daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 28th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #1
love-qatar

Likes (Received): 562

QATAR - FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022 bid

The secretary general of Qatar Football Association QFA, Mr. Saud Al Mohannadi, has announced on Monday, that QFA has officially submitted Qatar’s bidding documents to the FIFA in attempt to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Doha.

Al Mohannadi stressed that QFA has sent an official letter to the football governing body "FIFA" on Monday, confirmed Qatar nomination to join the race for hosting the forthcoming FIFA World Cup in 2018 and 2022.

Two weeks ago, FIFA has received some bidding documents of countries desired to host FIFA World Cup in 2018 and 2022, as the governing body defined February 2, 2009 as a deadline for receiving these documents.

http://www.qatarolympics.org/
love-qatar no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #2
PaulFCB
BANNED

Likes (Received): 262

Does Qatar even have 9-10 cities? They only have 1 stadium capable of hosting a WC game and far from being a opening match/final.
I think they dream foolishly, they have a few 20.000 stadiums but they have to built new ones from 0 and not only in Doha.
PaulFCB no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #3
love-qatar

there is 9 staduims now which 5 of thim are ready and the other 4 need to expand. they can. they can build new staduims, and the development of some venues because all the stadiums and in conformity with all the requirements.

no one forget that Qatar loss the race to host the olimpics games 2016 without reason and it organized the best Asian Games ever, and that it will host the Asian Cup for the second time in 2011
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #4
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2719

Looks like just one is ready

http://www.fussballtempel.net/afc/QAT.html

Rest is under 40,000.

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #5
RobH

Likes (Received): 10343

Qatar doesn't have the population to host an event like this. It would be completely unsustainable to build 8 or more 40,000 plus seat stadiums in this region and would confirm FIFA's greed and stupidity if they okayed it.

I'm sorry, but it's a non-starter as far as I'm concered.

Launching a bid as a PR vehicle in itself isn't the worst idea in the world though...
RobH no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #6
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

They really need to make this a joint bid with another middle eastern country such as Saudi Arabia to have any chance. Then they can make a stronger case for having a "middle east" world cup which has never happened. They might have a chance then but not on their own.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #7
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

im surprised they haven't tried making a joint bid with the United Arab Emirates, especially with all the potential money involved.
Old January 29th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #8
PaulFCB
BANNED

Except they're national stadium that can only match the reqs for a ordinary group stage WC stadium the rest are chaotic and mean nothing, they need to be build from 0 not to add that like 4 or 5 of them are in the same city, Doha.
Dreams for a 5 year old child, even in a joint bid Qatar can't host 1/3 of the stadiums.
PaulFCB no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #9
Bergnorth1989

Likes (Received): 0

Mr love-Qatar, we both know Qatar won't host any world cup alone. It's a big joke- only 3 stadiums have up to 20,000 seats.. so they would have to build another new 6-7 new serious stadiums, i'm not sure it will go, and if it can work -i'm sure it's a bit funny to have 8 stadiums in one city. it must beat the giant record of London :p

Another point.. world cup hosting means a serious logistic system. I can't see Qatar, too small area, hosts milions of football fans and the few thousands of communication and trading workers. When it's being hosted in a gigantic area like Germany or France, the tour is being prepared in a big cover of 7-8 cities. If you host em all in Doha.. people will have to wait 10 hours for buying chips meal in Mcdonald's (not serious.. just take it as an example).

Think about that..

In my opinion, the best solution is fully middle east hosting. 2 stadiums in Doha, 2 in UAE, 2 in Egypt, 2 in Israel and 2 in Jorden. that sounds too much better.
Bergnorth1989 no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #10
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
They really need to make this a joint bid with another middle eastern country such as Saudi Arabia to have any chance. Then they can make a stronger case for having a "middle east" world cup which has never happened. They might have a chance then but not on their own.
What have you been smoking?

I doubt Saudi Arabia is going to let in tens of thousands of drunk European football fanatics. Does SA even have enough cities to warrant building so many stadiums? It's not like they would allow Medina or Mecca to host any games as only Muslims are allowed into the cities.

If Qatar wants to host, then do it with the UAE, and even then a lot of laws would have to be relaxed just to let in the average football supporter. A lot of investment would have to be put into fast transport between cities. Fleets of buses just won't cut it.
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #11
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
im surprised they haven't tried making a joint bid with the United Arab Emirates, especially with all the potential money involved.
I'm supprized the UAE havent bid by themselves as I'd say a WC would suit them pretty well given the way the countries divided, each Emirate would likey be able to come up with a 40K stadium while Dubai and Abu Dhabi build a couple of monsters.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #12
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Am I correct in believing that Qatar's second biggest city is Al Wakrah with a population of 31k? If so, how on Earth can they even begin to believe they could host a world cup across multiple cities with venues of over 40k?
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #13
RobH

Likes (Received): 10343

I think this is a brilliant PR move personally. They probably know in their heart of hearts they won't win but this could be a few million very well spent if it means Qatar gets coverage in the media of all of the bidding nations (including a lot of Europe, Australia, possibly China and the US). I think they know what they're doing.

Last edited by RobH; January 29th, 2009 at 10:22 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #14
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

absolutely agree, look at us all going on about it. I think they know exactly what they are doing, the publicity they will/are getting from this is priceless.
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #15
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I think this is a brilliant PR move personally. They probably know in their heart of hearts they won't win but this could be a few million very well spent if it means Qatar gets coverage in the media of all of the bidding nations (including a lot of Europe, Australia, possibly China and the US). I think they know what they're doing.
That just has to be it, me declining to comment on this obvious anachronism to begin with, i'l also add that a serious bid could only be accomplished jointly with the other emirates, and possibly Oman, for that matter. Altough I think there are many nations with a long history of football practicing which could be more competitive. My knowledge about football in the Middle East is scarce though, and there are obviously many factors in the region that are positives for such a bid.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #16
love-qatar

if Doha will host WC so it will be in 4 cities in Qatar
1. Doha
2. Al-Wakra 20K away from Doha (there is already stadum there but they will expand it).
3. Al-Khoor 50K away from Doha (there is already stadum there but they will expand it).
4. Lusail city where they can build new stadium.
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #17
PaulFCB
BANNED

You can't host a WC in a single city or 4 stadiums in one man. It's maximum 2 stadiums/city and you can host a FIFA Confederations Cup or FIFA Club World Cup with that maximum.
PaulFCB no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2009, 02:59 PM   #18
love-qatar

any way they know what they are doing we will wait and see where it will go
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:22 PM   #19
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by love-qatar View Post
any way they know what they are doing we will wait and see where it will go
Obviously they have no clue to what they're doing, Qatar is not at all able to host a WC on its own. Where will Qatar build 10 stadiums with a minimum capacity of 40k? Do you know that only one city is allowed to have 2 stadiums in a WC bid, and that this means that a Qatar bid would have to include at least 9 cities?

It's a good PR thing I guess, bidding for the WC.
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2009, 03:14 AM   #20
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
Obviously they have no clue to what they're doing, Qatar is not at all able to host a WC on its own. Where will Qatar build 10 stadiums with a minimum capacity of 40k? Do you know that only one city is allowed to have 2 stadiums in a WC bid, and that this means that a Qatar bid would have to include at least 9 cities?

It's a good PR thing I guess, bidding for the WC.
In fairness I think the other lads earlier in the thread have hit the nail on the head. The people who run Qatar, and who run football in Qatar, aren't idiots - they know their stuff... They would have to know that the chances of hosting a finals are wafer thin, but for the sake of a few million, perhaps not even that much - so far it's been ONE PRESS RELEASE, they can get everyone talking.

Alternatively, I suggested some time back that the UAE - as intent as they are on promoting their part of the world as a tourist paradise - might spend a small fortune building a 'soccer city' so impressive (read - massive bribes to Blatter and Co.) that FIFA would be overwhelmed and change host rules to say that, like the Olympics, the World Cup could be hosted, just this once, in a single city.

Substitute Qatar for the UAE in that scenario and you have a long shot, but plausible bet as FIFA is so corrupt that you can't rule anything out.
Benjuk no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
qatar 2022