daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:48 PM   #2621
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

waqif seems to think the whole forum is about Kewell's red card and trying to make it seem that Australia should feel bad about the WC when Qatar didn't get close.
Will737 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:09 PM   #2622
Shambolic
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
Last time I checked this thread is about the Qatar FIFA 2022 Bid... Not Qatar's football team.
Last time I checked this thread is about the Qatar FIFA 2022 Bid... Not a Brazil vs Argentina match.
Shambolic no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:12 PM   #2623
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambolic View Post
Last time I checked this thread is about the Qatar FIFA 2022 Bid... Not a Brazil vs Argentina match.
A Brazil vs Argentina match that reflects mini world cup conditions in a world cup sized stadium (50K). Not to mention the primary sponsor for this match was the Qatar 2022 Bid.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:19 PM   #2624
Shambolic
BANNED

Quote:
A Brazil vs Argentina match that reflects mini world cup conditions in a world cup sized stadium (50K). Not to mention the primary sponsor for this match was the Qatar 2022 Bid.
So you don't think the national team of Qatar not drawing crowds of any note is relevant to the WC bid? Come on man, seriously!
Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:46 PM   #2625
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
nobody doubts Doha can host a WC standard football match?

What is fantasy is thinking a city smaller than London or Sydney or Cape Town can simultaneously support 10 venues in the same city for 30 days.

Huge difference.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 03:25 PM   #2626
RobH

Likes (Received): 10339

Quote:
Last time I checked this thread is about the Qatar FIFA 2022 Bid... Not Qatar's football team.
I respect your posts on this forum, but the two are inextricably related. Domestic support and a national team which can hold its own are two of the most important ingredients in a world cup. We saw terrible domestic support last week in Qatar and the team has never qualified for a world cup; would it hold its own or would the hosts be humiliated on the pitch?

We saw in South Africa how important a fired up national team was to the early stages of the tournament.

The point being, Qataris seem to be attracted to well-marketed PR "events" more than they are to supporting their own team, or at least that's how it comes across.

An England friendly last week saw 85,000 fans, a Spain-Portugal friendly saw nearly 30,000 (poor given it was a 65,000 stadium but still a large number), Qatar's friendly on the other hand saw an empty stadium. It is just bizarre.

It doesn't look good, whatever way you look at it.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 03:53 PM   #2627
Mo Rush

South Africa vs.USA was sold out last week.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:05 PM   #2628
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I respect your posts on this forum, but the two are inextricably related. Domestic support and a national team which can hold its own are two of the most important ingredients in a world cup. We saw terrible domestic support last week in Qatar and the team has never qualified for a world cup; would it hold its own or would the hosts be humiliated on the pitch?

We saw in South Africa how important a fired up national team was to the early stages of the tournament.

The point being, Qataris seem to be attracted to well-marketed PR "events" more than they are to supporting their own team, or at least that's how it comes across.

An England friendly last week saw 85,000 fans, a Spain-Portugal friendly saw nearly 30,000 (poor given it was a 65,000 stadium but still a large number), Qatar's friendly on the other hand saw an empty stadium. It is just bizarre.

It doesn't look good, whatever way you look at it.
I agree with you, but look at the reasons:

Hardly any Qatari players, playing a friendly against an unpopular team, the day after the Brazilian-Argentinian friendly. Now here is the question, WHY would someone go to this match, to be honest I did not even know the match was running until going across one of the local sport channels. And I passed near the stadium just before that and did not notice it then either.

On the other hand, when we play in events that are hosted here, there is strong support, we saw that in The Arabian Gulf Cup of Nations 2004 & Asian Games 2006.

on the other hand, I dont see a problem with doing bad at an event, sure every nation want to win, but some (most?) will really struggle to. Look at Yemen as a small example, yesterday they were beaten 4-0 against Saudi Arabia on home soil at the opening match of the 20th Arabian Gulf Cup of Nations.

I didn't undermine, in any way other countries (in reference to the figures you posted). However, the ability to have international friendlies that don't involve the national team, and still be able to have 50K (full capacity) attendance in a country regarded as "underpopulated" for a world cup, is a success on its own. and that has been proven twice. Love of International Football.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:05 PM   #2629
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
South Africa vs.USA was sold out last week.
For a nation that just came out of the world cup, thats expected. If that didnt happen it would have been lame.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:30 PM   #2630
Mo Rush

lame? its not the first match for South Africa after the WC. Are you suggesting Qatar will have "sold out" matches after it hosts its fantasy WC?
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:53 PM   #2631
gezza

I was at Greenpoint for the SA v USA match. For me, a proud, sport loving Australian, I was completely blown away by the atmosphere and sheer passion for football I experienced that night. The game was a complete sell out and I am sure future Bafana fixtures in CT (and the rest of SA) will continue to sell out. This was the purest example of legacy one could ever hope for. Not only legacy for football here but also a legacy of the uniting powers of football. Could we expect the same from a Doha world cup? I have very strong doubts. Give the world cup to a country that deserves it and will ensure it's legacy will continue on for many years there after.
gezza no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:56 PM   #2632
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
lame? its not the first match for South Africa after the WC. Are you suggesting Qatar will have "sold out" matches after it hosts its fantasy WC?
You have COMPLETELY miss understood me, please re-read my post carefully.

I said it wouldnt have been a nice image anyways if a country that just had their FIFA WC, have low attendances for international matches.

And where did I mention/claim that its the first match ?

I wonder why you suddenly jumped in a defensive position.

And yes, post world cup there should be a surge in attendance (for some time).
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:46 PM   #2633
AndreasBerlin

What I want to know is if Qatar only has 16,500 registered players, where are they going to get a competitive team from by the time 2022 comes around? It could be an embarassing world cup.
AndreasBerlin no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:18 PM   #2634
Shambolic
BANNED

Quote:

Hardly any Qatari players, playing a friendly against an unpopular team, the day after the Brazilian-Argentinian friendly. Now here is the question, WHY would someone go to this match, to be honest I did not even know the match was running until going across one of the local sport channels. And I passed near the stadium just before that and did not notice it then either.

On the other hand, when we play in events that are hosted here, there is strong support, we saw that in The Arabian Gulf Cup of Nations 2004 & Asian Games 2006.

on the other hand, I dont see a problem with doing bad at an event, sure every nation want to win, but some (most?) will really struggle to. Look at Yemen as a small example, yesterday they were beaten 4-0 against Saudi Arabia on home soil at the opening match of the 20th Arabian Gulf Cup of Nations.

I didn't undermine, in any way other countries (in reference to the figures you posted). However, the ability to have international friendlies that don't involve the national team, and still be able to have 50K (full capacity) attendance in a country regarded as "underpopulated" for a world cup, is a success on its own. and that has been proven twice. Love of International Football.
The Haiti match isn't an isolated event. I witnessed some poor crowds in Qatar's World Cup qualifying matches as well.
Old November 24th, 2010, 07:31 AM   #2635
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

Hmmm.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #2636
gezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasBerlin View Post
What I want to know is if Qatar only has 16,500 registered players, where are they going to get a competitive team from by the time 2022 comes around? It could be an embarassing world cup.
They will buy them. Expect a huge influx of fringe South Americans playing for absurd cash in the Doha League in the years prior to 22.
gezza no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #2637
TheDood

Qatar Bid 2022

We all know that hosting these types of mega events is accomplished through a combination of politics, diplomacy, and $cash$ (something Qatar have PLENTY of)! I think any of the bids could actually win at this point. We'll all find out very soon.

I honestly believe Qatar could easily host a WC, however, there are large cultural "gaps" between GCC nations and the rest of the world. I'm interested in hearing from the Qatar 2022 bid supporters on how they plan to address these gaps.

The only event that really compares with a World Cup is the Olympics. Both of these events normally draw close to 1 million tourists. The MAJORITY of these people will come from outside the gulf, from countries where free flowing alcohol and scantily clad brazilian girls/fans are expected, and have become world cup fixtures.

In a conservative (by rest of world standards) region such as the gulf, what are Qatar's plans to address this? How will the local population react to a curvy brazilian girl wearing tank top, thong, and high heels, samba dancing down the street with a hoard of beer swilling guys behind her?

For that matter, where will the average fan go for a beer or wine before/after the game?

I don't believe these issues can be ignored, if Qatar win the bid, they will be under enormous pressure from all sides to deliver a successful event.
TheDood no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #2638
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasBerlin View Post
Sorry to inform you it is 6,500
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #2639
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:

333-why O why wasn't there more than 7000 to the Qatar v Australia WCQ-an absolutely crucial match against the top ranked team in Asia.34,000 for the 4 matches in WCQ was a joke(and that included 10,000 from travelling teams)
You've been excusing the locals and their lack of support forever
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #2640
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
333-why O why wasn't there more than 7000 to the Qatar v Australia WCQ-an absolutely crucial match against the top ranked team in Asia.34,000 for the 4 matches in WCQ was a joke(and that included 10,000 from travelling teams)
You've been excusing the locals and their lack of support forever
May i remind you the local population is only 1.7 Million (300K Nationals)

Qatar STILL didnt make it into the event, if it did then such matches will have supporters, but if it didnt then no.

I am not excusing, i am enforcing the reality of how this country operates in terms of football attendance. (Elitism...)

Last edited by Qatar Son 333; November 24th, 2010 at 03:08 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
qatar 2022