daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 22nd, 2012, 10:11 AM   #1361
Mith252
Proud to be Malay-Chinese

Likes (Received): 3339

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
If I were to design an airport myself, I would incorporate features found at Changi Airport, including lots of open gardens, an efficient inter terminal tram, an airport hotel, even lounges wherein not just business and first class passengers can use (complete with cinemas, XBox machines, and the like). I just hope it can be done at every major international gateway, not just at SIN because it will entice even more people to use the airport. Question though: is T4 being developed right now?
Right now, they are still doing some studies on the design. Construction would only start in the middle of next year.

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2012, 10:13 AM   #1362
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith252 View Post
Right now, they are still doing some studies on the design. Construction would only start in the middle of next year.
And I hope that new terminal would evolve to be much better than T3. And will the new terminal replace the current LCC Terminal?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 07:12 AM   #1363
Mith252
Proud to be Malay-Chinese

Likes (Received): 3339

Quote:
And I hope that new terminal would evolve to be much better than T3. And will the new terminal replace the current LCC Terminal?
Yes. The current LCC has been demolished. All budget airlines have been moved to Terminal 2.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 08:08 AM   #1364
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith252

Yes. The current LCC has been demolished. All budget airlines have been moved to Terminal 2.
That's great news indeed. So will the LCCs have their own terminal still, or will those have to share with other full-service carriers?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old October 23rd, 2012, 10:07 AM   #1365
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
That's great news indeed. So will the LCCs have their own terminal still, or will those have to share with other full-service carriers?
The operators of SIN are presently exploring the best location for the new LCC Terminal... Would appear the favorable location will be located next to the military airbase which has it's own runway...
Old October 23rd, 2012, 12:33 PM   #1366
Tricky

Likes (Received): 150

I love how quickly Singapore generally moves on new developments (whether it's in relation to the airport or other infrastructure projects) - unlike in many parts of Europe or in Australia, decisions are made swiftly and in anticipation of how to keep the economy competitive.

As for the airport, given they've only opened T3 a short while ago, I'm amazed how soon they now want to start on T4! Again, proof of how authorities don't wait until it's too late!
Old October 23rd, 2012, 12:43 PM   #1367
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
I love how quickly Singapore generally moves on new developments (whether it's in relation to the airport or other infrastructure projects) - unlike in many parts of Europe or in Australia, decisions are made swiftly and in anticipation of how to keep the economy competitive.

As for the airport, given they've only opened T3 a short while ago, I'm amazed how soon they now want to start on T4! Again, proof of how authorities don't wait until it's too late!
Singapore is working on both T4 and the LCC T4 terminal... An amazing city...
Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:28 PM   #1368
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky

You should say that to the Philippines, please. Many people there fail to realize how valuable such developments are to the growth of the country. All they do is mudslinging with endless blaming on each other... With no results. I really love SIN's progress, especially with Changi.

Old October 24th, 2012, 06:34 AM   #1369
Tandax

Likes (Received): 451

I totally agree, the authorities of Singapore don't muck around when it comes to big infrastructure projects and they get things done quickly and on budget. Changi Airport is the pride of Singapore and IMO, the best and most efficient airport in the world. Kudos to Singapore
Old October 24th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #1370
shree711

Likes (Received): 33

I never took a fancy to this airport because there are too many terminals in different places.
shree711 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #1371
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandax
I totally agree, the authorities of Singapore don't muck around when it comes to big infrastructure projects and they get things done quickly and on budget. Changi Airport is the pride of Singapore and IMO, the best and most efficient airport in the world. Kudos to Singapore
I just truly hope that Manila will learn a lot from Changi. I seriously do want Manila's "new" airport to be operated like Changi: modern, clean, efficient, and fast-evolving.

Old October 24th, 2012, 08:11 AM   #1372
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree711

I never took a fancy to this airport because there are too many terminals in different places.
I think what really matters is you get from the airport door to the gate (and vice versa) with speed and ease... And you get to shop, dine, rest, even watch a movie or play games before your flight!

Old October 24th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #1373
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4436

Quote:
You should say that to the Philippines, please. Many people there fail to realize how valuable such developments are to the growth of the country. All they do is mudslinging with endless blaming on each other... With no results. I really love SIN's progress, especially with Changi.
Singapore is not a democracy while the Philipines is a democracy, that's the difference.
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #1374
shree711

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS

Singapore is not a democracy while the Philipines is a democracy, that's the difference.
What do you mean Singapore is not a democracy. I'm hearing this for the first time.
Old October 24th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #1375
Tandax

Quote:
Correct me if i'm wrong, dont know much about Philippines and i haven't been there but it is a well known fact that third world countries government are known to be more corrupt than western countries. Perhaps that could be the main reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
Dude, you have no idea.
Old October 24th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #1376
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:

Correct me if i'm wrong, dont know much about Philippines and i haven't been there but it is a well known fact that third world countries government are known to be more corrupt than western countries. Perhaps that could be the main reason
corruption, graft, bribery... some of the key differences the Philippines has against other countries. In fact, the Philippines is among the most corrupt countries in Asia, along with Bangladesh, and it is indeed a reason why infrastructure development there tends to be limited. I may have been living in San Francisco for over six years, sure, but I've lived the first 18 of my life in Manila, and I've grown to see corruption first hand. Plus, I've gone through MNL several times that I remembered the leaking roofs, disorder, and chaos at the terminals, particularly Terminal 1, because too many people wait for just like, what, one or two arriving passengers.

Old October 24th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #1377
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS

I beg to differ: Singapore has a more efficient democracy and more disciplined than the Philippines.

Old October 25th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #1378
Tandax

Quote:
corruption, graft, bribery... some of the key differences the Philippines has against other countries. In fact, the Philippines is among the most corrupt countries in Asia, along with Bangladesh, and it is indeed a reason why infrastructure development there tends to be limited. I may have been living in San Francisco for over six years, sure, but I've lived the first 18 of my life in Manila, and I've grown to see corruption first hand. Plus, I've gone through MNL several times that I remembered the leaking roofs, disorder, and chaos at the terminals, particularly Terminal 1, because too many people wait for just like, what, one or two arriving passengers.
Yeah thanks for that.. Its a shame that corruption happens everywhere in the world, but really sad that its more extreme in poorer countries. That does make a big impact not only on progress and development, but it effects the ordinary citizens so much that they will always struggle to get ahead in life.
Old October 25th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #1379
shree711

Key examples include Pakistan and India.
Old October 25th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #1380
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:

Yeah thanks for that.. Its a shame that corruption happens everywhere in the world, but really sad that its more extreme in poorer countries. That does make a big impact not only on progress and development, but it effects the ordinary citizens so much that they will always struggle to get ahead in life.
And that is a reason why Manila keeps on struggling to finally get up from the shambles of corruption that, one of my friends told me, "corruption is deeply embedded in the Transportation Department, I don't even know where to start unshackling the chains that corrode us." I don't know what it would take for countries like the Philippines to finally catch up to like, Malaysia or Vietnam to begin with. And it holds true for airports: I mean, I may not have visited Changi yet, but it is one of my must-visit airports and countries because I really love the speed and efficiency of the airport, as well as the multicultural nature of the city-state.

Question: how long does it take for a passenger to go through the departure and arrival procedures there at Changi? Plus, are airport fees already included in the ticket?

Tags
changi airport, singapore, singapore airlines, south asian hub airport