daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Chicago

Old January 25th, 2009, 04:55 AM   #1
LindseyHunter

Likes (Received): 0

Worst, scariest, and most dangerous area of Chicago?

I've explored most areas of chicago, and was wondering what you thought the worst area was in terms of danger and dismay. Obviously Englewood is usually near the top in the murder rate, as well as some west side areas, but to me, the scariest area is the area where michigan ave ends when heading south, along the 60's st, going east, along with the praire area right next, basically, anything east of where michigan ave ends on the southside. I drove through that area and it looks like a war zone! I saw prostitutes shamelessly trying chase me at a red light offering services, saw people smoking dope/shooting up in the corners, and so many poor homeless people, it really is a sad enviroment. I enjoy visiting all parts of a city, not just the touristy and affluent areas, and thus to me this was the worst area of chicago I've seen thus far, along with some west side neighboorhoods I've driven through off 290.
Just curious if anyone else wants to chime in as I enjoy taking photography of different inner city areas and the residents as an art project I'm currently creating.

And one final note, there is nothing in chicago that remotely resembles the most troubled, poverty stricken city to me in the US, EAST ST. LOUIS! I visited that area recently and not only is it in shambles, the air and the ridiculous pollution in the ground and air, probably make it one of the most horrible places to reside! Going past the bridge in st. louis and driving around east st louis was probably the scariest driving experience I've ever had thus far and I don't think any inner city in the US would be as dangerous!
LindseyHunter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 25th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Northsider

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
And one final note, there is nothing in chicago that remotely resembles the most troubled, poverty stricken city to me in the US, EAST ST. LOUIS!
Try Gary or Hammond right over the border. :-/

Quote:
Worst, scariest, and most dangerous area of Chicago?
I think this is purely subjective, based on one's own perception of "danger" and "scary". I can honestly say that I've walked in pretty much every neighborhood in Chicago (during the day) except Englewood and the far south neighborhoods. To me, the worst of the ghettos is definitely off of the Ike. I guess between Roosevelt and North Ave, from Laramie to Sacramento.
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #3
skobabe8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
Try Gary or Hammond right over the border. :-/

Hammond is not even in the same league as East St. Louis. Gary is, but still its not as bad IMO.
skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #4
jsk1983

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
Hammond is not even in the same league as East St. Louis. Gary is, but still its not as bad IMO.
Cairo, in southern Illinois may be worse. From the pictures I've seen it really does look like a ghost town.
jsk1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #5
Northsider

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
Like I said, this is purely subjective.
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 04:39 AM   #6
skobabe8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
Like I said, this is purely subjective.

I understand that.
skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #7
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

The haunted houses.
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #8
trvlr70

O'Hare
trvlr70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #9
mdjg
In the bridge

Likes (Received): 3692

Pics!!
Pls

Click

Pagina de Celaya
mdjg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #10
kellykam

Scarry Chi Town?

If you live in Chicago you will know the Scarry sections, if you do one of them Tours in Chicago you will never see them!

Last edited by kellykam; February 18th, 2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: spelling
kellykam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #11
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 3

Neighborhoods with most crimes reported, from Everyblock.com
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #12
Hawthorne House

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyHunter View Post
I've explored most areas of chicago, and was wondering what you thought the worst area was in terms of danger and dismay. Obviously Englewood is usually near the top in the murder rate, as well as some west side areas, but to me, the scariest area is the area where michigan ave ends when heading south, along the 60's st, going east, along with the praire area right next, basically, anything east of where michigan ave ends on the southside. I drove through that area and it looks like a war zone! I saw prostitutes shamelessly trying chase me at a red light offering services, saw people smoking dope/shooting up in the corners, and so many poor homeless people, it really is a sad enviroment. I enjoy visiting all parts of a city, not just the touristy and affluent areas, and thus to me this was the worst area of chicago I've seen thus far, along with some west side neighboorhoods I've driven through off 290.
Just curious if anyone else wants to chime in as I enjoy taking photography of different inner city areas and the residents as an art project I'm currently creating.

And one final note, there is nothing in chicago that remotely resembles the most troubled, poverty stricken city to me in the US, EAST ST. LOUIS! I visited that area recently and not only is it in shambles, the air and the ridiculous pollution in the ground and air, probably make it one of the most horrible places to reside! Going past the bridge in st. louis and driving around east st louis was probably the scariest driving experience I've ever had thus far and I don't think any inner city in the US would be as dangerous!
North City in St. Louis easily rivals or surpasses East St. Louis.
Hawthorne House no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 02:36 AM   #13
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 535

Chicago has many "scary" areas. My scariest area is not even in Chicago.... It is Barrington.

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #14
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 3

^ Easy... don't be hatin on suburbs. But scarily snotty? Yes.
BorisMolotov no está en línea   Reply With Quote