35), a pair of Ray-Ban sunglasses (retail price: S$152.35, starting bid: S$76), and a Bonia black leather handbag (retail price: S$299.90, starting bid: S$150).

The Changi auction is held four times - every Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening - and ends on June 25.

The annual Changi Sale is also on until June 25. The sale comprises discounts and special offers from over 90 outlets at both terminals.

For example, passengers can enjoy up to 15 per cent off all books, 50 per cent off jewellery, 15 per cent off toys, among other discounts. There are also gifts with purchase offers such as a Levi's windbreaker, a Swarovski tote bag and a pair of Raoul polycarbonate cufflinks.

Changi Airport opened with one terminal in 1981. Today, it has two passenger terminal buildings with the construction of a third underway. Terminal 3 is expected to be completed in 2008. This will add another 20 million passengers to the handling capacity, bringing the total to about 64 million passengers a year by then.

Terminal 2 is also currently undergoing a $240 million upgrading, which will see significant improvements to its design, making it even more user-friendly to airport users and businesses. The upgrading will also add capacity to the departure/transit lounge, enhancing Changi's position as a regional aviation hub.

When completed, the upgraded Terminal 2 will have a new glass facade bringing natural light into the departure hall.

A new canopy above the kerbside at the departure hall will be extended outwards to ensure that airport users are shielded from the rain when alighting from their vehicles. The interior of the terminal will also be re-organised to make it easier for airport users to find their way around.

Last edited by babystan03; June 8th, 2004 at 02:57 PM.
Old June 8th, 2004, 07:26 AM   #75
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

This story was printed from TODAYonline

Hub status takes top priority: PM Goh
Tuesday • June 8, 2004

The Government will not protect Singapore Airlines (SIA) at the expense of Changi Airport's hub status, Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong said yesterday. He told an airline industry conference here that Singapore's connectivity and hub status were of higher national priority.

"We have never protected Singapore Airlines. We will continue to welcome foreign carriers to fly here in open competition with our national carriers. Where our national carriers lose through lack of protection, Changi Airport gains," said Mr Goh, who urged the international community to liberalise aviation rules.

Noting that many countries protected their national airlines jealously by restricting market access to foreign carriers, he said: "By depriving their people and visitors of extensive air links, these countries are losing out on spin-off benefits from the air travel industry. The result is a loss of valuable investment and tourism dollars."

But for now, Asian airlines face entrenched protective measures from countries in the region.

One senior executive at an Indian airline said getting licences for take-off and landing slots for his airline in other countries has been difficult.

Agreeing, SIA chief executive Chew Choon Seng told the forum that SIA has faced difficulties in getting "desired" airline slots as well, in cities such as Hyderabad in India. — Kevin Tan

Copyright MediaCorp Press Ltd. All rights reserved.

Last edited by babystan03; June 8th, 2004 at 02:56 PM.
Old June 8th, 2004, 09:46 AM   #76
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Business Times - 08 Jun 2004

Austrian Air wants to go big in Asia with daily services
By GEORGE JOSEPH

(SINGAPORE) If Austrian Airlines CEO Vagn Sorensen has his way, the latest airline to fly here will have 'double-daily' flights through Changi in no time.

That is his plan for Austrian Air's future operations here, after the airline started a thrice weekly service to Singapore last week. The non-stop flights from Vienna arrive early in the morning and go onward to Melbourne.

Mr Sorensen said he aims to see all the carrier's services in Asia, including in Singapore, going daily both ways as soon as possible and he is confident of achieving it as he considers Australia as one of the European airline's niche markets.

'There's a large community of Eastern European ethnic migrants to Australia for whom we are a popular carrier and we are stepping up our services (to Australia) to nine daily flights,' he said.

Japan is another niche market as more Japanese visit the 'cultural' destinations in Europe.

Austria is well known for its concert halls and theatres and capital Vienna is known as the 'city of the sound of music'.

The airline, a member of the Star Alliance, is going 'pretty big' in Asia, Mr Sorensen told BT, while here for the International Air Transport Association annual general meeting.

He added that Singapore is an 'interesting target' for both tourists and business people from Europe, who can also use Changi as an 'excellent hub' for onward travel to other Asian cities.

'Singapore is a Star Alliance hub for us, and so we can code share and develop joint products with our airline partners,' he said.

Singapore Airlines, Lufthansa and Thai Airways are among prominent airline members of the grouping which this week announced it is taking in three more partners, South African Airways, TAP Air Portugal and Finland's Blue1.

According to the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore, Austrian Air's latest service establishes Vienna as a direct link city for Singapore, enhancing Changi Airport's connectivity to central and eastern Europe.

Last edited by babystan03; June 8th, 2004 at 02:55 PM.
Old June 9th, 2004, 01:40 AM   #77
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 107

wah Austrian Airlines is so ambitious!

Interesting to note that Austrian owns Lauda Air, which flies nonstop from Vienna to Bangkok but not to Singapore.
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 02:36 PM   #78
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

JUNE 10, 2004

Changi passenger traffic doubles on year in May

SINGAPORE - Passenger traffic at Singapore's Changi Airport more than doubled in May against the same month last year when the Republic was reeling from the effects of the war in Iraq and the Sars outbreak, the aviation authority said on Thursday.

Asia's fourth-busiest air hub handled 2.38 million passengers last month, the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore said in a statement.

In May 2003, the number of passengers fell to just 1 million from 2.39 million in 2002, as the outbreak of the severe acute respiratory syndrome decimated air travel across Asia. The war in Iraq prompted a drop in global air passenger numbers.

The virus killed 33 from 238 infected in Singapore and killed 774 of over 8,000 sickened worldwide.

The Singapore airport said it handled 17.3 per cent more air cargo volumes last month at 147,718 tonnes compared with 125,909 tonnes in May 2003.

Singapore's aviation industry accounts for around 9 per cent of the Republic's US$95 billion economy. -- AP

Old June 11th, 2004, 02:40 PM   #79
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

JUNE 11, 2004
Numbers suggest a bumper year for Changi
With the airport actively wooing carriers, passenger, cargo and flight volumes are on an upswing, surpassing pre-Sars levels

By Karamjit Kaur

CHANGI AIRPORT should end the year strongly, as key performance indicators - passenger traffic, cargo volume, number of airlines and city links - have surpassed even pre-Sars levels.

And the number of flights a week is back to what it was before the virus hit.

In the first five months of the year, Changi handled 11.8 million passengers, or 30 per cent more than in the comparable period last year.

This is 1 per cent more than in January to May 2002, the first five months of what was a record year.

If the trend holds, this could be a bumper year, with passenger traffic expected to exceed 30 million.

Last month alone, Changi handled 2.38 million passengers, more than double the one million registered in May last year.

In 2002, the year before Sars hit, it handled 29 million passengers, the most since its opening in 1981, the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore said yesterday.

The cargo business is also doing well, with January-to-May traffic reaching 706,603 tonnes, 10 per cent higher than a year ago, and more than 8 per cent higher than for the same spell in 2002. Last month, the airport dealt with 147,718 tonnes of cargo, 17.3 per cent more than in May last year.

The number of flights handled per week - another key indicator - has exceeded 3,400, on par with the pre-Sars level.

The numbers look promising for Changi as it competes with airports such as those in Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Dubai and Hong Kong to be the premier Asian air hub.

What they show is that the incentives offered to attract more airlines to fly here are working.

Take, for example, last October's announcement of cash rewards for airlines that bring extra travellers to Changi Airport. More than $40 million has been set aside for this scheme, which began in January.

Since the year started, Cambodia Airlines, Valuair, Thai AirAsia, Shandong Airlines and Austrian Airlines have started flights from Singapore.

That's five in five months, compared with five in the whole of last year.

The additions bring to 71 the number of carriers flying out of Changi, compared with a pre-Sars total of 64.

This gives passengers more options for connecting flights, because Changi is now linked to 162 cities, compared with 134 in April last year before the full impact of the virus was felt.

The rest of the year looks just as promising, said DBS Vickers aviation analyst Chris Sanda, noting that consumer sentiments are high and private-sector forecasts are predicting the economy will grow by 7 per cent this year.

He said: 'The current numbers are encouraging and a stong economy brings with it good prospects for growth in business travel.'

Old June 11th, 2004, 06:03 PM   #80
huaiwei
The Monkey King

If the number hits beyond 30 million, it will be a trully impressive feat!!

Tags
changi airport, singapore, singapore airlines, south asian hub airport