daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 14th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #961
sandstorm6299

Likes (Received): 50

Those renders are hawt! T1 definitely needs a bit of work to refresh the place. The new carpet really does brighten up the area.
sandstorm6299 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #962
Matthew Lowry

Likes (Received): 4

I love the Airport best in the world
Matthew Lowry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #963
FlagshipV
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Lowry View Post
I love the Airport best in the world
I love it too! I dont know why HKIA is compared to Changi...
FlagshipV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #964
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1641

Some pictures of Terminal Ones new look:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronaldtanhn/
Old August 19th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #965
ad50939
Need vacation....

Likes (Received): 15

Nice!

Please keep updating. Thanks.
ad50939 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #966
Matthew Lowry

Likes (Received): 4

Singapore Airport is the best in the World far better then Dubai.
Matthew Lowry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #967
FlagshipV
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Lowry View Post
Singapore Airport is the best in the World far better then Dubai.
Dubai is not even considered a five star airport by Skytrax. It is rated only as a Three star airport. There are only three five star airports: Singapore Changi, Hong Kong and Seoul Incheon. Here the link:http://www.airlinequality.com/AirportRanking/5-Star.htm
FlagshipV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 04:35 AM   #968
ad50939
Need vacation....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagshipV View Post
........ There are only three five star airports: Singapore Changi, Hong Kong and Seoul Incheon...... http://www.airlinequality.com/AirportRanking/5-Star.htm
How come HKIA be a 5-star airport? I think it's a 4 - 4.5-star. I agree that while HKIA is a very efficient compact airport, there is something missing there to make it truly 5-star, such as an airside transit hotel, airside communal space for temporary exhibitions, observation deck, etc.

An off-topic issue: This is my 100th post in this forum. Yea.....h !

Last edited by ad50939; August 20th, 2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old August 20th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #969
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad50939 View Post
How come HKIA be a 5-star airport? I think it's a 4 - 4.5-star. I agree that while HKIA is a very efficient compact airport, there is something missing there to make it truly 5-star, such as an airside transit hotel, airside communal space for temporary exhibitions, observation deck, etc.

An off-topic issue: This is my 100 post in the forum. Yea.....h !
I think Hong Kong International Airport is a bit rundown. It doesnt even have exclusive waiting rooms for every flight like Changi. I think Changi is the best!!
Old August 20th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #970
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18218

Quote:

An off-topic issue: This is my 100 post in the forum. Yea.....h !
Err ... I think the key success factor is seemless and efficient movement from check-in to boarding. The other bells and whistles are nice to have but not really that crucial for a good airport. There are spaces within T1 for exhibitions. There is quite a large area right at the edge of the Y-shape where the people mover escalators are located. The observation deck is at T2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrooms View Post
I think Hong Kong International Airport is a bit rundown. It doesnt even have exclusive waiting rooms for every flight like Changi. I think Changi is the best!!
Those waiting rooms are extremely inefficient and my biggest complaint when using Changi. Once you go past the room's security, you are trapped in there. There isn't even a bathroom you can use and good luck getting food. X-rays should be located right beside immigration, and passengers can then roam the terminal freely once past.

Feeling trapped is the last thing you'd want to impress on a passenger, given how cramped it gets on a plane already.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #971
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Those waiting rooms are extremely inefficient and my biggest complaint when using Changi. Once you go past the room's security, you are trapped in there. There isn't even a bathroom you can use and good luck getting food. X-rays should be located right beside immigration, and passengers can then roam the terminal freely once past.

Feeling trapped is the last thing you'd want to impress on a passenger, given how cramped it gets on a plane already.
I've got to disagree with you on that!! The waiting rooms only open half an hour before the flight and it lets those who want to be away from the crowd be away. Food? isnt it provided on the plane? Anyway you have two hours to kill and in Changi there are plenty of shops and F&B outlets to kill time. In Hong Kong, Shopping, Food and everything else except toilets are far away from the designated waiting areas. On my last trip to HK staff were eating and talking really loudly at the waiting areas!! Changi puts the x ray machines just before the Waiting rooms to shorten the queues....
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #972
caelus

Likes (Received): 5

hkskyline, why bother argue with the singaporean? they clearly have a preference already.......... funny its always the singapoean attempt to talk down hk in every forum i visited, i dont recall seeing the other way around, i wonder why........
caelus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #973
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
I've got to disagree with you on that!! The waiting rooms only open half an hour before the flight and it lets those who want to be away from the crowd be away. Food? isnt it provided on the plane? Anyway you have two hours to kill and in Changi there are plenty of shops and F&B outlets to kill time. In Hong Kong, Shopping, Food and everything else except toilets are far away from the designated waiting areas. On my last trip to HK staff were eating and talking really loudly at the waiting areas!! Changi puts the x ray machines just before the Waiting rooms to shorten the queues....
No. The rooms are open way before that and they're very small. In the end when there is a widebody, people cannot find seats and are forced to stand. This is especially bad in T1 where the facilities are old.

By the way, people can eat and shop before they board the plane. Not everyone enjoys airplane food. I must say even Business Class food is so-so and the choices pale in comparison with what's in the terminal.

Free movement within the terminal is a key advantage especially new airport designs now encourage open space and offer plenty of amenities. What good use is it to have these amenities when you ultimately are crammed in some room separated from it all, waiting for your flight and hope you're not there any longer if it's delayed?

The queues are far worse having the X-ray machines right at the gate, because you can potentially have 200+ passengers cram the 2 machines as the waiting room opens. If you claim they open 30 minutes before departure, which is not the case anyway, then planes will be delayed because gates close earlier than departure time and you have an even shorter time frame to process everyone. I have been very annoyed by the long lines at the X-ray machines waiting to get into the segregated waiting room.

I've also seen garbage on the floor at Changi, but I wouldn't generalize that into a major issue about the airport. Were the ground staff you saw on break? You most certainly can eat within the terminal in Hong Kong. You won't get fined for that.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #974
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
No. The rooms are open way before that and they're very small. In the end when there is a widebody, people cannot find seats and are forced to stand. This is especially bad in T1 where the facilities are old.

By the way, people can eat and shop before they board the plane. Not everyone enjoys airplane food. I must say even Business Class food is so-so and the choices pale in comparison with what's in the terminal.

Free movement within the terminal is a key advantage especially new airport designs now encourage open space and offer plenty of amenities. What good use is it to have these amenities when you ultimately are crammed in some room separated from it all, waiting for your flight and hope you're not there any longer if it's delayed?

The queues are far worse having the X-ray machines right at the gate, because you can potentially have 200+ passengers cram the 2 machines as the waiting room opens. If you claim they open 30 minutes before departure, which is not the case anyway, then planes will be delayed because gates close earlier than departure time and you have an even shorter time frame to process everyone. I have been very annoyed by the long lines at the X-ray machines waiting to get into the segregated waiting room.

I've also seen garbage on the floor at Changi, but I wouldn't generalize that into a major issue about the airport. Were the ground staff you saw on break? You most certainly can eat within the terminal in Hong Kong. You won't get fined for that.
Even if the rooms are open before that so what??? Nobody forced you to go in there straight away. Small?? The rooms are not small they are accually quiet big with ample sitting and wide walkways for those with baggage.

I knew that people can eat and drink before they board the plane! Didnt i mention that there are many F&B outlets and shops in Changi in my last post!!

I think the queues are worst if you have the X-ray machines after immigration, if one person on another flight screws up, the whole queue is jammed. Whereas having it at the waiting lounge, you have two for each flight to shorten queues. I'm sure changi has more X ray machines then HKIA.

I have also see garbage on the floor not only in HK but in many other aports around the world. Its a common problem. In Singapore's Changi, you wont get fined for eating in terminal!!! I just found it odd that staff can accually sit and take up seating place at the gates to talk loudly and have their meals. Dont they have a canteen or something??
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #975
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caelus View Post
hkskyline, why bother argue with the singaporean? they clearly have a preference already.......... funny its always the singapoean attempt to talk down hk in every forum i visited, i dont recall seeing the other way around, i wonder why........
Are you sure i have not talked up on Hong Kong's Cathay Pacific or their Skyline?? Please get your facts right before you post!!!!!!
Old August 20th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #976
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2617

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagshipV View Post
I love it too! I dont know why HKIA is compared to Changi...
That is because both HKIA and Changi are major air hubs in Asia and are usually in the top 2 spot.

Incheon comes close.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #977
ad50939
Need vacation....

The preceding few posts has brought out an interesting point.

It seems that Changi and HKIA has adopted a very different security screening logic.

When I was in Changi T3 lastly in May 2008, security screening for departing flight is right before the gate lounges. The airside concourse area outside the gate lounges is common for all departures, arrivals and transfers. So an arriving traveller may choose to do some shopping and to have a cup of coffee before heading to arrival immigration. Is my understanding correct?

I remember similar arrangement is also adopted in KLIA, i.e. decentralized security screening (at gate lounge) and shared concourse for departures and arrivals.

In BKK, security screening is also decentralized, but departures and arrivals are separated in two levels.

In HKIA, departures and arrivals are totally separated in two levels. Departure security screening is centralized before going through departure immigration. Transfer passengers would need to go through security screening before ascending to the departure concourse.

What are the considerations behind different arrangements?

As for the use of enclosed gate lounge or open gate lounge, I'd prefer the later. Without the enclosures the concourse area will surely appears more spacious, not to mention the unobstructed view to the air field and the freedom to choose less congested area to sit down.

Last edited by ad50939; August 20th, 2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old August 20th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #978
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Even if the rooms are open before that so what??? Nobody forced you to go in there straight away. Small?? The rooms are not small they are accually quiet big with ample sitting and wide walkways for those with baggage.

I knew that people can eat and drink before they board the plane! Didnt i mention that there are many F&B outlets and shops in Changi in my last post!!

I think the queues are worst if you have the X-ray machines after immigration, if one person on another flight screws up, the whole queue is jammed. Whereas having it at the waiting lounge, you have two for each flight to shorten queues. I'm sure changi has more X ray machines then HKIA.

I have also see garbage on the floor not only in HK but in many other aports around the world. Its a common problem. In Singapore's Changi, you wont get fined for eating in terminal!!! I just found it odd that staff can accually sit and take up seating place at the gates to talk loudly and have their meals. Dont they have a canteen or something??
Of course you would not to but need to get into the waiting room early because the gate normally closes 10-20 minutes before the departure time so the crew can prepare for push-back. I would not recommend anyone trying to make the mad dash at the end, or else they would risk delaying the flight. If everyone rushes in at the minimum time, it would just create a bottleneck at the X-rays, which is exactly what I see every time I use Changi. Moving the X-ray machines out to the gate makes the waiting and boarding experience quite painful, since passenger flows tend to be concentrated rather than spread out.

While there are many food outlets at Changi, the fact that you need to get to your waiting room early and are stuck in there after you pass the X-rays mean you really can't make the best use of your time to utilize the terminal's facilities. In fact, I don't recall seeing such waiting rooms in all the modern large airports I've been to. This restriction really hampers the passenger experience and free flow, while there is no added benefit as it just shifts the queues to the gate, which I think is far worse especially if I'm a bit tight in time for departure.

Putting the X-rays after immigration actually is a good thing, because people enter the restricted area at different times before the flight, so the crowds thin out, and there are already queues at immigration to control the flow, so the X-rays won't likely jam up unless they have a very few machines. In Changi's setup, you may get very bad queues at both immigration and security check. In fact, Changi's security check is usually bound for long lines unless you get into the fishbowl very early, and get trapped in there for a long time. At other airports I've been to, if I line up at immigration, most likely the security check won't be as bad (except in the US). You bear the pain in one but coast through the other. It's all about the nature of passenger flows.

Think of it as a funnel. You jam as you enter the funnel. But once you're inside, you won't get stuck again. Changi's setup is 2 funnels, which means you can be slammed twice ... and I have been slammed twice there in many instances.

So given Changi's setup, even though there are more X-ray machines than HKIA, the lines are worse. It takes much longer to go through the whole process at Changi than at HKIA. It's all about efficiency, and good use of equipment, not the numbers. I really wonder why they didn't fix that obvious problem for T3.

Old August 20th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #979
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
When I was in Changi T3 lastly in May 2008, security screening for departing flight is right before the gate lounges. The airside concourse area outside the gate lounges is common for all departures, arrivals and transfers. So an arriving traveller may choose to do some shopping and to have a cup of coffee before heading to arrival immigration. Is my understanding correct?

Yes if they dont have any baggage to collect. Changi has also put Duty Free Shopping(DFS) after or near the Baggage collection so that travellers will have time to buy what they want after collecting their baggage.
Old August 20th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #980
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by caelus View Post
Haha ... yes, I notice that as well. But at the end of the day, the facts and logic will rule the day.

Tags
changi airport, singapore, singapore airlines, south asian hub airport