daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 21st, 2010, 09:48 PM   #2601
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

The FIFA Cluster in the West Bay area.

The FIFA Headquarters (Doha Convention Center & Tower) Office space is 23,000msq by far exceeding the FIFA requirement of 8,000 msq

FIFA VIP Hotel & FIFA Delegation Hotel (400m away from FIFA Headquarters). They include Four Seasons Hotel (232 Rooms), Sheraton Doha Resort & Convention Hotel (371 Rooms), Doha Convention Center Hotel (360 Rooms).

Four Seasons Hotel (Existing)

Sheraton Hotel (Existing)

Doha Convention Center Hotel (U/C)

The Hotels are located within the FIFA cluster, have excellent transport links with the airport, and all of the stadiums (except Al-Shamal stadium) are within 30-minutes' drive.

Competition-related events venue would be the Doha Convention Center, (U/C, to be done by 2017) will have 100,000msq of space, 34,000msq main hall. plenty of space to accommodate draw halls, the media centre, the TV compound, the meeting rooms, and the office space would be equipped with state-of-the-art technical infrastructure.

HOWEVER, Qatar 2022 Bid also proposes 2 other venues for the Competition-related events: The Qatar National Convention Centre in Education City and Doha Exhibition Centre.

Qatar National Convention Centre (U/C, Opening 2011)

Doha Exhibition Centre (Existing)

All Stadiums would be aligned with the country's five expressways and each is within a short walk of metro stops, on shaded and cooled pathways, with the exception of Al-Wakrah, where shuttle buses would be used to and from the metro stop.

Last edited by Qatar Son 333; November 21st, 2010 at 10:13 PM.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2010, 09:59 PM   #2602
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
Isn't it funny how real men play the "other" football codes rather than Association Football.
As I said next account troll
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 10:30 PM   #2603
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
Naaaaah, Just kidding... This is clearly just a publicity stunt, just like having a breakfast on turf (while on a bridge). Oh wait...
Breakfast on the bridge was actually associated with football and had football related activities, what does the world's largest T-shirt have to do with anything? What an embarrassing joke.

Last edited by MysteryMike; November 21st, 2010 at 11:07 PM.
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 10:45 PM   #2604
T74

Likes (Received): 1

lighten up Mike, even 333 is having a laugh about it

we are in a world of hot dog eating comps, worlds largest pizzas, and comic book conventions - not everything has to be serious

333, on the bridge thing, you need to understand what the bridge means to Sydney (and this is coming from a Melbournian). The Harbour Bridge is an icon of Sydney, and by far the single most powerful symbol of the city. Rarely does the bridge ever get shut to cars. A few years ago they started the picnic on the bridge thing, and it has been a huge success. This year they used it to help promote the bid for obvious reasons.
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:47 AM   #2605
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Quote:
The FIFA Cluster in the West Bay area.
Nice of you guys to build a design by an Australian architecture firm.

This is the original proposal from almost 10 years ago. It was tall but would have ruined the skyline and was terrible from a planning perspective.
[img]http://i2.************/s63hc1.jpg[/img]

Of course, Australia keeps the best stuff for domestic consumption and exports the rest.
invincible no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 06:47 AM   #2606
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Yes Grollo wanted to build it but their were concerns about it being like a big sundial
It just was gonna dominate too much.We're more sophisticated than that
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 08:22 AM   #2607
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
Yes Grollo wanted to build it but their were concerns about it being like a big sundial
Its also extremely boring architecturally, along with it being over a decade old in its design. It has no redeeming features, other than its height.

We must give credit to Qatar for fighting this hard for so long, throwing so much cash at its bid, trying to make up for its glaring deficiencies.
If this was a spin competition, give the award to Qatar now

They actually have some great stadium designs though, which hide the fact that fans will collapse of heat exhaustion on the way to the stadium. There is also limited contingency plan if the airport is closed for any reason, limited attractions for tourists to fill in the time, along with a need to build hundreds of thousands of rooms which will sit idle for years afterwards. As for the Carbon neutral tag, its impossible with the amount of air conditioning and other services needed to host all those people in that heat.

One glaring thing that has not been mentioned by many is that Qatar have stated that they will sepend $3 billion on the event, which has already been jumped on by the world media, suggesting it be more than 10 times that. Grossly misleading figures in a bid? Not a good look.

Im all for an Arab WC, as I would love to go to it. I just do not think this was the bid to bring to the table.

If Qatar wins this bid, FIFA will be a new definition of a joke around the world, as it will just solidify so many things that people already thought about the organisation, and they are not good things
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 08:27 AM   #2608
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
As I said next account troll
Where the hell does that come from?
You're totally ignorant of the nature that remark was made in. It was in good fun but not without an element of truth. Me saying than Soccer isn't manly (with my tounge planted firmly in my cheek) in no way mean's I don't enjoy it, yet still it is hard to argue that has as many of the traits of what is considered archtype manly qualities as the other football codes.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 08:29 AM   #2609
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
I was just thinking it looked like the Grollo. Aussie firms alive and well in the Gulf.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:57 PM   #2610
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
Breakfast on the bridge was actually associated with football and had football related activities, what does the world's largest T-shirt have to do with anything? What an embarrassing joke.
Its called publicity (The entire bid is related to it apparently) , It might not be related to football, but it is related to the "bid". There is nothing wrong with it really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
lighten up Mike, even 333 is having a laugh about it

we are in a world of hot dog eating comps, worlds largest pizzas, and comic book conventions - not everything has to be serious

333, on the bridge thing, you need to understand what the bridge means to Sydney (and this is coming from a Melbournian). The Harbour Bridge is an icon of Sydney, and by far the single most powerful symbol of the city. Rarely does the bridge ever get shut to cars. A few years ago they started the picnic on the bridge thing, and it has been a huge success. This year they used it to help promote the bid for obvious reasons.
I do know the importance of the bridge (never joked about it or anything), In fact I still remember the fireworks from Sydney 2000 Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
I was just thinking it looked like the Grollo. Aussie firms alive and well in the Gulf.
That design was also used initially as a proposed render for Burj Dubai (Khalifa). Must admit it is popular for some reason =)
Old November 22nd, 2010, 02:12 PM   #2611
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
Its also extremely boring architecturally, along with it being over a decade old in its design. It has no redeeming features, other than its height.

We must give credit to Qatar for fighting this hard for so long, throwing so much cash at its bid, trying to make up for its glaring deficiencies.
If this was a spin competition, give the award to Qatar now

They actually have some great stadium designs though, which hide the fact that fans will collapse of heat exhaustion on the way to the stadium. There is also limited contingency plan if the airport is closed for any reason, limited attractions for tourists to fill in the time, along with a need to build hundreds of thousands of rooms which will sit idle for years afterwards. As for the Carbon neutral tag, its impossible with the amount of air conditioning and other services needed to host all those people in that heat.

One glaring thing that has not been mentioned by many is that Qatar have stated that they will sepend $3 billion on the event, which has already been jumped on by the world media, suggesting it be more than 10 times that. Grossly misleading figures in a bid? Not a good look.

Im all for an Arab WC, as I would love to go to it. I just do not think this was the bid to bring to the table.

If Qatar wins this bid, FIFA will be a new definition of a joke around the world, as it will just solidify so many things that people already thought about the organisation, and they are not good things
As a Qatari, I would like to see the world cup go to my country, but if it will not then I would like it to go to Australia. At the same time i want to see the worlds reaction to Qatar's hosting rights announcement.

About the spendings, What ever Qatar is spending (away from stadiums) is reality, since they will build everything (with the exception of stadiums) regardless of Qatar hosting the world cup. so we will still see the construction of Railways, Metro, city extensions, master-plans, and even 4 of the proposed stadiums.

When they meant Carbon Neutral World Cup they referred to Stadiums (mostly). on the other hand, the country is investing in Solar/Nuclear power sources. Places such as Education City (Which also has a proposed stadium) will be 100% powered by solar power in the future.

One thing the you mentioned with regards to exhaustion (which is a realistic issue). The bid did come up with some sort of solution, "each stadium is within a short walk of metro stops, on shaded and cooled pathways, with the exception of Al-Wakrah, where shuttle buses would be used to and from the metro stop."

Besides, the accomodation is going to be built anyways with/without the world cup, except that with the world cup they will be guaranteed to be fully occupied in Summer 2022, other than that, the country is hosting sport events, and MICE events all the time.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:16 PM   #2612
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

I must say that, if it doesn't go Australia's way, I would love to see the WC in the Arab world, in place of another USA event. The only issue is that Qatar is just too small to handle the event on it's own. The determination is there to host it, but it's just too big for a country of that size.

Qatar suffers from the same issues as many southern hemisphere countries, below the tropic of capricon typically, which mean that the timing of the WC is not the preferred time to host an event. The extremes in temps (Qatar being hot, Australia being in Winter), along with the issues that go with that, are not ideal. The WC us more suited to Europe, northern Asia and north America. It's unfortunate but true, however we can only do what we can to counter that.

In that regard, the USA is likely to win, as it is the strongest overall bid. The fact it has already hosted the event and will likely have limited effect in making football more popular in that market will likely be ignored for perceived financial gain.

I do give your country a lot if credit though for it's huge efforts to get to this point, especially you 2 guys on here who have fought your case strongly.

Best of luck to all bidding nations.

Last edited by Melb_aviator; November 22nd, 2010 at 04:26 PM.
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 05:19 PM   #2613
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Its a shame there is a big chance that these beautiful stadiums may not be built, and 22 stadiums may not be built in poor countries that need this infrastructure.

only 4 stadiums would be built in case Qatar does not host the 2022 WC. These stadiums are Sport City, Al-Wakrah, Al-Khor & Education City. (All built in Legacy mode, except Sport city which will retain full capacity)
Old November 22nd, 2010, 06:26 PM   #2614
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Brazil Vs Argentina (In Qatar) Images taken by Qatar 2022 Bid photographers.

Fans write messages of support for Qatar's bid at the Fan Zone outside of Khalifa Stadium

Brazil supporters at the Fan Zone.

Fans wave the flags of Qatar, Argentina and Brazil while celebrating in the Fan Zone.

Brazil and Argentina played before a sellout crowd of more than 50,000 fans.

The Mexican Wave.

Fans of Argentina celebrate in the wake of Lionel Messi's game-winning goal.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:03 AM   #2615
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

I'm sorry to say this but Qatar souldn't host the world cup. I'm all for having a World Cup in the middle east but not just in Qatar it's just not big enough. I mean would you think if Panama wanted to host the world cup every one would say the same thing it's to small. Now the countries in the middle east that can host the World Cup would be Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and may be the UAE. Now I think the 2022 Worl Cup is problably gonna go to Australia only because they never hosted the World Cup before as for the U.S. i hope we get it. But the fact is that we host recently hosted the World Cup and also the hole political situation is going against us.
sweet-d no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:54 AM   #2616
Shambolic
BANNED

I think it's shameful that 2 foreign teams can sell out a 50,000 seat stadium but Qatar's own national team is flat out getting a handful to their matches.
Shambolic no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:32 AM   #2617
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambolic View Post
I think it's shameful that 2 foreign teams can sell out a 50,000 seat stadium but Qatar's own national team is flat out getting a handful to their matches.
Awwwwwwwwwwwww.
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:41 AM   #2618
Shambolic
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
Awwwwwwwwwwwww.
Glad to see you agree.
Shambolic no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:36 PM   #2619
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Last time I checked this thread is about the Qatar FIFA 2022 Bid... Not Qatar's football team.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:41 PM   #2620
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Last time I checked this thread is about the Qatar FIFA 2022 Bid... Not Qatar's football team.
don't worry, the Australian thread became about how awesome Uraguay is
T74 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
qatar 2022