daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:15 AM   #201
plasticterminator
Registered User
 
plasticterminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 467
Likes (Received): 16

oop- just got to the 5th stadium on the video it seems they have exchanged the windbreaker design in favour of a sony 420,000 square foot flatscreen, dont think that would fit in my living room.
plasticterminator no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:31 AM   #202
Chimbanha
Registered User
 
Chimbanha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brasília
Posts: 1,667
Likes (Received): 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Have you ever seen a WC from your own eyes (I mean in the host country).... ??
Why is it relevant to the discussion? I mean, if you're that curious about my life you can just PM me or stalk me on facebook
Chimbanha no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:48 AM   #203
SoroushPersepolisi
Moderator
 
SoroushPersepolisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tehran
Posts: 14,998
Likes (Received): 5087

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergnorth1989 View Post
Mr love-Qatar, we both know Qatar won't host any world cup alone. It's a big joke- only 3 stadiums have up to 20,000 seats.. so they would have to build another new 6-7 new serious stadiums, i'm not sure it will go, and if it can work -i'm sure it's a bit funny to have 8 stadiums in one city. it must beat the giant record of London :p

Another point.. world cup hosting means a serious logistic system. I can't see Qatar, too small area, hosts milions of football fans and the few thousands of communication and trading workers. When it's being hosted in a gigantic area like Germany or France, the tour is being prepared in a big cover of 7-8 cities. If you host em all in Doha.. people will have to wait 10 hours for buying chips meal in Mcdonald's (not serious.. just take it as an example).

Think about that..

In my opinion, the best solution is fully middle east hosting. 2 stadiums in Doha, 2 in UAE, 2 in Egypt, 2 in Israel and 2 in Jorden. that sounds too much better.
despite the political tensions, i would belive the best two countries in the middle east to host the world cup are Iran and turkey. they are both large with more than 5 major 2mllion+ cities. Iran lacks political advantages and internal stability, but if those were fixed , with some infastructure reforms we can host a world cup. it woulld be better than israel and jordan etc.
SoroushPersepolisi no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:52 AM   #204
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
nomarandlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 1060 W. Addison, City by the Lake
Posts: 7,209
Likes (Received): 2762

Gotta agree on all accountst there. Morocco and Egypt wouldn't be far behind those two.
__________________
Stephane Charbonnier, “I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.”
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:01 AM   #205
SoroushPersepolisi
Moderator
 
SoroushPersepolisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tehran
Posts: 14,998
Likes (Received): 5087

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phevos View Post
!!!!!!!!! ????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!

A league of +35 yrs players who want to earn as much as they can before they retire isn't the best at all...
Having money doesn't mean you are number one or two...
LOL you leagues are like 8 teams, u do not have the best football in the middle east. you have the best and most MONEY AND FACILITIES but not football. Turkey and Iran have the best football (although iran has okay facilities). Iran has a full 18 league premier league and hundreds of other smaller local, national, provincial and ..... leagues. we have a population of 75million. qatar is improving and have wonderfull facilities, but not the best football. your stadiums never get full even and they ar like 10k capacity. on the other hand in iran stadiums and streets get packed and so many fans etc but we have bad facilities unfortunentaly. lol, its backwords facility wise
SoroushPersepolisi no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:19 PM   #206
SpicyMcHaggis
Registered User
 
SpicyMcHaggis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,953
Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoroushPersepolisi View Post
LOL you leagues are like 8 teams, u do not have the best football in the middle east. you have the best and most MONEY AND FACILITIES but not football. Turkey and Iran have the best football (although iran has okay facilities). Iran has a full 18 league premier league and hundreds of other smaller local, national, provincial and ..... leagues. we have a population of 75million. qatar is improving and have wonderfull facilities, but not the best football. your stadiums never get full even and they ar like 10k capacity. on the other hand in iran stadiums and streets get packed and so many fans etc but we have bad facilities unfortunentaly. lol, its backwords facility wise
Turkey could pull it out but they are member of UEFA so they'd be bidding for World Cup as Euro nation and i'm afraid that they don't have many chances in near future with England, Spain, Italy and other big countries wanting to host it.
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:24 PM   #207
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas
 
parcdesprinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auteuil, Paris XVI | Quercy | Monaco, MC
Posts: 16,713
Likes (Received): 9711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbanha View Post
Why is it relevant to the discussion?
Because a world cup is also about the atmosphere in the host cities, in the streets, in the bars, in the Fanzones etc

And you have to see it live in order to understand that. France '98 end Germany '06 was really great for that (I don't know about '94 & '02) !
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:31 PM   #208
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Because a world cup is also about the atmosphere in the host cities, in the streets, in the bars, in the Fanzones etc

And you have to see it live in order to understand that. France '98 end Germany '06 was really great for that (I don't know about '94 & '02) !
For the people that prefer to drink alcoholic drinks such as beer, there will be fanzones for them and the bars in hotels are open, but i dont think it will be allowed in the streets.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:44 PM   #209
amrja
Registered User
 
amrja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 373
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Selling out your principles just so you get a games is petty. I will not judge if I think the boycott is ridiculous or not but my goodness if you are going to accept them do it because you want to and think its time to end the hate and if not then don't accept the team until you think there is justice. To do it for expediency of being awarded a sports games? Can't say I respect that.

Sounds terribly inefficient and wasteful. Are there examples of this done anywhere in the world and what the cost differences are between this method and what it would cost to put on a proper retractable or permanent roof?
Umm... what? What principles are they "selling out"? They woudn't be the first Israelis to visit Qatar, just 3 years ago current Israeli President Shimon Peres was in Doha to attend a debate with students. Israeli tennis players have been allowed to enter Qatar to take part in the Doha Open.

If you're going to talk crap, at least have the decency to run a google search to check its correct first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Sounds terribly inefficient and wasteful. Are there examples of this done anywhere in the world and what the cost differences are between this method and what it would cost to put on a proper retractable or permanent roof?
The technology is being developed specifically for the World Cup should it be held in Qatar. And how much it costs is Qatar's problem, not anyone else's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticterminator View Post
Why has the 3rd stadium got a beach winbreaker wrapped around it?
Because its temporary, the upper tiers will be disassembled after the WC and put together again in another country at the cost of Qatar
amrja no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:44 PM   #210
matts67
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 239
Likes (Received): 3

Sorry, I did not read all the discussion, but I'm just wondering how the construction of 10 stadiums of 40000+ stadiums in Qatar would be possible? Are we talking about temporary stadiums, or stadiums that would have their capacity reduced after the world cup?
I honestly think the only chance for Qatar to host a football WC one day is to go for a joint bid with UAE...even if Blatter said he thinks Qatar could win a bid (that's total hypocrisy...)
matts67 no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:47 PM   #211
amrja
Registered User
 
amrja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 373
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts67 View Post
Sorry, I did not read all the discussion, but I'm just wondering how the construction of 10 stadiums of 40000+ stadiums in Qatar would be possible? Are we talking about temporary stadiums, or stadiums that would have their capacity reduced after the world cup?
I honestly think the only chance for Qatar to host a football WC one day is to go for a joint bid with UAE...even if Blatter said he thinks Qatar could win a bid (that's total hypocrisy...)
From the article on the previous page:
Quote:
The upper tier of each of the five stadiums will be removed after the tournament. They will then be donated to developing countries that lack sports infrastructure.
amrja no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:01 AM   #212
SoroushPersepolisi
Moderator
 
SoroushPersepolisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tehran
Posts: 14,998
Likes (Received): 5087

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
Turkey could pull it out but they are member of UEFA so they'd be bidding for World Cup as Euro nation and i'm afraid that they don't have many chances in near future with England, Spain, Italy and other big countries wanting to host it.

yes, turkey is in UEFA but geographically they are middle east. and yes i dont think turkiye stands a chanceagaints spain, potugal england etc, let alone Qatar!
SoroushPersepolisi no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:18 AM   #213
Walbanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,241
Likes (Received): 1111

Quote:
despite the political tensions, i would belive the best two countries in the middle east to host the world cup are Iran and turkey
That would be fantastic. Turkey could easily host now, It would be awesome to see Iran host in the future.
Depending on how much FIFA really care about joint bids a Gulf Bid would be great. Qatar, Bahrain, UAE, may be Oman. Down the track Iraq may be stable enough. Unlike Japan and Korea the Gulf states share a language and general culture.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:50 AM   #214
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
nomarandlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 1060 W. Addison, City by the Lake
Posts: 7,209
Likes (Received): 2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrja View Post
Umm... what? What principles are they "selling out"? They wouldn't be the first Israelis to visit Qatar, just 3 years ago current Israeli President Shimon Peres was in Doha to attend a debate with students. Israeli tennis players have been allowed to enter Qatar to take part in the Doha Open.
The fact is that otherwise Israeli teams are most often not allowed to come to Qatar because the nation doesn't even acknowledge its existence. You don't find it a bit hypocritical and disingenuous to invite a nation in order to serve your own ambitious purposes and then go back to not acknowledging the existence of their nation in the field of sport? Either do or don't but don't act like you are doing anyone any favors or acting gracious by dropping the exclusion for a month.

Quote:
The technology is being developed specifically for the World Cup should it be held in Qatar. And how much it costs is Qatar's problem, not anyone else's.
It is a concern for commentators (commentators often given opinions even in matters that don't directly concern them as par for the course) to make note of a project if it largely marketed as "green" if it needlessly and wastefully consumes prodigious amounts of energy.
__________________
Stephane Charbonnier, “I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.”
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:22 PM   #215
fizicki neradnik
Easily fooled
 
fizicki neradnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 86
Likes (Received): 0

This will never happen. The main reason is: there is no drinking beer in the streets: rofl: No, seriously you need to learn that not everything can be bought with money. Save it, you wont have oil forever.
fizicki neradnik no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:59 PM   #216
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
The fact is that otherwise Israeli teams are most often not allowed to come to Qatar because the nation doesn't even acknowledge its existence. You don't find it a bit hypocritical and disingenuous to invite a nation in order to serve your own ambitious purposes and then go back to not acknowledging the existence of their nation in the field of sport? Either do or don't but don't act like you are doing anyone any favors or acting gracious by dropping the exclusion for a month.



It is a concern for commentators (commentators often given opinions even in matters that don't directly concern them as par for the course) to make note of a project if it largely marketed as "green" if it needlessly and wastefully consumes prodigious amounts of energy.
Just for your information Qatar does recognize Israel as a state (along with Palestine) we have an Israeli trade office here in Doha, check out the videos on YouTube of Israeli-Qatar relations, end this political argument which i fear will end this thread for good.

It is green because the stadiums provide solar energy when not in use to the national power grid system and when in use it takes energy from the system, then you get the 0% carbon emission (carbon-neutral)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizicki neradnik View Post
This will never happen. The main reason is: there is no drinking beer in the streets: rofl: No, seriously you need to learn that not everything can be bought with money. Save it, you wont have oil forever.
This is the the stereotypical posts that i hate, Qatar depends on Gas way more than Oil, and our Gas fields will survive for 200 years in the future so thats long enough to by then have alternative energy sources which is being conducted and tested already, parts of our cities are going to be powered by solar power plants.

There will be beer/alcohol in fan zones that are close to accommodation areas and Stadiums.

Away with your stereotypic posts and hatred.

Last edited by Qatar Son 333; May 3rd, 2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: typo
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:09 PM   #217
qatarson
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 471
Likes (Received): 0

َDo you know what Qatar mean ? I dont think so

Q =----> Quest
a =----> any
t =----> target
a =----> achieves
r =----> required
qatarson no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:12 PM   #218
fizicki neradnik
Easily fooled
 
fizicki neradnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 86
Likes (Received): 0

when i wrote oil, i meant also gas, just forgot to mention it. Maybe people here are a little harsh but that is because we see all sort of ridiculous projects being announced in the middle east just because governments there are acting like drunken (no offense) billionaires. Bringing World Cup in a country with 1.4 million? people is a such project. What other country in the world of similar size is even considering such a thing?
fizicki neradnik no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:39 PM   #219
qatarson
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 471
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizicki neradnik View Post
when i wrote oil, i meant also gas, just forgot to mention it. Maybe people here are a little harsh but that is because we see all sort of ridiculous projects being announced in the middle east just because governments there are acting like drunken (no offense) billionaires. Bringing World Cup in a country with 1.4 million? people is a such project. What other country in the world of similar size is even considering such a thing?
guys this subject talking about Qatar bidding not the politics view of middle east before few years ago most people even not hear about the name ( Qatar ) todays and withing few years the new goverment came and invested in Qatari human , health , education , science , media , sport , technology and they have beautiful ambition for their small nation if you shocked of their ambition in sport what you will do if you saw what they doing in the other fields !!!
qatarson no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:06 PM   #220
amrja
Registered User
 
amrja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 373
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
The fact is that otherwise Israeli teams are most often not allowed to come to Qatar because the nation doesn't even acknowledge its existence. You don't find it a bit hypocritical and disingenuous to invite a nation in order to serve your own ambitious purposes and then go back to not acknowledging the existence of their nation in the field of sport? Either do or don't but don't act like you are doing anyone any favors or acting gracious by dropping the exclusion for a month.

It is a concern for commentators (commentators often given opinions even in matters that don't directly concern them as par for the course) to make note of a project if it largely marketed as "green" if it needlessly and wastefully consumes prodigious amounts of energy.
What part of my post did you fail to read? They aren't dropping the exclusion for a month, its been standard policy and has been for years. Qatar has never been as harsh as its neighbours with restrictions on Israelis, and this is not limited to just sports.

As for your second comment, the stadiums will have solar panels on them which will act to power the air conditioning systems inside the stadium during games, and transfer the energy to the national grid when the stadium is not in use. Not to mention the modular tiers on quite a few of the stadiums to be donated to poorer countries.

That seems pretty green to me, no?
amrja no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
qatar 2022

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu