daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 20th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #861
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

Constructive criticism with respect!
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2007, 04:33 AM   #862
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Contiuing my 2nd visit....

Where I bought the ticket

Interesting facts

Success!!!

Seems like T3 open house is a family outing

Good for youngster also....
Old November 21st, 2007, 04:34 AM   #863
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Souvenir Shop

Testing as usual

Looking around

Take picture, take picture!!!

Before we go in.....
Old November 21st, 2007, 12:53 PM   #864
AceN
Expelled

Likes (Received): 3491

I'm sorry for my stupid comment.. so sorry.. babystan, sorry for disturbing u'r thread

==================================================================

Btw, what's the different between the Blue Coloured signage & Yellow coloured one ?

“Never argue with IDIOT people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience ! ”
AceN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 02:09 PM   #865
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceN View Post
I'm sorry for my stupid comment.. so sorry.. babystan, sorry for disturbing u'r thread

==================================================================

Btw, what's the different between the Blue Coloured signage & Yellow coloured one ?
Blue = Facilities & services (Movie theatre, toilets, money changer etc)
Yellow = Transportation (Gates, departures, arrivals, trains, buses, taxis)
Old November 22nd, 2007, 07:47 AM   #866
ignoramus

Nov 22, 2007
S'pore, Britain sign open skies agreement

LONDON - SINGAPORE has signed a landmark open skies agreement (OSA) with Britain, effectively lifting all restrictions on air services between the two countries for the first time in nearly two decades.
The air services deal, which was concluded early last month, goes beyond conventional OSAs, a Singapore Ministry of Transport (MOT) statement said yesterday.

It was signed in London by Singapore Minister for Transport and Second Minister for Foreign Affairs Raymond Lim and British Secretary of State for Transport Ruth Kelly.

Once it goes into effect at the end of March next year, the agreement will give Singapore Airlines the right to base its aircraft in Britain and fly transatlantic routes through there, as well as serve domestic routes in the country - or what are termed 'hubbing' and 'cabotage' rights, according to an earlier Ministry of Transport statement in October.

The same privileges apply to British carriers, it said.

At the signing ceremony, Mr Lim called it 'a liberal and comprehensive air transport agreement'.

'This landmark open skies agreement clearly reflects the strong bilateral ties between both countries.

'Singapore has always embraced and championed a pro-liberalisation aviation regime, and we are naturally delighted that the UK shares this view,' he said.

The new OSA is the first such agreement for Britain, and comes nearly 20 years after Singapore first requested such rights from the country, according to the ministry.

Singapore has only one other similar 'unrestricted OSA', with the United Arab Emirates.

The latest deal with Britain means Singapore now has OSAs with more than 20 countries, including 10 in the European Union, said the ministry.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 09:23 AM   #867
AceN
Expelled

Likes (Received): 3491

Ohh.. i c, i c... Thanx

“Never argue with IDIOT people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience ! ”
AceN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 02:12 PM   #868
MALAYSIAN
1Malaysia

Any more nice pic?
MALAYSIAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 05:18 AM   #869
Gid

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by patcheon View Post
In my opinion, Singapore's Changi airport's approach is to divide a large airport into smaller terminals. The good point of this approach is that most passengers, other than those on transit which are unlucky to find their next plane parked at the opposite end of the airport, will not need to travel long distances from the immigration checkpoint to the plane or vice versa. But it gives an impression that the airport isn't that large. I've got quite a number of friends that come over from Hong Kong that commented that Changi Airport is quite small but they have only seen the single terminal they were using.

On the other hand, Hong Kong's airport approach is to let the passengers feel that the terminal is very huge. The first time I use the Hong Kong's new airport, my plane docked at one of the further bays. I was cursing as I find myself walking over a rather long distance with rather heavy hand luggage only to be met with a very large crowd of passengers waiting to clear immigration. But it does give an impression that the airport is huge.

As for Beijing's new terminal, I am not sure what is their emphisis is on as it is not open yet, to give a very large impression or to minimised the distance passengers need to travel to get to the plane. Or they have found a way to let the passengers feel the grandness of the airport while also able to minimize the distance needed to travel.

The above is solely my impression and it is not to say which approach is superior, it may just be what the designer or govt wish to emphasis on when the terminal is built. Or maybe there are other reasons that are also considered but not known to the layman in me.
Singapore's Changi is a customer oriented airport. It does not place much emphasis on "an impression that the airport is huge," since such impressions does not play a role in passengers' satisfaction. An "impression" is afterall an "impression". (Changi's total floor area and capacity is larger than HKIA by a large percentage)

Yes, it is indeed breathtaking to step in a monolithic terminal such as HKIA's. But are passengers seeking such "breathtaking" experiences in an airport? In my opinion, clinical spaces and glarring white surfaces really stresses me out. The huge distances to travel and long queues are major minus points.

Changi resembles a posh hotel lounge, with its elegant furnishings etc. It steers away from the current trend of huge single-terminal airports such as HKIA, KLIA, Incheon, Beijing Capital etc.

It pretty much reflects Singapore's aspiration as a city, to retain its culture of a garden city and quality living despite being a huge dense cosmopolitan city.

Both are top-class airports, and in a class of its own.
Gid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 01:51 PM   #870
ignoramus

22 Nov 2007
Shopping Concierge Service at Changi Airport Takes the Stress off Christmas Shopping
This service is introduced to assist passengers with advice on gift ideas

To relieve passengers from the stress of doing last minute Christmas shopping while shuttling between flights, the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) has launched a complimentary 'Shopping Concierge' service at Changi Airport from 15 November 2007 to 5 January 2008. This service is introduced in conjunction with Changi Airport's Christmas celebrations, which was officially launched by Mr Lim Kim Choon, Director-General & Chief Executive Officer, CAAS, today.

"This is part of CAAS' efforts to enhance passengers' shopping experience at Changi Airport. We hope that passengers will find shopping a breeze at Changi Airport Shopping City, given the extra help from our new Shopping Concierge staff, and take full advantage of the great buys being offered during this Christmas shopping promotion period", said Mr Lim.

The Shopping Concierge counters are located within the Transit Malls of Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Friendly staff stationed at these counters will provide passengers with ideas and recommendations on the perfect gift to buy for their loved ones and friends. The staff will also advise passengers on the best buys at Changi Airport. Each counter, which will be opened from 6am to 12 midnight (or 1am in Terminal 2), will have up to three staff on hand to attend to passengers' queries. In all, there will be a total of 25 Shopping Concierge staff rotated on shifts.

From 12 to 25 December 2007, passengers can also look forward to free gift wrapping services, Christmas carolling and handbell performances at the airport. In addition, shoppers who spend S$60 (on Visa credit cards) or S$120 by other means at any outlet in Changi Airport's Transit Malls will also be eligible for instant lucky treats and stand a chance to win in a 'Travel Round the World Trip for 2' worth S$20,000.

CAAS has also put together great buys for shoppers for this festive season. For instance, a pair of mother of pearl with diamond earrings is retailing at S$398 instead of its usual price of S$1,038. The newly launched Absolut Disco vodka, which is exclusive to Changi Airport among Asia Pacific airports until 31 December 2007, will be available at S$30 a bottle.
Old November 24th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #871
ignoramus

22 Nov 2007
Singapore Concludes Open Skies Agreement with Slovak Republic

Singapore and the Slovak Republic have concluded an Open Skies Agreement (OSA) on 22 November 2007, allowing for full flexibility on air services operated by carriers of both countries. The agreement was reached during air services consultations which took place from 20 to 22 November 2007 in Singapore. The consultations were led by Mr Lim Kim Choon, Director-General and Chief Executive Officer, Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore and Mr Ján Breja, Director General, Ministry of Transport, Posts and Telecommunications of the Slovak Republic, General Directorate of Civil Aviation and Water Transport.

With this agreement, which takes effect immediately, Singapore carriers will be able to operate flights as frequently as desired between Singapore and points in the Slovak Republic, as well as beyond the Slovak Republic to any other city in the world. Similarly, the Slovak Republic carriers will be able to operate any number of services to and beyond Singapore.

Mr Lim said, "This is a very positive agreement that reflects our two countries' commitment to promoting free competition in the aviation industry." He added, "Singapore and the Slovak Republic share warm bilateral ties, and I am confident that this agreement will allow our carriers the full flexibility to react quickly to future market opportunities."

With the Singapore - Slovak Republic OSA, Singapore has concluded OSAs with more than 20 countries, including 11 in the European Union.
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #872
heirloom

i think the terminal is absolutely gorgeous! even for the real pictures, i had to do a double take to make sure i wasn't looking at a rendering.

but i must list down my disappointments.

i agree with zergcere-something. the masses do not make good choices. should have left it to SOM to choose the carpet. after all they already did the rest of the building! changi airport always always has the tackiest carpets.

the sofa is crappy too. i dont understand why its cost of SGD$850 is newsworthy. maybe the newspapers seek too much to appeal to the proletariat masses. it looks horrid, handmade or not. it costs even less than a well crafted faucet. now, if the furniture were handcrafted by poltrona frau.. that'd be a different thing. one cinema here did that with each seat at a cost of SGD$6000.

these are relatively minor quibbles though - functional they remain.

but the non air conditioned underground bus station! good god, they continue to subject commuters to poisonous fumes and uncomfortable moist warmth! i've been to the similar bus stations at terminals one and two, and they are unbearable.

looks like they forgot to seek tourist input on the the bus station.
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 03:24 AM   #873
ignoramus

GOOD: It was indeed a surprise that the roof and the interior turned out the way it did. I was expecting a complete ugly mess unlike that of the rendering. But it turned out GORGEOUS and looks better than the renderings even.

BAD: I agree with heirloom as much as the terminal is great above ground, its bus terminal and viewing gallery is not that desirable.

NEUTRAL: I have no issues with the seats (unique) or the carpet (earthy colour, not sterile colour).
Old November 26th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #874
Lawcheehung
Toronto, I Love You

Likes (Received): 3

I absolutely love the ceiling, the carpet looks good from close, but tacky from far, it's an extremely lovely looking airport
Lawcheehung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #875
ddes

Likes (Received): 935

I'll list my likes first.

The use of natural light; walking around the terminal during the day, you become acutely aware of the fact that there is very few light fixtures.

The carpet. Yes, I agree it is sucky in the Departure Hall, but inside the transit area, especially in the gate holding rooms, the carpet softens the feel of the cold glassy and metallic airport terminal.

Now my dislikes.

The roof. It actually looks nicer on photos, which is abit disappointing. At the Viewing Mall, the roof structure actually becomes intimidating as you come face to face with it, quite literally.

Sofas. No idea why they focus so much on them. In Changi, once passengers get inside the gate holding rooms, they can't exit except to go into the plane. Hence, often on connecting flights, I see passengers in Changi usually waiting outside, sitting on the floor outside the holding rooms until it is time to board. Mere extravagance.

Skytrain connection to Terminal 2. Apparently after numerous times of testing, it is actually significantly faster to cross to T2 via the Changi Airport MRT Station concourse bridge with travellators. Skytrain connection for the sake of it?

Neutral.

Viewing Mall. I've grown to accept that Changi is not aviation enthusiast friendly, can't really be changed. But at least, you'll have lousy views of the SIA A380s, lousy, but at least they're views, right?

Underground bus terminal. Well, no one has died of Carbon Monoxide poisoning yet so I guess it is safe, right?

Rather dark Arrival Hall. Boast they can about natural light in the baggage claim area and Departure Hall, but this place is signficantly darker.... Who turned the lights off?
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #876
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarkdom View Post
Skytrain connection to Terminal 2. Apparently after numerous times of testing, it is actually significantly faster to cross to T2 via the Changi Airport MRT Station concourse bridge with travellators. Skytrain connection for the sake of it?
Err for transit passengers who can't access the MRT Station bridge? And for anyone who does not want to take the elevator down 3 floors from Departures, make their way across the bridge and take the elevator up 3 floors? I agree its faster at what price?
Old November 26th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #877
ddes

Likes (Received): 935

Obviously for transit passengers, they'd take the Skytrain.

At what price?

Considering the Skytrain station is quite a bit of walk away, compared to the MRT station which is almost beside the actual Check-In Counters. And considering the lousy frequency of the Skytrain?

Surprisingly, NO pictures of the carpark yet. Although there is little attraction is the car park, I'd like to see a scale of it... Forgot to search for the car park when I was at Open House twice.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:14 AM   #878
ignoramus

I don't mean to sound offensive just clearing up a point

So you find the Skytrain line between T2 & 3 a white elephant even though
1. It serves transit passengers who cant utilise the underground link
2. It serves landside commuters who do not want to walk to Terminal 3 via the underground link becus of mobility issues and comfort issues. Why walk the full length of T2 and the underground link and T3 when you can cut away the middle part.

The airport wldn't be better without this "wasteful" skytrain link right...

Though I agree the placing and frequency should have been improved but not given the current
1. "retrofit" in design of the system around existing buildings
2. plus cost cuttings measures were introduced in the refined design (designs were refined and certain components cut like no of trains ordered).
3. There's only so close you can place stations

At least, the frequency could improve in the future, especially with more passenger using the terminal. After all, not the trains are barely at capacity, at best half.
Old November 27th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #879
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Great to see so much discussion here....
Old November 27th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #880
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Near entrance

Near entrance also

Taxi waiting area

Tags
changi airport, singapore, singapore airlines, south asian hub airport