daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 12th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #321
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9711

I believe religion(s) won't be an issue (including alcohol, especially if many fanzones, where the supporters can drink, are created)....

But, imho, the main issue remains the tiny size of Quatar/Doha.. How on earth, a 1,6 million people country (even if it was a 2-2,5 million one) could host/absorb more than 1 million visitors/supporters in the same time, and during 1 month...

Where they are going to sleep (what is the hotels capacity of Quatar ??), where they are going to eat (are there enough restaurants etc..), how large the transportation capacities in Quatar are, how would be managed the security issues if the country doubles its population during one month .. etc ???

For example, it would be like Paris (10,5 million inhabitants) hosting 8 million visitors in the same time.. = IMPOSSIBLE !
Paris, as the most visited city on earth, hosts around 2,8 millions visitors per month, and could hardly host much more !

The same goes to France, 65 million inhabitants, first tourist destination in the world (around 7 million visitors/month), hosting 50 million visitors in one month !!!
Despite our great hotels/tourist capacities and our airports/transportations infrastructures amongst the best ones in the world, it would be impossible to manage !

Last edited by parcdesprinces; May 12th, 2010 at 09:10 PM.
parcdesprinces no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #322
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

All group matches can be played at venues, which're within short distances of each other, Qatar will be representing the wishes and hopes of the region. The Middle East also has the legitimate right to seek peace through football and an event like the world cup can replace the sorry story of conflicts.

A World Cup in the Mideast will create a bridge between the East and West, and have people converge in Qatar. It will also help create a better understanding of the region.

Qatar is financially strong, stable and backed by the government, this helps in making a confident bid, unlike many others, and build necessary infrastructure, especially cooling systems, for players as well as fans in time.

Qatar's 2022 World Cup bid has been further boosted by the support of the Arab Soccer Federation (ASF), which claimed that the country had the credentials to host the sport's showpiece event. A statement released by the ASF urged all football associations in the Arab world to stand by Qatar as it attempts to bring the World Cup to the Middle East for the first time in history.

Many of the facilities will then be utilised for the development of aspiring boys and girls. The use of modular and semi-modular stadiums will ensure that they do not exist as white elephants after the World Cup. Some of them can be dismantled and given to developing countries looking to renovate their sports infrastructure, this is one of the legacies left behind a World Cup in Qatar, helping realise the Fifa motto: For the Game. For the World.

To meet the international regulatory standards as part of its efforts to bring the 2020 Olympics and the 2022 World Cup to Qatar, The country has given shape to a multi-billion dollar programme to expand its transport infrastructure.
The latest projects include Doha's new airport, the formation of the long-awaited railway network and expansion of local bus services. DB International delivered an exclusive presentation of the planned railway network an its key elements, including the metro systems, long-distance passenger travel and freight transport. The rail network will be supported with an advanced public bus service, being developed by Mowasalat.
The proposed integrated railway will link Doha with Bahrain's capital Manama as well as the border of Saudi Arabia which will connect to the GCC network.

Qatar promises to create fantastic fan zones at the time of the World Cup, where people from all over the world can come ands enjoy football's showpiece event. The country is famous for its hospitality, and the visiting fans will get to know more about the Middle East and Arab culture. Qatar remains confident that, with the aid of technology, it can tide over the worries about hot weather during the time of the World Cup. The cooling technologies will be available in stadiums, training areas and fan zones, it will be done in an environmentally friendly and energy-efficient way.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #323
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

All in one city.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #324
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Doha is tipped as the region's sports capital and Qatar is, perhaps, the only Gulf nation capable of organising the biggest international events in any sports discipline, thanks to its state-of-the art facilities.

The country has been hosting major events over the past two decades, but the best in recent history was the flawless and stunning organisation of the 2006 Asian Games. The event enabled Qatar, despite its small size and limited population, to become the cynosure of all eyes in Asia and beyond. And next year Qatar will host the 2011 Asian Cup in addition to the 2011 Arab Games.

The World Cup in the Middle East for the first time is a very big statement FIFA can make. Qatar will be lighting the torch for the region. Bringing the World cup is a message to the rest of the world and a showcase for the Middle East. The bid is quite a unique and powerful concept.

It will be a historic decision to bring the World Cup to the Middle East. It is a strong selling point for Qatar. It would be a compact World Cup and people can experience each of the participating countries and their cultures. It is going to be unique for fans; it will be a family-oriented World cup.

Qatar Tourism Authority has revealed that 41 new hotels are opening in Qatar this year alone the new properties will bring 6,743 rooms this year.

More malls are being opened everywhere in Qatar and a high concentration is developing in Doha, other than that, Qatar id rebuilding its National Museum in a larger size and expanding its cultural markets in addition to the complete revival of the heritage quarters of Doha. This is all in addition to the current attractions such as the Museum of Islamic Art, Souq Waqif, Cultural Village etc.
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #325
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
All in one city.
NO ITS NOT SO CAN YOU STOP REPEATING THAT AND RUINING EVERY PAGE.
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #326
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9711

@Qatar Son 333: You still didn't answer most of my "questions/comparisons" in my last post !
(yeah, it's my turn to ask for some answers )
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #327
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
@Qatar Son 333: You still didn't answer most of my "questions/comparisons" in my last post !
(yeah, it's my turn to ask for some answers )
I though i did

Quote:
It would be a compact World Cup and people can experience each of the participating countries and their cultures. It is going to be unique for fans; it will be a family-oriented World cup.
And remember here in the GCC and the Arab world in general, when a country needs backing, a lot of countries will pitch up to help in any way possible.

The previous information i typed myself from personal research, and here is a link from a very genuine source FIFA

Qatar is bidding to host the FIFA World Cup™ in 2022. A World Cup in
Qatar would be the first global sporting event ever to be hosted in the
Middle East.

Qatar is truly in the Middle, not in the East or West, and within
reach for fans all around the globe. Indeed, only Qatar can guarantee
everybody fine broadcasting times on TV and the Internet.

By taking place in Qatar, the World Cup™ will for the first time come
to a region brimming with sporting potential and passion. More than 435
million Middle Easterners will be waiting for the Game in 2022.

The Qatar 2022 World Cup™ will be compact - to the benefit of the
fans, FIFA and the environment.

Qatar's compact games plan would save fans travel time and money as well
as reducing the impact on the environment. Renewable technologies and
architecturally advanced venues and facilities built to the highest
environmental standards would also ensure players and fans alike enjoy
each match in a cool environment.

Qatar is committed to using and developing eco-friendly technologies
for stadiums that can then be adopted in other countries. After the 2022
World Cup, part of each modular stadium will be reduced in size to be
used as permanent stadiums; the other part will be used as stand modules
to be re-erected in other Asian countries in collaboration with Reach
Out to Asia, helping the spirit of the tournament live on across the
continent.

And, naturally, fans from around the world would experience the magic of
traditional Arab hospitality and leave Qatar with a new understanding of
the Middle East.

The FIFA World Cup™ in the region would bring greater unity and
understanding between peoples from every continent, perfectly reflecting
the FIFA slogan "For the Game; for the World".
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #328
Kuwaiti

Likes (Received): 0

As much as I love Qatar and want the best for them, sometimes I think the best for them is not to host the world cup. It would ruin the country, in my opinion. They will grow far too quickly and between you and me I kind of like the present-day peacefulness about Qatar. Its not as condensed as Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Kuwait City or Riyadh. So I hope they dont turn bad because of this 2022 fiasco.

Having said that, a WC in the Gulf would be nice.

From a logistic point of view, theres only one way Qatar can pull this off...

1. A bridge between Bahrain and Qatar to serve for guests who will stay in Bahrain and commute between the 2 countries for WC matches.

2. A bridge between Abu Dhabi and Qatar to serve for guests who will stay in UAE and commute between the 2 countries for WC matches.

3. The basic building blocks and foundations for creating, within the time-frame of 10 years, 5 major cities in a country that isn't half the size of New Jersey. Sounds impossible, doesnt it? But we're talking Al-Khor, Al-Shamal, Al-Wakrah, Al-Doha and Al-Rayyan all being cities within their own limits. Hardly gonna happen, in my opinion. Probably the toughest task of all.

4. You will need to invest billions and billions on an infrastructure that would not only cater for MILLIONS of tourists but also the expanding local and expat population within the country. A DB light rail system aint gonna cut it, Im afraid.

5. The climate is impossible. People are gonna have strokes, pass out, etc.

========

Look, at first I was optimistic. But the more I think about it, the more I believe we're trying to achieve something that present-day technology will not assist us with.

By 2156, perhaps Qatar will be able to host a world cup and olympics at the same time. But now, its just a dream.

And besides, ask yourself... Do you want your country to be ruined or drained of its wealth for the sake of a world cup? Id put other things ahead in terms of priority. Yeah football is a beautiful game but not worth taking a country's economy down. Qatar will lose more than it will gain from this event. Not worth it...

Why didnt Qatar ask UAE to be co-hosts? Sometimes I think its an ego problem. I mean if UAE was in it, the prospect of hosting a WC would be a lot more realistic than this current concept. Imagine Rhode Island hosting all WC matches in 94.
Kuwaiti no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #329
Mo Rush

It is one city. Doha 1.2 million.

The rest of Qatar makes up 400,000. Why is this so hard to understand?

A FIFA World Cup requires a country not one city. Otherwise we could just host the whole show in Sydney or London, many times larger than Qatar.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #330
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuwaiti View Post
1. A bridge between Bahrain and Qatar to serve for guests who will stay in Bahrain and commute between the 2 countries for WC matches.

2. A bridge between Abu Dhabi and Qatar to serve for guests who will stay in UAE and commute between the 2 countries for WC matches.
A bridge between Bahrain and Qatar in U/C and a bridge between Qatar and UAE is planned, but we don't need to rely on them, New Doha International Airport will open next year.

Quote:
3. The basic building blocks and foundations for creating, within the time-frame of 10 years, 5 major cities in a country that isn't half the size of New Jersey. Sounds impossible, doesnt it? But we're talking Al-Khor, Al-Shamal, Al-Wakrah, Al-Doha and Al-Rayyan all being cities within their own limits. Hardly gonna happen, in my opinion. Probably the toughest task of all.
As i said before, its going to be a compact, Family-oriented event, that sounds peaceful enough. (refer to my previous post)

Quote:
4. You will need to invest billions and billions on an infrastructure that would not only cater for MILLIONS of tourists but also the expanding local and expat population within the country. A DB light rail system aint gonna cut it, Im afraid.
Well its the Rail system along with the Road network, bus transport etc
The Doha 2020 Olympic bid and Qatar 2022 World Cup bid is in complete alignment with the Qatar 2030 National Vision.

and besides, the country has so much cash in their pockets they cant keep their hands away from it, so they throw it everywhere, such things as buying Harrods, Launching a new Qatari satellite named "Eshail", these are news from this week alone.
Quote:
5. The climate is impossible. People are gonna have strokes, pass out, etc.
Again, read past posts, A new environmentally friendly and energy-efficient cooling systems will be implemented in all stadiums, training areas and fan zones. the technology is set to cool the hot desert temperature of 40 Celsius to around 27 Celsius which is convenient for the players and fans.
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #331
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
[B]All group matches can be played at venues, which're within short distances of each other, Qatar will be representing the wishes and hopes of the region. The Middle East also has the legitimate right to seek peace through football and an event like the world cup can replace the sorry story of conflicts.
Sorry, I keep hearing this and it sounds awfully presumptuous. What makes you think that most visitors wouldn't want to first go to say Turkey, Morocco, Egypt, or even Iran, Iraq, or KSA (when all three get the various social/political ships in order to to speak that would make them viable host). I have never been to one but I think for visitors part of the fun of going to a WC is traveling different regions and cities of a nation and experiencing a variety within a nation. Is hanging out in the Doha metropolitan area really going to provide that for people? Is that really going to be as rich an experience as saying traveling to the major cities of those other nations? Heck, even the land/cities of the UAE seems extremely varied and diverse by when contrasted with Qatar.

It is talked about holding the hopes of a region but yet a measly million locals could have fun and take pride in such an event in regards to many tens of millions of people in the other cases. Why award an event to a populace of only one million (natives that is) when you can spread the joy to a nation of 20, 40, or +60 million people?

Quote:
A World Cup in the Mideast will create a bridge between the East and West, and have people converge in Qatar. It will also help create a better understanding of the region
If that hasn't worked the other way for decades I have my doubts.
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #332
Mo Rush

In other news, Australia 2018 have reduced its bid to Sydney, a city of 4 million plus, which will stage all World Cup matches.
England 2018 have followed their lead by reducing their bid to London which will need to build only a few new venues.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #333
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Mock all you want Mo Rush, the Decision will be made by the 24 Member Fifa executive committee.

Here is a quick map i drew.

Old May 12th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #334
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Sorry, I keep hearing this and it sounds awfully presumptuous. What makes you think that most visitors wouldn't want to first go to say Turkey, Morocco, Egypt, or even Iran, Iraq, or KSA (when all three get the various social/political ships in order to to speak that would make them viable host). I have never been to one but I think for visitors part of the fun of going to a WC is traveling different regions and cities of a nation and experiencing a variety within a nation. Is hanging out in the Doha metropolitan area really going to provide that for people? Is that really going to be as rich an experience as saying traveling to the major cities of those other nations? Heck, even the land/cities of the UAE seems extremely varied and diverse by when contrasted with Qatar.

It is talked about holding the hopes of a region but yet a measly million locals could have fun and take pride in such an event in regards to many tens of millions of people in the other cases. Why award an event to a populace of only one million (natives that is) when you can spread the joy to a nation of 20, 40, or +60 million people?
KSA & Iran: Sharia Law problem, Alcohol strictly banned, Women issues, Terrorism.
Iraq: War, Terrorism.
Egypt: Over population problems, Bad Quality, Bad Funding, Too many local problems.
Turkey & Morocco: No comment, i don't have enough information about them.
Qatar: So far, Expect Amazing .

And besides, most of the Fans would be from the Arab countries and specifically Saudi Arabian's, Football crazies.
Old May 13th, 2010, 12:17 AM   #335
Mo Rush

Nobody is mocking Qatar. We all know Qatar and Doha are amazing, with amazing sports events already hosted, world class sports venues in Doha and an amazing future.

What we would like those blinded by nationalism to understand is that Qatar only has ONE "major" city,when a World Cup requires 8-10 host cities.

Of course Doha could be a host city, and host 1 or possible even 2 venues, but NO, a city CANNOT host an entire World Cup, which is, faffling and wafflings aside, what Qatar is proposing.

Can you understand that cities like London, Manchester, Sydney, Melbourne, already with tons of venues and potential venues are only like to host 1 or 2 world venues i.e. 8 - 15 matches, NOT 64 matches Qatar is proposing in a country less than 20% the size of London.

Are we at least on the same page?
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old May 13th, 2010, 12:17 AM   #336
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

A perfect example of Family-Oriented Match, no alcohol was at this match and people had fun.

Last edited by Qatar Son 333; May 13th, 2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old May 13th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #337
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

I don't think international football fans need be taught the virtues of having "fun" at alcohol free football games. Most are not children and no how to enjoy themselves properly be it with alcohol or without, that is not the point.

The larger point for most I think would be that they wouldn't want it to be denied to them as if they are children who can't be expected to make the right decision to drink in moderation.
Old May 13th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #338
fizicki neradnik
Easily fooled

Ok WC 2022 can go to Qatar if you promise to support 2026 Monaco - San Marino bid.
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:34 AM   #339
qatarson
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Where they are going to sleep (what is the hotels capacity of Quatar ??)

For example, it would be like Paris (10,5 million inhabitants) hosting 8 million visitors in the same time.. = IMPOSSIBLE !
Paris, as the most visited city on earth, hosts around 2,8 millions visitors per month, and could hardly host much more !
realy !! Mecca city receive more than 3 million Muslims in same time (During Haj days) and in area less than 5 km where all these millions eat and sleep in this small area and every thing going well every year even the transports there is weak and no compare with Doha transports or hotels not this even in Ramadan (one month) mecca receive more than 15 million muslims during 30 days Also Dubai receive millions visitors during the festival days and Doha used to hosting big events over the past years did not make from scratch.

Olympic games event much larger than worldcup and everybody saw Doha 2016 result and how it is was close to Chicago, Madrid and tokyo but in world cup bid the qataris learned much of their experience in Doha 2016 and they determined to surprise the world as it is in their campaign ( EXPECT AMAZING ) so guys prepare yourselves to december surprise

Last edited by qatarson; May 13th, 2010 at 02:43 AM.
qatarson no está en línea  
Old May 13th, 2010, 04:14 AM   #340
Livno80101
studying

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizicki neradnik View Post
Ok WC 2022 can go to Qatar if you promise to support 2026 Monaco - San Marino bid.
I laughed out loud on this one

Now serious. I already wrote here that there is no possibility for Qatar to get this, in bidding for same Cup as USA and AUS are bidding... Australia is new world's football power, and with great infrastructure already there, and with fact that they never hosted it, they are favourites and will get it... I, personally, would like to watch WC here in USA, but this is possible in 2030 (as I already explained who's getting 2022), I think. So, Australia is getting it...

maybe, in some crazy combination, four Arabic countries could have bid together, get direct places in WC (take one place out of UEFA {13}, CAF {4}, CONMEBOL {3.5} and AFC {3.5}), had their borders opened for that month, each country builds 3 stadiums (enough for two groups) and they could get it (Qatar, Oman, UAE ans KSA)... but like this -
Livno80101 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
qatar 2022