daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 11th, 2004, 05:30 PM   #161
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Well if we were to look at it seriously, is it truly a viable option?

Dubai does have an open skies policy to allow SIA establishing a hub, hopefully?
Right now I think they won't do it cos they are still in the midst of developing emirates........i dun think they will put such a strong competitor in their own hub......

But i think in the long run might as well spend more time on developing changi instead.....
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2004, 06:14 PM   #162
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
Right now I think they won't do it cos they are still in the midst of developing emirates........i dun think they will put such a strong competitor in their own hub......

But i think in the long run might as well spend more time on developing changi instead.....
Well, SIA might actually loose out if it is flying from the gulf, if you think about it. Emirates scored for offering top-notch service with competitive pricing. SIA will loose out in terms of pricing, unless they can out pace the service offered by Emirates by a significant degree.

But I do want to see how Emirates reacts should SIA goes right ahead!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2004, 06:22 PM   #163
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Well, SIA might actually loose out if it is flying from the gulf, if you think about it. Emirates scored for offering top-notch service with competitive pricing. SIA will loose out in terms of pricing, unless they can out pace the service offered by Emirates by a significant degree.

But I do want to see how Emirates reacts should SIA goes right ahead!
Pricing?? Hmm....maybe they'll react like they reacted to the budget airlines competition........
Old September 12th, 2004, 09:56 AM   #164
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Btw hows the movie "the terminal"??
Old September 13th, 2004, 04:47 PM   #165
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Time is GMT + 8 hours
Posted: 13 September 2004 1945 hrs

Dnata may use CIAS as platform to expand into China and region
By Mazlena Mazlan, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : Emirates Group unit Dnata is considering Changi International Airport Services as a platform for expanding into China and the rest of the region.

Dnata president Gary Chapman told Channel NewsAsia this in an exclusive interview in Dubai.

Dnata is buying Temasek Holdings' 78.4 percent stake in CIAS.

CIAS already has interest in ground handling operations in Guangzhou, China.

Dnata already has operations in the Pakistani cities of Karachi, Islamabad, Lahore and Peshawar.

It also operates in Manila, Tehran and Doha.

But it views its CIAS acquisition as without question its most important expansion.

Gary Chapman, Chairman, Dnata, said: "We will be very keen to play a part to see Changi grow and prosper. It'll be in our interest to see that happen as a business."

Dnata says that hopefully it can wrap up the CIAS acquisition in the next month to 6 weeks.

It disclosed that the whole deal had gone through in double quick time.

It was first approached about buying over Temasek's stake only in May or June this year.

By last Friday, the deal was sealed.

On a third ground handler, Swissport International, starting operations at Changi Airport next year, Dnata says it is very difficult for it to predict exactly what are the implications of that. - CNA

Copyright © 2004 MCN International Pte Ltd
Old September 13th, 2004, 05:26 PM   #166
Medan01

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone
Ain't Emirates always competing with SIA?
Emirates is not in the same league as SIA at all. SIA has better business and economy class products. In terms of First Class, I would say both airlines are comparable although Emirates may be winning only in its new A340 First Class suites. Inconsistency is still found flying Emirates. I have flown on both airlines before and I will still be very loyal to SIA for its services and its business class.
Old September 13th, 2004, 05:42 PM   #167
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

^
Hmmm...thats intteresting.......
Old September 14th, 2004, 09:01 PM   #168
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Trust those who fly much more often then I do!

Medan, dont you think the price you are paying for SIA somehow dampens the joy of enjoying the level of service they provide?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old September 15th, 2004, 02:10 PM   #169
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Business Times - 15 Sep 2004

Changi Airport's passenger volume close to new record level

SINGAPORE - Passenger traffic at Changi Airport continued to surpass pre-SARS levels in the month of August.

The airport handled some 2.6 million travellers in August 2004, marking an increase of 15 per cent as compared with the 2.26 million travellers in August 2003.

Compared to August 2002, the latest passenger traffic number was 4 per cent higher.

In August 2002, 2.5 million passengers came through Changi Airport. The latest August figure offers optimism that passenger traffic at Changi Airport will reach new heights this year, barring unforeseen circumstances.

Between January and August 2004, a total of 19.68 million passengers visited Changi Airport.

This is 31.1 per cent more than the same period a year ago, and a 2.9 per cent increase from the corresponding January to August period in 2002.

Passenger volume at Changi Airport reached a record high in 2002, hitting 29 million passengers for the full year.

Meanwhile, Changi Airport processed 147,398 tonnes of cargo in August 2004, which is a jump of 11 per cent from 132,846 tonnes in August 2003, and an increase of 6.3 per cent over August 2002, when 138,618 tonnes of air freight was moved at Changi Airport.

Between January and August 2004, Changi Airport handled slightly over a million tonnes of air freight.

This is an 11.7 per cent hike over the same period last year, and an 8 per cent increase over 2002.

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.
Old September 16th, 2004, 04:41 PM   #170
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Yoopee! I am just gonna see how much budget aviation is going to make an impact in the figures, if at all!

Old September 16th, 2004, 05:57 PM   #171
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Time is GMT + 8 hours
Posted: 16 September 2004 2247 hrs

Manpower Minister urges SATS to restructure wages to stay competitive

SINGAPORE : The management and union of Singapore Air Terminal Services (SATS) have been told to conclude their collective agreement quickly.

Manpower Minister Ng Eng Hen said it was crucial for SATS to restructure its wages to stay competitive.

Dr Ng was speaking at the SATS Workers' Union on Thursday.

Citing the example of PSA which also underwent wage restructuring, Dr Ng says the port operator is now seeing the benefits.

Last year, PSA staff accepted wage cuts to keep costs down.

When things turned around, staff were given a goodwill bonus in August, and will be eligible for another bonus next month if the company achieves its cost reduction targets.

Dr Ng said similarly SATS, which is the dominant player in airport services, needs to be just as nimble, especially with price-sensitive low-cost carriers entering the market.

He said Changi Airport must lower fixed costs, otherwise airlines and passengers may bypass Changi. - CNA

Copyright © 2004 MCN International Pte Ltd
Old September 17th, 2004, 09:37 AM   #172
huaiwei
The Monkey King

SATS is just a lumbering monster with a strong financial backing....SIA!

Old September 17th, 2004, 04:29 PM   #173
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
SATS is just a lumbering monster with a strong financial backing....SIA!
Haha......I'm not surprised.........

Anyway they have a 80% market share in the ground service in changi airport so how much they charge is really quite crucial for changi........
Old September 17th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #174
huaiwei
The Monkey King

That is true. I would think it is highly in Changi's interest that SATS's near monopoly is diminished to a more palatable share of the market.

But then again, cant help that SIA is certainly huge in Changi already!

Old September 20th, 2004, 02:13 PM   #175
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Business Times - 20 Sep 2004

Changi airport adds more routes to China

SINGAPORE -Changi Airport's link to China has expanded further.

Travellers can now catch direct flights to Dalian and Ningbo cities from Singapore via China Southern Airlines.

The new service departs Singapore at 0300 hours every Monday and Thursday, arrives at Ningbo at 0740 hours, and takes off for Dalian again at 0830 hours.

It arrives at Dalian at 1010 hours. Visitors bound for Singapore can catch a flight from Dalian every Sunday and Wednesday at 1900 hours.

The flight first arrives at Ningbo at 2040 hours, before departing again at 2130 hours for Singapore.

It arrives at Singapore early the next morning at 0200 hours.

With the latest additions of Dalian and Ningbo in Changi Airport's network, Singapore is now linked to 17 cities in China.

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 05:24 PM   #176
huaiwei
The Monkey King

SIA is planning to fly direct to Northeast China soon. Will be looking forward to that!

Old September 23rd, 2004, 12:29 AM   #177
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
SIA is planning to fly direct to Northeast China soon. Will be looking forward to that!
If North Korea open up, maybe SIA might fly there too??
Old September 24th, 2004, 10:07 AM   #178
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
If North Korea open up, maybe SIA might fly there too??
And who do you suppose are going to take that flight?

Old September 24th, 2004, 10:48 AM   #179
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
And who do you suppose are going to take that flight?
Ppl looking to expand their business in North Korea and those who might be interested to travel there.......

But then it seems like a long wait..........(Dun know it ever happen anot??)....
Old September 24th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #180
heirloom

my primary school sends me their newsletter frequently.. and a few years ago there was this article about a school trip to north korea.. quite shocking haha
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
changi airport, singapore, singapore airlines, south asian hub airport